Unable to connect to server

Options
LeiMai - Raging Tide
LeiMai - Raging Tide Posts: 246 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Support Desk
THIS IS NOT RELATED TO MAINTENANCE

My graphics screwed up at one point yesterday, and it's not the first time that has happened, so I closed PWI and restarted my computer. My graphics card isn't very good and thats not what I'm concerned about.

After restart logging in timed out at 20 seconds and I got the "Unable to connect to server" error. I got that message until I stopped trying last night and I'm still getting it this morning.

It is not my internet, my brother has no problem playing the game on his computer.

I've turned off my firewall and tried changing the settings, no difference.

I verified my files through the launcher. I renewed my IP address to the best of my knowledge

A traceroute ends at border1.pc2-bbnet2.nyj001.pnap.net [216.52.95.73]

I've googled and gone through this forum, and 99% of the time the answer is that it is maintenance. But my brother was online the whole time last night when I could not connect. The rest of the time the problem resolves it's self. It has been over 12 hours now.

I don't know what to try next...I'd really like to avoid redownloading and reinstalling because all I did was restart my computer. Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I have redownloaded and reinstalled after removing the game, it made no difference nothing changed. Today after maint. I had absolutely NO problem updating the game. Everything went smoothly like normal but I still cannot connect to the game servers.
Post edited by LeiMai - Raging Tide on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That last IP stops at our firewalls, like it is suppose to. It is the hops before it that count. Any "*" or any hops going over 100/200ms should be looked at.

Try restarting everything.

Please see if any of the information below might help you...

Add the game folder and/or game files (all .exe file types) to the exceptions list in your firewall or antivirus software.

Example: C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International

You also might need to temporarily disable your antivirus, MS Security Essentials or Windows Firewall long enough to download, install, patch and login to get into the game, and then turn it back on. Sometimes disabling may not help and you will need to add an exception for the game folder.

It might be Windows, Windows Firewall, Admin (such as running the game as Administrator), UAC, network, or antivirus settings that you will need to change so that they aren't blocking or throttling the game.

You can also try changing your proxy settings for Internet Explorer 8, to have them turned off here: Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > and then untick all of the proxy settings.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • LeiMai - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    Options
    PWI is added to all my exception lists...I've tried loading the game with all my antivirus disabled.

I have restarted everything I know how to restart.

Thats the thing, I've tried everything I know how to do.

I've deleted the game completely, redownloaded and reinstalled. I had no problem updating the game after that, but I still can't get connected.

I need the more obscure solutions I guess because I've tried all the basics.
  • Direx - Lost City
    Direx - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm having this exact same problem. However for me I just redownloaded this game after not having played since the genies came out.
  • hinuka
    hinuka Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Heey there

I am trying to get on pwi for the last hour or two
    and i keep getting the message Unable to connect yesterday morning/afternoon/night everything was fine so this is what I did I verified the game and updated checked the status of all servers and they say there are online Restart my pc checked every leak i could possible have in my connection but nothing is wrong So any more idea's

I foccused on al the basic stuff and some off the advanced parts no i didnt open ports or anything im running the game as administrator so it has all it needs

nothing seems to work and it make me feel a bad icter
  • ITzxAxVeno - Heavens Tear
    ITzxAxVeno - Heavens Tear Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    right now is maintenance. whne you get to the login click on selcet server, if it dosent list pings then you wont be able to log in anyway so dont try
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sig pic by Dorset b:thanks
  • Hinuka - Sanctuary
    Hinuka - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Already thought it was maintenance that why i looked up the server status
    they say all servers are still online b:worried Put the servers offline you slackers:P

And we have a double post on this situation so can be locked:)
  • cryocrisis
    cryocrisis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Same issue here. Server status online. No ping, unable to connect.
  • cryocrisis
    cryocrisis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ah maintenance :)
  • Direx - Lost City
    Direx - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I see, would be great if they'd have updated the server status. Ah well.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I see, would be great if they'd have updated the server status. Ah well.
    Yes, it would be. But they never have for as far back as I can remember. They've always been "online" on the front page, just that we don't have access to them while the devs are messing with them.

