Why people stay

2»

Comments

• samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    PWI has gone too far with the constant sales, they have destroyed any balance that this game had, and IMO the original game (b4 genies and b4 those overpowered fishies) was really balanced and fun to play.

If you check how hard they were supposed to get, lunar weapons were supposed to be very rare, and R8 was made on purpose to be next to impossible to get.

Nowadays lunar weapons are a joke everybody and his moma has R8, and R9 is wow sick overpowered, -int is however the cup of grace, did they ever tested what happened if you stacked enough -int on a melee class? Do they even make test to their own game... really? do I even have to point how ridiculous broken the -int/5 aps mechanic is? and lets not even mention assassins, anything said about that class would make the original team cry.

I think that the original PW was a brilliant, fantastic and balanced game made a by a team of geniuses. It was however managed by greedy monkeys, and this game is so unbalanced that is no longer fun to play. But is nearly its limit, IMO the months of this game are numbered, the management team however knows that and are milking as much money as they can from the playerbase.

A sad end for a brilliant game, but befitting for a greedy company like PW.
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    TBH >_> im just waiting for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvbv-LkK6w then i wont sign on again zzz.
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Sneakret - Heavens Tear
    Sneakret - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Wow, feels like so long ago now. Back even just a year ago I'd have probably seen names I recognized on here before they were parting ways and looking for other options. Now the only one's standing out to me are Known and Trem.

Back when I started this was overwhelmingly fun, the cash shop was there to some extent but the sales were more on par with gold prices, mats and the like. When I put in 180$ for my herc after debating it for a few months till the 60 range on my veno I just about crapped my pants. The pet was meant to make things easier and open up solo-ability more, but you still had to play through the game. Now, I think on 200$ wisely spent you could buy your way to 100 in 2-3 days, get nirvana quips/rank, and go be a noob in TW with nothing left to do.

It's so accessible now for anyone to hit endgame that they really may as well just preload you at 100, then you can take the content at your own pace and go **** around at least. Once, it was an actual mmo with game in it. Now it's the equivalent of a Facebook game. This really is just a reskinned chat service with something to kill time on the side now and the sad thing is...

(being American myself) it's the US player base that really moved it in this direction. The sad fact of the matter is I mean c'mon take a look at the average US gamer now. They can't handle much more than a facebook system it blows their minds. They need cheap easy ways to "be the best" at everything w/o having to put any effort in. It's just part of the curve unfortunately, as we usher in more and more of a technological era there are less gamers that understand their community and system because gaming has become first and foremost a business aspect only. It's just another market. You rarely find actual hobby enthusiasts playing this **** anymore because it's lost it's appeal to those bright enough to actually play and interact.

When you sign up for a f2p mmo you really need to step back and consider that aspect. When a business sets up shop and asks for 5$ a month, they're just more likely to have that old enthusiast crowd(I work here because I like games). f2p 'games' are just rehashed trash to eat time and fund someone else's living habits(AKA it's just another job to get by on). If I had to phrase it, let's say in the past you had a definitive line between Sport and Geek types, in this era there's a very larger center zone and those people in the center continue to flock and feed f2p business markets because they don't care. They have the mentality from the get go that they are here to mess around and take off as they please. Taking care of #1 is all they're out for, there is no understanding that doing certain things make other people upset on the net anymore.

For crying out loud, I thought the whole " send me nudes" thing was a joke till my little sister got spammed with that. Guess who was surprised as all hell when they were baited to come to the house and found the pissed off brother instead. I guess it's outside my era already, pretty damn short lived considering I'm only 21...
    I can see what you see not,
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.
    Then you see what cannot be,
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Lost City
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The reason they stay is because they spent money and they don't wanna feel like they wasted it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Facebook.com/tangyfox
    EX Legendary on Sanctuary
    Moved to LC to PK
  • Drazomyst - Dreamweaver
    Drazomyst - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm also tired of the bugs, meaningless updates, lack of new FUN (yes, fun) content, messing up things that were fine before, lack of active in-game moderation and overall poor design. The game had issues to begin with, but two and a half years ago the game was actually very good quality for a Chinese free-to-play game.

Right now, the only thing I have felt like doing to level is crazy stone and the bounty hunter. But due to the degrading community, incentives for other things instead and generally bad design, it gets increasingly difficult to find a BH squad, let alone a good one....and even if you do, you'll probably mess up due to glitches, DCing or such. After today, after doing a BH59, I ended up DCing twice before I could even get back into the squad. As a result, I lost that squad for nothing, after putting in so much time and effort finding a squad that I can get into and killing mobs and bosses I didn't need. If this is the only thing I feel like doing in PWI now, there's little or no point in me playing at all. Games should be fun and help reduce stress, not cause it.

