Light Armor vs. Robes

Navious - Sanctuary
Navious - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Cleric
Hi, I'd like your guys opinions on what to build my cleric. I'd like to be healing, but I'd also like to put out damage, and not die in 3 hits. Any suggestions please? What I'm really asking is, is it worth it to put the points into Dexterity to get Light Armor? Or to just stick with Robes?
Post edited by Navious - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Hi, I'd like your guys opinions on what to build my cleric. I'd like to be healing, but I'd also like to put out damage, and not die in 3 hits. Any suggestions please? What I'm really asking is, is it worth it to put the points into Dexterity to get Light Armor? Or to just stick with Robes?

No. It's not.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    No. LA is fail on a cleric.

If you want survivability, go vit/mag build.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    LA is fail for any mage class. Only reason some may do it is because they already have the gear on Sin or Archer.
  • Ashivas - Dreamweaver
    Ashivas - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited July 2011

Just go 1 str, 2 vit, 7 mag every 2 levels til you hit 50 vit and 54 str. Then go full mag.

Don't go LA, it's ewwie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ashura Tyrant you foul mouthed little boy! I must keel yew nao =3
  • Navious - Sanctuary
    Navious - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Okay, thank you for that information everyone! b:pleased
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Just go 1 str, 2 vit, 7 mag every 2 levels til you hit 50 vit and 54 str. Then go full mag.

Don't go LA, it's ewwie.

^what he said.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • ChubbyKyros - Lost City
    ChubbyKyros - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Haha, Good Question that have been debating, Anyone APS(FIST CLERIC) out there wanna shall his/her experience with it?b:chuckle
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    take it logically , why being weak to both types of dmg , and not being weak to one type only ??? so go arcane and stick with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    take it logically , why being weak to both types of dmg , and not being weak to one type only ??? so go arcane and stick with it.

The argument about defense doesn't work:

http://pwcalc.com/dd5417f270dce573
    AA- 29% preduction, 68 mag

http://pwcalc.com/948c7ce252f2dd84
    LA- 49% preduction, 56 mag

You gain 20% physical dmg reduction for only 13% mag reduction. I don't think many would not go LA if the argument were just about defense.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    thumbs wrote: »
    The argument about defense doesn't work:

http://pwcalc.com/dd5417f270dce573
    AA- 29% preduction, 68 mag

http://pwcalc.com/948c7ce252f2dd84
    LA- 49% preduction, 56 mag

You gain 20% physical dmg reduction for only 13% mag reduction. I don't think many would not go LA if the argument were just about defense.

Self-buffed 10x AA (garnet shards):
    http://pwcalc.com/9b765ebcef3e1e20

HP: 4758
    Avg Mattk: 9315
    Pdef: 4637 (54%)
    Mdef: 11504 (74%)

Self-buffed 10x LA (citrine shards):
    http://pwcalc.com/70880fde14b999ae

HP: 5530
    Avg Mattk: 7090
    Pdef: 6387 (61%)
    Mdef: 7246 (64%)

Differences:

in HP -> 772 (favors LA)
    in Mattk -> 2225 (favors AA)
    in Pdef -> 1750 (favors LA)
    in Mdef -> 4258 (favors AA)

LA clearly wins out where it's supposed to: HP (higher refines in armor) and Pdef (higher base). The argument isn't which has better base stats. It's the fact that you can get comparable stats with AA without a deleterious effect on your initial class skill: healing ability. And, fyi, LA is mediocre at defenses compared to the two other defensive options, which I believe is what was meant.

AA -> excellent mdef, low pdef.
    LA -> mediocre mdef, mediocre pdef.
    HA -> low mdef, excellent pdef.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray