New Archer...

PopppyyP - Raging Tide
PopppyyP - Raging Tide Posts: 16 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Archer
Hey guys! So, I have a level 42 Psychic, which is fun. I've levelled fast, really fast, earned myself a lot of money, and have come to learn the game more from playing her.
However, yesterday I was in Fb39, and happened to be in a squad with an ARCHER. She looked awesome, and was talking about how many crits she was doing etc. So after the FB, I stayed in the squad, and got talking about what archers were like to play. She said they were hard at first, but get more fun at level 20 ish. I decided to give it a go - and made an archer! She seems fun, but definelty harder to level than my other characters were at this level. I know a lot of people give up at the lower levels, as they seem slow.

What I want to know is, DO they get better/more fun at level 20? I am persisting with this archer as I personally have not seen as many archers in game as I have other classes, and would like to do well at this class. I love how quickly my Psy kills things, but I know with an archer, I will love how many numbers are on my screen, quicker than my Psy. I find that might even it out a little bit.

So, sorry for the long post, but what can you tell me about YOUR archer experience? Does it really get better at 20? I'd love to excel at this class, so please, I'd love to hear your views!

Thanks for reading b:laugh

EDIT: I have loooked up builds for archers, and have gone with the 1 STR, 4 DEX build, for damage.
Post edited by PopppyyP - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yes, they get better after level 20 due to higher dex which results in higher crit rate. These days with Jone's Blessing grinding and questing should be a breeze.

This is true up until around 100, when classes reach endgame. Archers due to being LA (which lacks both defences) lacks survival in group PvP.
  • PopppyyP - Raging Tide
    PopppyyP - Raging Tide Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know.
    Im sticking it out, and having fun actually, they're not too bad! I've tried to recieve Jones Blessing but thats not working out haha. Ill just buy some EXP stones off of someone b:shocked

Thanks for your reply.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yes, they get better after level 20 due to higher dex which results in higher crit rate. These days with Jone's Blessing grinding and questing should be a breeze.

This is true up until around 100, when classes reach endgame. Archers due to being LA (which lacks both defences) lacks survival in group PvP.

In my experience, my survival in group PvP depends a lot on my side not being significantly outnumbered by the other side.

Anyways, my survival in group PvP depends on range and depends on having people on my side backing me up when enemies pile on me. (And, btw, I have +5 armor, none of which is rank 9, and I am speaking of fighting heavily refined opponents some with +12 r9weapon and +10 or +11 r9 armor).

Edit: mind you, i also die from making mistakes and from getting too many people annoyed with me.
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    In my experience, my survival in group PvP depends a lot on my side not being significantly outnumbered by the other side.

Anyways, my survival in group PvP depends on range and depends on having people on my side backing me up when enemies pile on me. (And, btw, I have +5 armor, none of which is rank 9, and I am speaking of fighting heavily refined opponents some with +12 r9weapon and +10 or +11 r9 armor).

Edit: mind you, i also die from making mistakes and from getting too many people annoyed with me.

THIS.

Group pvp as an archer is not too bad if you have buffs, either. If you DO have buffs, and i mean full buffs, archers are pretty nice for group pvp. Lacking defenses become that much less lacking and actually do what they were intended to: defend reasonably from both phys and mag dmg.

The main problem in group pvp is pissing people off. Sharp Tooth Arrow on a tightly packed group never fails to do that. BoA also works very well.

Final point; to have a good time playing an archer, you had better be good at playing an archer. (or spend a fortune on the game) Endgame archers are still squishy. Some of our buffs will make us less squishy, for a while, but you are by no means a tank. Dont act like one.

Get used to people calling you a sissy for not standing in their range and letting yourself get pwned.
  • Chioke - Lost City
    Chioke - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Don't make an archer. Make a sin. Nobody will want to frost with you =(

I know what being an archer from 1-101 is like.

Turible.
  • VoItaire - Harshlands
    VoItaire - Harshlands Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Don't make an archer. Make a sin. Nobody will want to frost with you =(

I know what being an archer from 1-101 is like.

Turible.

Don't listen to this guy if that's the only reason he can give you not to play archer.

Archers have as much chance to get into frost as psys usually anyway, and finding squads really isn't as hard as some people make it out to be, but it can be frustrating sometimes, just please, don't base your choice on that.

Also, I can quote a lot of people on this, archer is more fun than sin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]