Censorship Petition

Options
LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
I logged on to Perfect World this morning and was given a rather unexpected surprise. I will admit, that at first it gave me a rather good laugh. But after a couple of minutes, I began to wonder. The "new and improved" filter is a wonderful thing, in theory. But in reality, it is an impediment on everyone's game play. There have been numerous players who have had their names censored because of this "improvement" and are now unable to get the same game play that is available to everyone else. As identified in the Terms of Service, written by the PWE staff (Section 10, sub section H):

"PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct that will impede or disrupt the service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in the interactive ares on the site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees."

Shouldn't the staff be held to this same standard as well? It is impossible now to send a message to any user who has had their name censored. As stated in a different thread: I do agree that public chat should be moderated to a degree; but it should not be done so to such an extent that it impedes on a player's game play, as made evident by the latest patch.

Then there is also the fact that this game was created for an audience of 18 years of age or older, as identified by the Terms of Service, in paragraph 3 of Section 5:

"Notwithstanding the above, certain portions of our website and some of our games may contain mature contents not suitable for anyone younger than 18 years of age. We will require that you confirm that you are 18 years of age or older to access such content. If you enter any portion of the website which is intended for or is marked for mature audiences only, you are certifying that you are at least 18 years old or the applicable age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside and have the legal right to access such content. We shall not be responsible in any way for your failure to accurately confirm your age per the terms hereunder."

I interpret this as PWE is absolving themselves from any responsibility if said user gets offended by mature content.

So I am asking you, the player base, the forum trolls, and the individuals that keep this game running: should the filter be reverted back to what it was before the update released on June 21, 2011?

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the responses found within this thread. This topic was not created with the intention of inciting a forum riot but rather to collect the feedback on this unwanted change in on central location.

So sign here if you want it back the way it was

Terms of Service
Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
Post edited by LadyofReal - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cool, you got it working. :)

I don't know which way to vote yet. :P I think if they had been smart and instead edited things in certain channels it wouldn't be as much as a problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • VeraBlue - Heavens Tear
    VeraBlue - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't think "reverting it back to the way it was" is an option now. Instead, remove it, make it optional, or people find a way to edit it themeslves. Enough of this useless censor garbage. This isn't communist China.
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thank you. I was just having an issue posting the wall of text I had written. But it's all good now.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You're all rumpshakers, but I voted yes anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Oh yea, I like to shake my ***
  • Merenie - Heavens Tear
    Merenie - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    LOL I find it funny that half these words are censored, yet 90% of the female fashion is women's under garments - lmao

Why not censor the fashion too while your at it? lol
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'd honestly love to have a black censorbar outfit.
  • yakko
    yakko Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I never really cared for the filter in the first place...

It should have been optional from the beginning. If they want to say something they just go around the filter anyways. If you have the filter optional they dont have a reason to go around the filter. I say fix it the right way not this stupid ****.
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I personally find the filtering of a good chunk of these words more offensive than the others NOT being filtered... vote mother ****ing yes...

Edit: Can we have a moderator sticky this please? This is a major issue imo.

Edit again: Giving links to the other two relevant threads that are currently running.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1119641

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1119721
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well, here's something that I actually agree with you, LoR.

Now to add the foreign character censorship on that list... b:surrender
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PWI do not like J a p a n more b:sad
  • LittlePony - Dreamweaver
    LittlePony - Dreamweaver Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Wonder why censor changes not in patch notes?
    +1 to revert back.
    The trouble with real life is that there is no danger music.
  • qorr
    qorr Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    server with such rigid limits of censorship can not be called international. it is now impossible to chat clan.
  • paradox666
    paradox666 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So here is the issue/nonsense with you stating/claiming that PWE has violated its own terms of service sense PWE has implemented censorship to specific words/pattern of letters they are by all means legally right to "*******" any and all names or statements they deem to be in violation of their terms of service we as users only have the privilege to us the game as long as we follow their rules we are by no means entitled to anything if you willingly used a combination of words or letters that you knew could and/or would be understood to go against their terms of service you have zero reason to complain about censorship only an irresponsible child would cry foul at this you knew what you where doing you knew it was against their rules now accept your reward like an adult...

"PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct that will impede or disrupt the service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in the interactive ares on the site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees."

yes i am sure there are syntax or spelling errors but that doesnt make my statement any less true...but that doesnt stop trolls so come along lil beasts have at it
  • Ukurok - Dreamweaver
    Ukurok - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Верните русский!
    PWI is still International ??
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The same goes for anyone wanting to complain about mature content being involved in a game that is clearly stated being designed for an audience of a mature age range. I am also well aware of the fact that PWE can change things at their discretion, but my argument, if you actually read what I said, was not that PWE didn't have that right, but rather that the censor has the chance of impacting EVERYONE's game play. So it's not just an issue with a single individual but it risks the chance of impacting hundreds.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    paradox666 wrote: »
    So here is the issue/nonsense with you stating/claiming that PWE has violated its own terms of service sense PWE has implemented censorship to specific words/pattern of letters they are by all means legally right to "*******" any and all names or statements they deem to be in violation of their terms of service we as users only have the privilege to us the game as long as we follow their rules we are by no means entitled to anything if you willingly used a combination of words or letters that you knew could and/or would be understood to go against their terms of service you have zero reason to complain about censorship only an irresponsible child would cry foul at this you knew what you where doing you knew it was against their rules now accept your reward like an adult...

yes i am sure there are syntax or spelling errors but that doesnt make my statement any less true...but that doesnt stop trolls so come along lil beasts have at it

Because Japan, Red Wings (a hockey team), Niger (a country in Africa), the slang term for excuse me, and grasshopper are all such terrible words. How dare you guys try to talk about other countries! How dare you like the detroit red wings! How dare you like to reference fun 80s movies with terms like grasshopper. You're being immature and knew the dirty, dirty, sexual images that comes to people heads when you say these words! No one can honestly talk about Niger without thinking of african american stereotypes and if you don't automatically link this to the racial slur then you sir are a racist!

Seriously, read up on an issue before you make a comment. "It is better to stay quiet and look stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    Верните русский!
    PWI is still International ??

Yes, it's still international. It involves more than one country, with it's primary player base being in North America so Canada, the USA, and Mexico. No, that is not basically the same thing and all three of the countries have their own distinct cultures. So for anyone who wants to make this dumb stereotype (i'm not directing this at you Ukurok) it's not true and only serves to further undermine your point. The people the events best line up with are South America and North America. In addition, the game originated in China. So if they make an international version of their game all the way on the otherside of the Earth, they can still call it international even if it was strictly a part of the USA. You were always supposed to speak English in the forums, in world chat, and with guild and character names. It's always been the rule.

That being said, it is complete and total bs that they are filtering you guys out in guild chat and whisper. How you talk to each other should be your own business and PWI should not be in the business of monitoring our private conversations. I don't mind the foreign character censors in world chat/guild names/character names because a lot of people just used it to get around banned names and it was offensive to everyone who understood. And besides that, those are public names for the entire pwi to see and as such were supposed to be something everyone understood. PWI has also censored nonsenscial words and ENTIRE COUNTRIES. It was stupidly implemented and ruined gameplay for a lot of people. Seriously annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • paradox666
    paradox666 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hmm...try looking up the alternative meaning for those terms then

Seriously, read up on an issue before you make a comment. "It is better to stay quiet and look stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." One rarely follows ones own advice wouldnt you agree? also...Niger..really going with the "But its a country!!" excuse...really?b:surrender i will give you the whole red wings and Japan thing but blame pwe for wanting to use urban dictionary also my comment was for those who willingly bypassed the past word filter knowing the name/word was against the terms of service not for someone who uses a name like Identity and has the last 4 letters censored, unless they used the word for the sole reason of trying to get tity through the filter.. the fact that you couldnt rationalize that shows alot about how narrow your method of thought is...

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your vocabulary, expand your horizons!
    Equivocate:
    1.To be deliberately ambiguous unclear in order to mislead or avoid committing oneself to anything definite...
    Love this bit of your sig its sooo germane to the issue at hand hehehe

on a side note...Derpies, Derpies every where, from me(for bothering to post in an inane thread but heh i was bored) from those like op and armani( not even gona bother explaining) and PWE (for thinking that urban dictionary is a good way to build a black list for a censorship feature)
  • BIaze_ - Heavens Tear
    BIaze_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i call racism white trash is band but black trash isnt, f u pwi
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hmm...try looking up the alternative meaning for those terms then

Seriously, read up on an issue before you make a comment. "It is better to stay quiet and look stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." One rarely follows ones own advice wouldnt you agree? also...Niger..really going with the "But its a country!!" excuse...really?b:surrender i will give you the whole red wings and Japan thing but blame pwe for wanting to use urban dictionary also my comment was for those who willing bypassed the past word filter knowing the name was against the terms of service not for someone who uses a name like Identity and has the last 4 letters censored, unless they used the word for the sole reason of trying to get tity through the filter.. the fact that you couldnt rationalize that shows alot about how narrow your method of thought is...

