Censorship Petition

Comments

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Wow, looks like I missed the catfight a few pages back. XD I guess that's what I get for only posting at work.

For those in support of the censor... I'm trying not to fly off the handle, here. And I know it's just rote habit for you "moral few" to skim (at best) through a thread with a complex and nuanced issue, and just inject black-and-white dogma into it unsolicited. But I have news for you: it only succeeds in making you look like a fool. It only proves that you never read the thread and have zero grasp of the issue at hand, yet you feel compelled to present your ideals-masuqerading-as-opinions anyway as if they contribute the same amount to the thread. It's like watching a four-year-old ruin a beautiful piece of artwork with bright red fingerpaints because they think they can "make it better." >_>

But in the end, I actually feel sorry for you. Truly, I do. I feel sorry for you because you seem to genuinely, honestly think that a "badwords.txt" file can make anyone stop or learn from anything. The people who are going to use "vulgar" chat are going to continue to use it despite the filer, via filter circumvention or just thinking up new ways to say the same old phrases that you so affectionately deem "****" (which IMO is one of the most pretentious words in the English language >_>).

The end result would be a world chat which is no better off than it is before, and people who have legitimate, mature things to say getting censored because PWE was too lazy to actually enforce moderation. Hence you would still find yourself complaining about "****" even as half the words you say are getting censored.

tl;dr because it seems to need to be repeated eight billion times: CENSORS ARE NOT A SUBSITUTE FOR MODERATION. END OF STORY.

My only regret is that, when the censors are relaxed in next maintenance, you may never have to see the situation I described above, and thus you may never learn these things firsthand. But what the hell - ignorance is bliss, right? -_-

In closing, I feel like this is a good time for us all to review LenieClarke's very eloquent post about 7-8 pages back, which thoroughly details why censors are, fundamentally, useless tools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • princeraider
    princeraider Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    On my veno I now have a pet called a Twinheaded C****. Why is PWI censoring it's own mobs names?
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    CENSORS ARE NOT A SUBSITUTE FOR MODERATION. END OF STORY.

This. Said that a few pages back. I would love to have MODs ingame watching chat. They could silence people for a few hours. Man I'd so apply even if I don't play too much.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Biatch_ - Harshlands
    Biatch_ - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    if they not gonna fix it,its gonna be a waste of a char cause you cant even get squad invites when the person is not on your friends list,so whats the use playing that char ......its useless
    after all this time they came up with this ****??????? should have made it like that from the beginning when you named your char!!!!!!!! wake up please ur a lil late......b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanx Jean for the siggib:kiss
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    On my veno I now have a pet called a Twinheaded C****. Why is PWI censoring it's own mobs names?

One of my chars had a quest for the now-named culti boss Tangle****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • NOTREAL - Archosaur
    NOTREAL - Archosaur Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Bump :

1: Revert.
    2: Give us the choice to switch it off completely.
    3: Both of the above.

Your stupid filter is ****.
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Keep the censors - woot!

To be honest, too many people on this game get away with going around the rules and world chat goes completely out of control with nastiness pretty much daily. I'd rather have chat be too censored than not enough...

For those people who made the nasty toon names... deal with it or make new toons... you choose the name plain and simple...

Major thumbs up to PWi for trying to fix an issue!!! Thank you so much! Now you have time to go make the game better in other areas... <333

Raine, dear,.... are you dumb? You'll still have offensive language in chats WITH OR WITHOUT A FILTER

I.t's n.o.t t.o h.a.r.d t.o t.y.p.e l.i.k.e t.h.i.s t.o g.e.t a.r.o.u.n.d a f.a.i.l a.s.s f.u.c.k.i.n.g f.i.l.t.e.r

So not only would your chat take longer and be more difficult to read, and distract you for longer, you'd also still have names that are deemed "Non-offensive" Such as FuqTheWorld or FookThisPoosy still roaming around freely and unhindered. Please, get your last few remaining brain cells back from swift.
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • varenique
    varenique Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Do Not Post Unless You Have Read The Thread!
  • S_Rya - Harshlands
    S_Rya - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    LoL..censored all my italian language
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Keep the censors - woot!

To be honest, too many people on this game get away with going around the rules and world chat goes completely out of control with nastiness pretty much daily. I'd rather have chat be too censored than not enough...

For those people who made the nasty toon names... deal with it or make new toons... you choose the name plain and simple...

Major thumbs up to PWi for trying to fix an issue!!! Thank you so much! Now you have time to go make the game better in other areas... <333

Like Janus is a bad name?

What are you joking?
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Like Janus is a bad name?

What are you joking?
    I just lol'd seeing someone spell "quantity" and got censored. Obvious reasons there. Is this update fail enough PWI? Maybe you should stop updating things since all you seem to do is break ****.
  • NOTREAL - Archosaur
    NOTREAL - Archosaur Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I just lol'd seeing someone spell "quantity" and got censored. Obvious reasons there. Is this update fail enough PWI? Maybe you should stop updating things since all you seem to do is break ****.

b:laugh Lol I see why your name is blocked. Epic.