Edit: <__< I get first post on new pages too often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • LeiMai - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If one more person mentions maintenance in this thread I'm going to flip.

CHECK THE DAMN DATE.

Apparently I've been suffering from selective maintenance that's just special for me for THREE DAYS NOW.

THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM.

And yeah I'm pissed off! Because every single thing just says "oh its maintenance learn to read idiot" But this has been 3 days for me now. Two other people in my faction are having the same problem. And it all started WELL BEFORE MAINTENANCE.

Can someone please offer an ACTUAL solution to this problem?
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What have you tried so far?
    Did you verify files after re-installing?
    Rebooted modem / computer?
    Ran a traceroute to the server?
    Tried setting the client executeables to run with administrator privileges? (applies to Vista and Win7)
    Given us anything useful to work with other than the fact that you can't connect?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeiMai - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I put a bunch of stuff I've tried in my 1st post and my 2nd post (3rd one down).

I verified files before uninstalling and reinstalling.

I verified files after reinstalling.

I've restarted everything multiple times, the other computer with PWI on it in the home has absolutely NO problem connecting, and has not the whole time this has been happening.

I've updated my drivers.

I've tried running a client I know works (copied from other computer) on this computer.

I've adjusted my RAM.

I am administrator and I have run everything specifically with "Run as Admin" I'm on Windows Vista.

I've specifically added exceptions to my antivirus for the game and the port it connects to.

I have disabled my firewall and antivirus and attempted to connect to the game.

All the traceroutes have come back like this.
    Tracing route to pwieast3.perfectworld.com [74.201.183.68]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  mymodem 

2    48 ms    10 ms   160 ms  --------------------------- 

3    10 ms    94 ms     9 ms  ------------------------------- 

4   121 ms    31 ms    92 ms  bx5-chicagodt_xe5-0-3.net.bell.ca [64.230.186.82] 

5    94 ms    55 ms    43 ms  12.249.212.9 

6    38 ms    39 ms    38 ms  cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.132.242] 

7    39 ms    37 ms    38 ms  cr1.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.1.1] 

8   110 ms   157 ms    40 ms  gar14.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.105.25] 

9    36 ms    36 ms    37 ms  12.91.209.6 

10    36 ms    40 ms    36 ms  border1.pc1-bbnet1.nyj001.pnap.net [216.52.95.9] 

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

I'm sure I've tried other things too, but I can't remember what else at the moment. I've been at this since Sunday night.

EDIT: All I did was restart my computer and I've been unable to reconnect ever since.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2011
    Options
    with the "run as administrator.. are you just right-clicking the launcher, or have you set the properties of Loader, Patcher, and elementclient.exe to all run with those privledges?

When you updated your drivers, I assume you mean video drivers. Was it a "clean install" with a fresh download from the video card manufacturer, or did you just update it. (Although really that shouldn't affect your ability to connect to the server.)

Have you tried a different server? A different East coast server, and a west coast server.

What specific antivirus and firewall software are you using?

How, specifically, are you connected to the internet, and is there a difference between yours and your brothers?

Edit: Also, I'm curious to know how you "adjusted" your ram.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeiMai - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've tried both ways with "run as admin" I have it set by default and i right clicked, no difference.

my drivers were already up to date, but like you said that has nothing to do with my inability to connect to the servers.

I've tried a couple east coast and a couple west coast servers. As well as the new ones...all with the exact same results, 20 seconds "unable to connect". in the server list, they all have the --- status

I have windows vista firewall and Avira antivirus, nothing at all changed with them and I had no problems until I restarted my computer last Sunday.

I'm connected by wireless, and so is the other laptop which has no problems connecting to the PWI servers. brother's desktop is ethernet, and no problems. But the wireless does work fine for connecting on the other computer, its just my computer i play on that will not connect.

and IDK what to call it, someone walked me through it to change the settings so the usage is put in manually instead of letting windows do it. thats what he think was the problem originally, my ram not specifically my video card..I was just doing too many things at once or something.

