"Want to learn how to duplicate your item?" Scam

VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
So I've seen more and more in world chat lately of people claiming that their items dropped after someone whispered them asking them to do this, mostly weapons. At first, I didn't believe it because surely they dropped their own items by mistake or traded to someone they shouldn't have and are making it up, right? Except, for the past two days several people have reported the same thing happening. So either it's a real thing, or it's the most elaborate troll yet. Has anyone else heard of this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
Pusillanimous:
1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
Post edited by VenusArmani - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Not yet, but I hope it's a troll... ( but I must agree it's quite hard to be a troll )
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2011
    Not yet, but I hope it's a troll... ( but I must agree it's quite hard to be a troll )

Well its been about 10-12 people over the course of 2 days is the thing, so unless someone created 2 accounts and switched to all of their alt and spammed this at different times of the day for the sole purpose of pretending to be ripped off....then again this is PWI we're talking about. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I remember I got scammed by that when I was 11 years old playing RS.
    good times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
    edited August 2011
    I remember I got scammed by that when I was 11 years old playing RS.
    good times.

See the thing is though, is there a glitch to make the weapon drop or is it them being greedy and dropping their weapons hoping it duplicates and then going D: scam when the other person picks it up. I'm thinking it's the latter one and that they are not telling the truth. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask if any others have heard of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    Asgardeus - Sanctuary Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Sounds like 'duping', practically cloning items... I think it basically works by cheating the server knowing where a certain item is. So it might end up at the new owner and still be at the giver too. So yea, practically cloned.

And this sounds a new scam to me. As far as I know, duping isn't possible on PWI and I'd guess those people probably gave the scammer their items and he vanished with them o.o
    Or you're right and it's only one guy making it all up lol Not like it's too impossible on PWI. People can go so deep to trash talk someone...

Dunno Venus, but to me it sounds like someone found a few victims that actually fell victim to their own greed and handed over their **** to strangers o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    but to me it sounds like someone found a few victims that actually fell victim to their own greed and handed over their **** to strangers o.o

And if it's so, serves them good for beeing greedy b:chuckle
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Duping is impossible on PWI's servers and quite hard to do on most private servers.

This new "trend" Venus speaks of is just a new scamming method, since the old ones don't quite work anymore (eg. tokens, "let me try it on").
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Heh. Normally I'd have more sympathy for the person who got scammed - but anyone who gets scammed while trying to cheat deserves it.
  • haphazardness
    haphazardness Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    The scammer gives someones pots/arrows or something similar, usually 2 arrows 1 pot. They then give the person being scammed some instructions and in the end they will tell you to drop the potion.. Dropping this potion results in your weapon slot being dropped.
  • pilamiii
    pilamiii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    The dupe thing is a scam ofcourse, but u can lose your stuff even if you don't do anything yourself. There are people dropping potions with 0 as their price, and if u pick one of those by accident or so from the ground, some of your stuff will disappear. This happened to a very close and trustable friend of mine, he saw a potion in arch and grabbed it only to notice his warsoul helm disappeared and was nowhere to be found, so be careful!!!!!
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I can sorta see how a glitch makes you auto drop something thats equipped and maybe on hotkey if someone asks you to start switching around pots and arrows they just gave you. But dont you have to be in the same party to pick someones else gear if they drop it b/c of a glitch or accident? If i drop something on the ground no on can pick it up but me for a couple of seconds O_O

You could actually duplicate items back in 2008. Was a really high fail rate tho (than you lost the item as well) so the people using it often lost as much as they gained. Like in most MMOs, during the first year loads of hacks/third-party programs are working before devs starts to patch things up.

Dunno if i can feel sorry for the guys getting scammed here tho. Its kinda your own fault if you're trying to dupe items after being approached by a complete stranger. Why would someone out of nowhere come and help you cheat?
  • hanfknolle
    hanfknolle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Its some one on Dreamweaver that says he can give free gold or coins and peoples need give the Account informations .. sorry but peoples dumb b:bye
  • ShoeFury - Sanctuary
    ShoeFury - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    You could actually duplicate items back in 2008. Was a really high fail rate tho (than you lost the item as well) so the people using it often lost as much as they gained.

Really? I never saw anyone speaking about dupeing items back in 2008. Or was it in MY?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Joined Aug 2008 on HT--
    Just lurkin' the forums these days and makin' occassional stupid posts
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    So I've seen more and more in world chat lately of people claiming that their items dropped after someone whispered them asking them to do this, mostly weapons. At first, I didn't believe it because surely they dropped their own items by mistake or traded to someone they shouldn't have and are making it up, right? Except, for the past two days several people have reported the same thing happening. So either it's a real thing, or it's the most elaborate troll yet. Has anyone else heard of this?

Actually he was going to trade me Gornox and ended trading me flaming fist out of my 750K.
  • /aron - Dreamweaver42
    /aron - Dreamweaver42 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    At least it is new to me and, frankly, I am not sure what, if anything, can or will be done about it.

