Best genie/genie skills for Cleric?

soopafeen
soopafeen Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Cleric
I'm a Seeker who always plays duo with my friend, who's a Cleric. She's wondering -- what genie/genie skills is best for a Cleric? Again, we will always be playing together. We'd like to do larger-group activities too of course, and have the proper genie/skills for that.
Post edited by soopafeen on

Comments

• AriesBreath - Raging Tide
    AriesBreath - Raging Tide Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    In terms of general PvE:

Holy Path - base essential genie skill for all classes.

Absolute Domain - like holy path, almost everyone has this skill. More useful for a cleric, However as we are usually the ones who have to keep to squad alive.

Tree of Protection - handy heal for when you are stunned or bubbled, could mean the difference between squad wipe and squad success.

Second Wind - instant heal for situations like ToP, but I prefer ToP.

Cloud Eruption - very useful chi gaining skill, probably the genie skill I use the most next to Holy Path.

Expel - the use of this skill is rather situational PvE, use in conjunction with purify on the tank when against a physical boss to have some time to Rez fallen party members.

There are probably more, but these work fine PvE. Hope this helped!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soopafeen
    soopafeen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    She started with a Longevity genie -- would it be best to get a new one, in the long run? We don't mind an inconvenience for now if changing genie types would be better in the long run...
    edited June 2011
    soopafeen wrote: »
    She started with a Longevity genie -- would it be best to get a new one, in the long run? We don't mind an inconvenience for now if changing genie types would be better in the long run...

To be completely honest, genie types don't really matter that much. It's more the amount of lucky points they have in the end. (this can't be determined without leveling the genie, and genie types don't affect it.) However, technically, the discipline and zeal genies have a more general starting stat distribution. (Strength and dexterity only benefit certain types of skills, where magic and vitality benefit the genie as a whole.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I currently have my genie set up as regen/vit and have Holy Path, Absolute Domain, Cloud Eruption (leave this at level 1), Tree of Protection, and Expel on it. It's a good set-up for both PVE and PVP, IMO.

All of the skills are pretty much self-explanatory, but I do have a note on Expel...

Expel is a ****ing godsend in PVP when you're getting sexually assaulted by tons of sins. It's basically the key to surviving most sins because the majority of them just face-roll keyboard auto-attack. There's the occasional smart one that'll know to use Condensed Thorn though. Condensed Thorn adds water damage to their attacks for 10secs. Expel will not protect you from that.

Expel will also not protect you from the r9 wiz hugging safezone while waiting for his sin buddy to pop on you so you'll gut-reaction expel and then he can come out and BIDS you to death. But that's a rant for an entirely different thread.

Other skills you might want to look at are Fortify, Badge of Courage, Extreme Poison, Rainbow Blessing, and Earthquake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • QueenOfNukes - Heavens Tear
    QueenOfNukes - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    In my experience of playing a cleric for almost 2 years, I strongly suggest the following:

Cloud eruption: A lot of times, people like to go charging instances. My latest experience was in Valley of Disaster with 3 bms, 1 seeker and a sin, who went attacking different things. Sometimes, you can spam IH and Wellspring but once the aggro gets crazy, especially with Hexocelots, you need BB. Cloud eruption ensures you're already full on chi.

It's also very useful in FF because you can pretty much start BB and leave it until everything is dead. Of course, BB is useless at bosses thanks to AOE, spell cancel and other stuns.

Tree of Protection: As others have mentioned, unless you have a mystic in party, you're responsible for the squad's health including your own. TOP is awesome healing when you're stunned or simply trying to keep someone alive while checking your own health bar.

Holy path: Some barbs are pretty impatient just cause they've got 9.8ms so they charge ahead and die and blame you. This can save you a lottttt. Or in this case, your cleric friend.

I only use these three and I've had an awesome PvE experience.

--

On the note of genie choices, I like having zeal because it's the only genie that can lure with earthflame. Other genies can't. No other skill can lure to be honest. This is good when your cleric friend is solo grinding and wants to kite mob or lure one out from a group. It's absolutely awesome. LOVEEEE ZEAL GENIES.

But that's a personal choice really.

Good luck!
    "Beware of the Queen, she'll nuke our heads off if we don't listen to her. b:surrender" - Devereaux

QueenOfNukes was created on 16th June 2011.
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    There are no "best" skills. It's a personal preference on what to use.
    edited June 2011
    There are no "best" skills. It's a personal preference on what to use.

