Will pwi run on max setting on this pc

LayCool_ - Raging Tide
LayCool_ - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
as title says i am geting a new pc soon and i like ti know what my new pc can handle the game with top grapic settings, i used to have a Geforse 9800Gt (1 GIG) and 4Gig ram with windows 7,quad core 2.4

Here are the specs

Windows 7 64bit
3.4 GHz (up to 3.8 GHz with Turbo Boost)
8GB installed DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420
- 2GB dedicated memory
with Beats Audio
Post edited by LayCool_ - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Randamu - Harshlands
    Randamu - Harshlands Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Perfect World won't really use your video card... or your duel/quad core processor. It's a very old game and will only use a single core and that core will pretty much do all the work as Perfect World doesn't off-load any processing to the video card.

Turbo Boost is a feature of second generation Intel isn't it? I think you'll be able to run it on max settings then, despite that all I said above is true.
  • LayCool_ - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    well my last pc could handle it for sure, im waiting for my vochers to come back from pm worlds cover (knowhow) as the grapics card blew and blew a lot of the parts inside so they writing it off im looking at this spec pc and wanted to make sure its would handle this game perfect as my current back up Laptop can play the game but not on full spec: only 256 grapics and 3 gig ram but least i can play the game till i get the new one
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Perfect World won't really use your video card... or your duel/quad core processor. It's a very old game and will only use a single core and that core will pretty much do all the work as Perfect World doesn't off-load any processing to the video card.

i invite you to try running PW on any non-3D video card you can still find. IF you can find one, that is. trust me, the CPU does NOT do all the rendering, and the quality of the gfx card does indeed matter. (it doesn't matter as much as it might with a newer game, but it matters.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • LayCool_ - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    so will it Run LenieClarke
    edited May 2011
    i don't know, because i don't know enough about NVidia graphics cards; i use an ATI myself. if i had to guess, i'd say it will --- at worst you may have to dial down some of the detail settings a little.

for everything you've got except the graphics card, i can say for certain it's more than enough to run PWI. and if the graphics card is anything remotely on a level with the rest of the machine, then it'll be plenty good too. i don't think anybody would build a machine that's as otherwise good as what you're describing only to throw in a junk gfx card, though, that'd make no sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • LayCool_ - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    thanks for ur repley, hopfully i will get it soon im just waiting on the vochers, but im my last pc could handle im sure this can, just wanted some advise
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    as title says i am geting a new pc soon and i like ti know what my new pc can handle the game with top grapic settings, i used to have a Geforse 9800Gt (1 GIG) and 4Gig ram with windows 7,quad core 2.4

Here are the specs

Windows 7 64bit
    8GB installed DDR3 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 420
    - 2GB dedicated memory
    with Beats Audio

I was basing my information that of some other people that supposedly tested it and found out that the cpu DOES do all the rendering. I reckon it's true since I can play Crysis 2 on max, which uses my videocard to the max but not my cpu, and have Perfect World open at the same time on max without any change in performance.
    edited May 2011
    I was basing my information that of some other people that supposedly tested it and found out that the cpu DOES do all the rendering. I reckon it's true since I can play Crysis 2 on max, which uses my videocard to the max but not my cpu, and have Perfect World open at the same time on max without any change in performance.

that's not a test of what those other people told you; that merely proves that your computer (CPU + video card) can run both those game clients at once.

if this theory is true, you should be able to switch out your current graphics card for a truly ****ty five-year-old one that was a low-end "budget" model even when new --- basically the crappiest card you can find to fit into your PC --- and still have PW run just the same way. (although Crysis, if your guesses about it are correct, should run like **** at the same time.) that's the way to test this notion.
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Lol no I never said I tested it. I just said I believe them because... *insert my story about pw and crysis*. They actually tested it and confirmed that gpu usage while playing PW is next to nothing. But whatever not important.
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    run yes. but not better than a 2007 build pc. can get the most fancy 4-6k usd system out there but wont run this game better than the cheap 1k builds lol.
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Exactly, comes to down to what he said ^
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The game engine is old, outdated and a POS. I have an i7 2600k, 8gb, GTX480 and at any reasonable resolution on my 30" Dell, I get 15fps. The game client is horribly un-optimized.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Randamu - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    And that ^ proves that I was right :) PW pretty much ignores moderns gpu's and even modern cpu features.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    It comes down to CPU power over video card.

Wanna run PWI at Max Settings in Arch and get good framerates? You need a Dual Core CPU with the most GHZ and largest cache you can find, the most bandwidth between the CPU and RAM, and two or three SSD's in a RAID 0 or a RAID 5. Throw in a decent video card, some DDR3, and now overclock it all as far as it can go and be stable.

