anyone noticed people getting **** much lately?

Options
XCurse - Dreamweaver
XCurse - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
anyone know people that got **** lately? about 5 of my friends got **** this month encoding me b:sad and lost all unbound stuff +money. and ofc GMs did not refund the missing items.
the way i see it someone found a way to go throw the game security and **** a person every week. so as an advice set ur safety code and put all ur money in bank or AH. because GM will never refund anything u lose even tho it's their fault not getting better security system.
Post edited by XCurse - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• LilNai - Harshlands
    LilNai - Harshlands Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Id point at your faction website getting **** or something and people using the same logins.

Far more likely tho, is you all need to share your accounts less :)
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    anyone know people that got **** lately? about 5 of my friends got **** this month encoding me b:sad and lost all unbound stuff +money. and ofc GMs did not refund the missing items.
    the way i see it someone found a way to go throw the game security and **** a person every week. so as an advice set ur safety code and put all ur money in bank or AH. because GM will never refund anything u lose even tho it's their fault not getting better security system.

Either that, or you all shared your passwords and user names with someone who wanted all your junk.

Alternatively, you used a really easily guessed password, like dog, or 123456789, and they guessed it really easily (or used a program to guess it for them).

PWE could have the best password encryption system in the universe, but if you use bunny as a password, it's easily broken. >_>
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Options

The odd thing is, for the 6 people that you say got ****, there are hundreds upon hundreds of players who haven't reported having been ****. This leads me to believe a couple of things...

Either:

1) You shared your account information, and someone got mad and drained your account.

2) You accidentally downloaded a keylogger and it recorded your password (unlikely, with most anti-virus programs now).

Probably the first.

Either that, or you all shared your passwords and user names with someone who wanted all your junk.

Alternatively, you used a really easily guessed password, like dog, or 123456789, and they guessed it really easily (or used a program to guess it for them).

PWE could have the best password encryption system in the universe, but if you use bunny as a password, it's easily broken. >_>

Even then, they have to know your username. That's not something that can be found out unless you tell them or they have a keylogger on the computer.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure well over half these so-called "hacks" involve player stupidity in one form or another (giving people you account info in some way, falling for offers that are obviously fake and getting trojans/keyloggers/etc as a result, etc).

I've had my account here for a rather large amount of time, and I've never given my account details to anyone. I also know what PWI's website URL is and don't fall for any obvious scams like "free gold" or whatever. Not once has my account been "****" on this, or any of the other games I play.

Heck, just remembering to change your password on occasion or even using a GOOD password (symbols, numbers, letters, more than the minimum character limit) increase the likelihood of not having to deal with the "account hacking" people tend to QQ over.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    <_< It's literally impossible to be **** here, unless you shared your account info or downloaded a keylogger or something similar. NEVER tell your info to anyone, even if you trust them!

I've...personally broke that rule, though, but only one person other than myself knows MY info, and since he lives with me, I can kick his tush if he does anything. :3

Edit: b:surrender Kritty & kossy ninja'd me.

I, like kossy, have never been ****, because I practice safety and discretion with my info, especially for things I may have spent money on at one point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Even then, they have to know your username. That's not something that can be found out unless you tell them or they have a keylogger on the computer.

Or it's just the same as your character name/core connect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    1. I have reported a 'hacking' and got my items back, which i am very thankful for, that happening.

2. If they **** into the website, then it would be reasonable to think that they could also easily get the bank password, which would be really bad for the player, and would null in void the safety password for gear.

Also for the record my password used to be weak, and I did NOT share my account, but knock on wood, I did get my items back. :)... I also didn't share my username login with anyone, and i haven't used that name for nay of my characters on this game, I also know it wasn't a keylogger or they would have grabbed my other account with a lot more potential for liquidation. =x
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Or it's just the same as your character name/core connect.

