Experienced clerics! How am I doing?

Options
Samwen - Lost City
Samwen - Lost City Posts: 35 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Cleric
Hiya there, clerics! b:bye

I read that thread about the mistakes new clerics seem to make these days and it has horrified me slightly. I come searching for advice! I really don't want to end up a ridiculous cleric.

I can already tell this post is gonna end up huge..
My current stats at level 72! (Without gear adds)

Str - 41
Vit - 50
Dex - 5
Mag - 279

Unbuffed hp - 2331

My gears - http://pwcalc.com/269c07b283ece8bf (buffed)
Skills!

Lvl 10 skills - Ironheart, Wellspring, Plume shell, Plume shot, Cyclone, Revive, Buffs
Level 9 skills - Purify
Level 8 skills - Chromatic healing beam
Level 3 skills - Stream of rejuvination, Razor feathers, Wield thunder,
Level 1 skills - Blessing of the purehearted, Elemental seal, Dimensional seal, Silent seal, Thunderball, Sirens kiss, Tempest

I know I have to get the seals up some, but my spirit is kind of stretched. I hyper but I don't buy heads. If I'm ever near frost, it's to buff my husband before he goes to solo. b:surrender
Just some things I need clarification on:

I dont use the party heal all that much, since hitting 60 I haven't used it once to be honest.
I use SoR sometimes, and people tell me I'm an idiot for doing so? I use it after a party member has ressed and if the tank's hp drops below a third. Wellspring is maxed but 99% of time mystics heal faster and cast it before me or it doesn't heal enough.
I'm one of those clerics guilty for spamming the 1hr buffs. b:surrender
Will write more as I think of it, and will write todays BH down.

UPDATE:
I did an FB59 today, was pretty proud of myself. Had a 81 sin tanking, went okay until Ofotis. BHers were complaining 'cause of the BH order being ruined if Ofo is dead first. So there was a lot of awkwardness, I try to lighten the mood as much as I can. Tabber is a lvl 66 barb who keeps trying to steal aggro, then gets 1shot by mag attack 'cause he runs away from boss, dies, then I res him. (over and over again...)

Eventually we're down to just qianji left, there's only me, the tabber, an archer and an afk bm left. Me and archer clear the way to Qianji, we manage to get there in 1 piece (BM is still afk). Archer is unsure of tank ability, but was willing to try. I stack archer a few times, Qianji is lured. Archer is little over a 2shot, so I try to stack ironheart in between wellspring spams. I figure, if I can get BB up fast enough, the dmg reduction should make him survive. Archer says, "Good idea." So i stack him as much as I can and start channelling BB.

Then the unthinkable happens. The 6x barb is in tiger form, spamming flesh ream. He gets aggro halfway through BB channel and dies in 1 hit. He's screaming RES RES. I cancel BB, try to wellspring the archer but, ****, too late! Archer drops. Start stacking ironhearts on myself, res the archer, stack some more, res the barb. Heal and rebuff squad, throw up BB, archer gets aggro back and Qianji is killed. Lots of hearts and kisses and "great cleric" as we time out of instance. b:cute

In retrospect, I probably should've tanked myself. Archer had been grabbing aggro all through the instance though, and then there was the barb, lol. I didn't expect to survive. Lots of clerics told me not to even attempt to tank until 78+

I was happyyy, it's nice to be told you did a good job, no? <3
Post edited by Samwen - Lost City on

Comments

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thingies:

1) Stats look good. Str is a tad high but that's not inherently a bad thing. Just don't stat any till you need it. A base vit of 50 is fine (I prefer less, but that's just me).

2) Gears look fine. I wouldn't bother with TT70 (or 80) nowadays since there's an overabundance of good 7x-8x mold gear (who remembers the days before chip fix and that **** was uber expensive?). ;p I forget alot of the pieces, but you can find them easy enough. TL;DR For 72, the gear is good.

