vortex MP glitch?

Olivassin - Heavens Tear
Olivassin - Heavens Tear Posts: 360 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Seeker
I just got my seeker to lvl 60, got vortex and went zhen :3

My seeker was charmed, with 1399 mana pool. Eventhough, she got her vortex interrupted bc of mana. But i noticed, that as soon as the mana reaches ~500 before the charm ticking, it gets interrupted.
The skill description says "Drains 289.1 Mana every 1.5 seconds", so why does it get interrupted?

if we do some math, it shows that with only a charm would be enough:
289.1 / 1.5 = 126 MP / sec
Charm cooldown: 5 sec -> 126 * 5 = 630, we can add 1 second bc of the lag?, then 126 * 6 = 756

Then, with 756 mana pool it should be enough to keep vortex up with a charm. My seeker has almost the double and gets vortex interrupted [unless i use Divine honor pots, that's what i did for that zhen session]

Its a known reported glitch? or maybe i fail at maths? o.o

PD: i'm sry if this has been somewhere before here in forums, i tried searching but found nothing but ppl asking how to keep it up and ppl repplying "use MP pots"
Post edited by Olivassin - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Randamu - Harshlands
    Randamu - Harshlands Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure but I think that vortex drains mana the way that it deals damage: every 3 seconds. And it calculates if you have enough mana prematurely... that is, before the next drain of mana it checks how much u have and if you have less than 867 (3 * 289) it will cancel channeling.
  • Olivassin - Heavens Tear
    Olivassin - Heavens Tear Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Mhh might be, but then the skill description is wrong, since it says that the period its 1.5 seconds, not 3.
    if you have less than 867 (3 * 289) it will cancel channeling.

and wrong :O it's 2 * 289 = 578, since 3/1.5 = 2
    and yup, that would explain why if my mana gets to ~500, it interrupts it

anyway, it's glitched. Either put "every 3 seconds" on the description, or make it actually drain mana every 1.5 seconds :o
  • Blaydewind - Raging Tide
    Blaydewind - Raging Tide Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I believe vortex accounts for iterations of 3 seconds when draining mana (at least it is implied as damage is dealt), so let's put this into mana per second.

Level 1 vortex drains 289.1 mana per 1.5 seconds. To get the full 3 second iteration, we count two drain periods of vortex, first:

289.1 drain * 2 periods = 578.2 mana drained in 3 seconds

578.2 mana / 3 seconds = ~192.73 mana drained per second (or attack)

Using your 6 second rule of allowance:

192.73 mana * 6 seconds on charm cooldown = ~1,159.38 mana drained in 6 seconds

I would guess the description seems incorrect by stating every 1.5 seconds, but as far as I know, many of the skills are calculated when iterations are whole numbers. Maybe someone on the development team didn't feel like calculating by the extra .5 per second b:chuckle. The skill also says it will stop when you run out of chi b:shocked.

EDIT:

By the way, I have never experimented with vortex with a mana charm in my 60s, since I wanted to wait for herbs at 75. My post here is just a guess :P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Ohh yeh 1.5 seconds... I thought per 1 second meh.
  • Tomoe_ - Sanctuary
    Tomoe_ - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    off topic but kinda related: i noticed too that every 3 secs instead of hitting the mob twice, it appears that 3 damage logs pop up.. does that mean it hits every sec? >.>
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    off topic but kinda related: i noticed too that every 3 secs instead of hitting the mob twice, it appears that 3 damage logs pop up.. does that mean it hits every sec? >.>

Im gonna assume that the data server side is just sending the info client side at the same time it send the Mana consumed data. But the description says its a constant damage, so not to clear, just based on assumptions.
    re
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    This sounds alot like the difficulties archers have keeping up barrage. At no point during casting can your MP fall below what the skill requires for the next cast.

With a 1.5s iteration it means you can have 3 iterations of the skill in the 5 second window which must leave your MP at above 289.1... which means your minimum MP should be 1156.4 so you should have been fine.

Now if Randamu is right about the iteration being a more standard 3seconds:
    You can have 2 iterations of the skill in the 5 second charm cooldown which must leave you with at least 578.2MP.

This gives you a minimum MP of 1734.6 to keep up a lvl 1 vortex.
    At level 11 you would need 2610 MP to keep up vortex with a charm.

If you are going to be relying only on MP charm you might want to get an MP hat or maybe something similar to what I use: http://i.imgur.com/CYL9H.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    ^ that helps a lot :) thanks Ast.
    I'm just wondering, would one be able to keep up vortex using either apoth mp-pots or the lvl 75 mp food without a charm? If yes, how much mp would be needed..?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    ^ that helps a lot :) thanks Ast.
    I'm just wondering, would one be able to keep up vortex using either apoth mp-pots or the lvl 75 mp food without a charm? If yes, how much mp would be needed..?

