Pando Network

Uko - Raging Tide
Uko - Raging Tide Posts: 88 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
So uh... my internet traffic has been really laggy lately, and I dug around to find what seems to be the problem. And I found it.

Pando Network's Media Booster. It would download 20gb + a day from my internet traffic, and it seems like the game is ran through them. I uninstalled the media booster (obviously), but by digging around the forums I found that people are having trouble playing the game without it. I've been on game for a couple of days since then, never seen a problem.

Just wondering if anyone knows what's up with pwe making weird contracts like these.

Edit: Might I also mention that my game has been running smoother as well b:cute
Post edited by Uko - Raging Tide on

Comments

• England - Lothranis
    England - Lothranis Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I appear to have that and always wondered WTH it was. o.o; So it's come with PWI?
  • Mkey - Momaganon
    Mkey - Momaganon Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Pando Network's Media Booster only takes space
    its like blind gut
  • OiOOio - Raging Tide
    OiOOio - Raging Tide Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    1- How much improvement do you notice?

2 -Can you reinstall it, if for some reason you start to have problems with the game?

3-How do you uninstall this item. I would like to do it on one of my computers since the game is laggy on that one (but ofc its cuz its a lot less pwrful as well b:chuckle)

Thnx.
  • Uko - Raging Tide
    Uko - Raging Tide Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    My game is running smoother, less lag at West/TW.

I would know if you can reinstall it persay, I know it's never going back on my computer. And as for uninstalling, you can find it in your applications bar on your control panel ^^
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    So uh... my internet traffic has been really laggy lately, and I dug around to find what seems to be the problem. And I found it.

Pando Network's Media Booster. It would download 20gb + a day from my internet traffic, and it seems like the game is ran through them. I uninstalled the media booster (obviously), but by digging around the forums I found that people are having trouble playing the game without it. I've been on game for a couple of days since then, never seen a problem.

Just wondering if anyone knows what's up with pwe making weird contracts like these.

Edit: Might I also mention that my game has been running smoother as well b:cute

nvm.........
  • Teje - Dreamweaver
    Teje - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2011

Actually, it's uploading ^^
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yeah pmb.exe (pando) is annoying as hell. Often gets your internet capped because it's uploading and downloading **** for other games and helping other people download.
    Basically with pmb you're helping other people's download speeds, except uploading **** can count towards your bandwidth (In australia, anyway)

Just go to processes and if you see anything called pmb.exe, kill it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    panwhatnow?

well, at least nothing such has shown up in my Linux/Wine install of the game, thankfully. i would be majorly pissed if it did. installing useless third-party junk like that is the hallmark of a software company in terminal decline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Teje - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    If you've installed games from Turbine, Nexon or GPotato to name a few you will have installed this little gem.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Admittedly I haven't tried the latest PWI installer, but as far as I'm aware Pando Network's Media Booster (pmb.exe) isn't installed by PWI's installer, and it certainly isn't needed for PWI to run. I've never seen that software on my computer.

Personally, I'd kill any process that does any Internet communication I don't require, but I'm rather paranoid/vigilant/informed about how to do that. (My firewall software is awesome at alerting me to and letting me control what and how software connects to the Internet.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Teje - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Apparently as of 62911, PWE has started using this as the Direct Download button links directly to Pandonetworks.com.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Apparently as of 62911, PWE has started using this as the Direct Download button links directly to Pandonetworks.com.
    Huh. Yup.

And instead of downloading the whole installer, it instead downloads a program that installs PMBDnldr.exe, which downloads the PWI installer. Bleh.

I'd recommend using the torrent download instead and skipping that nonsense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    Huh. Yup.

And instead of downloading the whole installer, it instead downloads a program that installs PMBDnldr.exe, which downloads the PWI installer. Bleh.

I'd recommend using the torrent download instead and skipping that nonsense.

This

Torrents are 100x faster than anything else when you are downloading something popular. I DL'd pwi in 20 minutes with something like 1000 people in cloud.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Ugh... I got really hopeful when I saw this, as suddenly (since like 2-3 weeks ago) I have been having major lag issues. But I don't see this application anywhere on my computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842