3) Skills are fine and you said it yourself already: SP is prioritized. I wouldn't bother maxing Purify till you absolutely feel you need it (hell my Purify was level 5 till like.... 96 I think, when I found the demon book). When you can, I'd first bump up debuffs, then SoR, then paralyze/sleep, WT/RF, and leave Tempest for last. (Just my opinion, do things as you see fit. And take my advice with a grain of salt, haven't been a cleric in quite a while and was never a competent one anyway.)

4) The people telling you not to use SoR are idiots, especially if there's another class with a quick WS-like heal in squad. And... don't spam 1hr buffs! >:O
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ty so much Decus!

I will take your advice about the skills, and I have the 77 mold wrists, i just never bothered with the steppenwolfs thing (some people sell that for crazy high ._.) and I couldn't find any decent boots! I'm glad you think SoR is worth using. I find its really useful for healing people 10+ levels higher than me, since everyone wants a lvl 90+ doing their bh's these days. T_T

Its such a habit to spam 1hr buffs! Sins screaming at me everywhere to res buff heal. I rolled this class knowing it would happen, but damn this is a whole new ballgame!
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If people are screaming at you, then you can (and should) politely inform them that your services are a privilege rather than a right and that you are not, in fact, a dog which one can scream commands at. >_>

That aside, I'll echo Decus in saying that you seem to be doing fine. :) Better than me on the skills, really. You may want to level your Wield Thunder a little, but that's just what I would do. :P On my clerics I've always prioritized Major Attacks (Plumeshot/Cyclone/Wield) > IH > Buffs > Res & Pure > Other heals (excluding Pureheart) > Seals & Plume Shell > AoE attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • __Jhuv - Sanctuary
    __Jhuv - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Agreed with posters above.
    Stats are fine, gears too. Only thing i would change Steppenwolf with TT70 chest but take it easy.

Skills: I would lvl purify asap since you got it lvl 9 xD To me waste of spirit in lvling CHB since you wont need it till FCC but even there i barely need it lvled so i would leave it just lvl 8. I also find SoR usefull in some cases as you said and i would lvl it *take alot of money and spirit so save for it if you wanna make it your priority* If you wanna do some nice dmg I also would lvl a bit wield thunder then razor for aoe. I would leave tempest for last. Also if you plan to TW/PVP seals are good and debuffs too. I have lvld dimension and elemental for debuffs on bosses.

Anyway the choice of skill you will lvl depends on what you plan to do so choose it wisely.
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/jhuvsign.png[/SIGPIC]
    __Jhuv - Mystic
    __Hysper - Cleric
    __Hysen - Venomancer
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I would get a better tome, it doesn't have to be love up and down to be useful. I would go for one that added a bit of extra vit/mag. You str is okay but I would slow down a bit on it. The max str you need assuming you want rank 9 is 55, 54 otherwise. Rank 9 is 101, so just put in str as you need it for your gears for now and start boosting you mag attack now so it doesn't become a more expensive issue end game. Though I suppose if you could actually afford rank 9, restatting wouldn't be an issue for you. b:chuckle I would leave vit where it is. You won't need more than that, as you get higher levels you can refine/shard for better hp.

Everyone else has said what I would say as far as your skills, but I do have one question. Do you aoe grind? If you plan on aoe grinding, then I would start leveling your aoe skills (Razor feathers, sirens, tempest) as they are a must for doing it. If not, then don't worry about it until you got the spare spirit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ty so much everybody, I will figure out what I want to do then level skills accordingly.

@Miugre - xD I try not to lose my temper, especially when I'm stuck with a really bad squad. But sometimes I'm about <-> that far from strangling the cat. >.>

@__Jhuv - Ty! I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do, but I really liked aoe grinding when I tried it. I will probably work on them aoe skills then. :D

@VenusArmani - I guess I could use Retributions Flame, I have it on a veno somewhere I think. I think I might've miscalculated my str somewhere. I started off using the My lvl / 2 + 5 = gear req method xD Thanks so much though! I'll save up for that steppenwolfs. Rank 9 would be a dream, but I'm hoping for rank 8 at least.