O.o genie skills =/= demon/sage skills. It's quite simple, there are the useful skills, and there are the useless ones. If I wanted to increase my speed, I would use Holy Path, not Tai Chi because it looks pretty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kwilinai - Sanctuary
    Kwilinai - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    ummmm...thread is a few weeks old but it appears to be the most recent one regarding genie skills for clerics so I will ask my question here.

I see some of you suggest Tree of Protection for a heal over the alternative Second Wind. I am curious as to why?

I can see how ToP might be more efficient for healing high hp characters but I usually only use my genie heal on myself during a crisis situation which would seem to make Second Wind more practical since: 1) it is instantaneous, and 2) clerics like myself generally have low hp.....relatively speaking.

So I am just curious to hear peoples rational for choosing ToP over Second Wind (on their clerics). Thanks.
    I currently have my genie set up as regen/vit and have Holy Path, Absolute Domain, Cloud Eruption (leave this at level 1), Tree of Protection, and Expel on it. It's a good set-up for both PVE and PVP, IMO........

Edit: Oh, and another question would be....why do you recommend leaving Cloud Eruption at level 1 Eoria? I will have to examine the stats for this skill next time I log on.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I don't have a genie heal on my cleric, never used it. I have those instantly recover 30% hp/mp apoth and I use that on the incredibly rare situation my own heals would never work even charmed.

As for cloud eruption, it costs a lot to use and the benefits of leveling it do not outweigh consuming as much as it does, as it is now its almost two whole sparks all on it's own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
    edited July 2011
    ummmm...thread is a few weeks old but it appears to be the most recent one regarding genie skills for clerics so I will ask my question here.

I see some of you suggest Tree of Protection for a heal over the alternative Second Wind. I am curious as to why?

I can see how ToP might be more efficient for healing high hp characters but I usually only use my genie heal on myself during a crisis situation which would seem to make Second Wind more practical since: 1) it is instantaneous, and 2) clerics like myself generally have low hp.....relatively speaking.

So I am just curious to hear peoples rational for choosing ToP over Second Wind (on their clerics). Thanks.

Edit: Oh, and another question would be....why do you recommend leaving Cloud Eruption at level 1 Eoria? I will have to examine the stats for this skill next time I log on.

The only time a cleric needs to use a genie heal is when the cleric is stunned/bubbled. (unable to use pots in this state.) in PvE, at lower levels, the only time you will need this is in FC on the 2nd (bubble) boss. Especially if you have low hp, one bubble would be enough to **** you to death without a charm or another character healing you. The instant heal from SW is fast, but often insufficient. The HoT from ToP heals for more when you add it up. As the bubble damage is constant DoT, the HoT from ToP often negates it. The same situation applies when against emperor in TT3-x.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited July 2011

I guess it depends on the situation and personal preferences (etc etc). From what i can remember second wind is not that strong a heal especially for higher level characters with decent hp. Plus most situations when you're taking damage a good heal over time is generally preferred. I'd stick to pots and self heals as required tho! b:chuckle
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Kwilinai - Sanctuary
    Kwilinai - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.
  • bluetopaz8
    bluetopaz8 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Any opinions on life drain? "Absorb HP from nearby targets. Heals own character."
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    Prophete - Dreamweaver Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Regarding Healing Genie skills, I think they are pretty useless for a cleric.
    I can't see any places but bubble boss in FC where it's good to have them.
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    bluetopaz8 wrote: »
    Any opinions on life drain? "Absorb HP from nearby targets. Heals own character."

I had LifeDrain on my GV genie for a very long time. This was back when GV squads were rare, and good ones even rarer. It worked well as a "safe my *** until my charm can tick again" skill. At lvl 10 it drained about 500 hp per mob and 1k+ if the genie critted.

GV was the only instance I found it useful. And even then I couldn't use it often. It used too much energy. If I'd had to domain the barb or expel the wizzie I couldn't use it for that wave.

As soon as I found a steady GV squad that didn't suck I replaced it with Mire.

In short, I don't recommend it. There aren't that many situation where you'll need it.
    edited July 2011
    Regarding Healing Genie skills, I think they are pretty useless for a cleric.
    I can't see any places but bubble boss in FC where it's good to have them.

Read my previous post. This has been covered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Read my previous post. This has been covered.

b:pleased
  • bluetopaz8
    bluetopaz8 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Another question: since expel "makes target immune to physical damage" and absolute domain "makes surrounding friendly targets invulnerable" couldn't you just get abs domain and not expel?