A game can be testing, laid back or challenging. Whatever it is, it should be fun. If not, it's not a game. When it feels more like work, especially work that can so easily be lost in vain, people begin to leave. Most of those that stay pay in a lot to keep themselves in the ranks, which makes them feel good about themselves. Good for them, but not everyone is like that.

I've been a very patient person until now, and PWI has stuck with me for a long time. But if they keep up with this trend, even I will leave for good eventually, not that I'm a big loss nor would they care....but if the majority of players are less patient than me, they'll see that figure multiplied by dozens of thousands, if not more.
    [Retired from PWI]
  • Sneakret - Heavens Tear
    Sneakret - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The reason they stay is because they spent money and they don't wanna feel like they wasted it.

I hear parents say they raised their children for the same reason occasionally b:chuckle

edit: ninja'd by drazo, also may wanna change that vein to vain xD I have a pretty good feeling the first is in your body and not describing a failing uphill struggle.
    I can see what you see not,
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.
    Then you see what cannot be,
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I stick around because I've got some good memories. Also: Delta. Delta squads have been kicking up a lot lately, and I'm taking advantage of the fun times in there.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • nakhtuul
    nakhtuul Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Break the cycle. Gaming is fun, but extremely hazardous to your social, physical, mental and emotional health if done excessively. If you hate this game or how its being ran, why subject yourself to something you do not like?

http://www.olganon.org/

Check in. Get out(side). You can do it!

Perfect World International Alumni
    Closed Beta 2008 - Present
  • Miss_Clover - Dreamweaver
    Miss_Clover - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    For the record, I did quit. I quit for over 12 months. I quit because the PWI I knew and loved - where GMs held meet and greets, bantered on WC, and the cash shoppers were equally matched with the non-cashshoppers - was a thing of the past.

While I was away, I went through a number of other MMORPGs. I tried free servers - mostly deserted because I prefer PVE. But I came back because I missed the game play. None of the other games stacked up when it came to game play. They were fairer. I can't talk about the support mostly because I tend to avoid it if possible. All I know is my experience as a gamer without cold hard cash.

A lot of games out there, though, are a lot like PWI is now. Even the P2P ones. I come from a Diablo 2 background, where the people with the money were gods and the people without either had to suck it up, or find rich friends. Other games, you need to keep buying constantly released expansions to even hope to keep up.

At some point in PWI, those of us that can't afford to zoom through lvls and get uber godlike gear, have to accept things as they are or leave. Gold is never going to go back to 100k. The GMs are never going to cater to the moniless players because, let's face it, money makes the world go round. (That comes off as way more bitter than I mean it. I'm a tad more indifferent about it now.) It used to be better than those other games, which is what attracted me to it initially, but even though it's not better, it's at least no worse. And it does have some pretty cool features that other games don't have.

We can all get what the rich players can get, it'll just take a lot more work and time. It isn't the epic game it used to be, but it's still fun.

I admit though, it can be frustrating with all this QQing and screaming going on in the forums, those of us who feel like the changes and god-status-for-paying-customers is leaving us behind aren't being heard. And those who figure out how to use the system or pay for it shoot us down for complaining. It would be nice to hear some plans from the GMs. Just something, anything to let us know where they stand on it, but to play the devil's advocate here, no matter what they do, someone's going to be upset about it.

Sorry, I rambled. All I was trying to say is "It's been better, it could be better, but I still like it in some ways." I'll shut up now!
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    EDIT: nevermind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Somesword - Sanctuary
    Somesword - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    when i get my new computer and scrap my netbook as my main, im definitely kicking pw to the curb, i only play this game because it runs good on this machine, i have stronger computers, but i hate the operating systems on them.
    pw simply isnt entertaining anymore, its a headache.
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    My reasons for staying are the friends I met ingame, and who are still playing. I also still enjoy playing for an hour or so every day.
    However, I haven't run into a game yet with such advanced character creation. I personally hate it when I run around and see clones of my own character everywhere... :/
    Just one of the reasons why I haven't moved to a diff game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    My reasons for staying are the friends I met ingame, and who are still playing. I also still enjoy playing for an hour or so every day.
    However, I haven't run into a game yet with such advanced character creation. I personally hate it when I run around and see clones of my own character everywhere... :/
    Just one of the reasons why I haven't moved to a diff game...
    Once PW realized they could make money off us starting with the Hellhound sales few years ago it was over.

