How to be a good healer?

krishnaya
krishnaya Posts: 47 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Cleric
So, I played FF11 (another MMORPG) for many years and was an excellent healer in that game. I seem to have recently failed at my first attempt at beaing a healer in PWI. In FF11 it was easy because I could set a macro for each party (like a squad) member to heal, or set a general heal spell and switch between targeting the different party members with the f1-f6 buttons.

In PWI, how do I effectively switch between different characters in a squad if multiple people need to be healed? And how do I quickly click back to/target the tank if there's many people in front of him? If I'm a mystic, how do I quickly switch from my pet, to another persons pet, and then back to different squad members?

Maybe there's a scripting guide somewhere, but I don't think it would do much good if macros cannot be set because it would take too long to type the proper scrypt each time.

Also, I looked briefly at the titles of the many stickies in the cleric forum, but none seemed to be directed at this question.

Thank you :)
Post edited by krishnaya on

Comments

• Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The easiest way would be to either click their icon in the squad window, or to use shift-#. The number you press would be their position in the squad window.

As for healing other pets, again the easiest way would be to first target the veno or mystic using the above method, and then click the little pet icon that should be near their name in the target window. If you're the main squad healer as a mystic I wouldn't worry about someone else's pet, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • krishnaya
    krishnaya Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ok, that helps a lot!!!! thanks :D

shift+1 will target the first person in squad?? So, how do I target myself again? Is there a shift+ that will target myself?
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Macros can be set in your skill window like so:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9250/20110526083253.png

1. Hit new.
    2. Put the arrow icon in the first slot.
    3. Put Ironheart Blessing and Wellspring Surge in the next two slots.
    4. Hit save.
    5. Ta da! You have the traditional healing macro.

Don't depend on it though. There are situations where you will basically need to spam Ironheart or use your other healing skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • LongWushi - Heavens Tear
    LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    krishnaya wrote: »
    shift+1 will target the first person in squad?? So, how do I target myself again? Is there a shift+ that will target myself?

You can click on your own icon in the upper left of your screen, click a mob, or press esc and then press any of your heals. I've never used the "shift" method since my fingers are generally pressing my heal hotkeys. Manually select everyone from the squad drop list as they need it (or let them die as the case may be). Can't always save everyone once they've gotten themselves into a hairy situation.
  • Hiemus - Raging Tide
    Hiemus - Raging Tide Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Remember the looks of aggro-holding skills is helpful so you know when you can start healing asap without drawing heal aggro. Staying alive above all, because if you die you take a long time to walk back unless you buy expensive rez scrolls. And if you die you won't be healing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Remember the looks of aggro-holding skills is helpful so you know when you can start healing asap without drawing heal aggro. Staying alive above all, because if you die you take a long time to walk back unless you buy expensive rez scrolls. And if you die you won't be healing.

OR you could stack a few heals before they act crazy. Ress scrolls aren't that expensive unless you're broke all the time. I have one for the odd accident, but I rarely die unless something really crazy happens.
  • Hiemus - Raging Tide
    Hiemus - Raging Tide Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    krishnaya wrote: »
    ok, that helps a lot!!!! thanks :D

Hit "Tab" key, it will target the nearest mob, then hit a heal skill key, the heal will then be cast on yourself. Shift + 1 indeed select first person in squad list. It's useful if your squad isn't too big, and you can spare the attention to remember which number the tank is on. Sometimes that -1 second from using hotkey lets me squeeze in a Wellspring that kept the tank from dying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm too pro for macros, unless it's buff macros <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    What the above posters said, click their name in the squad list. But I did want to add that whether or not you heal someone else's pet is situational. If you're in a squad with a venomancer, and her pet is the tank then you should probably help her with healing it. Your heal is a lot faster than hers. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    lizrau wrote: »
    I'm too pro for macros, unless it's buff macros <3

What about those trusty chi macros? :o
    What the above posters said, click their name in the squad list. But I did want to add that whether or not you heal someone else's pet is situational. If you're in a squad with a venomancer, and her pet is the tank then you should probably help her with healing it. Your heal is a lot faster than hers. :P

We can heal pets now? When was that implemented!?
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
    edited May 2011
    What about those trusty chi macros? :o

We can heal pets now? When was that implemented!?

Was referring to the "when I'm playing the mystic, how do I heal pets faster part." b:lipcurl b:scorn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Was referring to the "when I'm playing the mystic, how do I heal pets faster part." b:lipcurl b:scorn

I knew that, I was just...uh...testing you. b:surrender
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • WaterGlaze - Harshlands
    WaterGlaze - Harshlands Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    can someone please help me? i got locked out of my avatar and i dont know what to do?
  • Zvyn - Heavens Tear
    Zvyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    can someone please help me? i got locked out of my avatar and i dont know what to do?

I don't think that question is relevant to this thread. There should be a big yellow "button" that says "Edit Your Avatar" right next to your picture at the top left. You need to click directly on "Avatar." If that doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you...
    edited May 2011
    ok, srry about the off topic thing, but this thing has been bothering me for a while, and im a really weak cleric, thanks for the tip
  • Zvyn - Heavens Tear
    Zvyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Lol, what makes you weak?
    edited May 2011
    I mean, i will be a weak cleric if i cant get this thing of, i have lvl 7 armor, and lvl 59 weapon, i need a password to change my armor and weapon, when im a high lvl, i will still have the same armor and weapon, my defense will be low... my attack will be low... it sucks...
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    Prophete - Dreamweaver Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    what?
    edited May 2011
    I mean, i will be a weak cleric if i cant get this thing of, i have lvl 7 armor, and lvl 59 weapon, i need a password to change my armor and weapon, when im a high lvl, i will still have the same armor and weapon, my defense will be low... my attack will be low... it sucks...

b:questionb:questionb:question

What on earth are you talking about? Your forum avatar has nothing to do with your in game play.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
    edited May 2011
    I think maybe she means her bank pin. If you set a pin on your bank account then you have to enter it any time you want to change gears.
    edited May 2011
    b:questionb:questionb:question

What on earth are you talking about? Your forum avatar has nothing to do with your in game play.....

My in game avatar, i am locked out of it, i cant change my armor or weapon?
    edited May 2011

Did you put a password on your bank?
    edited May 2011

If you don't remember your bank password you can always submit a ticket. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • brisinger000
    brisinger000 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    no, my in game avatar, i am locked out of it, i cant change my armor or weapons, without those, i will be weaker in attack and defense
    edited May 2011

no, my account was **** into, then they put a password on my bank and my avatar
    edited May 2011
    wait, what? how do i submit a ticket?
    edited May 2011
    no, my in game avatar, i am locked out of it, i cant change my armor or weapons, without those, i will be weaker in attack and defense

You're not making any sense. If you have a weapon or armor in your inventory and you try to equip it but get a box asking for a "password" it's asking you for your bank pin. Once you put in your pin you can change your weapons and armors. You obviously still know your account's password since you can post on the forums. Sometimes within the first minute or so of signing in there is a flashing "lock" under your icon on the screen. That's safety lock and usually lasts one minute. Once it is done you should be able to change stuff. That's all I can think of...

Support: at the top of the screen, right under where the "logout" button is for your account is a button called Support. Once the page loads there is a section "Request Support." That's where you need go.
    edited May 2011
    wow guys, thanks a lot, i hope it works, im still kind of clueless about this game lol, srry
    edited May 2011
    wow guys, thanks a lot, i hope it works, im still kind of clueless about this game lol, srry

ok, ok, lets get back on topic now...
    edited May 2011

and no, i didint put a password on my bank