What happened to the music?!

Options
TenaciousVix - Lost City
TenaciousVix - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
I've come back from a pretty long break from PWI to see EVERYTHING changed. Old factions gone. I would've expected the atmosphere to stay, but..

.. what happened to the old music?!
That beautiful music is gone. Replace with the boring music that comes on when you enter a small village.

Seriously? D: Whose idea was this?
Post edited by TenaciousVix - Lost City on

Comments

• TenaciousVix - Lost City
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Honestly, it feels like the game's lost all the soul it once had.
  • Liandri - Lothranis
    Liandri - Lothranis Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Honestly, it feels like the game's lost all the soul it once had.

Welcome to Imperfect world 2 years of corruption from the old Perfect World.
    Liten Men Tuff
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah, read up a bit, apparently, the music got messed up when Genesis hit.

Now it's just the same music, copy and pasted everywhere. Meh. Makes it hard to return when everything just feels so empty.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Over the past several months there have been numerous threads about this. If you "Verify Files" then it will re-download the music tracks and your game will be back like it was before. Some earlier patch corrupted the database on the local client for some reason.

There used to be a sticky on it in tech support, but I guess it's been so long that they figure anyone who had the issue has fixed it by now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Over the past several months there have been numerous threads about this. If you "Verify Files" then it will re-download the music tracks and your game will be back like it was before. Some earlier patch corrupted the database on the local client for some reason.

There used to be a sticky on it in tech support, but I guess it's been so long that they figure anyone who had the issue has fixed it by now.

But this is a fresh install.
    I'll try it, but still not getting my hopes up.
    edited August 2011
    Options
    But this is a fresh install.
    I'll try it, but still not getting my hopes up.

LOL maybe the DL version they are torrenting has the fault in it. I had that issue, verifying fixed it. Fixed a couple of other glitches too like the game crashing when I teleport to RT or Tellus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Options
    LOL maybe the DL version they are torrenting has the fault in it. I had that issue, verifying fixed it. Fixed a couple of other glitches too like the game crashing when I teleport to RT or Tellus.

I'm not torrenting. My brother says my ISP might throttle my connection if I do.
    Getting it straight from the download thing, but I'll boot up my newly verified client. See if anything changes.
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Getting it straight from the Direct Download link, installs Pando Media booster to download the files. Pando media booster is torrent software. Pretty much both options available to download right now are torrents. One you know is a torrent and the other is sneaking torrent software onto your system

After you finish downloading uninstall Pando Media booster. I also recommend submitting a ticket explaining that you will not put up with being force fed torrent software to do "direct download" It's not direct at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I downloaded the old instrumental version of 'fly with me' and replaced the crappy login music with that awesome one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Lanova - Dreamweaver
    Lanova - Dreamweaver Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hang on I think I missed something here you mean there's more music in this game other than the same 3 or 4 awful themes that always play in the background? Honestly I find that to be unbearable and just doesn't fit in most places. But I don't think I quite see what is being suggested here because verifying didn't change anything. Is there a different or special place to be re-downloading things? I don't enjoy playing games with the music off but this game really gave me no choice sadly.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hang on I think I missed something here you mean there's more music in this game other than the same 3 or 4 awful themes that always play in the background? Honestly I find that to be unbearable and just doesn't fit in most places. But I don't think I quite see what is being suggested here because verifying didn't change anything. Is there a different or special place to be re-downloading things? I don't enjoy playing games with the music off but this game really gave me no choice sadly.

Go to pwi/element/music

(or whatever, it's somewhere in the element folder)

There's actually quite a lot of music, just the ones called common_ or city_ are ALWAYS used.

I replaced the Earthguard login music with the original Perfect World music by copypasting it in, and renaming to what the earthguard music was called.

Everyone is telling the OP to verify files because they think they she is making a post about missing music that is currently in game. When you're missing music files (that should be there), verifying usually works, but the game has just been patched so the music has been taken away and it's not supposed to be there anymore.

If I verified, my old PW music would again be replaced by lame earthguard music.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • ShinSein - Harshlands
    ShinSein - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Go to pwi/element/music

There's actually quite a lot of music, just the ones called common_ or city_ are ALWAYS used.

I replaced the Earthguard login music with the original Perfect World music by copypasting it in, and renaming to what the earthguard music was called.

Everyone is telling the OP to verify files because they think they she is making a post about missing music that is currently in game. When you're missing music files (that should be there), verifying usually works, but the game has just been patched so the music has been taken away and it's not supposed to be there anymore.

If I verified, my old PW music would again be replaced by lame earthguard music.

Thanks for the info :D now I can listen to my old music...although my own techno mix was a good replacement at the time :P
    [SIGPIC]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/ZeroAngel08/Shinsein.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks goes to Dorset!
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

ShinSein - Harshlands (Alt/Main)
    Shinsetsu - Lothranis (French Main)
    +Bring sexy back - Complete b:victory
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Go to pwi/element/music

^ THIS.

I was just wondering the other day if you could do something like this. I mean, it shouldn't be bannable, right? You're not modifying game files, you're just renaming them and moving around already-existing content, for a harmless purpose.

For those who asked about where the old music is: fresh installs of Genesis do not come with any music except the **** Earthguard login/etc. On my new laptop (as of July), I installed Genesis, and it can't play any other music. My desktop, by contrast, has been around since April of 2010, so it got a Rising Tide install. All the music is still intact, save for the replaced login theme which annoys the living hell out of me every time I enter a minor village (or Etherblade) with the music on. >_> But I'm going to try this tonight. Then I'm going to see if I can't manually copy the old music files to the laptop.

For those who can't fix it - there are soundtrack compilations out there if you look for them. They should have all the old music in them.

EDIT: Let me just throw out that the old music was just awesome. It fit the theme of the game perfectly. Every time I enter Plume City with the music on, it feels nostalgic. :P Sadly, the music has become one of the biggest examples of how the new devs are just completely out of touch with what this game was supposed to be.

And that's not even counting how the new install package completely fails to install 90% of the music. That's just unforgivable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Go to pwi/element/music

Actually all of the old music is still there. It hasn't all been replaced with the new Earthguard music. In fact, the only locations where music changed are in the login screen with the new video, and in the new areas. (the new areas didn't technically get changed though as the music was supposed to be there.)

I verified and all of my old PW music returned to where it was in the game. It's a known fix, and there did used to be a sticky a couple months ago about it. Basically they released that game, screwed up and didn't load the EG tracks. Then in fixing the EG tracks in a patch, killed the other tracks. Why they can't seem to make a functioning patch to fix it all instead of having people verify I don't know. I'm not in China talking to the Dev's. I'm just telling you that the tried and true method is to verify the files. That fixes it. It just takes a while to download them all. The largest failure is the kids getting impatient and cancelling it before it finishes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i had verfied files, got music and now after few updates music is missing again..

why it has to be so buggy? :S
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i had verfied files, got music and now after few updates music is missing again..

why it has to be so buggy? :S

Because we have noob Chinese Dev's improperly translating the client and code to English, not properly taking the time to test it, and then shipping it to us.

Not to mention that they fired everyone that was familiar with the source code so the new guys are shooting in the dark half the time when they do actually try to fix something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]