Can barb really keep aggro at high lvls?

Huntxman - Sanctuary
Huntxman - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Barbarian
Well today I went on a fb59, there was a 100 cleric and 91 psychic and a buch of others. I can'nt keep aggro off the psychicb:sad . Even though the run was success without any problem, I'm feeling failure as a barb. I had never had problems in holding aggro, even to sins and in BH69.
It was like this, every time i flesh realm the boss the boss hit me 2-4 times(i continuous spaming FR without any gap), then turn and hit the psychic 2 times. It keepon going like this for all bosses.b:surrender I don'nt know how to keep aggro, or is barbs really failing to get aggro, I mean before 89 cultivation by become sage to hold aggro better?

I have maxed FR and also used roar, alpha male, but the boss keep on this, 2-4 hit me then turn to psychic and hit him.

Please waiting for advice from pro-barbs
Post edited by Huntxman - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Nope, you can't hold aggro at higher levels... at least not from sins, aps BMs and psys...

But don't worry... in bh 69 they'll only steal aggro from you once b:sin
  • IBaMBii - Heavens Tear
    IBaMBii - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    i suggest +12 5.0 claw or +10 r9 pure str. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011

This is a bit rediculous, but kinda the right idea...

Did you get a chance to look at the psy's sphere? How refined is your own weapon? What weapon are you using?

The answer to keeping agro isn't simply to spam ream over and over, there are other factors that also come into play. At level 84 Fuzzy would suggest using a set of Thuderdeath Edge's, unless at 85 you plan to get your paws on a PanGu's or Gatherstorm. As well, from 80+ it is usually a good investment to +5 a weapon.

b:victory

edit: Also, once you have started to generate some agro and the boss is paying attention to you, DON'T use Roar as this will reset it.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Huntxman - Sanctuary
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the tips. Now i think i will refine my weapon beyound +3 and see the difference.
    b:thanks
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    This is a bit rediculous, but kinda the right idea...

Did you get a chance to look at the psy's sphere? How refined is your own weapon? What weapon are you using?

The answer to keeping agro isn't simply to spam ream over and over, there are other factors that also come into play. At level 84 Fuzzy would suggest using a set of Thuderdeath Edge's, unless at 85 you plan to get your paws on a PanGu's or Gatherstorm. As well, from 80+ it is usually a good investment to +5 a weapon.

b:victory

edit: Also, once you have started to generate some agro and the boss is paying attention to you, DON'T use Roar as this will reset it.

I'd disgree with Fuzzy's weapon choice and suggest Calamity Axes. The sacrificial strike proc has a chance to drop some huge bombs that may give you the edge in holding aggro. Also, they have excellent vit and hp adds making them great for pulling.

I think level plays some unnamed factor in aggro, too because I've seen high levels with poor DD output out aggro lower levels who were out DDing them. I also remember FCCing with a group of friends and having trouble as an 81 barb keeping aggro off level 88 friends, but then when both at level 88 (my gear hadn't changed) I had no trouble whatsover. I know you get dmg as well as stats per level but it was such so much easier to hold aggro I suspect this is the case.

I also suspect crits apply more aggro than regular attacks, for instance someone does a 70k normal and someone does a 70k crit the person who crit would get the aggro.

As Fuzzy listed, if you lose aggro you can AM (alpha male) or roar. Both reset aggro and add a tiny bit. AM adds almost no aggro, roar adds a considerable amount. If someone does pull aggro it might be on a spark or because of a BMs HF increased their damage so much. Let the spark or HF finish, then use these skills. Also, watch the debuffs. Don't Devour or spam Extreme Poison on your genie if you are having trouble keeping aggro off your party.

