should I buy the highest lv armor at NPC?

Options
shiaaa333
shiaaa333 Posts: 174 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
My current armor is not the highest lv armor I can wear so far but it's imbued with 3 shards mag def +21 +21 +12. should I buy the highest one from NPC anyway?

2d0nt68.png

3145kpw.png

Also, I can't decide which hat I should wear either... I got 2 hats, one add less mp but it has 3 sockets that can be imbued and become better in the future; the other add more mp but doesnt have any socket..

2vkao1g.png

a434gw.png
Post edited by shiaaa333 on

Comments

• Pardonne - Heavens Tear
    Pardonne - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    For the armor, the clear choice is the Robe of Sacred Tortoise. With the shards added, you have 469 magic resistance for each stat. Compare that to 690.
    As for the hat, I'd think that unless you were going to imbue the Yeti Scalp with Citrines or Garnets, go with the Raintaker.
  • shiaaa333
    edited June 2011
    Options
    but right now i dont have any shards. the 3 shards i got from reward r imbued into sunsprite's warmth....should i buy the one from NPC? but the Robe of Sacred Tortoise at NPC doesnt come with socket..
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Armour from NPCs is plain - no blue magic bonuses, no sockets.

So - just compare the defence numbers on it to the numbers on your current item (including the boost from shards etc.) and see which is higher.

It's not rocket science.
  • Sir_Wolfman - Raging Tide
    Sir_Wolfman - Raging Tide Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I suggest you stick to NPC armor till you reach lv 70. Save up your shards and don't use them yet. Once you hit 70 leveling becomes very slow and probably worth getting tt armor and possibly shard then.

However at lv 30 if you did your quest you should be able to get the nice rank armor by talking to commader and chief and the person to his right.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    along the way to level 70, you'll get plenty of quest reward armors and mob drop armors that are much better than NPC-bought stuff. you may also decide to level up your tailoring skill at some point, which would generate more potentially wearable kit. do use those whenever they happen to be better than what NPCs sell.

many of the shards you earn in the lower levels aren't good for much, and not really worth much either. might as well stick them in an empty socket rather than just leave it empty. in the OP's case, a couple averages and a blemished --- that's not even 120k coin all together, maybe 125 after the imbuing fee. no big deal.

i see people using the rank armor long, long past level 30 --- and i sort of question just how long it's worth sticking to. at level 30, yeah, it's pretty nice. but when you're past 50...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Rank armour: Depends on your class. Also - is very hard to actually get at an early level.

For a venomancer who cares more about pdef than mdef, the 30 rank armour is good right up to 60, and the 60 rank armour is arguably better than TT70. (Depends on which stats you prefer)
    For melee classes - not so much.

And yes - you may as well use up those shards. I saved mine and all that means is I had a bunch of useless shards - you don't really get enough to combine into useful ones.
  • Hiemus - Raging Tide
    Hiemus - Raging Tide Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'd say go for the highest level armor. If you can make your own, their stats are always better than NPC ones. Also Hat 1 is better with PHY RES
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shiaaa333
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm cleric lv 51 now. I still havent' change my sunsprite's warmth into higher lv armor because my sunspirite has been imbued with 3 shards... should I buy the higher armor that doesnt have socket from NPC?
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I would recommend just sticking with quest reward equips or drops. They tend to be much better than the npc equips due to added stats and potential to be 2 or 3 star equipment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • shiaaa333
    edited June 2011
    Options
    but my sunsrpite's not quest reward... I think I picked it up...
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Where it comes from does not matter.

Look at your current armour. What is its defence? Remember to include the bonuses from blue added stats and from shards.

Do the same for the new armour you propose to put on.

Which has the higher number? That is the better armour.

After THAT you need to decide "Ok, this one is worse, but it ALSO has a magical bonus of +3 dex" (or whatever) and then you have to decide based on how you play which one you prefer.

But the name of the armour, where you go it from - NONE of that matters to the game. All that matters for its effectiveness is the numbers.

How many times and ways do I need to say this?

How come you've not been doing this all along every five minutes when a monster drops a piece of gear?
  • shiaaa333
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I kno my current armor has less phy. and five element res. than the one from NPC, alot less. But it's imbued and has mag def about 21+21+12=54. The one from NPC doesn't have sockets to be further improve... should I go with the one has higher phy. and five element res. or go with the one has higher mag def??
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    shiaaa333 wrote: »
    I kno my current armor has less phy. and five element res. than the one from NPC, alot less. But it's imbued and has mag def about 21+21+12=54. The one from NPC doesn't have sockets to be further improve... should I go with the one has higher phy. and five element res. or go with the one has higher mag def??

*sigh*. let's do the math one more time.

PHYS RES:
    level 50 sacred tortoise -- 77.
    level 30 sunsprite's warmth -- 46.
    the level-50 robe wins.

MAG DEF:
    level 50 sacred tortoise -- 690.
    level 30 sunsprite's warmth -- 415+21+21+12 = 469.
    the level-50 one wins again, EVEN AFTER you consider the shards.

there's just no contest here; the NPC-bought, no-socket, unrefined, level-50 robe is the better of these two.

shards only matter if the baseline, unsharded, stats are at least vaguely comparable. otherwise they just can't make up the difference. add up the numbers and compare, that really shouldn't be hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • shiaaa333
    edited June 2011
    Options
    oh well.. i just dont know mag def is the same thing as five element def... i thought it's another sort of def...