[EVENT] New Arrivals Video Contest: Winner's Poll

Options
Kieve - Dreamweaver
Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
The wait is finally over - videos reviewed, feedback received, and now at last I present to you our five finalists. One of these fine cinematographers will receive a Video Spotlight on the main page, courtesy of our CM Frankieraye, a special forum title, and of course the promised 10,000,000 coin to the ingame character(s) of their choice.

For your viewing pleasure, the entries:
The Perfect World Cave - Battleshred, Heavens Tear
A great first entry with decent camera work, and nice attention to detail with the additional sound effects. Voice acting is decent, but would benefit from the use of a noise-filter for improved cleanup.

Arrivals & Departures - boogiepanda, Raging Tide
Decent submission with a number of wonderfully cinematic shots. Syncs well (if perhaps too literally) to the music, though a steadier hand with camera movements would help.

Wolf and I - Terasgift, Heavens Tear
Despite suffering a bit of lag, the scenic locations and relatively steady camera work come together nicely. It does, however, fall prey to the same 'literal' tendencies of MV composition, growing repetitive as the song stretches on.

Flower Dance - Felizia, Lost City
Artistic and beautifully conceived, the dynamic camera use and stylized appearance keep this one interesting and engaging throughout. Aside from a slight music hiccup around the two-minute mark, the only significant flaw is the appearance of damage tickers - the use of a camera alt to prevent these would have been ideal.

Earthguard - Aroogah, Dreamweaver
An interestingly original take on the EG's role in PWI. Voice quality is rough, but the narration and story are well-done. While the audio and visual components don't always sync up perfectly, the camera work itself is clean and well-done.

Additionally, Sapphire Dress Dance Music Video by RancorousTwo, Dreamweaver, was also submitted, but ultimately was not placed among finalists as it was unrelated to the contest's primary focus˚.

With that, comrades, I leave it to you to decide our winner. Cast your vote for favorite film!
THIS POLL WILL END NEXT TUESDAY, MAY 31st, AT MIDNIGHT EST.
^Unfortunately I seem to have goofed a bit with the poll options, but votes after that point will no longer be counted.

Special thanks to Frankieraye and the staff for their help & cooperation during the contest!
Entrants may send me a PM if they would like more in-depth feedback on their videos.

˚A length of 5:09 was also a partial factor, but did not of itself disqualify the video, as actual film content as defined by contest rules was under the 5:00 minute runtime requirement.

/RESULTS
Although I made an error when submitting the poll, and it hasn't actually "closed," voting ended as of May 31st. Congrats to Felizia of Lost City!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clockwork spider luvs you.
youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
Post edited by Kieve - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gonna have to vote with flower for this one, though boogies was also good. The others.. not so much.
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • RosangeIa - Heavens Tear
    RosangeIa - Heavens Tear Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I was really torn between some of them. D: I liked Flower Dance and Arrivals and Departures best, ended up picking AandD. If I could've voted for two I would've. :X Great job to everyone who had entered though :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here since October 2008 ;)

Check out my Art Corner:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1212861
  • Xena - Dreamweaver
    Xena - Dreamweaver Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The Dreamweaver entry is my favorite by far. I'd vote for it if I could...but the poll is mucked up XD
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ...but the poll is mucked up XD

Mucked up, how?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FateMakerr - Heavens Tear
    FateMakerr - Heavens Tear Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I voted Earthguard. It was between Earthguard and Flower Dance for me, however, I felt that Earthguard's original and creative concept trumped the poem, which in the video, left me feeling a bit flat towards the end, even with the great cinematics.

Good Luck, and great job to all the contestants!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Semi Retired Psychic of Radiance faction//Entering full retirement upon the release of ĠuildẂars2 or an otherwise drastic change in PWI management.
    "Exploiting a glitch is a violation of the ToS under User Conduct:
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players"-frankieraye ............guess he changed his mind.
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think the perfect world cave and the flower dance stand the best chances atm, I'm thinking more of the flower dance though, then perhaps the Earth guard on 3rd, also that sapphire dress dance, idk how they managed to make a 5min vid out of a 15 second? dance animation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    cant deside.. either The Perfect World Cave or Flower Dance for sure, Earthguard was ok but the sound quality really wasnt that great.
    Wolf and I and Arrivals & Departures .. didnt like them at all. after watching her walk around about a minute or so on A&D i sorta skipped through it to see if there was anything else going to happen then went on to the next one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    To be fair, although I do have my own opinions, I'm not casting votes here. It is enough that those who submitted films be recognized for their efforts, and hopefully will continue to make videos even once this contest is over.