Last, if they can tank and they're okay with it, let them. The "I R Tank" barbs get people killed because they can't keep aggro and people that can, like a sin, don't get healed because the barb spams Ream and the cleric heals two people but neither fully. Sins and BMs tank great if they have paint and you devour for them because they get more heals because you debuff the boss and because devour lowers the bosses attack level. This may be more comfortable for the squad because everyone may be damage modifying to compensate for the barb. In fact, I did an old BH69 today on my 100 sin with a barb. After pole the other sin asked "are you going to tank this one too?" Yep. "Cool, then I'll use my real weapon." He was using a pair of level 22 daggers to prevent taking aggro. Then the archer showed they were using a level 43 slingshot for the same reason. I remember pulling aggro off of barbs my own level as an aps bm barehanded, or at level 6x pulling aggro of 102 sage barbs. The general rule for DDs now is keep up your tanking ability with your DD ability. When you allow others to tank that can tank things go quicker and their are less opportunities for things to go wrong. But, still be prepared to pull aggro off for a few seconds if their hp gets low, or build chi incase they die and you need to grab aggro and invoke while the cleric rezs.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Its not just the APS players thats a problem, barbs have problems holding aggro over R8/R9 Archers and Psychics to. That is if the barb have similar gear and refines as the DDs.

With Demon Flesh Ream, strength build and a highly refined axe you can usually keep most of the aggro against the ranged DDs tho, but you have to spam skills. For the APS players than just forget tanking unless you wanna get g15 NV claws, 2 sockets +12.

Might change if Developers boosts the aggro skills as promised.

Its hilarious when nub sins steals aggro in FB69 and goes splat at Pole though, i agree b:chuckle
  • Conalll - Archosaur
    Conalll - Archosaur Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    The whole thing depends on level really. You said you ran with a 91 psy? What level were you at the time? I ask because I'm level 80 right now. I can hold aggro from any sin 10 levels my better. It takes a fair amount of effort, but I can do it. Psys, I'm confident with an 8 level difference. Anything more, and I admit, I'm worried about holding aggro.

Though let's face it. With Psys, we're talking about the class that probably holds the most raw damaging power in the game, with Sins right on their heels. Even at the same level that can be hard to compete with. Add the level difference, and it gets harder.

That said, it can be done. Flesh Ream is essential, but when you need more aggro, don't neglect your others skills. Once you have aggro, that's when you use Devour. It adds to your aggro once you have it. That's how I've kept aggro from high level players. I use Fleash Ream, then Devour, then Flesh Ream again. Roar will reset the aggro, so don't use it AT ALL (unless you need to attract the attention of some mobs nearby as well). Alpha Male... well to be honest, I haven't tried adding it to my efforts in combat, though I doubt it would do much. It's better served as a replacement for Roar should it still be on cooldown. Between aggro skills, use Alacrity, Surf Impact, or Frighten to help regain chi. And of course, keep Bestial Rage going as much as you can.

Keeping your damage up helps A LOT!!! So have the best weapon, sharded with attack stones, refined if you can afford it (which some of us can't FYI). And that needs to be an ax, pole ax, hammer, or pole hammer people. Not fists. You need your aggro skills to hold aggro.

I'll skip my opinion on the proper stat build for now.

The rest is up to the DD's. If you're doing the best you can, they need to tone themselves down just a little, unless they feel like tanking instead.

Though I don't deny, there are more than enough barbs that just simply suck. I've run with a couple myself. (I.E. I have a two level advantage, and I take aggro in human form. Oiy!) In those cases, I'm right there with you.

Good hunting to you.
    "Impatience walks with disaster." My own phrase.

"Let the winds of winter come. I fear not famine, nor blizzard, nor an army of predators. For I am wolf. My power is matched by the many that stand beside me. Come what may. I have faced it before, and it has yet to touch me." *The Alpha's Warning*
  • Caydon - Heavens Tear
    Caydon - Heavens Tear Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Sorry to say, it's really hard for a tank build barb to hold aggro when it comes ot end game characters, especially with sins, fist bms, and psychics. It's just really hard.

I've a level 94 barb and sometimes, when I party 95-100 sins, bms, archers for PV or FF, I know I'm going to lose aggro, it's just the way it is.

The only way a barb can HOLD aggro, is to go aps, with a claw or to go R9. R9 is expensive while fist barb is just not what a barb is supposed to do.

Therefore, you see why barbs are so rare now. They all either quit their barbs nearing endgame to play something else. I started this mystic cause I felt spent on my barb. My gears and weapons are pretty awesome, but losing aggro all the time at endgame is really tiring. And pretty depressing.

I'm a ladybarb so someetimes, it really gets to me. Hopefully this mystic doesn't have rotten luck as it approaches end game.
    Cleric (shelved), barb (shelved), BM (shelved), mystic, veno.