O.o I recall seeing when my roomie signed up, that the page will NOT allow you to use the same name for your "forum" name and your login name. It's encoded into the page to not allow you to continue if they're the same XD

I don't think they used to have that though...at least not when I signed up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Kritty and Jeremied are exactly right. With the security algorithms that they use in the game client now, it is virtually impossible to get "****". 99.9% of the time it's exactly what Kritty said. Also Kritty, I do tech support, and you would be surprised at how many people out there either don't have a good virus scanner, or don't have an updated one. They typically have the Norton/McAffee/Trend Micro scanner that came with the 90 day trial with their computer they bought 3 years ago. It still sits there, but won't update and it just wasting ram.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    Options
    you would be surprised at how many people out there either don't have a good virus scanner, or don't have an updated one. They typically have the Norton/McAffee/Trend Micro scanner that came with the 90 day trial with their computer they bought 3 years ago. It still sits there, but won't update and it just wasting ram.

b:surrender *guilty as charged*

...Still never been ****. XP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The odd thing is, for the 6 people that you say got ****, there are hundreds upon hundreds of players who haven't reported having been ****. This leads me to believe a couple of things...

Either:

1) You shared your account information, and someone got mad and drained your account.

2) You accidentally downloaded a keylogger and it recorded your password (unlikely, with most anti-virus programs now).

Probably the first.

You don't have to give away any account information or key loggers to get ****. Regardless of how information is stored or how good a program is, anything can be **** with proper coding and knowledge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • truekossy
    edited August 2011
    Options

Yeah. It used to not do that, hence some people with older accounts got the great idea of using the same forum name as their account name. Needless to say, lots of QQ about core connect showing your username from the people who were stupid enough (no offense, but it IS stupid) to do that.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Yeah. It used to not do that, hence some people with older accounts got the great idea of using the same forum name as their account name. Needless to say, lots of QQ about core connect showing your username from the people who were stupid enough (no offense, but it IS stupid) to do that.

I think PWE absolved themselves of responsibility for that though, because they recommended that you not use the same name for both. Not sure about that, but I think that's what I remember.

You don't have to give away any account information or key loggers to get ****. Regardless of how information is stored or how good a program is, anything can be **** with proper coding and knowledge.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be willing to get that in-depth for accounts on this game when other games have more lucrative (and easily obtained) assets...
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I think PWE absolved themselves of responsibility for that though, because they recommended that you not use the same name for both. Not sure about that, but I think that's what I remember.

[COLOR=#00FFAA]I find it hard to believe that anyone would be willing to get that in-depth for accounts on this game when other games have more lucrative (and easily obtained) assets...[/COLOR]

What you don't understand my very intelligent mod, is that some people just **** for fun. Not every hacker goes around hacking for money,ID theft etc. And some like a challenge btw, not every hacker goes around saying "omg tis game r eazy to **** lol".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • sethh
    sethh Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It is not.
    People is being more stupid nowadays.
    b:pleasedI'm ignorant :)
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would be willing to get that in-depth for accounts on this game when other games have more lucrative (and easily obtained) assets...

If this was true, then why was there a Bot problem in China?

And yeah, a good bit of hacking now is for 'just because'.

I knew a kid in HS who got expelled because he broke into the servers constantly. Grades were stored on a stand-alone, non-internet server. There was no real reason for him to break in... But he did.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • XCurse - Dreamweaver
    XCurse - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't think it's from me i use kaspersky as antivirus and if it was from me my other account would have been **** as well. explain this...

i play this game for 3 yrs now and i never seen people getting **** like this.

and no they won't refund u anything if they hacker did not keep the items. if he sells them they will tell u they sold to this person at this day for this much of money but they will not refund u. they will ban the person ofc but comon if the person is using alt what's the point.
    i am still losing my items and he got away with it.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I thought all your **** was bound anyway, Jami?
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • NoIan - Dreamweaver
    NoIan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    here what they told me when i got ****

~removed~

and still no reply from them. so b:bye for my items and urs when u get ****
    I thought all your **** was bound anyway, Jami?