They indeed took it too far with the gear CS sales.

But ill admit, PW did great marketing and has mad ton of profit off us. Like you say the game is addiciting and friends make it that much harder to leave. So you kind of spend ZHEN and spend time on the game. The game itself is great, and they would reach a better level if they just fix bugs, but there main worries are marketing, to make more money from CS. That's been their goal since gold prices hit 200k. or even before. Maybe in the beginning, it was their goal.

Make a great product, make people work for their gear, make the game a achieving game till they get enough playerbase to launch sales and its been nothing but success for them. I mean in all servers, you got people who CS, who +12. This game really has made ton of money. And if people complain about bugs, problems, OP issues but they stilll make money then they won't change it one bit.

It's sad, PWI will NEVER CHANGE. It's a fact. If it was, it would done so YEARS ago when the problem was first STARTED. and it was an EASY FIX too. But while we want fun, they want profit. and in PWI's company case, Profit > our FUN and enjoyment. And the company can't say they show OTHERWISE, cause obviously there here for the money and looking for more ideas to make it.

Has to be hands down the most expensive and most used CS in MMO history.
    This is the way the F2P MMO industry generally works.

That's why F2P MMO's are best to play early in their development. After that, nearly all the developing goes to other games and the cash shop.

Compare that to P2P MMO's where they survive based on the content and quality they bring.

PW should make all methods of communication/chats in game cost zen. It would be a fitting end to the game considering most people stick around merely to chat.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I had a reason, and then I lost it all in the blink of an eye. Now I'm back to where I never wanted to be again.

First I had a good faction..Tigerlily, then things happened with leadership and it died. Those people were my first true friends in the game. Vonni, Sykira, etc..

Then it was back to the lonely world..

I went venomancer, got a herc, solo'd all my stuff. Met a cleric, played with her from 66 to 86, things happened, that friendship ended. For 2 months I had nobody and was going to quit..then I met someone very special. Someone that would go on to turn my life completely upside down in a good way. I was happy, but...yeah I ruined that too. And unlike the others before, I would give anything in the world to get her back. She was why I stayed in the game. I have nothing now, sooner or later, I'll fade away.
  • Ruli - Heavens Tear
    Ruli - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm actually disappointed in how PWE are handling the game, I spent a small fortune here but I'm staying to get my money's worth. Planned on staying till the servers shut down permanently due to the amount of money i have already spent. Other than the friends i made here. Not a lot keeping me here. PWE wont get another penny from me untill they do fix the bugs, until they do fix the economy an untill they do fix the game imbalances.
    Its not that hard to give your paying customers a quality service now is it?
  • LexSanada - Sanctuary
    LexSanada - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I only really stay for my friends that I've made on here and for TW. I love that aspect of the game, even though it's only for a few hours every weekend.

But. When B&S and SW:TOR comes out, I'm gone. Also, B&S is in CB in Korea atm, in case anyone wanted to know b:chuckle
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited May 2011

If I don't play PWI. I play TF2, Killing Floor, Firearms: Source, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Dawn of War 2, I beta test Natural Selection 2 (Yes the release is coming and its heavily community orientated), BRINK and eventually I might get Guild Wars or that other new MMO coming out: The Secret World. I just came back to "PW" from Malaysia cause I was asked.

As for the APS argument. I'll probably eventually create an Assassin. Who knows. I don't trust China. I don't care about China. They keep digging up our resources here in Australia. Whatever. I play PW (here) because Malaysia was

1: Infested with gold botters

2: The economy went out of control (a lot more than the international version -- you guys should see yourselves. Seriously)

3: Cubizone didn't give a rats **** about PW MY. They let it fester then 2 years later they contacted my friend and literally said "Hey, we see you haven't been playing give us more money" and my friend basically wrote back politely and said she had put to much in already and "You don't update it so often, so you don't care".

3a: They (Cubizone) merged two servers then created another one called Fantasia and then while I was gone (in PWI) they merged the Fantasia server. Can you guess why they did it? Simple to give players the illusion that "Oh look here is a NEW server and there will be no gold companies making the game ****" I went back in April and I check back regularly, IT IS a CRAPLOAD! worser than here. Everything is 800,000,000 (Yes 800 million) for some of the good items. I kid you not. But anyway Fantasia got merged and now it is one big steaming pile of well... you get my drift. Some items are 1.4 BILLION COINS and yes you can still buy coin for real cash. Suppose you can make money but what is the point if the server feels deadish.