Mystic or veno, mystic or veno?
  • Huntxman - Sanctuary
    edited June 2011
    So I read all your advice. And some fact with what Conall said, I was lvl83 when i went on that fb59. The psychic was 91 and demon.
    So vit barbs, even when they become sages suck at keeping aggro?(I say this because, I heared from some sage barbs,that they can hold aggro even upto 3.4 aps sins. b:surrender And I am bit confused here, I thought demon barb do more damage, so he should be better in holding aggro)
    My barb build was i distributed 3str, 1vit, 1 dex. And when I reached Dex 60, I stopped putting stat on Dex and now distributing as 3 str and 2 vit. My current lvl is 84, and planning to get Pan Gu at 85.

Should I put some more points on str to make my barb some more powerful?b:chuckle
  • Conalll - Archosaur
    edited June 2011
    So I read all your advice. And some fact with what Conall said, I was lvl83 when i went on that fb59. The psychic was 91 and demon.
    So vit barbs, even when they become sages suck at keeping aggro?(I say this because, I heared from some sage barbs,that they can hold aggro even upto 3.4 aps sins. b:surrender And I am bit confused here, I thought demon barb do more damage, so he should be better in holding aggro)
    My barb build was i distributed 3str, 1vit, 1 dex. And when I reached Dex 60, I stopped putting stat on Dex and now distributing as 3 str and 2 vit. My current lvl is 84, and planning to get Pan Gu at 85.

Should I put some more points on str to make my barb some more powerful?b:chuckle

I think your stat build is fine. You don't want to go overboard with your stats. 3 str each level is plenty. Any more str needs to come from your gear. Mind you that's my own personal opinion, and that varies very heavily. As for your run, I'm not surprised you lost aggro. That's a pretty big gap to cover.

The only real advantage of demon over sage for barbs is demon has a higher crit rate (+9%), and dose full damage in tiger form. Sage has far better def and HP though, plus better regular damage in human form (Sorry demon barbs, checked it out. It's true.)

I suspect that sage barb is one of the very rare ones that knows their job well, and does it well. Demon does not automatically mean better aggro ability. Just the differences I mentioned above.

Good hunting to you.

"Let the winds of winter come. I fear not famine, nor blizzard, nor an army of predators. For I am wolf. My power is matched by the many that stand beside me. Come what may. I have faced it before, and it has yet to touch me." *The Alpha's Warning*
  • Potzi - Lost City
    Potzi - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2011

i really doubt this as i take aggro from average lv 100 barbs when doing frost or TT. And im only 2.5 aps sparked so i find it hard to believe a barb can hold aggro against a 3.33 sin (no such thing as 3.4) unless the sin wasn't sparking and the barb was and had good gear/refines

And it's normal for barbs to start losing aggro after 80+ to sins but not psys unless they're a much higher level (that's what happened to you on your fb59). 100+ archers or psychic with r8 or r9 WILL BE taking aggro
  • PK_BARB - Lost City
    PK_BARB - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2011

Agreed b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I'm watching
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I ask because I'm level 80 right now. I can hold aggro from any sin 10 levels my better. It takes a fair amount of effort, but I can do it. Psys, I'm confident with an 8 level difference. Anything more, and I admit, I'm worried about holding aggro.

Sorry, but I doubt you can... I consider myself a good Tank, and no matter how much I try I can't hold aggro from a 90+ sin. ( When they spark bye-bye aggro)
  • Conalll - Archosaur
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, but I doubt you can... I consider myself a good Tank, and no matter how much I try I can't hold aggro from a 90+ sin. ( When they spark bye-bye aggro)

Well, I have. Repeatedly. Though my Chi takes a hit doing it, (man I can't wait for a third spark), I've yet to lose aggro to a sin 90 or less. 91+, now I have problems.

If you don't believe me, just ask SinStalker on Archosaur. He's a member of Polo just like I am. He's seen my tanking skills in action. He's a 91 sin, and I've held aggro from him on several TT runs. Not always of course, but often.