True, PWI doesn't use two cores. But in a dual core configuration, the OS can live on one core, and PWI can live on the other. PWI is mostly CPU dependent, and everything is faster with more cache (assuming... It's not Netburst).

I upgraded from a 2.2 ghz Wolfdale to a 1.8 ghz Conroe. 1 mb cache in the Wolfdale, 2 mb in the Conroe. 800 mhz FSB on the Wolfdale, 1066 on the Conroe. Same RAM, same video card. Gave me a 5 FPS bump in W Arch. Overclocking the Conroe from 1066 to 1333 on the FSB gave me another 4 FPS boost, and put me at 2.33 GHZ. Huge difference. Older CPU, but faster. Don't regret upgrading at all.

The fancy Core i7 stuff is really expensive, and it might be really good for stuff like Halo and Flight Simulator. I get about the same Framerate in PWI as I do in Minecraft, though, so do you really need to spend a bajillion dollars/euros on a top of the line computer for a game that's pushes a computer as hard as a game that uses 16 bit textures does?

Now, if PWI actually took advantage of a second, or third/fourth cores, extra cache, utilized SLI/Crossfire, and even was able to utilize technology like CUDA... Well, imagine getting 130 FPS in W Arch with maxed out settings, on a top of the line computer. But, it's an MMO, so does that achievement justify the cost? Multi-core support, however, would enable the vast majority of people to at least get more than 3-6 FPS in W Arch, though, and to have a smoother, more enjoyable gameplay experience. However, it would make the company no more money than they get already, so... This is all really quite moot.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    It comes down to CPU power over video card.

Wanna run PWI at Max Settings in Arch and get good framerates? You need a Dual Core CPU with the most GHZ and largest cache you can find, the most bandwidth between the CPU and RAM, and two or three SSD's in a RAID 0 or a RAID 5. Throw in a decent video card, some DDR3, and now overclock it all as far as it can go and be stable.

True, PWI doesn't use two cores. But in a dual core configuration, the OS can live on one core, and PWI can live on the other. PWI is mostly CPU dependent, and everything is faster with more cache (assuming... It's not Netburst).

I upgraded from a 2.2 ghz Wolfdale to a 1.8 ghz Conroe. 1 mb cache in the Wolfdale, 2 mb in the Conroe. 800 mhz FSB on the Wolfdale, 1066 on the Conroe. Same RAM, same video card. Gave me a 5 FPS bump in W Arch. Overclocking the Conroe from 1066 to 1333 on the FSB gave me another 4 FPS boost, and put me at 2.33 GHZ. Huge difference. Older CPU, but faster. Don't regret upgrading at all.

The fancy Core i7 stuff is really expensive, and it might be really good for stuff like Halo and Flight Simulator. I get about the same Framerate in PWI as I do in Minecraft, though, so do you really need to spend a bajillion dollars/euros on a top of the line computer for a game that's pushes a computer as hard as a game that uses 16 bit textures does?

Now, if PWI actually took advantage of a second, or third/fourth cores, extra cache, utilized SLI/Crossfire, and even was able to utilize technology like CUDA... Well, imagine getting 130 FPS in W Arch with maxed out settings, on a top of the line computer. But, it's an MMO, so does that achievement justify the cost? Multi-core support, however, would enable the vast majority of people to at least get more than 3-6 FPS in W Arch, though, and to have a smoother, more enjoyable gameplay experience. However, it would make the company no more money than they get already, so... This is all really quite moot.

No.

The Element Client is just horribly optimized, outdated code.

I got similar frame rates on my E6850 and 8800GTX.

I'm fairly certain the code is optimized for Pentium, not C2D or later processors.

That would explain a lot and would figure for a game engine nearing a decade old.

b:bye
  • LayCool_ - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    werid thing was my last pc could handlt it max perfect
    edited May 2011
    No.

The Element Client is just horribly optimized, outdated code.

I got similar frame rates on my E6850 and 8800GTX.

I'm fairly certain the code is optimized for Pentium, not C2D or later processors.

That would explain a lot and would figure for a game engine nearing a decade old.

b:bye

I have a Prescott system. It actually doesn't do so well on it compared to a C2D. It's a powerhouse Prescott, too... However, the RAM may be a serious hindrance... I'm running ECC RAM in it, it is a server, afterall. I do have a new mainboard coming, and a Prescott Dual Core 3.4 GHZ non HT, I can try running PWI on that and see how it compares (no ECC in that system: 3.4 X2, 4 gb of non ECC, unbuffered DDR2, ATI 3780 X2 video card, SATA II RAID for OS/Game). It's gonna be coming in the next few weeks... We'll see. I can post up a comparo, I guess.... That, basically, is the fastest non-overclocked Prescott ever made.