Another question folks, I have my venos old weapon, a +9 neon purg which I can acc stash to my cleric. But I'm considering going rank 8 as well. Should I keep the neon purg, +10 it and nv it one day or get the rank 8 wep?
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Another question folks, I have my venos old weapon, a +9 neon purg which I can acc stash to my cleric. But I'm considering going rank 8 as well. Should I keep the neon purg, +10 it and nv it one day or get the rank 8 wep?

Use it until you get r8. It's really not worth it to Nirvana weps anymore for mag classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ty Eoria, will do that. How come its not worth it to nv it though? o.O

EDIT: updated with FB59 :P
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ty Eoria, will do that. How come its not worth it to nv it though? o.O

Because r8 is more bang for your buck. In order to just first recast a wep, it's 100 raps. That's about 200mil and it's not even better than r8 wep. It's another 150 raps to second recast or about an additional 300mil. Add in that you'll likely have to reroll at least a few times to get good stats on it...at that point, you're better off just getting the r9 wep.

Of course, r9 clerics should always go for the armor first, but still...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Nurse - Momaganon
    Nurse - Momaganon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ah money of course. All comes down to the money, I should've known that. Thanks Eoria. I'll keep my neon purg until 100 and until I can get a decent refine on the glaive.

Edit: Woops posted on the EU one ._.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yea, if ya got a +9 CV wand already, just use that till 100. A r8 gaive at +4 already meets the avg mattk of the +9 wand; at +5 it's over it by about 200 or so.
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I suppose I should include the fact that rank chest will give me some -chan too. I will aim for rank 8 then, ty again Decus!
  • Poetre - Heavens Tear
    Poetre - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    OMFG I JUS TYPED A LOT AND SAFARI STOPPED WORKING !!! THAT TOOK LIKE A HOUR LOL

point is i pk alot heres stats and the main stuff again im not reposting that f'in message again.. i wanna kill apple right now lol

WITH GEAR.................................................WITHOUT GEAR
    .........................HP.........................MP
    Str-38..............2770.......................5399..............Str-38
    Vit-94................................................................ Vit-94
    Mag-208.............................................................Mag-226
    Dex-33...............................................................Dex-36

i pour alot into Vit because i love all the extra hp. im not as strong as the pures but most of the time i cannot be 1shotted by other pkers/bosses. i pk alot and this is usually how it goes

Barbs- Havent fought many barbs and the few i did fight i had no idea what do besides the usual shell-sleep-seal-WT-GS-PS repeat (any tips?)

Venos- I Try to ignore the pet becuz ive been told thats the best approach. Then shell-sleep- no seal because of pet on my ***!- then i usually try for mag dmg and if it doesnt work out then do PS and Razor feathers

Wizzys- Seems to be a pretty easy fight for me, but idk if its always that way or if its jus the wizzys ive been fighting. -shell-sleep-diminsional seal- Spark-RF-PS usually ends it. ToP or second wind for my heals if neccesary

BMs- THE STUNS. they always stun me before i can get my shell up.. so then im playin defense with my ToP already activated and spamming heals until i can get my own seal out. then its debuff-spark-WT-GC then back to healling if neccessary if not then stay on offense with a RF-spark-WT-GC again. difficult and usually goes either way!

Archers- not many fights against archers for some reason. shell-cyclone-sleep-debuff-spark-RF or WT i cant remember what one will hurt them more because i havent fought one in so long but last time i did it worked out for me 2 of the 3 times

Clerics- my favorite fight. i love to see another cleric in action. i usually go for the shell first then im sleep and taking small bits of dmg from their PS- then i heal up-sleep THEN seal- PURIFY- spark- RF - PS or mag atks if they alreaddy have shell up, which most of the time they dont for some reason. usually gets the job done.. but the extra heath really pays off here because when i become awake i can heal a bit then go right on the offensive and force them to spam heals or risk being 1or 2 shotted by trying to go on the offensive, whereas i dnt have that worry this is usually my win. but a pure with good gear/refines/Hp sharded... OUCH!