• Klarran - Heavens Tear
    Klarran - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    as u can see in my character image im a lvl 91 barb, i have hold aggro to a lot of higher characters than me, like today, i was holding aggro against a 3.33 sin, 4.0 bm and a r8 archer, it may be hard to believe, it was true, but how did i do it? well im using atm the star axes (TT90), they take off 5% of my mana but gives me a lot of atack and that combined with flesh ream like a crazy its a god damn good combo, and thats all what u really have to do, also whenever i can i sage spark and with that spark the gloom effect of the axes comes in and OH YEAH baby, the aggro hold even more, also i always save roar, when i c the boss turns to some1 to atack i quickly press it and the aggro returns to me, so its not about how high lvl u r, its about how good ur tanking skills r :3 b:victory
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    spamming ream i can keep aggro up to about 3.33 aps depending on their refines.

i cannot keep aggro from any rank 9 weapon refined or otherwise
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Karjala__ - Sanctuary
    Karjala__ - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well, I have. Repeatedly. Though my Chi takes a hit doing it, (man I can't wait for a third spark), I've yet to lose aggro to a sin 90 or less. 91+, now I have problems.

If you don't believe me, just ask SinStalker on Archosaur. He's a member of Polo just like I am. He's seen my tanking skills in action. He's a 91 sin, and I've held aggro from him on several TT runs. Not always of course, but often.

Ofcourse you can keep agro off 90+ sin if they dont have - int gear, or they dont have Jones blessing or maybe using Chill of the deep
  • imstone
    imstone Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    In later game after lvl 89 forget it u will never hold agro unless u end up with r9 and + the heck out of your weapon and even worse if u go sage, I have a 101 sage barb, 102 bm, 99 sin all with nice gear and let me tell u as soon as mele get demon 3 spark and -init gear it's over u just can't keep up and people have been begging forever for this to be adjusted.

This is why almost every barb u see around today is stat for decides/TT100 fist if your not doing 3.33 or better aps forget about tanking if u get a team it's cause they want your buffs and god help u try to use flesh ream cause all u are doing if resetting the bosses cast and getting the team wiped, alternative is now to go fist and use genie skill earthquake to cancel the boss casts instead.
  • kreslin
    kreslin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    as u can see in my character image im a lvl 91 barb, i have hold aggro to a lot of higher characters than me, like today, i was holding aggro against a 3.33 sin, 4.0 bm and a r8 archer, it may be hard to believe, it was true, but how did i do it? well im using atm the star axes (TT90), they take off 5% of my mana but gives me a lot of atack and that combined with flesh ream like a crazy its a god damn good combo, and thats all what u really have to do, also whenever i can i sage spark and with that spark the gloom effect of the axes comes in and OH YEAH baby, the aggro hold even more, also i always save roar, when i c the boss turns to some1 to atack i quickly press it and the aggro returns to me, so its not about how high lvl u r, its about how good ur tanking skills r :3 b:victory

Tell me. Is your weapon refined? and how much? Just wandering. =)
  • GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary
    GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well as a barb it is possible to keep aggro from most classes at high lvls even wihtout claws with the exception for 5.0 zerk sins/ 4.0 GoF sins. It is expensive though, U will need high refines+ zerk weapons (best choice r9 pole axe). I know cause i have done it wtin my r9 +10 pole axe.
    In nirvana or even at bhs I put my interval gear on + my GoF axes i spark + wind shield on boss. When i do this i hit the boss at 1.54 aps and cause of the GoF i zerk crazy hence i can keep aggro even from msot 4.0 sins. A demon barb would actually do even more damage than me cause With demon spark they could get 2.0 with pole axes. I did recommend it if u could afford the refines+ aps gear + weapon :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IBaMBii - Heavens Tear
    IBaMBii - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    the power of CSing r9............................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary
    GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well...dont really have to CS for r9.. atleast not if ur just goin for weapon...
    All u need is some merchenting skills and be willing to farm lots lol.... thats how i got most for mineb:victoryb:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pannelo - Heavens Tear
    Pannelo - Heavens Tear Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Guys, could I get a little advice on this thread about holding agro too please?

I have a new Barb that is only lvl 70 at the moment. I havn't had any issues with agro so far but now I have started the BH59's I was wondering about tanking in here.

So far I still try and tank the same way, taking agro from all mobe however there are a lot of magic mobs in there and I obviously take a lot of damage. I have full TT70 armour and TT70 Weapon (can't remember the name.)

