Why do veno's use Souldegen first THEN right after amp?

Options
_Alcmena_ - Sanctuary
_Alcmena_ - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Venomancer
I've seen this so many times and I want to know why? The skills cancel each other out even high lvl veno's do it. I don't get it? Why waste? If there's something that tehse two skills do together i'd like do know so I don't go gettin pissed off at lvl 100+'s that soul degen and then amp. b:angry
Post edited by _Alcmena_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Sage Soul Degen reduces the exp and its normal regen...Amp overrides the original "regen" of the Sage Soul Degen and well adds extra damage to the boss.

Reduction of Hp + Amp'd damage = Win o.o

The "one curse affect" applies to the original intention of the skill, not the Sage/Demon bonus.

(Does that make sense? I am still drinking my coffee b:chuckleb:surrender)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • _Alcmena_ - Sanctuary
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah but then what if this veno is demon? I get confused b:surrender Lol i'm still learning things ^_~
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RedsRose has it right. sage soul degen (and only the sage version, if they don't have that, this maneuver is pointless and silly) reduces the target's total HP by 20%, which is an instant 20% damage hit. amp then removes the no-hp-regeneration debuff, but since amp doesn't heal back the lost HP, no matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah but then what if this veno is demon? I get confused b:surrender Lol i'm still learning things ^_~

If demon there really is no point in using Soul Degen Demon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    the demon is probably using crush vigor before amp, for the change of getting a spark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Alcmena_ - Sanctuary
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Oh okay thank you all for clearing up some confusion! b:pleased Much appreciated b:laugh
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Frankly, the ONLY use I get out of soul degen is the HP debuff part; so yes, I overwrite it with amp immediately.

I've never seen a demon use soul degen; though I believe there are a couple of bosses that the 'do not regain hp' debuff is worth having between amps, I don't know of any where you'd rather have that than the amp effect. (On ampable bosses, obviously)

So anyway yeah - yes, we're overwriting the "Do not regain hitpoints" curse, and no, we really don't care, because that curse sucks compared to amplify damage.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    And I've seen Venomancers use Amplify Damage first and then Soul Degeneration..... probably they read/heard somewhere it's good to use both but never looked at the description to realise they cancel each other.

I've never really used Soul Degeneration. I know at certain bosses it would be useful between Amplify Damage but the Demon version is 26 seconds, the cooldown is 30 seconds so there's not much time during which there is no Amplify Damage on.

And indeed, I open with Crush Vigor to gain a spark the times I don't have any. Besides, people usually take a couple of seconds during sparking so my Amplify Damage falls in time, anyway. I'm loving Demon Crush Vigor now!
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear
    IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The veno has got to be dumb imo. The only time I ever use soul degen is maybe when I'm solo purging ape in 2-x, cause I'll be in fox all the time debuffing as much as I can, so between the purge and amp, I'll use soul degen like 1 second before amp wears off, and amp as soon as cooldown is done.

Though as soon as I learn the crush vigor my veno currently has in bank, I will stop using soul degen at all. Until then, demon lending hand has been my spark machine. The cooldown reduction is just awesome too.
    My sig is gone cus lol b:bye