Need Help Choosing Class

Options
Ripfang - Harshlands
Ripfang - Harshlands Posts: 31 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Hey all! back in the day (last year XD) i played PWI quite a lot, but then i had to leave due to internet problems. Now me and some of my friends are back, and we've decided to start afresh on a new server. Now all my friends are pretty adamant about what classes they want to be, and we all want to eventually progress to endgame together. my friends so far have chosen Barbarian, Seeker, Assassin and Venomancer. now heres the problem: im stuck and i cant choose a class for myself. Im torn between Mystic, Psychic and Cleric. Can someone help out? if possible id like to know which classes are better in BH's, and at higher levels in FC etc. Please help, coz i really cant decide and if i dont hurry up my friends will quickly pass me out XD
Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Ripfang - Harshlands on

Comments

• Dethprowl - Raging Tide
    Dethprowl - Raging Tide Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Clerics are pretty much in demand throughout the span of the game and in all but the "speed farming" instances at endgame.

Psys are nasty toons by endgame with great damage but again not in demand for "speed farming". Otherwise very useful in all squads and feared in pvp.
  • Ripfang - Harshlands
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What about Mystics? are they in demand at all?

and thanks for the info on the other two...which do you think would fit in the squad layout my friends have formed better?
  • Dethprowl - Raging Tide
    Dethprowl - Raging Tide Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Truthfully I know next to nothing about Mystics and Seekers. They just seemed like such a desparate move to add new toons to the game by stealing some of the better qualities from existing toons that I just refused to get interested in them.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Mystics are in demand but decent mystics. People who tend to simply ask what's in demand or what's best tend to be of the lazy type who would be passed over regardless of their class. Choose which one that fits your style, there's plenty of FAQ's in the class sub-sections.
  • Ripfang - Harshlands
    edited July 2011
    Options
    @Janus thats the problem :\ i dunno what my style is. ive read over a good bit of the FAQ's and ive rolled a Cleric and Psychic before (up to levels 30 and 40 respectively) so i know i enjoy both playstyles but i cant make a final choice as to which i like. Ive been trying out a Mystic so far and they seem fun enough, but more experienced players have told me that i'll have a very hard time finding squads at higher levels, for a number of reasons. thats why i decided to take it to the forums, sorry if it came across as i was just being lazy and asking which was the best. im genuinely puzzled as to which to pick ^^
  • Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    Kagizyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Mystics are mana eaters. Unless you wanna see everything go down to make the most of yourself, mystics are venos with mana problems with the ability to become support e.e

Psychics have enough aoes to spam as much as a bm, and go the defensive offensive easily and respectivly.

Clerics just pwn because everyone wants them. ijsb
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    With the squad setup your friends have so far, I'd say go with cleric. As a second choice, mystic. Reason being that healers, especially clerics, are very much needed and wanted for most instances unless it's a really OP squad and even then...

Problem with mystics though seems to be that most people don't want to take them because they view them as inferior healers to clerics, which they kinda are since they don't have a cleric's buffs/bb nor can they res on demand (have to depend on a res buff). So for most squads, you'll probably have to prove yourself as a mystic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Equin - Dreamweaver
    Equin - Dreamweaver Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^ your sig just gave me a fear of squirrels
     /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )
  • Zarni - Dreamweaver
    Zarni - Dreamweaver Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Cleric.

Mystics are awesome healers and DDs when played well, don't get me wrong. A good mystic is gonna be wanted in any squad (except the few high-aps farming squads, but you have friends so that shouldn't be an issue anyway).

Psychics rule, biased opinion, but yeah, if you like group PvP psychics can tear it up.

Clerics though..... clerics have BUFFS!
    Forget for now the abilities to stack heal to invincibility, cut all squad damage taken by half, debuff the living daylights out of things physical and magical defenses, spam attacks with physical and magical damage from long ranges, sleep and immobilize enemies for insanely long times, resurrect players on the fly, or the low mana cost compared to new classes; the most useful thing (that no other class can do) is drastically increase the defenses (and mag attack) of the whole party.

My psychic may have 87 defense levels with one of my self buffs, but I can't do that to anyone else. The buffs I can use on others are limited by cooldown so that only one player can get one. Mystics have a self buff that gives them epic water and physical defenses, but they cannot share either; like psychics they are limited by cooldowns with some of their best skills, only one player at at time can get the salvation shield or falling petals buffs. Both are excellent and fun classes, but with the group you describe, cleric would be the best fit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    A cleric would be a great addition to your team of friends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • O_o - Lost City
    O_o - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Play Wizard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    Kagizyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Cleric.

Mystics are awesome healers and DDs when played well, don't get me wrong. A good mystic is gonna be wanted in any squad (except the few high-aps farming squads, but you have friends so that shouldn't be an issue anyway).

Psychics rule, biased opinion, but yeah, if you like group PvP psychics can tear it up.

Clerics though..... clerics have BUFFS!
    Forget for now the abilities to stack heal to invincibility, cut all squad damage taken by half, debuff the living daylights out of things physical and magical defenses, spam attacks with physical and magical damage from long ranges, sleep and immobilize enemies for insanely long times, resurrect players on the fly, or the low mana cost compared to new classes; the most useful thing (that no other class can do) is drastically increase the defenses (and mag attack) of the whole party.

My psychic may have 87 defense levels with one of my self buffs, but I can't do that to anyone else. The buffs I can use on others are limited by cooldown so that only one player can get one. Mystics have a self buff that gives them epic water and physical defenses, but they cannot share either; like psychics they are limited by cooldowns with some of their best skills, only one player at at time can get the salvation shield or falling petals buffs. Both are excellent and fun classes, but with the group you describe, cleric would be the best fit.

Sally shield is 10 second cool down, all 6 players can have it within a minute.
    Falling petals in like a 3 second cool down?, all 6 players can have it within 20 seconds.

Res buff takes a while b:shocked
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^ your sig just gave me a fear of squirrels

Oh that's not a squirrel, its a rabbit. From that movie called 'Watership Down' if I've got the name right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • ODANG - Lost City
    ODANG - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Make a sin/bm. Get 5 aps. Make everyone QQ about APS. Make an alt. Gear alt.
  • Fonyan - Heavens Tear
    Fonyan - Heavens Tear Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^ What he said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Screenshot thread:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1504791

Currently playing: real life ver. 2.0
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You all forget that op playing with friends together since lv 1 (or 20)
    All should play sin and bm b:victory then 5 aps instances together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Pythe - Dreamweaver
    Pythe - Dreamweaver Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This is what I was going to say. With the other chars and if you were a cleric, would never have to search for 20 minutes for a healer. :)

With the squad setup your friends have so far, I'd say go with cleric. As a second choice, mystic. Reason being that healers, especially clerics, are very much needed and wanted for most instances unless it's a really OP squad and even then...

Problem with mystics though seems to be that most people don't want to take them because they view them as inferior healers to clerics, which they kinda are since they don't have a cleric's buffs/bb nor can they res on demand (have to depend on a res buff). So for most squads, you'll probably have to prove yourself as a mystic.