Psys- jus fought my first psy a few weeks ago and i was scared to atk because ive heard of some skill that returns dmg. after i got pwnd i was told that she didnt have the skill active so we fought again with the same results because i had no idea what to do against her.. any tips?

Sins- I HATE SINS. they aways steath-pop out - kill - steath lol i panic when they do that so it usually ends bad for me. however i did see a sin steath once nearby and i ran to a close mob near by (some lvl 3 mob lol) and RF on it. unstealthed sin. but then i died as i typed my -I CANT BELIEVE THAT WORKED LOL- message instead of fighting

Mystics- try to do the same as venos except i focus on using RF and PS instead of the occasional WT. however i realized that i can sometimes 1shot or 2 shot the pets and then the fight is SSSOOOO much easier!

Seekers havent fought many of these either and the one i did fight was about 6 lvl under me. sleep-seals-WT-easy fight becuz of lvl difference.

~~~~MY GREATEST FIGHTING FEAT~~~~
    While pking/fighting a mystic & Devil chiyu (had to be at least 10 levels below me) im winning and a sin pops out and starts atacking me - heres what happened lol

sin starts atking (didnt stun me)
    me -ITS GO TIME- replumshell-Spam healed myself-sleep sin-spamm two more heals misclicked combo button then >>>spark-elemental seal on sin-TEMPEST<<< as hell rains from the skies the still sleeping Sin/Chihyu/Mystic ALL drop dead. then poetre seems much praise as a PRO cleric. b:victory then i stick around only to be oneshotted by a 9x veno and her high lvl mage friend who sat in the spot until me and the few other lower lvl pkers left!

Anyways thanks for reading. lemme know what u think and what i need to work on.. i have a idea of what most of the comments(if any) will say but id still like to hear them. lemme kno if u need any of my other stats or stuff. thanksb:thanks
  • Sylpharon - Lost City
    Sylpharon - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hiya there, clerics! b:bye

I read that thread about the mistakes new clerics seem to make these days and it has horrified me slightly. I come searching for advice! I really don't want to end up a ridiculous cleric.

Just by this, you will not end up in an empty firework ;)

I can already tell this post is gonna end up huge..

My gears - http://pwcalc.com/269c07b283ece8bf (buffed)

I know I have to get the seals up some, but my spirit is kind of stretched. I hyper but I don't buy heads. If I'm ever near frost, it's to buff my husband before he goes to solo. b:surrender

If you've got problems with spirit, there are only two solutions: or you hyper frost with your husband, or you accumulate it by doing tns of bhs in a row.

Will write more as I think of it, and will write todays BH down.

UPDATE:
    I did an FB59 today, was pretty proud of myself. Had a 81 sin tanking, went okay until Ofotis. BHers were complaining 'cause of the BH order being ruined if Ofo is dead first. So there was a lot of awkwardness, I try to lighten the mood as much as I can. Tabber is a lvl 66 barb who keeps trying to steal aggro, then gets 1shot by mag attack 'cause he runs away from boss, dies, then I res him. (over and over again...)

In this case, it's just the Barb who wants to fulfill his tanker role at any cost, even without controlling aggro, putting the entire party in danger; Ofotis is the one that hits harder amongs the five bosses so don't worry. You did a good job in healing the Sin.

Eventually we're down to just qianji left, there's only me, the tabber, an archer and an afk bm left. Me and archer clear the way to Qianji, we manage to get there in 1 piece (BM is still afk). Archer is unsure of tank ability, but was willing to try. I stack archer a few times, Qianji is lured. Archer is little over a 2shot, so I try to stack ironheart in between wellspring spams. I figure, if I can get BB up fast enough, the dmg reduction should make him survive. Archer says, "Good idea." So i stack him as much as I can and start channelling BB.

Yeah, using wellspring and stacking Ironheart is the most common, fast and efficient combo to heal someone. However, i can imagine the healing would have gone good even without BB. Don't worry about damage reduction; an immediate heal is better than it. Also, BB is to mass protection; use it just in very special situations.

