Good class for beginners

jusanden
jusanden Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hi im kinda new to PWI and would like you guys to reccomend me a class if thats not too bothersome.

the traits im looking for is that they can decently solo, does not require really high level to be good, needs some thinking to play effectivley, and isnt venomances.

thanks
Post edited by jusanden on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    jusanden wrote: »
    Hi im kinda new to PWI and would like you guys to reccomend me a class if thats not too bothersome.

it depends hugely on how you prefer to play, what sort of role you like to play in a squad.
    the traits im looking for is that they can decently solo,

any class really, but venos excel at it.
    does not require really high level to be good,

no class really, but venos are decent even fairly low.
    needs some thinking to play effectivley,

venos, among a couple others, fit this well.
    and isnt venomances.

d'oh.

honestly, we need to know more about your playstyle preferences to make a good recommendation. do you prefer to DD or support? heal or debuff? magic or melee?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Pardonne - Heavens Tear
    Pardonne - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Mystics are about as close as you can get to a veno without being a veno...,with some of the benefits, and the skills to heal plus fairly high damage so go with that. xD
  • endlesstorture
    endlesstorture Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    BladeMaster
  • Liba - Heavens Tear
    Liba - Heavens Tear Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    If you don't like veno'ing, you probally won't like being a mystic. Veno is The most diverse in-depth and changeable class in game, and i found being a mystic rather boring (the mana drain is a HUGE pain in the back side)
    If you want to be able to solo things, and you have money; Roll a sin. High damage, as well as exculsive daggers, self-heal with blood paint, which added with some nice -int can have you self-healing yourself (with some pots to sustain) in your 60's :).
    If you don't like melee fighting style... I'd say try a veno atleast to lvl 25; if not.... Try a cleric, you'll get loads of shizz from other players... but you can get revenge by not healing them :S.
    If you Love seeing high numbers on your screen, as well as using a veriety of tactical skills; Psychic.
    Good luck, hope to see you in game
    ~ Liba
    Haters gunna love this ^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Liba- 9x Sage veno, TheEmpire
    X_xMoonx_X - 7x Future demon cleric
    _Nix_x - 7x Sin :)
  • Sir_Wolfman - Raging Tide
    Sir_Wolfman - Raging Tide Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I would say blademaster for you because they are a balanced class. You aren't really sacrificing anything in order to excel in one attribute
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I would agree with BM if you do not want to go with venomancer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • Sharuum - Lost City
    Sharuum - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, so mystic has no real tank pet. They have a lot more DPS and venos and can heal as well, but a veno with herc (or even a well skilled golem) can solo a lot more than most classes. Sin and BM can solo stuff once you get them to 9x-10x and spend millions of coins on interval gear, and neither takes skill to play in that fashion. True BM's do require plenty of skill, but if your going to solo its just 3spark, aps, 3spark lol.

On the other hand, veno solo is incredibly boring and actually might be even worse (as far as bosses go). You can literally put a weight on your heal key and go afk for a couple mins then use metabolic boost/nature's grace/transfusion then go back to healing. AoE is the only thing you need to watch out for. Any class (minus sin) requires thinking to play well. As far as non venos without interval gear goes, PSY is a good magic caster to solo with. They have a lot of buffs as well as defensively based status effects. 2 slows, 1 root in water based skills. Stun, accuracy debuff (eventually 50% silence chance at 100) in earth.

I am sure others can tell you what other classes are good for solo but I can guarantee you that unless you want to spend the equivalent of $200 real life, veno is far and away your best bet. Back in the day, herc used to be worth about $400, now its down to like $30-40 so yeah.
    edited June 2011
    Back in the day, herc used to be worth about $400, now its down to like $30-40 so yeah.

how exactly are you getting a herc for that little?

no joke, because if they're available that cheap, i may very well go get one for myself. i just don't see 'em for that, is lost city that much different from heaven's tear?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Sharuum - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    Hmm lemme calculate it real quick, but its close to that.