I had a mechanical issue with my laptop so I couldnt be on for a few days. Once i fixed it I was able to update from tuesday's maint. It updated with no problems at all. it went completely smooth like it always does. there were no pop ups or anything. so I was able to update the client normally.

the only problem is connecting to the game servers to play.
  • Callisto - Dreamweaver
    Callisto - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm having the same issue and like you I've tried it all..I was fine yesterday and now when I log in I have a server list but none show a ping or a population..PWI is a good game but I seem to always have an issue with it. So who knows wth is going on..I asked my faction and they said they were on fine..You'd think a company as big as PW could get their games to work properly.
  • Callisto - Dreamweaver
    Callisto - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Another thing you can try is go to page two of the support forums and click the link for the patcher...I had to do that last time my game bugged out..It should work.
  • LeiMai - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean for me to try :( Do you have a link maybe?

And it is still happening, absolutely no change.

If I actually got assistance from PWI staff on this I'd be shocked at this point. It certainly doesn't encourage me to CS at all anymore...

I'd really appreciate some assistance, or should I try the ticket system and wait it out a few more weeks there?
  • Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean for me to try :( Do you have a link maybe?

And it is still happening, absolutely no change.

If I actually got assistance from PWI staff on this I'd be shocked at this point. It certainly doesn't encourage me to CS at all anymore...

I'd really appreciate some assistance, or should I try the ticket system and wait it out a few more weeks there?

The link he mentions is on the download page. Scroll down and it has the manual patch downloads. DL the most recent one and load it. I would also try verifying files afterwards just to be safe.

You won't get assistance from any GM here unless it's a stupidly simple issue, which yours is obviously not. They will just tell you to open a ticket, blah blah blah.

Example....
    Please send in a ticket to Tech Support with the following information so we can try to figure this out for you. We need you to send us some of your computer's information.

1) What is the make and model number of your computer?

2) Please also tell us whether you are running a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows. You can find out in Windows by going here: Start > Control Panel > System & Maintenance > System. Then look under System > System Type. It will then display 32bit Operating System or 64bit Operating System. Include that info with the info we ask for below.

3) To create a dxdiag log, go to Start, click on Run, then type in dxdiag and press Enter. Click on Save All Information as a text file (on your Desktop as an example.
    If you are using Vista or 7, go to the Start Menu, click on the Search menu and type dxdiag.exe.

4) Attach the dxdiag.txt that you save to your reply to us.

If you have a 64bit system, please click on the 64bit Dxdiag/DirectX button to save the correct log file.

This is important so that we can do our best to help you.
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    does your brother have multi client running, the new tos is 2 account per IP. It might just be that you have been temporally band for violating the new TOS. If that is the case you will have to send a ticket and prover your 2 different person.

It's the only other out of the box option I can think of, good luck !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dznootz - Lost City
    Dznootz - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Has anyone ever figured this out?

I was just playing decided to turn my computer off and grab a shower... I come back on and when i start the launcher in the little window it says internet explorer unable to connect.

I click play and try to login and it says unable to connect to server.

I have turned off firewall... turned off av...went into my router and opened port 29000... i restarted computer... nothing works.
  • Dznootz - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Tried to reinstall game and it says access is denied??? what am i banned somehow or something? I have no other possible idea what this could be.

I don't see how when Im using the built in element program and only have 1 computer in my entire house... running 1 client for catshop and 1 client for leveling as tos states.

I just tried battle of immortals and I can't connect there either.
  • Dznootz - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Tried to redownload from pwi site and when the PWI downloader starts it says no internet connectivity please help... this is ridiculous
  • Dznootz - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So I did everything as I stated above... Opened ports... turned off anti virus... dropped firewall completely... etc etc etc...

I did a system restore to yesterday and now I can connect again... I truly have no idea how it was client side... what it could have been... I was on playing the game I decided to take a shower and turned my laptop off to let it cool down... I login and bam unable to connect to server... Also access denied from pwi download servers... No idea how thats possible but, if you too have this problem I would suggest trying to restore your computer to a day where the game was working.