Should I be trying to tank all mobs in here or am I better taking a back seat to a caster? If I should be tanking is there anything else I can do to take less magic damage?

I'm a little worried about playing tank upto 100 as everyone always tells it's a broken class (with 5aps.) Everyone moans that there are no barbs but if it is a broken class then it explains why. Are there any plans to fix Barb or "fix" aps?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Lag? What lag?
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Guys, could I get a little advice on this thread about holding agro too please?

I have a new Barb that is only lvl 70 at the moment. I havn't had any issues with agro so far but now I have started the BH59's I was wondering about tanking in here. BH59 is the same thing as always except like you pointed out, magic mobs and runners. Also alot have damage over time. Use Alacracity of the Beast for its paralyze effect or if need to pop human form and Mighty Swing stun them. Both have a 50% chance of working. Because of the abundance of runners and magic mobs ranged squadmates tend to end up tanking a bit more and thats fine since they take much less dmg. My cleric ended up doing alot of the tanking in there. Also, if an AA class wants to volunteer to tank the boss, even better. They have 1/4 the hp but take 1/10 the dmg.

So far I still try and tank the same way, taking agro from all mobe however there are a lot of magic mobs in there and I obviously take a lot of damage. I have full TT70 armour and TT70 Weapon (can't remember the name.)
    Get magic ornies and Cape of Tauran's Chieftain for the magic def.

Should I be trying to tank all mobs in here or am I better taking a back seat to a caster? If I should be tanking is there anything else I can do to take less magic damage?
    Offer to let them tank while you use Frighten and debuff the boss, but expect to tank anyways. Even though I've seen 1800 hp tank just fine in there, AA classes are still afraid of taking dmg. Also, avoid clerics that want to bb on bosses like Drake and Ofo who stack fire dmg. Don't let them, tell them you'll need the purify.

I'm a little worried about playing tank upto 100 as everyone always tells it's a broken class (with 5aps.) Everyone moans that there are no barbs but if it is a broken class then it explains why. Are there any plans to fix Barb or "fix" aps?
    Barbs only start breaking in the 80s during BH 69 bosses. Bosses in TT and FCC are [?] bosses and experience reduced dmg of about 1/6 so aggro skills are effective on them till 90+. Honestly, the best way to still be a tank is to go aps yourself endgame. Don't do it till 99+ but at least then you'll be useful. For PvE there really is no reason not to go aps. 15k hp is all you need to tank anything in game, 20k comfortably, and alot of barbs have 15k hp by level 90.

As for aggro being fixed there are constantly rumors that its being tweaked soon but it never comes about. Theoretically they tweaked Seeker skill aggro last patch just didn't post it, but it was in the Chinese patch notes. In my opinion, the best attitude is if someone can afford 4+ aps for attacking, they better balance their gear and be able to tank too. And most can, allowing you to at least be useful for pulls and then debuffing bosses defense and lower its attack levels so others can tank.

This probably deserves its own thread rather than hijacking this one, but answers are in red.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Pannelo - Heavens Tear
    Pannelo - Heavens Tear Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much, very helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Lag? What lag?
  • mcfreakie
    mcfreakie Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    My biggest issue when people talk about groups and Barbs holding aggro... Why would any DD spark with all out damage if they are higher level then the tank? The bigger issue comes with DD trying to pull from the tank like its a measure who has the biggest tool. All of the groups I have been successful as a Barb, the group has all worked together as a team to achieve the goal. In EVERY failing group there has been at least one DD who thinks the objective is to solo and thinks the healer will just cover them.

The old school rule still remains LAW: If the cleric dies its the tanks fault. If the tank dies it is the clerics fault. If a DD dies... What were you thinking? Anyone in a GROUP fails to follow that rule will end in roadkill.

I have to agree with the other barbs... nothing as thrilling as watching a sin or archer die in 69 when they think they should tank.
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    mcfreakie wrote: »
    My biggest issue when people talk about groups and Barbs holding aggro... Why would any DD spark with all out damage if they are higher level then the tank?