My friend bought one a couple weeks ago for 65m. Assuming current gold exchange rates and accounting for 2% fee. Gold was at 1.2m at the time so the herc costed $51.

So maybe it wasn't quite 30-40, but still really close. It's 10% of the 2.5 year ago price versus 12.75% of the 2.5 year ago price. Maybe they have risen a bit since then and I we did shop around for about a week. It wasn't too long after the easter sale I guess, but still they are incredibly cheap now.
    edited June 2011
    Hmm lemme calculate it real quick, but its close to that.

My friend bought one a couple weeks ago for 65m. Assuming current gold exchange rates and accounting for 2% fee. Gold was at 1.2m at the time so the herc costed $51.

i'm assuming your friend didn't use battle pet packs and source of force, then?
  • Sharuum - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    Nope, SoF sell for 10k each, needing 9999 of them means you need 100m. Even at that, its still a hell of a lot less than it was 2+ years ago.
    edited June 2011
    Nope, SoF sell for 10k each, needing 9999 of them means you need 100m. Even at that, its still a hell of a lot less than it was 2+ years ago.

okay, so they found a herc ticket for cheap from somebody who'd gotten it out of a pack. i confess i haven't seriously tried pricing those out on HT, but i don't see them advertised much anymore and i don't think they ever got quite that cheap on my server. i suppose i could've missed the really good deals, though --- i didn't have nearly as much coin back in april when those herc ticket packs were on sale.

still, the notion that SoF would have been more expensive years ago? that doesn't make much sense, unless they've been fiddling with battle pet pack prices. SoF prices should be tied to gold prices through what a battle pet pack costs, and so they should only ever drop when those packs go on sale; otherwise they should be slowly rising as gold inflates. you sure you're not remembering wrong?
  • Sharuum - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    Well, without a pack sale and assuming 26.8 sources per pack according to pwdatabase, it would have costed approximately $373 to get a herc. $186 if you have a sale. I don't remember there being any sales back then so idk. I guess that the best way is: buy ticket from player < buy SoF at 10k ea < buy packs from cash shop. In terms of cost.
  • Ebbis - Dreamweaver
    Ebbis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    The best classes for me so far are Tideborn Psychic, and/or Assassin (both are awesome, you can turn into mermaids/mermen!) and also, Untamed Venomancer is nice too (also quite cute :) ) b:laugh

Venomancer is a nice starter class though. Psychic and Assassin a little too dependant on skills at first b:sad.
    Look into the Ebbis...and see....blue?!
  • Sharuum - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    The best classes for me so far are Tideborn Psychic, and/or Assassin (both are awesome, you can turn into mermaids/mermen!) and also, Untamed Venomancer is nice too (also quite cute :) ) b:laugh

Venomancer is a nice starter class though. Psychic and Assassin a little too dependant on skills at first b:sad.

Yeah my veno is awesome, I gave her antlers, a light blue eternal love set, matching eyes, and red hair. I figured that since I was forced to play a girl, I might as well make it classy and something that I wouldn't mind looking at. Although the whole thing can be confusing as a GIRL (guy in real life).
  • OiOOio - Raging Tide
    OiOOio - Raging Tide Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Ive rolled every class of now except a seeker.

I however have not yet played all of them the same amount of time, but I always find myself liking a veno better.

But my main is an archer and just trying to get her lvled.
    I have lvled a mystic pretty close to my veno and find out that they work very well together.
    I have soloed several bosses even with an AOE and survived since i used the healing herb and mystic as a cleric to heal my veno when the aoe hit.

also using the mistress pet helps especially those ranged bosses.
  • halospeaks
    halospeaks Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Okay so I'm new too, and I like the sound of the Barbarian, but I also want the ability to use fist weapons (Claws, etc). So is there anyway for them to use them or what class(es) use(s) them?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Anyone (except the molemen) CAN use them.

