Pdef or Hp shards?

jackthelegend
jackthelegend Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Mystic
I am planning on saving up coins to max my gear at lvl90.
I know Pdef helps with my verdant shell. But will it help increase the pdef of my pet aswell?
If so does citrine has the same effect on my pet?
Lately I have been using Storm mistress alot and Salvation.
Reason why I actually prefer HP over Pdef is the fact that there is an increasing lot of magic mobs , and dying to magic AOE is no fun .
Any input is welcome.
Post edited by jackthelegend on

Comments

• VoItaire - Harshlands
    VoItaire - Harshlands Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    If your gear is decent you shouldn't be dying to any equal lvl magic aoes even without refines, at least not for anything below lvl 100 as far as I know. And yes, adding pdef shards will increase the defense of your summons, since it is added to gear and their stats are effected directly from gear. Same with citrines, but also noteworthy is that base vit effects your summon's hp, even though it's not part of gear. Right now I have all of my TT90 armor pieces sharded with garnets, and my hat and cape sharded with citrines. And my hp and pdef are almost the exact same self buffed. (pure mag) But at 100 I'm going to shard full citrines, cause dying in three shots whenever a psy catches me off guard and I'm not using sally isn't fun lol

Also refer to http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html

credit goes to Asterelle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scuzeme - Dreamweaver
    Scuzeme - Dreamweaver Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Actually was refering to AOE from bosses like soulbanisher and such, thanks for you input, i think i am saving up for citrines then b:thanks
  • VoItaire - Harshlands
    VoItaire - Harshlands Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Oh, well yeah that thing hurts really bad when its hp gets low, but it one shots a lot of people besides the tank at that point. You could use sally's second skill, martydom on yourself, and set her outside of the aoe range, that should help. But he'll one shot summons and healing plants unfortunately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Marta_ - Dreamweaver
    _Marta_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Pdef + sage Verdant Shell, ouyea
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~A flower blooming in space~
  • Marista - Lost City
    Marista - Lost City Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Remember that pdef has diminishing returns as you get more. It's about % reduction, not number for pdef, while getting more HP does not decrease effectiveness as you do so. I made the mistake of originally doing full pdef shards on this character and strongly regretted doing so. I would say if you have nice ornaments--90 gold, lunar gold, or cube neck, and 4th map, ws, or demonal belt--with refines +5 or better, you shouldn't need pdef shards, especially not with a pdef selfbuff and if you get a decent cape, since all the good one except chan cape have pdef adds. If you do use any, I suggest two pieces of gear be sharded with it at most, and the rest HP.

There aren't that many factor aoes either really, and even then, as long as you have decent pdef, hp will help you survive them better. The only seriously dangerous pve physical aoes I've encountered are Ancient Evil: Lethal Vengeance doing his random agro, 3-1 GBA boss, and Legion Marshal in full GV. Most other bosses are magic or close range so that they can be avoided.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So, I heard HA veno is the way to go? :3
  • TreeHugs - Harshlands
    TreeHugs - Harshlands Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    the stones are totally up to the preference of the user. it also should be determined on the refines you have.

Do you plan to have low-decent refines (+5 or lower)? you may want HP shards.

Do you plan on having high refines, +6 and higher? P.def shards may be better for you.

But, having HP doesnt always make you die less. its good to have HP if you have the p.def to back you up on it. Since we have verdant shell, the p.def from that can usually be enough to use HP shards, if your using good p.def adorns anyways.

But dont forget, the more P.def you have, the more you will get from the buffs such as v.shell and even cleric and BM buffs.

...but same goes for HP and the barb buff...

XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TreeHugs - Lv. 101 Demon Rank 8 Mystic
    vixter - Lv. 101 Demon Heavy Rank 8 Venomancer
  • XSoultakerx - Raging Tide
    XSoultakerx - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    which one is cheaper , Hp or pdef?
  • TreeHugs - Harshlands
    TreeHugs - Harshlands Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    theyre the same price, as long as theyre the same grade stones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TreeHugs - Lv. 101 Demon Rank 8 Mystic
    vixter - Lv. 101 Demon Heavy Rank 8 Venomancer
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    You need a balance, if you have a ton of HP, but no p. def, then adding a little p. def will help you a lot. If you have a ton of p. def, but no hp, then getting more hp is gonna help you more.