That system, when running F@H on both VCores and both CPU cores, will generate ~400 Watts of waste heat. b:shocked
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    I have a Prescott system. It actually doesn't do so well on it compared to a C2D. It's a powerhouse Prescott, too... However, the RAM may be a serious hindrance... I'm running ECC RAM in it, it is a server, afterall. I do have a new mainboard coming, and a Prescott Dual Core 3.4 GHZ non HT, I can try running PWI on that and see how it compares (no ECC in that system: 3.4 X2, 4 gb of non ECC, unbuffered DDR2, ATI 3780 X2 video card, SATA II RAID for OS/Game). It's gonna be coming in the next few weeks... We'll see. I can post up a comparo, I guess.... That, basically, is the fastest non-overclocked Prescott ever made.

That system, when running F@H on both VCores and both CPU cores, will generate ~400 Watts of waste heat. b:shocked

I think, optimizations aside, the difference is that the C2D is just a beast compared to the Prescott and is probably your bottleneck. I just moved into a new apt, got this new computer and new internet... but before, my problems with lag were mostly due to bandwidth issues, not cpu/gpu.

My P4 ran so hot... it doubled as a space heater.
  • Ruli - Heavens Tear
    Ruli - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    If your PC wont run PW at max settings something is badly wrong b:chuckle
    I have little doubt youll have any problems at all.

Welcome to PWb:bye
    edited May 2011
    I think, optimizations aside, the difference is that the C2D is just a beast compared to the Prescott and is probably your bottleneck. I just moved into a new apt, got this new computer and new internet... but before, my problems with lag were mostly due to bandwidth issues, not cpu/gpu.

My P4 ran so hot... it doubled as a space heater.

b:laugh I run my P4 JUST for that purpose in the winter time. I only run it during the summer for a fileserver/backup, other than that, it's off.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I've no idea on how this game client optimizes anything, but my old PC was basically this:

3.2 GHz (x1 CPU)
    Nvidia 8600 GT DDR2
    4gig DDR2 ram installed on 32 bit windows 7

those being the main things anyway, back before the genies came out, the game ran pretty smoothly with not much lag at all, even in big TWs, then genies and extra random patches game along and pretty much pwnd my PC to hell in TWs and largely crowded areas :/. (The PC was also about 4 years old)

My "new" PC that I got about 4 months back is now:

3.4 GHz (x4 CPU)
    Nvidia 9800 GT DDR2
    8gig DDR2 ram installed on a 64 bit windows 7

I have quite a big performance boost, the PC can handle everything at max pretty great, though when in arch again, I did get some lag, so what I did was turn visual distance down to half (who needs full anyway) and water down to minimal (as i found for some reason, water also caused un-needed lag, even if I couldn't actually see much of it at all on screen, anyway the arch lag is pretty much non existent, TW's also run very smoothly now as well, only get really minor lag's even when there's a hell load of people on screen, hope this helps a bit, btw isn't the 9800 GT a lil better then the 420 GT?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Damn...you all have some kickass machines. I worked for four months and the little money I saved went into a 26$ videocard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
    edited May 2011
    I've no idea on how this game client optimizes anything, but my old PC was basically this:

3.2 GHz (x1 CPU)
    Nvidia 8600 GT DDR2
    4gig DDR2 ram installed on 32 bit windows 7

those being the main things anyway, back before the genies came out, the game ran pretty smoothly with not much lag at all, even in big TWs, then genies and extra random patches game along and pretty much pwnd my PC to hell in TWs and largely crowded areas :/. (The PC was also about 4 years old)

My "new" PC that I got about 4 months back is now:

3.4 GHz (x4 CPU)
    Nvidia 9800 GT DDR2
    8gig DDR2 ram installed on a 64 bit windows 7

I have quite a big performance boost, the PC can handle everything at max pretty great, though when in arch again, I did get some lag, so what I did was turn visual distance down to half (who needs full anyway) and water down to minimal (as i found for some reason, water also caused un-needed lag, even if I couldn't actually see much of it at all on screen, anyway the arch lag is pretty much non existent, TW's also run very smoothly now as well, only get really minor lag's even when there's a hell load of people on screen, hope this helps a bit, btw isn't the 9800 GT a lil better then the 420 GT?

Your 3.2 ghz single core had a 533 mhz FSB, most likely, or slower. Your new computer has something on the scale of 2 ghz for that 'bus', though it isn't a FSB anymore.