not in this account
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yes, actually http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1164791 I wonder if we have a legitimate hacker or if it's people being careless with their stuff....strange that its only Dreamweaver people
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • /dwinCastor - Dreamweaver58
    /dwinCastor - Dreamweaver58 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    O.o I recall seeing when my roomie signed up, that the page will NOT allow you to use the same name for your "forum" name and your login name. It's encoded into the page to not allow you to continue if they're the same XD

I don't really know much about core connect, but this has me a little curious. On my accounts I see my login name displayed above my avatar when I go to my core connect home page. Is this the same thing others see when they view it?
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't really know much about core connect, but this has me a little curious. On my accounts I see my login name displayed above my avatar when I go to my core connect home page. Is this the same thing others see when they view it?

Yep.

PWE pretty much gives your login name out for free. All they have to do is try to brute force it if they want, or fish for your password using some other means.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    Options
    <_< When I check my Core pages, it doesn't show my login name at all. It does shows my forum nickname above my icon, but not my login. Nickname and login are different things. <.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    <_< When I check my Core pages, it doesn't show my login name at all. It does shows my forum nickname above my icon, but not my login. Nickname and login are different things. <.<

No, but when Core first came out, and every now and then when they break something, it will show your login name instead of your nickname. I had a friend that used a really hard login name and a simple password. When core first came out his account got compromised because of it. Someone that knew his was able to guess the password fairly easily. And because the GM's would not replace his gear, he quit the game. Which is really sad because he was a damn good player and spent oodles of cash on his gear.
  • truekossy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yep.

PWE pretty much gives your login name out for free. All they have to do is try to brute force it if they want, or fish for your password using some other means.
    No, but when Core first came out, and every now and then when they break something, it will show your login name instead of your nickname. I had a friend that used a really hard login name and a simple password. When core first came out his account got compromised because of it. Someone that knew his was able to guess the password fairly easily. And because the GM's would not replace his gear, he quit the game. Which is really sad because he was a damn good player and spent oodles of cash on his gear.
    See:
    truekossy wrote: »

It's not that Core is showing your login name purposefully or via it breaking. It's people who use their login name as their default forum (aka your ? avatar) name. Easy way to tell? Use forum search and type in the name visible on core connect in the search by user name area. If it auto-completes with the name you used showing up, it's your forum name too instead of being just your login. If it doesn't, then you're fine. (IE: searching for the first part of my own username will bring up a list of several names... but none will be my actual username. My forum name (which is what shows up when you view my core), on the other hand, obviously will get results that include my forum name from the partial search.
  • HellWariorB - Raging Tide
    HellWariorB - Raging Tide Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    As KrittyCat says many ppl give very easy they account info or make the user name and pass very easy to figure out.
    Personally i shared my info with a good friend of mine after 1 year of playing together that long took for us to trust each other but i advise ppl to not do that.
    Anyway plss be careful.
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i heard that people who joined Feb 2011 and have level 105 toon should be more afraid from hacking b:laugh
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    In light of this surge of hackers going after websites it wouldn't be surprising if at some point usernames were compromised here too. However, it's doubtful those type of hackers care about your in-game **** to log in and NPC it.. lol. Therefore, calling them "hackers" is disingenuous, as in, misleading, because 99% of the time people's accounts in MMO's, especially the F2P variety, are compromised in this fashion because people freely share their account/password. It's really not that complicated. I've played MMO's since 1996 and I've not a single time ever had my account compromised. Guess what? I've also never shared my account info. Surprise surprise.
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    Randamu - Harshlands Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bit much to read all of the posts but as was already mentioned it's very very very unlikely that an actual hacker is responsible for any of this - let alone several. People really underestimate the skill one needs to actually be a hacker. These PW "hacks" are almost certainly related to account sharing and other player stupidity.
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

:o Hm, the name displayed for me is different. I remember long long time ago when registering it gave me an option to choose a dif name for the forums or w/e and I did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]