Although, if you always have a cleric and BM buffbot handy, nothing beats p. def.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Marista - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    Eh, I beg to differ. Having buffers actually makes pdef shards less worthwhile. With all G9 citrines and +7-8 orns on a build in calc, I get 10k pdef/72% phys resist with self + bm + cleric. Making those G9 garnets loses over 1k hp and only ends up with 14k pdef/78% resist. 6% less physical damage is not much, and 1k hp is a lot. Pdef gives seriously diminishing returns--as another example, my bm has about 16k/83% normally. In gv, with Lv 6 def aura, it's 35k pdef but only 90% resist. More than doubling it barely added 7%... So the more pdef you have, the less worth it getting more is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver
    __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Eh, I beg to differ. Having buffers actually makes pdef shards less worthwhile. With all G9 citrines and +7-8 orns on a build in calc, I get 10k pdef/72% phys resist with self + bm + cleric. Making those G9 garnets loses over 1k hp and only ends up with 14k pdef/78% resist. 6% less physical damage is not much, and 1k hp is a lot. Pdef gives seriously diminishing returns--as another example, my bm has about 16k/83% normally. In gv, with Lv 6 def aura, it's 35k pdef but only 90% resist. More than doubling it barely added 7%... So the more pdef you have, the less worth it getting more is.

Your logic is a bit off there. >.O

The difference may seem small in terms of numbers on the stat screen, but they translate to rather substantial cuts to damage intake in combat. For example...that 'small' 7% difference your BM experienced meant it was taking about 42% less physical damage than it would have been taking otherwise.

By the same token, the switch from Citrines to Garnets would lessen your Veno's (at least I'm assuming that first example is your veno?) physical damage intake by about 20%+.

Note that these percentages are rough guesstimates, and probably off by a percent or two. But I'm too lazy to open up a calculator and check atm.

Regardless, at the end of the day preference of shards should be determined by personal need/experience. In other words what he said *points to Burnout's post*. XD;
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.
  • Marista - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    No, first example was future mystic build for 10x--she's only 9x right now in actuality so I prefer using veno avatar on here. Veno was where I actually sharded pdef and was very disatisfied. And I suppose I see what you mean there--I was only considering the total damage. I've never been good with %s, so that would be my mistake. Even so, though, there are still diminishing returns. I mean, supposing a bm can punch you for 1000 per hit at 3.33 with +5 deicide (reasonable estimate; just tested it with a bm friend). So he hits 3330 damage if he gets to hit you for a second. With the 10k pdef, he'll be doing 932 damage, and with the 14k, 733. While you're right that that's 22% less damage, it's also only 200 less damage which isn't really a lot per second.

All of that said, I'll admit that my logic was a bit off in the initial post. Thank you for pointing this out, and I'll try to take greater care with it. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that it's a matter of preference, just with saying nothing beats pdef.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    No, first example was future mystic build for 10x--she's only 9x right now in actuality so I prefer using veno avatar on here. Veno was where I actually sharded pdef and was very disatisfied. And I suppose I see what you mean there--I was only considering the total damage. I've never been good with %s, so that would be my mistake. Even so, though, there are still diminishing returns. I mean, supposing a bm can punch you for 1000 per hit at 3.33 with +5 deicide (reasonable estimate; just tested it with a bm friend). So he hits 3330 damage if he gets to hit you for a second. With the 10k pdef, he'll be doing 932 damage, and with the 14k, 733. While you're right that that's 22% less damage, it's also only 200 less damage which isn't really a lot per second.

All of that said, I'll admit that my logic was a bit off in the initial post. Thank you for pointing this out, and I'll try to take greater care with it. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that it's a matter of preference, just with saying nothing beats pdef.

Do you have at least 3700 base hp? In your example, anyone with at least 3700 hp or more would survive longer by sharding all p. def. I'd assume if someone had 10k p. def w/ arcane gears, they'd have at least that much HP. But yeah my example was talking about arcane armors. If you're a HA mystic then obv. sharding p. def is stupid even w/ cleric and BM buffbots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • ArenaSkies - Sanctuary
    ArenaSkies - Sanctuary Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    This mystic is pure arcane and only has hp shards. So my physical defense is total ****. In Gamma if the physical mobs touch me, my hp goes down way too fast.

I have about 4.5khp at lvl 85 without any buffs. My gear is full of immaculate citrines. I say get some physical defense ornaments at least.
    Dumbledore: Lily... after all this time?