Simple enough answer. Blood paint buff. The more damage you do, the more you heal. Of course this is presuming the DD doing the sparking has enough HP and/or defense to avoid getting one/two shotted (in which case, blood paint can't help you). But you will find that at end game (100+) many people who eventually attain 4-5 aps typically also spend a bit of coin on refining there gear as well.
    The bigger issue comes with DD trying to pull from the tank like its a measure who has the biggest tool. All of the groups I have been successful as a Barb, the group has all worked together as a team to achieve the goal. In EVERY failing group there has been at least one DD who thinks the objective is to solo and thinks the healer will just cover them.

This is all well, good and relevant from mid levels up to the 90s. But then after that you have Sins who can knock a couple million hit points off a Boss before their demon spark runs out. So basically if the "team" goal is to kill that boss then objective achieved, no ?

And to achieve that goal obviously means pulling aggro from whatever Barb may be in the squad in the first place.
    The old school rule still remains LAW: If the cleric dies its the tanks fault. If the tank dies it is the clerics fault. If a DD dies... What were you thinking? Anyone in a GROUP fails to follow that rule will end in roadkill.

Sure, I can accept that. But you should also make it clear to any and all aspiring Barbs out there that the school bell rings at 100+. After that its either go claw or gtfo.

I have to agree with the other barbs... nothing as thrilling as watching a sin or archer die in 69 when they think they should tank.

We agree here. Only an idiot lvl 80s sin or archer would try pulling aggro on polearm and the end result usually isn't very pretty. :-)
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    mcfreakie wrote: »

that "law" is completely absurd. i play both cleric and barb

clerics can very easily die on their own accord as can barbs, as well rather any sqaud member.

most of the time if they cleric dies its THEIR fault. A cleric's TOP priority is to keep THEMSELF alive in what ever way possible. if that means they have to let the tank or any other member die so be it. Cleric are squishy (for the most part) and while you always try to keep everyone alive. its is certainly necessary at times to let people die to save the squad.

the mystic res buff really help with that matter but still.
    the cleric needs to learn who they can and cant save. and if its too close to tell whether or not to risk it. if they person cant be saved and trying so would get yourself killed. your job is to let them die. so as to be able to res them instead of cause an entire squad wipe becuase you as the cleric died. its not being selfish its them doing thier job.

it also works the other way at times, all be it more far less frequently. if the cleric does something stupid and you KNOW they wont survive and you cant save them let them die. this is rarely the case at high levels and pretty much non existent at lvl 10 or 11 res but with hypers lvling so easy now its becoming more common for people to not know how to play their class as well as they probably should
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • mcfreakie
    mcfreakie Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    that "law" is completely absurd. i play both cleric and barb

its becoming more common for people to not know how to play their class as well as they probably should

The bigger picture was missed. First of all the tank should always know what mob might be attacking the cleric. The cleric should stay focused on their health I agree but their main goal is to keep the tank alive who will protect them. Its all part of TEAM WORK which you totally missed by this law. The law works because it means in a group people WORK as a TEAM and not individuals. Of course there are different occasions in which this is absurd. The entire END of the law you failed to even see.... As a DD... if you arent doing YOUR job to maintain accurate in control damage with in the range of the group... WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? As pointed out above there are plenty of times the DD is just way too strong and the tank has to just give up because the cleric can NOT effectively heal both.

As far as the GOAL should always be to kill every boss and any mobs in the way of getting to the end of the instance WITH NO ONE DYING. Having a DD who wants to solo or thinks the instance is a pissing contest is a FAILURE to the group. A tank cant do their job with a soloist DD. A cleric cant heal the tank to achieve the goal if the DD is wanting to take the aggro and take on damage. Anyone who does NOT want to follow this law should stick to doing PVP or doing solo work as many of the higher DD end up doing. They end up just running lower level groups being the big bad DD who can tank a 59 or 69. Its all EGO.

As long as PWI developers get a hard on each time they design DD to tank they are failing at developing strong classes who can take part in core groups. And as people have said... until PWI steps up to the issue of keeping Barbs competitive 90+, many people playing barbs will continue to stop playing them.
  • QueenOfNukes - Heavens Tear
    QueenOfNukes - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    With the introduction of the concept of "aggro ping pong", you can tell that barbs will lose aggro at higher levels. Unless they've got +10 refines and are an APS claw build.
    "Beware of the Queen, she'll nuke our heads off if we don't listen to her. b:surrender" - Devereaux

QueenOfNukes was created on 16th June 2011.