Then the unthinkable happens. The 6x barb is in tiger form, spamming flesh ream. He gets aggro halfway through BB channel and dies in 1 hit. He's screaming RES RES. I cancel BB, try to wellspring the archer but, ****, too late! Archer drops. Start stacking ironhearts on myself, res the archer, stack some more, res the barb. Heal and rebuff squad, throw up BB, archer gets aggro back and Qianji is killed. Lots of hearts and kisses and "great cleric" as we time out of instance. b:cute

Good job; remember that you have to be versatile in any case to protect your whole party. Also another tip: don't be ashamed of running away if you see that the party is going to an unevitable end. Remember, if they die even if you're doing your best at healing, you can always ress them, saving their exp loss and another walk through the dungeon. But if you die, they are all ****ed. Mainly you.

In retrospect, I probably should've tanked myself. Archer had been grabbing aggro all through the instance though, and then there was the barb, lol. I didn't expect to survive. Lots of clerics told me not to even attempt to tank until 78+

I didn't expect to survive to my first attemp in soloing many bosses neither. But i realized that, as long as you have more than 2k hp (but even less, since i tanked mag bosses with 1900 Hp around before my 74), you can tank without problems any magic mob or boss; this include Qianji and any boss that use a status effect to attack. It's just a matter of time and mps, but you could even solo them. Don't fear magic, be afraid of long spears, instead.

I was happyyy, it's nice to be told you did a good job, no? <3

Quoted with red marks ;)
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Quoted with red marks ;)

fyi: some of us skip posts from people that don't know how to quote properly. Off color text is harsh (bad netiquette). -Nothing like self censorship. (yes I didn't bother reading the red text.)
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    @ Sylpharon:

Thank you so much! You've given me a lot of extra confidence :P

Now that I'm 85, it's time to do frost with 8x squads. Done a few now, can't say it's my favourite instance lol. b:surrender

A seeker taught me nifty tricks like watching out for bosses 'chatter' before they do an aoe attack. It's allowed me to time my chromatic pretty damn perfectly.

My only problem is the placing of BB. I too much prefer to try keep everyone alive without it, or I seem to stick it up in the wrong places. (That sounds awful..) Like the corridor of mobs into the room with the bishop boss, I stick it near the centre, the tank runs off and kills them next to the wall. I feel stupid. :(
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    fyi: some of us skip posts from people that don't know how to quote properly. Off color text is harsh (bad netiquette). -Nothing like self censorship. (yes I didn't bother reading the red text.)

Aw, relax tweakz. I had no difficulty reading his post. x) It's was quite nice, actually.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Now that I'm 85, it's time to do frost with 8x squads. Done a few now, can't say it's my favourite instance lol. b:surrender

A seeker taught me nifty tricks like watching out for bosses 'chatter' before they do an aoe attack. It's allowed me to time my chromatic pretty damn perfectly.

My only problem is the placing of BB. I too much prefer to try keep everyone alive without it, or I seem to stick it up in the wrong places. (That sounds awful..) Like the corridor of mobs into the room with the bishop boss, I stick it near the centre, the tank runs off and kills them next to the wall. I feel stupid. :(

Just make sure you are clear beforehand. There's no shame in saying "wait a sec" before they start running and clarifying exactly where it is to be placed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Samwen - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Honestly Decus, I tried. I ask every tank whether they want BB in the hall or room. Usually I get no reply and I'm just expected to wait until they've ran past me or stopped and started killing stuff. Considering the amount of time it takes just to get that freakin' BB up, mobs are either nearly dead or I'm dead. ._.

There are moments where I think 'oh maybe I should've BB'd there instead of trying to party heal'. I think I just need to start recognising that moments better. :P
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You might look into putting Rainbow Blessing on your genie if you've got a slot open on it. It helped me to get BB up in a hurry when learning how people would run and where to follow and where to stop. AD works too, but the range is fairly small and won't help your lurer if you're not close enough.