BMs can use skills when using them.
  • firedolphin
    firedolphin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    halospeaks wrote: »
    Okay so I'm new too, and I like the sound of the Barbarian, but I also want the ability to use fist weapons (Claws, etc). So is there anyway for them to use them or what class(es) use(s) them?

If you want fists and claws, chose a blademaster.
  • firedolphin
    firedolphin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, so mystic has no real tank pet. They have a lot more DPS and venos and can heal as well, but a veno with herc (or even a well skilled golem) can solo a lot more than most classes. Sin and BM can solo stuff once you get them to 9x-10x and spend millions of coins on interval gear, and neither takes skill to play in that fashion. True BM's do require plenty of skill, but if your going to solo its just 3spark, aps, 3spark lol.

On the other hand, veno solo is incredibly boring and actually might be even worse (as far as bosses go). You can literally put a weight on your heal key and go afk for a couple mins then use metabolic boost/nature's grace/transfusion then go back to healing. AoE is the only thing you need to watch out for. Any class (minus sin) requires thinking to play well. As far as non venos without interval gear goes, PSY is a good magic caster to solo with. They have a lot of buffs as well as defensively based status effects. 2 slows, 1 root in water based skills. Stun, accuracy debuff (eventually 50% silence chance at 100) in earth.

I am sure others can tell you what other classes are good for solo but I can guarantee you that unless you want to spend the equivalent of $200 real life, veno is far and away your best bet. Back in the day, herc used to be worth about $400, now its down to like $30-40 so yeah.
    WHAT? my main is a sin (lvl76, so far) and i can tell you, as a devoted player who has tried every class (even tough i never reached "high-level"), that assassin DOES take skill.
    If you use your skills wisely, you can stun-lock most of people of your own level. If not, you're doomed.
    Assasins only work well if their opponents are stuned, really.
    If you fight someone without stunning or putting them to sleep, you are likely to lose by far! (specially if it is a mystic)
    It takes some skill to prevent your team mates from dieing in some situations...
    (eg: if you see that your squad mates can't handle the mobs that are ATTACKING them, you can quickly throw a knife at one, stun with shadow teleport another, use shadow jump to another and sleep/using head hunt that one. Just by doing that, you give the cleric enough time to heal them...(and enough time for them to fight back))
    At bosses, it takes skill to try to syncronize your throat cut with the boss's channeling (NOT EASY! you must start doing it before the boss does, otherwise you won't hit it on time!).
    Can you really say that it takes no skill to play a assassin? b:laugh
  • Sharuum - Lost City
    edited July 2011
    WHAT? my main is a sin (lvl76, so far) and i can tell you, as a devoted player who has tried every class (even tough i never reached "high-level"), that assassin DOES take skill.
    If you use your skills wisely, you can stun-lock most of people of your own level. If not, you're doomed.
    Assasins only work well if their opponents are stuned, really.
    If you fight someone without stunning or putting them to sleep, you are likely to lose by far! (specially if it is a mystic)
    It takes some skill to prevent your team mates from dieing in some situations...
    (eg: if you see that your squad mates can't handle the mobs that are ATTACKING them, you can quickly throw a knife at one, stun with shadow teleport another, use shadow jump to another and sleep/using head hunt that one. Just by doing that, you give the cleric enough time to heal them...(and enough time for them to fight back))
    At bosses, it takes skill to try to syncronize your throat cut with the boss's channeling (NOT EASY! you must start doing it before the boss does, otherwise you won't hit it on time!).
    Can you really say that it takes no skill to play a assassin? b:laugh

Lol, just wait until endgame. All i see is Shadow Teleport -> Aps ftw, or maybe 3-spark - Shadow Teleport -> aps. Once you have high aps (which EVERYONE goes for unless maybe a couple r9's), any skills that you use while sparked just cut into your overall killing speed. I agree that they CAN be played with skill, but its just not as effective as killing the bosses/mobs/pc's so fast that they dont even get to use their spells.