So I want to work at PWE.

Nahla - Harshlands
Nahla - Harshlands Posts: 26 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Not as a GM though, like most others.
I think I'd be a horrible GM.

I looked at the PWE job application section of the website and I think I would really like working on their marketing team.

I've been playing PWI for 2 years now and I've played through so many changes in the game.
Some of which have been amazing, such as all the new content, classes and things to do. As well as many changes that have dramatically changed gameplay in PWI.
Such as the gold jump from 90k to nearly 2m at some points, numerous pack sales and also the everlasting lovehate relationship with the notorious "General Summer's Sale".

Like many players of my "generation", we'll always miss the good innocent days often called "pre anni-pack". But we also have to be thankful for all the new content that the high boutique sales have gotten us as a playerbase.

Myself, not being a heavy CS-er have had to do a lot of merching, farming and saving to reach goals that I've set for myself over the time I've been playing PWI. Such as getting R8, Herc and *most* of a Nix without CSing. I know the market, and how the sales affect it.

I've always wanted to do work in business, but I've always wanted to have a job or career that isn't "OH LORD TIME TO GO TO WORK AND MAKE MONEY BECAUSE IF I DONT I'LL DIE I HATE WORK ****" situation.

Video games, specifically MMOs are definitely my passion. PWI has been my favorite game out of all the one's I've played F2P and P2P.

So just looking for thoughts and suggestions, does anyone think I should go through with it?

Just from the looks of it, the current "marketing" team seem like they lack members who are themselves truly passionate about the game they work for.
Of course many of the things they do, such as repeated sales seem very "greedy", because of how the game appears to be sinking deeper into the depths of hell. But we also need to realize that PWE as a large company with many employees to pay requires a large amount of money to run and also expand.

As a playerbase we also need to understand and realize that the video game industry is NOT a "nonprofit" industry. GMs and devs don't do their jobs as a charity for us, and we need to respect and understand that.

However as a game development company in charge of such a massive playerbase, PWE also needs to understand and be shown that there are better ways to generate profit from something with as much potential as PWI than to squeeze every drop of cash out of it and then toss it once it's drained, create a new game, rinse, repeat etc.
Post edited by Nahla - Harshlands on

Comments

• Zaeh - Dreamweaver
    Zaeh - Dreamweaver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    lol...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Graviora - 101;cleric].__.[Zaeh - 8X;psychic].__.[Diabelle - 100;sin]
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    You would really want to work for such a horribly managed company?, I've no idea how you can even be remotely happy with where this game has gone, along with the horrible pack sales and other horribly thought up sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Dethprowl - Raging Tide
    Dethprowl - Raging Tide Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Thats funny OP. From what I can tell nobody works at PWE.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I have read all you wrote and I fully agree...

That said, I think that PWE has to meet the main office's demands, which of course means a crapload of profit.

With the particularity of some boutique items being permanent (fashion, aerogears, mounts, mostly) and that you can buy them from other gamers via coins*, there is a need to make money over this F2P somehow.

The PWE marketing department felt that it's all about gambling (packs) and sales and the release of new useless items once in a blue moon, not caring about the idea that items stockpile in players' inventories and that demand may lower after a while. This is made worse because of gold rate and waves of quitting gamers.

That said, the most damaging point is that this community is in danger. It has become quite rotten with vulgarity, discrimination ('only R9 and 5aps accepted for instance' etc.) and greed, among other plagues.
    The other side of it is that there are very important demands to have longtime bugs fixed and proposals for a better experience... Yet those are more often than not ignored... If they ever get fixed, the delay is generally too long for the effort to be praised.
    It's a bit sad to say this to you, frankie, but I cannot lie on this. Sorry.

To sum it up, to make a company successful and viable on the very long term, a few crucial points got to be observed:

- Respond to your customers' needs before all. Money will flow easily if so;
    - Monitor your marketing ways, aim for quality, don't be stale if anything;
    - Make everyone respect your code. If you are too nice, no one will listen to you. If you are too desperate and aim for punishment, only riot will follow (e.g. the recent brutal filter affair);
    - Always prove your point, sometimes by official documents. People have enough of empty promises, as there are a ton of it in politics.

I have yet to see those put (back?) into action these days.

Thanks for reading.

*I have to add it's one of the primary reasons why I joined the game and am still here, yet gold rate is utterly stupid now. In the other minor F2P MMO I play, you have about no sense of possession over boutique items, as they are ALL either with a duration or upon use... so I prefer PWI still... But nowadays not by a wide margin.

P.S.: I never invested much in the game, save for lots of time. I am glad I chose that way. I am loyal to the game and I play it a lot still, yet all I have stated above is too bothering for me. I wish it was solved somehow. Ah, nostalgia...
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    edited August 2011
    I'm just considering the option.
    It seems like something I'd be really good for and it'd be working with something I love haha.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Thats funny OP. From what I can tell nobody works at PWE.

zomg I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!

This is so true, seriously...