For sake of narrowing it down, I play PvE on the Dreamweaver server so I am unsure if it has been happening on other servers as well.

Out of nowhere, somebody will PM others saying : "Want to see a trick ? How to make 2 things out of 1" and, when people agree, they lose their items.

I have gotten the PMs a few times and always refused since I figured it was a scam of some sort but MANY others on the server are losing their items. Shame on them for falling for it, true, BUT that does not make it ok.

Apparently, how this works is they will ask to see something in the trade window and, without even clicking trade, they get the item anyways. I am not sure how it happens since I always though trades and items were server side things but, apparently, someone **** it or created a program to grab items without people trading them.

I have a list of 4 names who have done it thus far but will not name them on here as I believe this is a "no name or shame" forum.

As for reporting them, that makes it much harder. It would be foolish to report them for simply sending a pm saying "Want to see a trick how to make 2 items out of 1" since, as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with the sentence as it is and, the action itself is just done without anything saying so. You show item in trade window, close the window without trading and then find out your item is simply gone. All you could do is take a screenshot of having the item before and not after but, again, that proves absolutely nothing.

Thankfully I have not been scammed (though they tried) but I do feel for those not wise enough to better than to allow themselves to be victims.

Any ideas from mods, GMs, or others about this issue ?
  • NonameWiz - Sanctuary
    NonameWiz - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I have 19,000 sadcards, make it 38,000 plzzzzzzzz. Ty <3
    Rank 8 Wizard: 1% farm b:shutup
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited August 2011
    At least it is new to me and, frankly, I am not sure what, if anything, can or will be done about it.

For sake of narrowing it down, I play PvE on the Dreamweaver server so I am unsure if it has been happening on other servers as well.

Out of nowhere, somebody will PM others saying : "Want to see a trick ? How to make 2 things out of 1" and, when people agree, they lose their items.

I have gotten the PMs a few times and always refused since I figured it was a scam of some sort but MANY others on the server are losing their items. Shame on them for falling for it, true, BUT that does not make it ok.

Apparently, how this works is they will ask to see something in the trade window and, without even clicking trade, they get the item anyways. I am not sure how it happens since I always though trades and items were server side things but, apparently, someone **** it or created a program to grab items without people trading them.

I have a list of 4 names who have done it thus far but will not name them on here as I believe this is a "no name or shame" forum.

As for reporting them, that makes it much harder. It would be foolish to report them for simply sending a pm saying "Want to see a trick how to make 2 items out of 1" since, as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with the sentence as it is and, the action itself is just done without anything saying so. You show item in trade window, close the window without trading and then find out your item is simply gone. All you could do is take a screenshot of having the item before and not after but, again, that proves absolutely nothing.

Thankfully I have not been scammed (though they tried) but I do feel for those not wise enough to better than to allow themselves to be victims.

Any ideas from mods, GMs, or others about this issue ?

Report them using this sentence. That is encouraging other players to take part in a bug/cheat/exploit, and I'm pretty sure they could get banned for it.

I've seen a few reports on this, so I'm going to send something to frankie about this to let him know something's up. Thanks for everyone who's reported it!

b:thanks

EDIT: Also, if anyone else has experienced this, please post here with as much information (other than names) possible, so that the GMs will have something to look at to test the problem.

EDIT x 2: Merged the newer thread with VenusArmani's thread on the same subject.
  • TattooAngel - Archosaur
    TattooAngel - Archosaur Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I used to have a problem with my Steppenwolf Lord's Cape dropping in dungeons whenever I dropped the items that the boss dropped so the tabber could have them. Is that what you mean?
  • HardnHeavy - Raging Tide
    HardnHeavy - Raging Tide Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I know duping issue from another mmorpg. This game was closed after few weeks because GMs couldn't fix it. If it will happen to PWI I hope devs have enough skills to fix it because 2 days with duping without perma ban for abuser kill the economy and the game.
    edited August 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Report them using this sentence. That is encouraging other players to take part in a bug/cheat/exploit, and I'm pretty sure they could get banned for it.

I've seen a few reports on this, so I'm going to send something to frankie about this to let him know something's up. Thanks for everyone who's reported it!

b:thanks

EDIT: Also, if anyone else has experienced this, please post here with as much information (other than names) possible, so that the GMs will have something to look at to test the problem.

EDIT x 2: Merged the newer thread with VenusArmani's thread on the same subject.

Any word from frankie?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Aedrian - Lost City
    Aedrian - Lost City Posts: 750 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Any updates on this topic?
    <"shameless self-bump :D" Alexenokin - Lost City>
    -102% channeling self buffed wizzie, ready to shoot ^.^ (And -107% on Demon Spark, **** refines, I got turbo)

*WTB: -12~-18% chan stuff, pm me in here or in game for details*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    Bump b:victory
  • Nine_strikes - Dreamweaver
    Nine_strikes - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    This has happened to me just the other day. i know exactly how this lil,,,"trick" is done now. so if GM's need to know exactly how to do and and fix this glitch, i will gladly let u know how. its quite simple really. i want my helm back. ~removed~ i think i got it spelled right was the one who did it to me. a cleric. lvl 39 in lost. be careful all. he talked to a few friends of mine also.
  • burtr
    burtr Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    No sypmathy for the victims in these scams? They're greedy, right? Serves them right?