And thx mekkhala!
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    bluetopaz8 wrote: »
    Another question: since expel "makes target immune to physical damage" and absolute domain "makes surrounding friendly targets invulnerable" couldn't you just get abs domain and not expel?

And thx mekkhala!

AD and Expel use are used for different situations.

Expel does not make you immune to mag damage and you can still be stunned/slept/etc, but the phys immune duration is longer than AD lasts. AD will make you and party members around you totally immune, but it doesn't last as long as Expel does.

In short: get both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
    edited August 2011
    AD and Expel use are used for different situations.

Expel does not make you immune to mag damage and you can still be stunned/slept/etc, but the phys immune duration is longer than AD lasts. AD will make you and party members around you totally immune, but it doesn't last as long as Expel does.

In short: get both.

^ that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JennaKate - Dreamweaver
    JennaKate - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Skills my cleric has on her genie are;

HolyPath ( its a must ) what the skills does on level 10 -

Increases the movement speed of yourself to the max for 6.0 seconds.

Tree of Protection; what skill does on level 10 -

Summons a Tree of Protection.
    Increases max HP by 30% for 5 seconds.
    Restores 20% of your max HP every 3 seconds for 6 seconds.
    This skill will interrupt the effect of Cinnabar Amulet.

Rainbow Blessing; what skill does on level 10;

Provides a random blessing on the target:
    30% increased physical attack.
    30% increased magical attack.
    10% increased critical hit chance.
    20% reduced channeling time.
    Lasts for 8 seconds.
    The critical hit blessing will always be applied;
    the other three may or may not be applied as well.
    Does not stack with similar effects.

Tangling Mire; what skill does on level 10;
    Creates a mire under the target and all enemies within 15 meters, reducing their movement speed by 15% and physical defense by 35%
    Lasts for 10 seconds.

Absolute Domain; what skill does on level 10;

Makes yourself and all allies within 5 meters immune to all damage for 4.0 seconds
    and immune to immobilization for 2 seconds afterwards.

• Silmarill - Heavens Tear
    Silmarill - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    only 1 skill i want to add to list and that is nulifly poison..very very useful skill if you killing those spiders in avalanche,can make that pulling alot easier..and we all know when is 2x avalanche is clerics playground hehe..
    edited August 2011
    only 1 skill i want to add to list and that is nulifly poison..very very useful skill if you killing those spiders in avalanche,can make that pulling alot easier..and we all know when is 2x avalanche is clerics playground hehe..

What's wrong with purify?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, purify lol?
  • Silmarill - Heavens Tear
    Silmarill - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    well for 1 i dindt say not use purify...offcourse you use purify but when you pulling alot of spiders nulifly makes your job aloot easier..try and you will see, for example try to do purify at same time as nulifly..you have then 4-5 sec free of healing or purify,tempest ans razor and you are done,much faster and safer expecially if you pulling 25-30 or more spiders
    edited August 2011
    well for 1 i dindt say not use purify...offcourse you use purify but when you pulling alot of spiders nulifly makes your job aloot easier..try and you will see, for example try to do purify at same time as nulifly..you have then 4-5 sec free of healing or purify,tempest ans razor and you are done,much faster and safer expecially if you pulling 25-30 or more spiders

Personally, when I farmed spiders, I killed them 1 by 1, since they were 1-2 shots anyway. But I've done pulls before. Poison -doesn't- hurt. Hell I never even purified until all the mobs were dead. IH stack is more than enough to keep you alive.

I wouldn't waste a genie skill slot and/or the affinity/attribute points on something that can be easily done with skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2011
    When you're pulling 20+ spiders, the poison starts ticking for 2k and more, you got to purify before they are all dead lol.
    edited August 2011
    When you're pulling 20+ spiders, the poison starts ticking for 2k and more, you got to purify before they are all dead lol.

Last I heard purify didn't require a genie skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2011
    I wasn't commenting the purify genie skill; I find it useless too.

I was just finding strange not using purify once before all the spiders are dead, like you were saying above.
    edited August 2011
    I wasn't commenting the purify genie skill; I find it useless too.

I was just finding strange not using purify once before all the spiders are dead, like you were saying above.

*shrugs* IH always was more than enough for me to channel Tempest. They died after Tempest unless they were Magic Resist, and I purified after that.

I didn't do prolonged pulls like I see many other clerics doing, so maybe the quantity of my pulls was the reason. I would say that I had about 15 mobs each pull.

Like I said, I usually killed them 1 by 1 since the time gathering them would have loss any time the AoE would have saved. I only gathered when I saw them already relatively close to each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]