The 75 herbs are all you need. You won't need a charm at all they are more than enough.
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Yep, MP food is really all ya need. The charm I have as backup in case I miss a button mash or so. But hot dayum do EGs use alot of pots.
    edited June 2011
    Thanks very much ^-^
    And omg yes so much pots I already use... I sometimes really wonder if the cleric and psy I usually do bh's with use as much pots as I do... b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blaydewind - Raging Tide
    Blaydewind - Raging Tide Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Thanks very much ^-^
    And omg yes so much pots I already use... I sometimes really wonder if the cleric and psy I usually do bh's with use as much pots as I do... b:sweat

Earthguards use more mp than the other races, I believe. As someone with a cleric alt, clerics (at least high mag ones) don't have to mash the mp food button instantly to keep bb up. Sometimes when I play my cleric I hit mp food right away after putting up bb b:embarrass, realizing that I'm not playing my seeker. Clerics can hold up bb for quite some time before needing to eat mp food, which is probably due to their really large mana pool and slower consumption rate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Earthguards use more mp than the other races, I believe. As someone with a cleric alt, clerics (at least high mag ones) don't have to mash the mp food button instantly to keep bb up. Sometimes when I play my cleric I hit mp food right away after putting up bb b:embarrass, realizing that I'm not playing my seeker. Clerics can hold up bb for quite some time before needing to eat mp food, which is probably due to their really large mana pool and slower consumption rate.

BB costs 500 mana every 5 seconds (100/second).
    Vortext sits at like 450 every 1,5 seconds XD

And same on my wizzy, with my mana pool I can leave DB running for like 3 minutes (gues, I didn't time it, could even be more) before I run out of mana
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
    edited June 2011
    hm I can keep vortex up a bit longer now due to the apoth pots that recover 9k mana in 30 seconds... xD (and no it's not a waste since I'm lvling my apoth on veno anyway)
    Already scouting the ah for mana shards for in my cape... ._."

and good to know it isn't just me consuming pots like an addict b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chrisalys - Dreamweaver
    Chrisalys - Dreamweaver Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well looks like Yathagan vortex is affected by APS.
    I must try it out wielding dual swords, to see if it will hit less often if something will change on mp costs.

But at all, looks like yathagan really consumes what it says to do, i used 9k mp in 30s pill and it looked like really spending exactly what said in description. Though, my Vortex also cancels by 600 mp :\
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" - Dracula
    edited June 2011
    Well looks like Yathagan vortex is affected by APS.

No it's not
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    edited June 2011
    I can't even tell if that was a troll post or not lol. Can you imagine, vortex affected by APS o.o
    edited June 2011
    I can't even tell if that was a troll post or not lol. Can you imagine, vortex affected by APS o.o

There's been alot of questions wether or not BoA was affected by APS, or BB or DB by channeling gear. The question is completly logical.

But to just say it IS affected by APS.
    Than your either noob, or a troll
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    edited June 2011
    Ah, gotcha. Not having a wiz, cleric or archer I've not come across that debate.

And I think she's not making that statement...seems a bit of a language issue there. (Perhaps ESL?)
  • Chrisalys - Dreamweaver
    Chrisalys - Dreamweaver Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    There's been alot of questions wether or not BoA was affected by APS, or BB or DB by channeling gear. The question is completly logical.

But to just say it IS affected by APS.
    Than your either noob, or a troll

I said It "Looks" to be affected.

Description says it attacks once every 1.5s, but the numbers on screen raises as often as the auto-attack from 1.11 aps. Thats why I say it "LOOKS" to be affected.

Hitting once every 1.5s, would be like 0.66 aps and seems like my vortex hits much more faster than a barbarian's auto-attack @ 0.83.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" - Dracula
  • RawrGummy - Dreamweaver
    RawrGummy - Dreamweaver Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I said It "Looks" to be affected.

Description says it attacks once every 1.5s, but the numbers on screen raises as often as the auto-attack from 1.11 aps. Thats why I say it "LOOKS" to be affected.

Hitting once every 1.5s, would be like 0.66 aps and seems like my vortex hits much more faster than a barbarian's auto-attack @ 0.83.

Vortex is weird. Granted I haven't gotten to the point where I can keep vortex up longer than maybe 10-15 seconds, but to me it looks like the damage pop-ups have a delay at the beginning for a few seconds, then try to catch up to where you're at, then delay again, and try to catch up again...etc etc.

At least that's how it looks to me. Might just be my laggy computer. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Go Gummy, It's your birthday~
  • zizoun
    zizoun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    This sounds alot like the difficulties archers have keeping up barrage. At no point during casting can your MP fall below what the skill requires for the next cast.

With a 1.5s iteration it means you can have 3 iterations of the skill in the 5 second window which must leave your MP at above 289.1... which means your minimum MP should be 1156.4 so you should have been fine.

Now if Randamu is right about the iteration being a more standard 3seconds:
    You can have 2 iterations of the skill in the 5 second charm cooldown which must leave you with at least 578.2MP.

This gives you a minimum MP of 1734.6 to keep up a lvl 1 vortex.
    At level 11 you would need 2610 MP to keep up vortex with a charm.

If you are going to be relying only on MP charm you might want to get an MP hat or maybe something similar to what I use: http://i.imgur.com/CYL9H.png

hmmm I have vortex lvl 11 and 2469 mana and I keep it up charmed easily without dropping...
    For level one vortex you need around 1700 mana, that's true.
  • Vesemr - Sanctuary
    Vesemr - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    If you haven't got enough MP to keep vortex up while using mp charm... wait for 75 and start use herb Yanxiao + charm.
    It's working for me very well.. Of course putting vortex up at boss and go afk for 2min with only charm on would be nice (especially in TT..) but it's not a problem for me.
    Atm got around 1800 mp + 10lvl vortex.. dropped only once (interrupted).

And yea i know my method is more expensive but if you don't wanna put Turquoise Shards into armor or spare some points into magic(or get tome with +mag) or.. get gear with mag.. I think using herbs still working good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Safeng, thanks for syg <3

Look how I care, that you don't like my English ,,|,,
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3