Laptop Graphics

Lucemferre - Archosaur
Lucemferre - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Support Desk
I am looking to buy a laptop in the $300-$400 range that can play PWI with decent graphics. Most laptops have integrated graphics, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. I don't expect AMAZING graphics, just maybe textures/ terrain and the basics. Does anyone have a suggestion on a laptop or anything to help me figure out what to look for?
Post edited by Lucemferre - Archosaur on

Comments

• Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I've got an old Compaq f730 that's got an Nvidia 9600 mobile in it with 256m shared ram. It's perfectly playable, but I have to have most settings turned down.

Really, for $3-400 you're not going to be able to play with decent graphics. You're going to have to live with all the settings in the low end and will need to watch the heat levels on the GPU.

HERE is about the minimum that I would recommend. Although even with that I'm not sure about the graphics.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • Lucemferre - Archosaur
    Lucemferre - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I've got an old Compaq f730 that's got an Nvidia 9600 mobile in it with 256m shared ram. It's perfectly playable, but I have to have most settings turned down.

Like I said, I'm not expecting any amazing graphics; however, with my current desktop computer integrated graphics, fashion colors are glitched and characters are not always displayed properly. b:surrender Especially for customizations such as makeup on girls, or lip color. I am aware it is a low price, but i mostly just want graphics that will not give me errors like that, or will support PWI's basics. The laptop you recommended is a possibility. b:cute I know desktop computers are generally cheaper than laptops and may have better integrated graphics.. Any recommendations on those also? Or at least some guideline to go by when looking at the graphics card type - the PW download specs tell you cards you COULD use, but do not really explain why they are good enough.
  • Hellies - Harshlands
    Hellies - Harshlands Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Just look at the laptop graphics card in the specs. If it has an nVidia graphics card GeFroce 6 or higher chances are it will run PWI just fine.

I can run PWI even on maxed settings (outside Archosaur and TWs) on an old Tecra M3 laptop (it only has a GeForce 6600 card Dox optimised drivers). Of course 2GB RAM and a fast HDD helps with that too.