Quick Question about mid level veno gear

jyzero1
jyzero1 Posts: 23 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Venomancer
Hi all,

I've recently trained my Veno up to level 50, and was wondering which weapon I should use. Should I continue using my Wheel of Fate (or look for an upgraded one), or buy a Fine Wand of Bodhi (still haven't seen one in auctions yet...)? Also, as a Veno, how important is my gear? I'm personally still using a lot of the Rank I equipment, and thus far, it seems to be working out fairly well. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out!
Post edited by jyzero1 on

Comments

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Most people keep their Wheel of Fate until lvl 60 specially since you seem to be unable to find the Bodhi weapon in the Auction House. Simply go for a +2/+3 Wheel of Fate and add a Flawless Sapphire Shard (if you can afford) or an Average Sapphire Shard. Since you have one already, you can try refining it yourself. It's really easy to get +3 by mirages alone as long as you find an elder that is happy (which means, higher chances of success, for me it's usually in Lost City, Plume City or A thousand streams).

Don't worry too much about the weapon unless you're planning to stay at that level range quite some time. Otherwise, those levels go by really fast and you'll be lvl60 soon.

The gear is not so important at lower levels but at lvl60 you may want to invest in it a little. I swear, as soon as BH51 is available it's as if people forget how to play. That instance is really easy and yet most squads just mess up. Usually your pet will be tanking for you so you won't be taking many hits (or any hits) if you are careful. However, I strongly suggest that you start getting used to not having your pet around and not rely on it too much because your pet will not be there for you all the time and a lot of Venomancers seem to forget that. You should be able to survive without your pet in most situations. That of course requires some investment into your gear.

I'd suggest farming the mats to make TT70 armour, then go for TT80 (green or gold), then TT90 (green or gold) and then if you wish invest into either TT99, Rank8/TT99 or Nirvana. For lvl 50/60 some nice 3-star or 2-star with good bonuses will do the job.
    Refines I'd usually say +3 for TT70/TT80, +3/+4 for TT90 and +5 for your endgame gear. Although, Desdi being my first character, I didn't have the chance to farm good gear for my Venomancer until I was level 80+, I think the gear I listed above is achievable quite easily (I don't know how much you can afford or how much time/money you're willing to invest into your Venomancer. I also don't know whether you just PvE or PvP).
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    As a venomancer, your gear is less important than or many other classes.

That isn't to say that it's not important - just that it is less so.

I used the general summers magicsword at that level - but that thing is FAR too expensive now, and only lasts 30 days, so I really don't advise it.

So I would second the advice to switch up to the TT60 ancient-arbor as soon as you hit 60, and just stick with whatever you've got for now.

Alternatively - the ☆☆Devil Hunter's Ring (despite the name, not a ring) which is the quest reward for killing vriddis is a pretty good weapon.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    i used my wheel of fate until level 60; it was better than any quest reward weapon in those levels. mine was only +1; now that my wizard's using it, i refined it to +2.

you may want to start looking for better armor, if you're still wearing rank 1. if nothing else, then during the 6x levels you'll get some plenty decent arcane armor as quest rewards; i didn't buy or make any armor in that level range at all, though i did shard the bits i wore.

once you hit 70, there's TT70 armor, which is good. i'm wearing that, plus one legendary armor piece, and it's working very well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited July 2011
    Ah I forgot about the lvl77 legendary sleeves and top. I had used those as well instead of TT80 top/sleeves. They were much better and much cheaper if I'm not mistaken. I even used those sleeves until lvl99.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    eh, i'm actually wearing the lv70 legendary legs --- still too low level for the sleeves, though i've my eyes on them for the future. not sure about any legendary top, though, i haven't looked into that yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    At level 60, I used in terms of weapons, the ancient arbor and just went up with TT 70, 80, etc. For armors, I used regular armor that I got from quests, drops, cheap AH ones, or hand-me-downs from friends. The first mold I acquired was the dragon scales bottom and then I just switched off with top and bottom molds till TT 90 green. I still use the sleeves of sea captain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • jyzero1
    jyzero1 Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

On a related note, if I were to shard my gear in the 5X-7X levels, and keeping in mind future selling value, would it be best to go pure cits, pure garnets, or a mix of both? I'm rolling with about 500 pdef at the moment, and physical mobs are usually hitting me for 400-500 hp. How much pdef would I need to reduce this damage by 100?
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited July 2011
    I usually try to mix because HP with no defences or defences with no HP will have you end up dying anyway. You can add citrines on top/bottom and garnets on sleeves/boots or the other way around. You can also have two sets of ornaments (one elemental and one physical).

Although I would suggest start using garnets at lvl6x. In bh51 you'll face physical mobs and bosses. Until then you can go with HP shards only.

On the other hand you can try finding some physical defence ornaments that give bonuses with more defences and refine them to +2/+3 easily with a few mirages and then use only citrine shards. This is what I'm currently doing with my Psychic (she's lvl 70).

It's all about what you already have and what you're missing so shard according to the gear you have :)
  • TreeHugs - Harshlands
    TreeHugs - Harshlands Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    at low level its hard to get enough p.def, even from shards. you need a good bit of p.def to reduce the amount by 100 hp (cant say how much for sure though, but i would have to say maybe 1000 defense - can be wrong here though!). at lower levels, i would suggest going citrines, but either way, its your choice on which one you need more of.

in later levels though, if you think you are good on HP without citrines, you may want to shard garnets instead.

as for mixing shards, i dont like when i see mixed shards on armor, i tend to stay away from buying those pieces. its just me though, im not sure how others feel about that. even mixing levels of shards kinda bugs me lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TreeHugs - Lv. 101 Demon Rank 8 Mystic
    vixter - Lv. 101 Demon Heavy Rank 8 Venomancer
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Garnets would probably be more use to you, but citrines sell better.

I wouldn't shard higher than flawless on gear that level, and because of packs, it's probably cheaper to shard flawless than anything smaller.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited July 2011
    as for mixing shards, i dont like when i see mixed shards on armor, i tend to stay away from buying those pieces. its just me though, im not sure how others feel about that. even mixing levels of shards kinda bugs me lol.

I meant an overall mix, not actual mixing shards on one piece of gear.
    I'm kinda neutral when it comes to having different shards on a piece but I totally agree with mixing different levels of shards. Now that is something I wouldn't buy either >.>