I didnt even notice until someone mentioned it was blocked lol. PErfect proof, if more were needed, that this filter is ****ing ****.
  • RosangeIa - Heavens Tear
    RosangeIa - Heavens Tear Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I really think they should just give us an on/off option for the censorship in the first place like almost every other MMO out there does. They have to know that most people on this game are at least 17+. At least I rarely run into kids... I'm sure they're out there. And if that's the case there should be a parental lock on their accounts or something based on their registration age or whatnot. I'm sure there's a better way to deal with censorship issues than messing up peoples' innocent names with a ridiculously strict censor.

And like I've read other people say already, if there was an on/off button people would be less inclined to find ways around the filter anyway. So therefore the real vulgar language would actually be censored to those who choose to have it be so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here since October 2008 ;)

Check out my Art Corner:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1212861
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I really think they should just give us an on/off option for the censorship in the first place like almost every other MMO out there does. They have to know that most people on this game are at least 17+. At least I rarely run into kids... I'm sure they're out there. And if that's the case there should be a parental lock on their accounts or something based on their registration age or whatnot. I'm sure there's a better way to deal with censorship issues than messing up peoples' innocent names with a ridiculously strict censor.

And like I've read other people say already, if there was an on/off button people would be less inclined to find ways around the filter anyway. So therefore the real vulgar language would actually be censored to those who choose to have it be so.

The game is intended for only those that have reached the age of majority, according to the ToS. I don't think they put it in to "save the children!!!!" but to keep with the ToS where they said they were going to keep it clean. This makes it even more stupid that this filter is so far reaching, because it literally is blocking the private conversations of people who are REQUIRED to be adults before they even play this game. If someone wants to help their kid bypass the age requirement, then it's their fault if their kid sees something they didn't want them to. Don't let them PVP and keep the channel on whisper so that they can only see system messages and private communication. Don't let them join guilds. If they need a party you form it and help them do their stuff. Problem solved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • nothingtosaynow
    nothingtosaynow Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I think that guys just wont get the info about it. The filter is useless cause u can type like Larkray showed it... J.u.s.t i.n. t.h.a.t w.a.y ... try it with badwords that already cencored like Larkray did too... it work... if u want to u can, dont matter about the filter...

But the filter hurts in other ways, it hurts cause normal names, words are got cencored just cause of a combination of letters in them... Normal ones, nothing bad, but cencored for no reason now.

The ppl that choosed names as they made their toons and gave them a name and that are now cencored cant now be blacklisted... bad as well cause that would work to protect ur eyes when u wont see the badwords from that person anymore... and they cant be whispered, invited and so on... So the fun for that ppl is over for now... for no reason

There are things in the game that got cencored... lol PWE made a filter to filter their own game... thats called: OWNED!!!

And nobody will learn to dont use any badword whatever reason by dont use them or better by dont use them in normal way... cause like i said... they can still be used, just use l33t, points... i cant believe i repeat myself in every post i do... but here are ppl that wont get it... im not alone with repeating it... so Larkray may have right: dump... exuse me so far but what is so difficult to get it?

And there is still one thing that make me laugh a bit about all that... PW did a useless filter in the game and owned themselve in that way + take some ppl cause of names with em + dont care about meaning some words from other language, just cencored them... The thing that make me laugh a bit so far is, ppl that uses normal words without any filter and others read it, both wont think anything bad in that way... but now cause its filtered so much: a person say anything and get lots of *'s in it... the other persons read it and start just to think: umm what kind of bad things tried that person to say? ... There is nothing, but thats what it does... We have a proverb for that where i live: Evil to him who evil thinks.

And that make ppl try to use some badwords in wc CAUSE of the filter, its funny in their thinkings... thats not adult acting but true

And PWI outwritten is Perfect World INTERNATIONAL ... so far im not wrong in that case, that means all nations are welcome... so whats about all that nations and their language... normal words that just include the banned combinations? Whats about the Japanese ppl? Is that the right way of being against racism? Hmm? I dont think so

We all dont need so much argue anymore cause it will change back soon... but hey why the hell some ppl have that kind of bad thinkings? Maybe too sensitive to play a game as adult with all what is in? And no idea that even Youngsters dont need to be protected in that way and CANT be protected in all what they do whole day like school, play outside home, meet friends, looking tv + play a game... If parents are ok with their kids play an online game they should trust their kids that they do it well... if not, there is nothing wrong cause there is no filter... there is something wrong in parents education...
  • Belzeber - Raging Tide
    Belzeber - Raging Tide Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    How about letting players have an ingame customizable censor list? Put down up 50 or 100
    words you don't want to see. Any word.

This would keep you from seeing the words you think are inappropriate and keep everyone else from suffering from all the fail censorship.

Also why isn't pri.ck censored ingame? b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Awesome signature by Bellefleurs <3
    "Any tree can drop an apple. I'll drop the freakin' moon!"
    "Any voice can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!"