LOL, I suppose not a single one of you higher than thou types have ever taken advantage of any glitches in the game? Please... don't speak like you're Jesus reborn unless you're the purist person on earth. You're all guilty of greed and cheating once in your life... don't be hypocrits and talk down to others as if you're better. Learn to have a little understanding and sympathy before you consider yourself a better human being.
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    burtr wrote: »
    No sypmathy for the victims in these scams? They're greedy, right? Serves them right?

LOL, I suppose not a single one of you higher than thou types have ever taken advantage of any glitches in the game? Please... don't speak like you're Jesus reborn unless you're the purist person on earth. You're all guilty of greed and cheating once in your life... don't be hypocrits and talk down to others as if you're better. Learn to have a little understanding and sympathy before you consider yourself a better human being.

Wow. Lecturing people about lecturing people. That's funny.

Anyway, on topic with the whole scam thing, people have been posting about being scammed by someone via PM but what I'm concerned about is what someone posted that you could drop an item if you pick something up, is this a valid concern or just a rumor? If people need to be careful when it comes to picking things up it would be nice to know so I could post on my guild site warning people about it.
  • burtr
    burtr Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Wow. Lecturing people about lecturing people. That's funny.

Anyway, on topic with the whole scam thing, people have been posting about being scammed by someone via PM but what I'm concerned about is what someone posted that you could drop an item if you pick something up, is this a valid concern or just a rumor? If people need to be careful when it comes to picking things up it would be nice to know so I could post on my guild site warning people about it.

Funny or not, it's better than just keeping quiet as you watch one person verbally abuse another.

It's people that turn a blind eye to common courtesy that promote such behavior... but of course, when it happens to someone else, it's because they're too stupid. Then it happens to you... you shouldn't be picking up stuff off the floor anyway... right?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    If you could clone an item, what kind of idiot would make that info public. You dont need to be a genius to know the more you keep secret, the more profit u make

with that logic put aside,

whoevers being asked this (scammed) needs to think why a total stranger is sharind them a MULTIMILLION COIN PROFIT STRATEGY. before running to the GMs and crying momma.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    burtr wrote: »

Seem's you enjoy stereotyping people. While humans are prone to greed, cheating, lust, etc; not everyone has these vices in-game. If we're speaking via in-game, greed is valid. Players can work the market, be greedy, etc. As for the people who glitch goons... Oh well? It's not new news that when glitches are found in any game, some people take advantage of them. Things like Gameshark and Action Replay for old video game systems became popular for these very reasons.

The people who don't glitch things in-game, good for them. I'm proud to say, my Barb's level is purely from WQ/CS/OHT/Cube, everyday. Nowadays, I just do Cube as my form of exp per day, however. At 55% already, and I don't glitch goons. There is no point for myself to push 105.
  • zionwarrior
    zionwarrior Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    agreed trem same with I_Love_Pets OG veno to 100 without a care for plvling it. I never hypered it an have since retired it an moved on to a new server for now at least rank6 farmed completely got discouraged with rep sales though an bought rank8 tbh I am disappointed in myself for doing so since it didnt feel the same as when I earned it.
    That aside to the person acting high and mighty himself with "judgement" on his side point of view. I do not feel sympathy for those who try to abuse a bug and get scammed. Sympathy and empathy are different learn them and then come back and ask again. I feel empathetic for those who get scammed without understanding what happened. I do not care for synpathy its not helpful and just promotes things that arnt needed. Empathy is far more helpful it means you try to understand them and are willing and will do what you can to help.
    340e1f28-2806-453d-8005-5420e7eb9a6b.jpg
    Check my older posts by profile I am far older than 2010 I was from beta just got on forums in 2008 otc for the first time.
  • Aedrian - Lost City
    Aedrian - Lost City Posts: 750 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    This has happened to me just the other day. i know exactly how this lil,,,"trick" is done now. so if GM's need to know exactly how to do and and fix this glitch, i will gladly let u know how. its quite simple really. i want my helm back. ~removed~ i think i got it spelled right was the one who did it to me. a cleric. lvl 39 in lost. be careful all. he talked to a few friends of mine also.

If you know how to, Why not to post it? That way we can all be aware of that, and avoid more victims.
    <"shameless self-bump :D" Alexenokin - Lost City>
    -102% channeling self buffed wizzie, ready to shoot ^.^ (And -107% on Demon Spark, **** refines, I got turbo)

*WTB: -12~-18% chan stuff, pm me in here or in game for details*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]