on a side note...Derpies, Derpies every where, from me(for bothering to post in an inane thread but heh i was bored) from those like op and armani( not even gona bother explaining) and PWE (for thinking that urban dictionary is a good way to build a black list for a censorship feature)

I am half African American, so I know what word they were trying to ban. But at the end of they day I know good people from Niger who went to my school. Who have had hard enough lives without the idea that someone finds the name of their country offensive and blocks it because if you accidentally make a typo you get a racial slur. As for common garden variety words like grasshopper, any countries name including Niger, shouldn't be banned just because some immature idiot on urban dictionary decides to name their stupid sexual exploits after something. I can go in there and make a sordid entry right now using the word paradox and get all of the members of my guild to thumbs it. WIth 200 people thumbing it up, it would be an official entry and your name would be banned. See how that goes?

on a side note...Derpies, Derpies every where, like armani( not even gona bother explaining)

and the reason you can't explain is because your opinion isn't grounded in reason. But you don't want to admit you didn't actually think about what you wrote and just gave the standard "don't break the rules, don't try to bypass the censors," line without even seeing what it was all about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Such a long list
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nipple titty
  • ProtocoI - Harshlands
    ProtocoI - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am half African American, so I know what word they were trying to ban. But at the end of they day I know good people from Niger who went to my school. Who have had hard enough lives without the idea that someone finds the name of their country offensive and blocks it because if you accidentally make a typo you get a racial slur. As for common garden variety words like grasshopper, any countries name including Niger, shouldn't be banned just because some immature idiot on urban dictionary decides to name their stupid sexual exploits after something. I can go in there and make a sordid entry right now using the word paradox and get all of the members of my guild to thumbs it. WIth 200 people thumbing it up, it would be an official entry and your name would be banned. See how that goes?

Niger is a country. If it has "Nigg" with 2 g's then chances are it is an offense racist comment, she's right. And I'm American American fully, and if someone typed out "Niger" as a supposed offense remark I would laugh, tell them to go finish elementary school so they can figure out how to spell at least semi correctly.

She's right, so calm down you probably mainly white (or should I say non black Americans) under the " Omg those words are so offense to the descendants of slaves!" influence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LittlePony - Dreamweaver
    LittlePony - Dreamweaver Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Does any gm or moder \ community manager responded on this thred?
    The trouble with real life is that there is no danger music.
  • Dorset - Heavens Tear
    Dorset - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Because Japan, Red Wings (a hockey team), Niger (a country in Africa), the slang term for excuse me, and grasshopper are all such terrible words. How dare you guys try to talk about other countries! How dare you like the detroit red wings! How dare you like to reference fun 80s movies with terms like grasshopper. You're being immature and knew the dirty, dirty, sexual images that comes to people heads when you say these words! No one can honestly talk about Niger without thinking of african american stereotypes and if you don't automatically link this to the racial slur then you sir are a racist!

BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ****ing hell that made me lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <sig by me

yup guys imma back!

I LOVE making sigs. go to Fanatics section "Dorset's Thread of Interesting Things". u request ill create!
    b:shyI LOVE MY HUBBY my best friend HeartandSoulb:heart
  • Dorset - Heavens Tear
    Dorset - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nipple titty

+......1?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <sig by me

yup guys imma back!

I LOVE making sigs. go to Fanatics section "Dorset's Thread of Interesting Things". u request ill create!
    b:shyI LOVE MY HUBBY my best friend HeartandSoulb:heart
    edited June 2011
    Options
    BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ****ing hell that made me lol

b:chuckleb:chuckle Glad someone got it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Innamorata - Harshlands
    Innamorata - Harshlands Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Indeed, should let people talk about Niger political affairs in WC like they used too. It's an outrage.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Indeed, should let people talk about Niger political affairs in WC like they used too. It's an outrage.

It's not that it comes up often, it's the principle. It makes it seem as though being from their is a dirty or obscene thing and that isn't okay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Innamorata - Harshlands
    Innamorata - Harshlands Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's not that it comes up often, it's the principle. It makes it seem as though being from their is a dirty or obscene thing and that isn't okay.

It's about intent usage and reception. I could tell you that I have a beautiful black **** that you would love but because of common usage and reception you wouldn't get it as "I have a black grouse bird". Of course using the correct context to avoid misinterpretation can be done by us, but not by the game filter.
    As a side information most if not all major MMO's have "Niger" and other such words filtered as well. What others are saying about Japan,etc being filtered I can't comment.

Use common sense rather than brick-walled principles.