Snape: Always.
  • Marista - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    I suppose I'll have to admit my defeat here, heh. It's always hard to give up convictions, even when they're wrong, but even so thank you for your insight. Of course, if you have barb buff and a charm, there's still a lot to be said for more hp, but in light of this I might give my own mystic sharding plans a second look-over for endgame...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crescendia - Harshlands
    Crescendia - Harshlands Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I kinda did a hybrid build only because I share my gear from my veno

My HP at the current moment is 6.9K and my pdef with self buff goes to 6.6K. I'm comfortable with my build and I can pretty much tank 3 r8 people at the time with only self buffs in TW. I do have some unique gear though that I haven't seen others with, here's the calc: http://pwcalc.com/8f0d489c185c4f3d

I'm sticking to this composition. After I get +10 on certain gear, I'll go for event necklace and belt and the Pdef should be decent after they are +6. I also can switch off to other gears incase I need more pdef from my veno's gear that i should be obtaining this 2x: http://pwcalc.com/a6e738b165694f1e
    Originally Posted by Curses - Harshlands

Sidenote: hilarious name for a boat: "Yeah Buoy".

b:laughb:laugh
  • Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver
    Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I think that the question has an simple answer:

You intend to refine to more than +5 your set? then pdef
    No? Hp then
    Trolling since September 2008b:victory

Don't worry. I might stop trolling and say something useful... One day....
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I think the real question should be:

How much hp minimum should a mystic have at lvl 90?
  • firedolphin
    firedolphin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    i do not know~i do not know~! i wounder the same thing myself! i have pretty much EVERY class on this game (no high level, but a lot of low-level and some mid-levels), and, so far, i have only imbued stones on physical classes (but i'll imbue stones on my magic classes as well). The stones i chosed were citrines (hp) for armor and garnets (physical attack) on weapons. i have refined my main's gear to an average of roughly +3 and i used every socket i had for the gems i mentioned above.
    I can defeat most of the people i duel with (they are usually around my level). of course, i lose some duels, but hey, who doesn't?
    I can't reccomend you a certain gem, because i am not interelly sure, but i am satisfied with my current gems.
  • FortySeven - Raging Tide
    FortySeven - Raging Tide Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    first off, dont shard anything higher then immacs in TT90, should even be flawless. unless its TT90 gold bracers AA for the p def and TT90 green legs for p def, which both i have and im sticking with for a while bc i like my 7.6 pdef self and 13k pdef bm/cleric is nice., although my hp isnt great 4.7k. refines are +4 atm and rank 8 chest i got 2 nights ago has perfect cits in it. the rank 8 boots i was going to get but its 100 wedding candies which = 200 bh wines = 2000 tokens >.> so get p def orns and should shard at least 2 pieces with hp maybe 3
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Both HP and Pdef have constant returns in that the amount of marginal benefit from adding a certain amount doesn't decrease. They are only diminishing in the sense that at higher values a constant increase corresponds to a lower overall percentage increase.

For example increasing the value 5 by +10 is 200% gain while increasing the value 100 by +10 is 10% gain, the % gain goes down but the +10 is constant.

Mystic's actually receive quite a large benefit from Pdef due to verdant shell. With sage verdant, cleric buffs, and bell, you can easily have around +200% pdef. You can type in that +200% pdef into the buff field in the socket calc tool in my sig to figure out which sharding is best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • AKB - Archosaur
    AKB - Archosaur Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2011
  • ArchAngeLi - Harshlands
    ArchAngeLi - Harshlands Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    lol @ male mystic

/

I'm like this atm

http://pwcalc.com/21a4d2b17d64af41

Don't ask about the tome, it's from my archer and I'm still farming a pro one

According to calc I should put G9 citrines on all my sockets o.o but that sounds scary QQQQQQQQ
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    About to hit lvl 90 and get new gear. My hp is really low right now. And I'm sharded with part garnets/citrines. I'm thinking about doing full citrines, but I'll lose p def. Lolz Idk what to do xD
  • AKB - Archosaur
    AKB - Archosaur Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    in full buffed squad we mystic have 3 p.def buff (cleric,bm,mystic) b:victory
    just keep ur hp to safe level b:pleased then add p.def shard if ur hp is good enough
  • Clearweather - Sanctuary
    Clearweather - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    i balanced my pdef and hp by sharding gear half half, meaning 3parts are pdef,3 part hp.
    as someone mentioned soulbanisher, i never had problems with his aoe in BB,
    but then again, im not a pure mag build
    right now fully buffed i have almost 6k hp, and around 4.5 pdef, which im satisfied with,since currently i have unfinished gear/shards and crappy refines XD
    time to farm coins,me thinks.
  • zyean
    zyean Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    The answer is a mix of both, both shards are around the same price, at least on the server I'm on they are