Is leveling soul shatter worth it?

Options
Rexoniel - Sanctuary
Rexoniel - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Seeker
I'd like to know if leveling soul shatter is worth it because last I heard it wasn't working. I'm not sure if its because of its short duration so whoever tested it didn't notice or it really doesn't function at all. For whichever case, I hope it does work the way its suppose to because the price to level it is pretty hefty. Its the same price as leveling Edged blur and Yataghan Vortex which I think is a little unfair seeing as: A) We can't use it for ourselves since we dont have fire or earth elemental damage and B) Its basically only useful to wizards and psychics and more often than not, you can get most things done without either in a squad.

And ever since the expansion I've never really heard a need for Soul shatter and mind shatter from other people unlike say people asking you to heaven flame as a bm. I mean I understand HF is useful to the whole squad where as these debuffs are only beneficial to the casters but still...are the effects so neglible or what? I've leveled Mind Shatter to level 5. Supposedly by then it gives water and wood attacks 20% more chance to crit. So while I was in a bh79, the wizard with us kept getting killed from stealing agro. Granted, it was a blademaster tanking and not a barbarian so I don't know if the wizard would agro with or without the debuff but it isn't hard to steal agro from barbs either sometimes so it would be inconvient if the skills do more harm than good.

Also I'd like to know if Edged blur is good to max. It seems like just double sparking would give more damage to a single target, and vortex deals so much more damage. Maybe something like 3-5 times its output in 12 seconds, but there has to be some uses to it right? Like for pvp or saving mana? Any opinion on these skills would be appreciated since they're so expensive spirit points wise.
Post edited by Rexoniel - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Blaydewind - Raging Tide
    Blaydewind - Raging Tide Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If anything, soul shatter is a bit too situational for its use (for the reasons you mentioned), so it's not one I would max -- at least until you have spare coin/spirit after getting your more important skills out of the way. Magic classes can usually steal aggro from non-APS/barb classes quite easily with or without the debuff.

Edged blur is a skill that I think is intended for PvP (I don't PvP, so don't quote me on this) to help keep HA classes at a distance. Having it at least level 1, however, is another option to AoE status mark nearby targets via stance buffs. In PvE, it is weak and impractical compared to vortex. In my opinion, it's a waste of two sparks when you could do more powerful effects like vortex or triple spark for better damage. If you've played with other classes that have skills that only have one add-on bonus for damage (BM's Tiger Maw, for example), the base damage is usually fine without the bonus. The only reason to level skills like these are if they have some additional advantage (Battousai has additional range, for example). Leveling edged blur only gives it a bit more add-on damage. The sage/demon version have additional perks that add range or an extra iteration, but I don't find the skill useful with better options for PvE damage dealing strategies. Some will argue that the skill can deal damage while you're immobilized, but being immobilized only lasts for such a short time that I think edged blur is insignificant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'd like to know if leveling soul shatter is worth it because last I heard it wasn't working. I'm not sure if its because of its short duration so whoever tested it didn't notice or it really doesn't function at all. For whichever case, I hope it does work the way its suppose to because the price to level it is pretty hefty. Its the same price as leveling Edged blur and Yataghan Vortex which I think is a little unfair seeing as: A) We can't use it for ourselves since we dont have fire or earth elemental damage and B) Its basically only useful to wizards and psychics and more often than not, you can get most things done without either in a squad.

And ever since the expansion I've never really heard a need for Soul shatter and mind shatter from other people unlike say people asking you to heaven flame as a bm. I mean I understand HF is useful to the whole squad where as these debuffs are only beneficial to the casters but still...are the effects so neglible or what? I've leveled Mind Shatter to level 5. Supposedly by then it gives water and wood attacks 20% more chance to crit. So while I was in a bh79, the wizard with us kept getting killed from stealing agro. Granted, it was a blademaster tanking and not a barbarian so I don't if the wizard would agro with or without the debuff but it isn't hard to steal agro from barbs either sometimes so it would suck if the skills do more harm than good.

Also I'd like to know if Edged blur is good to max. It seems like just double sparking would give more damage to a single target, and vortex deals so much more damage. Maybe something like 3-5 times its output in 12 seconds, but there has to be some uses to it right? Like for pvp or saving mana? Any opinion on these skills would be appreciated since they're so expensive spirit points wise.

soul shatter definitely works. there was a SS some time back of a wizard doing some obscene damage popping blade tempest with it and BM dragons up on mobs. remember, none of the shatters work on pvp. mobs only.

the only thing i use edged blur for is uncovering sins if i think one is nearby. no need to level it past 1 really, unless you're sage then level it up after you reach 99. edged blur is a buff though, and it keeps working even if stunned/silenced/slept. so if you're fighting a BM that's using phys marrow and spam stunning you, you can try and blade affinity > ion spike > gemini > edged blur. this way if you get stunned after he's still taking damage. it's uses are really limited and the skill would be much better if it also factored in % weapon damage, but oh well :(
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • XMasqueradex - Lost City
    XMasqueradex - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    at my lvl i use edged blur alot to keep sins down when they try and stun lock me or pop into stealth
  • Neyda - Raging Tide
    Neyda - Raging Tide Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm using blurred Edge in FC, when Fighting the Stun, sleep and whatever Bosses.
    So I can do Damage even when I'm immobilzed b:surrender
  • Rexoniel - Sanctuary
    Rexoniel - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'll go ahead and level blurred edge to five just to not feel I've neglected it completely. It does sound useful to be able to continue to deal damage while stunned. I think that that's its small advantage over vortex, that vortex can be interupted in certain situations. But I will definitly get vortex to 10 first followed by mind shatter, edged blur, and lastly soul shatter.

I really wouldn't mind soul shatter so much if it wasn't so costly. And with wizards being such a rare breed these days, I could probably go days without needing to cast it.
  • supertroyman1
    supertroyman1 Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    vortex is worth the lvling if ur fighting other ha classes. faught a seeker same lvl similer gear and that skill cut through my def like butter. plus u can move with it and cast other skills. yeah id say its worth itb:victory
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    vortex is worth the lvling if ur fighting other ha classes. faught a seeker same lvl similer gear and that skill cut through my def like butter. plus u can move with it and cast other skills. yeah id say its worth itb:victory

Think you meant edge blur?

If so, then yes, Very useful skill in TW for one... In PvE I use it on stun/sleep bosses so that some attackin is still going on.
    re