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1335981

Bring Toonami back to Cartoon Network! Show your support!
  • Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver
    Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    <==== i wonder if they will censor the name Raggamuffin toob:cry
    oh well there goes my bmb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    The game is intended for only those that have reached the age of majority, according to the ToS. I don't think they put it in to "save the children!!!!" but to keep with the ToS where they said they were going to keep it clean. This makes it even more stupid that this filter is so far reaching, because it literally is blocking the private conversations of people who are REQUIRED to be adults before they even play this game. If someone wants to help their kid bypass the age requirement, then it's their fault if their kid sees something they didn't want them to. Don't let them PVP and keep the channel on whisper so that they can only see system messages and private communication. Don't let them join guilds. If they need a party you form it and help them do their stuff. Problem solved.

As far as private conversations I don't think the im system in game has been effected, even with the previous filters. I'll test the theory out later when I challenege a friend to a little...verbal match xDDD

But seriously, even with the filters in whispers, the ims in game weren't affected at all.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    As far as private conversations I don't think the im system in game has been effected, even with the previous filters. I'll test the theory out later when I challenege a friend to a little...verbal match xDDD

But seriously, even with the filters in whispers, the ims in game weren't affected at all.

Where did I say the IMS? I haven't tested that yet but squad, whisper, and guild chat all of which are private from the general public were affected as well. I'll have to test out the private chat feature I suppose, but that shouldn't be necessary to gameplay. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Where did I say the IMS? I haven't tested that yet but squad, whisper, and guild chat all of which are private from the general public were affected as well. I'll have to test out the private chat feature I suppose, but that shouldn't be necessary to gameplay. :P
    Well chatrooms are helpful if you're trying to get a fb or bh squad, and same with ims. Which is better than noting :s
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Chat rooms are affected. While you'll see the word normally, everyone else will see stars.
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Yea, I noticed you cannot even ******* say japan any more =\ (it shows up ***an)

WTFITS !?
  • Livrie - Dreamweaver
    Livrie - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    A mass disconnect hit during a BH run tonight, and I couldn't reinvite everyone because of some names being starred out. I'm sure the affected players didn't appreciate it.

I can't even say harmless words like "identity" with the new filter. This sort of censoring just prompts me to see 'dirty' words where I wouldn't have otherwise. That seems counter-productive.
    AsOne faction - asone-dw.mmoguildsites.com - PvE, we do that.
  • SusanooX - Lost City
    SusanooX - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I have to say the filter is annoying, it was fine but the game play would start to fall since the use of censoring factions, names, and words; I understand CAPS and Spam but the word censored needs to be censored.
  • RosangeIa - Heavens Tear
    RosangeIa - Heavens Tear Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I'm hoping this whole thing is only temporary and was just some big goof up on someone's part... How could they possibly overlook something this stupid? If they do truly test patches before they're released through a GM access only server, you'd think part of the testing process would be to create a toon with a "bad word" in its name just to see what would happen. >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here since October 2008 ;)

Check out my Art Corner:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1212861
  • amarysaucy
    amarysaucy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I've read almost all of the posts in the thread, I did admittedly skim over the last three pages or so and skipped walls o' text (seriously, when my screen is 1000px high and your post still requires scrolling? Too. Much.).

I've never liked PW's filter. It's so arbitrary! **** is okay but not kum? I can only wish I didn't know what **** is commonly used for in everyday english. Most people I know have never heard of the real meaning of ****. I would also likely not associate kum with the slang meaning of ****.

As far as names go, I have seen so many names that I personally find offensive, but a filter likely would not. RapistMage, for instance (who also reputedly gets very upset if you mention that you do not like his name). So block "ra.pe"? Well, there goes everyone who likes grapes. A filter will help, but never do the job of moderation for you.

There's also names like FuhqTheGovt, yofokinmommy - this person also has a whole series of characters prefixed with "yofokin", but was, to their credit, a decent player - venos that name their pets 'va.gina', but without the "." .

I would love to see more of these names that would not be filtered be moderated.

I would also love to see the filter given a dose of sanity, because really? REALLY? This is ridiculous.

Edit: See! I had to dot-pass ra.pe, but grapes came through okay. Why does the game use a far weaker filter than the forums?
  • Biatch_ - Harshlands
    Biatch_ - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    OK PWI is fixin the problem of the names ....thank you for this b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanx Jean for the siggib:kiss
  • Juliaasmith - Dreamweaver
    Juliaasmith - Dreamweaver Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    The bleeping of words and names I think has become rather rediculas!! They are bleeping words that aren't even bad. b:chuckle
  • chiyanne70
    chiyanne70 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    it should be up to us, (the players) to decide whether we want censorship or not!!!b:angry
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I'm hoping this whole thing is only temporary and was just some big goof up on someone's part... How could they possibly overlook something this stupid? If they do truly test patches before they're released through a GM access only server, you'd think part of the testing process would be to create a toon with a "bad word" in its name just to see what would happen. >_>

You give them too much credit b:laughb:laughb:laugh
    chiyanne70 wrote: »
    it should be up to us, (the players) to decide whether we want censorship or not!!!b:angry

I couldn't agree MORE !