Your old computer had 4 GB of DDR2, and your new computer has 8GB of DDR2.

(I should elaborate on the RAM... Your bus is going to limit your RAM speed, here. You have a 533 Bus, so DDR2 533 [PC 4300] is the fastest RAM you can take in the system. Newer systems with a separate link between the RAM and the CPU can take whatever speed RAM they want, like PC 8500, which is DDR2 1066, or faster. That makes the system capable of moving data from the RAM to the CPU much more efficiently, forget optimizations. You can also prevent your computer from moving stuff from RAM to the Hard Drive, Paging, which is stupid anyway if you have 8GB of RAM available.)

^^^ Right there is most of your answer.

As for the 9800GT, ummmmm. NO.

The 9800GT came with GDDR3 RAM, and a 256 bit memory interface, a couple of shaders, and a pretty simple physics processor. The 420 is ~2 generations newer, the GT250 series being between the 4xx and 9800GT. The GT4xx comes with GDDR5, and either 192 or 256-bit memory interface. 128-bit memory interface on GDDR5 has more bandwidth as compared to 256-bit is on GDDR3, for video cards. So, you see the comparison.

The 9800GT is basically an 8800GT with more shaders/DX10, the GT250 is a core-shrink, more processor power, more shaders, more capability than the 9800GT. The GT4xx series is brand new compared, AFAIK. (9800GT used a 65NM core, GT250 used a 45NM core)

In terms of power, the GT250 series is about 25% faster than the 9800GT, and... There's another speed boost for the GT4xx series over the GT250. The 8800GT is about 20% slower than the 9800GT, the 7950 about 10% slower than the 8800GT, and the 6800GT again, a bit slower than the 7950.

>_> Yeah. Any other... Questions? Please don't ask about SLI, that's another boring topic.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver
    Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I have all my settings maxed at my laptop HP 6730s it work perfectly except that
    it shut downs by overheating in summer b:surrender
    Long ago in a distant land,I Aku the shape shifting master of gods
    unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.Before the final blow was stroked I do opened a portal in time and send him into the future were my evil is grown.Now the fool seems to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    I have all my settings maxed at my laptop HP 6730s it work perfectly except that
    it shut downs by overheating in summer b:surrender

Clean it out? Fixes most laptop overheating issues.

Is it still in warranty? If not, take it to a repair place, have them disassemble it, and put a quality thermal paste between the heatpipe assembly and CPU core/heatspreader, and put it back together. This actually got my old lappy to work sooooo much better. I also evicted the dust bunnies living in the heatpipe while I took it apart. Most certainly not something for an intermediate or novice computer builder/repair tech, though. b:surrender
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Wunderkind - Dreamweaver
    Wunderkind - Dreamweaver Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    This game isn't anywhere near pretty enough to bother with max settings, I have min settings for most except distance etc, and I have to say I'm not missing much.
    Currently: pwcalc.com/b4c92dacf1da8c21
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    that's not a test of what those other people told you; that merely proves that your computer (CPU + video card) can run both those game clients at once.

if this theory is true, you should be able to switch out your current graphics card for a truly ****ty five-year-old one that was a low-end "budget" model even when new --- basically the crappiest card you can find to fit into your PC --- and still have PW run just the same way. (although Crysis, if your guesses about it are correct, should run like **** at the same time.) that's the way to test this notion.

I can run this game with an Nvidia 7300 GS (got one lying around).

That card's built only for HD video, not for gaming.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
    edited May 2011
    This game isn't anywhere near pretty enough to bother with max settings, I have min settings for most except distance etc, and I have to say I'm not missing much.

Sure you are. Go into NVidia/ATI control panel, and force AA/AAA/AF/AI on, turn settings more towards Quality than performance, and you will notice that textures look fantastic compared to how they look by default.

And for the love of all that is visible, turn off soften. >_> Unless you're addicted to soap operas, that's the most useless feature ever in a game, and that feature shouldn't even exist. >:(
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Turbo Boost is a feature of second generation Intel isn't it? I think you'll be able to run it on max settings then, despite that all I said above is true.

...wow I didn't know that. No wonder my pc didn't improve much with the game and the fan cooling down the core is always at max speed....

What a great revelation I had today...
  • NeoLilyStar - Sanctuary
    NeoLilyStar - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Here are the specs

Windows 7 64bit
    8GB installed DDR3 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 420
    - 2GB dedicated memory
    with Beats Audio

I think it might. Mines, a windows 7 64 bit with 2.9 Ghz, 6 GB DDR, ATI Graphics Card, but with a AMD Phenmon II quad core and it seems to run just fine at the max setting.