Or it's just an angry guy in a some moldy basement hitting a keyboard with a chair.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Manostra - Harshlands
    Manostra - Harshlands Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    PWE is demanding

You might need some degrees in Buissnes Administration and Media Design aswell you must be willing to move to wherever their office is located. Youre not working exclusive for one game Title but for all. Your Job will include the marketing of new titles aswell.

Compassion alone isn't enough to get that job.

Hope you have some references to throw in, anyways good luck.
    I hate Room 38
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    As someone who's worked for marketing in the game industry, simply knowing a few things about certain aspects of the game isn't of much value -- you'd get just as far simply showing interest in the game and company itself in the interview. Being able to network, knowing how to talk to the media, expanding contacts of which one can mutually benefit, and knowing how to tailor a product to as many people as possible is part of marketing. It's more sociology, communication, and interpersonal relationships than business. Business is more for other departments like HR/management, finance/accounting, and so on. The F2P industry isn't so extensive in these types of departments like say Google or Microsoft or Sony. Often times they have people performing tasks of diverse job types -- marketing, customer service, liaison work, QA, and so on, more of the small business nature, so being able to fit into multiple roles within a company like PW is going to be far more a leg up than simply playing the game often. Oh, and don't even think of being a North American and conveying to your Chinese bosses that they're greedy. They don't care. They'll fire you. Working for a company like PWE means dealing with the constant frustration of how the (foreign and seemingly often aloof) parent company runs things.

If you really want to see how a game job is, start at the bottom -- QA tester, for a respectable game company. That will certainly test your mettle as far as being able to handle games as "work" and not so much "fun".
  • SoniMax - Sanctuary
    SoniMax - Sanctuary Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I'd like to work as a janitor for PWE and they would pay me in zen :D b:victory
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15081871001&dateline=1339865979[/SIGPIC]
    They see me trollin`
    They hatin`
    Patrolling they tryin` to catch me writin` dirty
    Tryin to catch me writin` dirty X4
    My music so loud
    I'm flamin`
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I'd like to work as a janitor for PWE and they would pay me in zen :D b:victory

That would be a complete waste... Like some local kid who worked at Target and asked to get paid in Pokemon cards. Seriously, wtf?
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I get paid in pretzels and beer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    That would be a complete waste... Like some local kid who worked at Target and asked to get paid in Pokemon cards. Seriously, wtf?

Like 12 years ago I wudda loved to be paid that lol
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Great, so everyone can flame and hate you too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • Hideori - Lost City
    Hideori - Lost City Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    lololol

it wants to work at pwe lololol. pwe really needs you lol
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    Jay_Dubbz - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    they only hire asian people
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Seems only a few care to reply in a serious way, eh? Sad, very sad. b:surrender
  • SoniMax - Sanctuary
    SoniMax - Sanctuary Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Seems only a few care to reply in a serious way, eh? Sad, very sad. b:surrender
    Look @ my sig dont you think i'm serious b:shocked
    That's what you get
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15081871001&dateline=1339865979[/SIGPIC]
    They see me trollin`
    They hatin`
    Patrolling they tryin` to catch me writin` dirty
    Tryin to catch me writin` dirty X4
    My music so loud
    I'm flamin`
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    edited August 2011
    they only hire asian people

I'm asian o__o!
  • ShinSein - Harshlands
    ShinSein - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    (Re: first post).

So just looking for thoughts and suggestions, does anyone think I should go through with it?

Just from the looks of it, the current "marketing" team seem like they lack members who are themselves truly passionate about the game they work for.
    Of course many of the things they do, such as repeated sales seem very "greedy", because of how the game appears to be sinking deeper into the depths of hell.
    But we also need to realize that PWE as a large company with many employees to pay requires a large amount of money to run and also expand.

As a playerbase we also need to understand and realize that the video game industry is NOT a "nonprofit" industry. GMs and devs don't do their jobs as a charity for us, and we need to respect and understand that.

However as a game development company in charge of such a massive playerbase, PWE also needs to understand and be shown that there are better ways to generate profit from something with as much potential as PWI than to squeeze every drop of cash out of it and then toss it once it's drained, create a new game, rinse, repeat ....

^Highlighted
    Anyways I do wish you luck in your job application (I am going to sign up for Customer Service b:shutup) . Pwe needs to understand that there are certain things that could make them a Juggernaut for the free mmo market.

And with a game called the same name as the company (assuming that it makes it their "Flag ship game") they should be treating this game much better than they are currently. And there are better ways for them to generate profit so lets hope more people like you join the company and try to make a difference for the community b:victory
    [SIGPIC]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/ZeroAngel08/Shinsein.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks goes to Dorset!
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

ShinSein - Harshlands (Alt/Main)
    Shinsetsu - Lothranis (French Main)
    +Bring sexy back - Complete b:victory
  • HardnHeavy - Raging Tide
    HardnHeavy - Raging Tide Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited August 2011

I could write a wall of text about that.

http://pwe-inc.com/career
    Good luck.