4: Every other game MMO that I've played and I've tried a few is infested with gold advertising bots. It makes me sick to see that bullcrap advertised over and over again.

4a: I don't like playing MMOs where you have to pay an external company to win. I am cool with paying the main company.

5: If the MMO runs a tight ship and has the occasional competition I am cool with that

5a: MMO must not be a 'grind-fest'

5a1: PW can be a grind-fest or a fast level up. But you can still get the gear you want given time and its pay as you go.

I don't mind subscription MMOs, but must be dynamic and not boring.
    Gunz The Duel is one example of dynamic and not boring and takes skill (K-Style - back in 2006)

On the bright hand side. PW MY taught me:

A: Things are too damn to easy in the International version (coin, packs, etc)
    A1: The APS mentality of every server here really is making me laugh and smirk.
    A2: MY taught me that earning things in a normal PW environment is a hit and miss affair.
    B: Sure you can still earn things but its just as easier to buy it off someone who opens packs.
    C: You can still have fun. Sort of. *shrugs*
    D: Coin advertisers disappear very fast in PWI -- which I'm grateful for, 4 years of coin spamming douchebags
    "Buy mah coin 1SGD/2USD/<insert your currency here>=10MIL COIN, www.buymycoinfromgoldfarmer.com"

Also a lot of the gold/coin farming business is unethical and hires students at rock bottom rates. But I am getting off-topic

Why do I keep paying to play here? Cause it isn't run by the just another asianatic company that treats
    'changes their ToS eradically; lets bots run amok in game; lets the coin farming companies come in; encourages new people; if albeit they are alts - but I can probably live with that and finally if I do really need a GM then I usually get one -- but I am intelligent enough not to need one.

Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    nakhtuul wrote: »
    Break the cycle. Gaming is fun, but extremely hazardous to your social, physical, mental and emotional health if done excessively. If you hate this game or how its being ran, why subject yourself to something you do not like?

http://www.olganon.org/

Check in. Get out(side). You can do it!

If this is a 10 step help program, Count me out.

What about the benefits on online gaming?

- back in the earlier days (pre-internet 1.5) we had a BBS system and we'd have get togethers
    - Lan Gaming
    - Social pub nights
    - Pool nights
    ?

Example:
    http://www.respawn.com.au/images/respawn_v19_top.jpg

Just an example.
    Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Gaming is only hazardous to your health if you allow it to be. It gives people, who are otherwise inhibited by anxiety disorders, a chance to be able to converse with others in a more relaxed and comfortable setting. Unfortunately, I am one of these people and find it extremely difficult to even go to the store; and, when I have to go, I am only in town long enough to do what is needed and then go back home. But that's to be expected when you are constantly harassed and bullied as you are growing up.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • stealth434
    stealth434 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Man, I agree so much with the OP. Even if things were so bad though, I was still really addicted before I quit... Started to mess up my relationship b:shocked

I finally told my girlfriend to get my main account banned so I couldn't play anymore. Kinda sucks cuz it was a 102 sin with r9 dags, but oh well. Not sure exactly what she did because she won't tell me, but it's prema-banned now! Haha. b:laugh (b:cry )
  • Ruli - Heavens Tear
    Ruli - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I came from ww2 (World war two) flight sim community before i played PW. Ill not mention any names but it was from a well known Russian company. Anyway the original came out in 2000 i believe. They just released a new patch, albeit from a new software developer. However, throughout its life span this ww2 flight sim had constant updates from the developers. As the game/sim evolved it just got better. The community both on and offline drove development forwards. The company listened too its customers an responded in kind. Flight simming is a niche gaming genre an not too popular. If such a niche gaming genre can look after its software and its community like they have. Why cant PW do same for us?

Im quite sure they (PW) are quite aware of all the bugs and problems. Yet the do nothing about it. I think in the long run thats what bugs people the most.

We love your product its fun an yes im still having alot of fun here an have no intension of leaving any time soon.

But please fix the bugs and imbalances. I see no reason why i shouldnt be playing this game in 10 years time baring death. But will the community still be here then?
  • Cadeal - Dreamweaver
    Cadeal - Dreamweaver Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2011

No staff of PWE was ever watching gold prices by the way. Just so people feel at ease.

I'm under the full assumption, that they set the gold prices after seeing screenshots from a GM's account where he had over 8k gold

But, its true what they say, Addiction Sells