Also, to Frankie: I implore you, please give us a real video contest. The Genesis vid thing doesn't count.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    wow the flowers was really nice definite winner there. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Only watched three of them so far so I might be a little biased atm ^.~
    Obviously 2&3 are using sound that gets blocked in my country so I gotta find a way around that first.. sigh.

So far I like Felizias version best. The poem and the images go so well <3
    Earthguard seems to have a nice story but it's so hard to understand, and English not being my mothertongue doesn't help there >.< The Perfect World Cave... classical story, what can I say.

[**** you, preview function that's not working ==']
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    AandD yes was a bit too literal of an interpretation, but was really thought out and well rehearsed. I think what turned me off of some of the others was just sound quality :< I understand most people can only work with what they have, but this should be an eye opener to them that the quality is what separates them between being the top choice, and being the lesser choice.

Thank you all who participated, your videos were funny and amusing <3
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I understand most people can only work with what they have, but this should be an eye opener to them that the quality is what separates them between being the top choice, and being the lesser choice.

It's true that better-quality vids are held in higher regard, but as an "eye opener," that actually runs counter to my purpose. I want to encourage more folks towards filming, not put them off for fear of bad film or sound quality. Generally speaking there are plenty of ways to improve that, too. Using some noise filters on recorded voice, cover the mic when speaking to cut down on the harsh "popping" sounds from P's, K's, etc. lower resolution or kill background processes to speed the game up and reduce lag...

In short, it's a learning experience - try different things, learn what works, what doesn't, and how to improve. It's like any art, it gets better with practice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I voted for Perfect World Cave because I thought the story was brilliant
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Flowers. I think the music did it for me.
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's true that better-quality vids are held in higher regard, but as an "eye opener," that actually runs counter to my purpose. I want to encourage more folks towards filming, not put them off for fear of bad film or sound quality. Generally speaking there are plenty of ways to improve that, too. Using some noise filters on recorded voice, cover the mic when speaking to cut down on the harsh "popping" sounds from P's, K's, etc. lower resolution or kill background processes to speed the game up and reduce lag...

In short, it's a learning experience - try different things, learn what works, what doesn't, and how to improve. It's like any art, it gets better with practice.

sorry I'll correct my message (didn't mean to come off as snarky as I did) all of them were amusing, and I do applaud everyone who participated for doing something I quite frankly cannot. b:cute And I wish that they all continue.

I defer to you ways of improving such, and I hope that they see it. I would just merely point out that consumers do not usually value or notice the work behind such, and quality will play a part in some voters choices.

In short, narration was wonderful, in most if not all of them, so for me personally the only way I could figure of differentiating between who received my vote was on quality of the overall delivery.

Thank you again to all who participated
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Flower Dance was definitely the best. I was completely in awe of it. I'll have to ask Felizia if I can use the poem and do my own little video on it :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScarletStorm - Harshlands
    ScarletStorm - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ok I'm a bit confused....while the Flower Dance video was nice, I went back and looked up the original post about the video contest it stated "The contest is simple - create a video portraying how the Earthguard and the other races react to each other. It can be dramatic or humorous, epic or tragic, but it must illustrate how either the other races interact with Earthguard, or vice-versa."

The Flower Dance video focused on the Untamed (Barbs/Venos), Elves (Cleric), Humans (Blade/Wiz), Tideborn (Sin/Psy) as the 7 colors of the rainbow and Elves (Archer - as Rain) but I do not see how this video shows "must illustrate how either the other races interact with Earthguard, or vice-versa." The Earthguard only appear at the very end of the video as the "rainbow" led by the archer (ie rain) flys over the land. There is no interaction between the 4 prior races in this video that fits the original premise as I read the instructions.

So while Flowers is good I'll be looking at voting for one that follows the original premise of the contest.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Flower Dance was definitely the best. I was completely in awe of it. I'll have to ask Felizia if I can use the poem and do my own little video on it :)

Pretty sure anyone can use it. It's a Native American legend.

I voted for cave.
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I really, really, really dont like poems... so I didnt really watch more than 10 secondes =\
    ... I voted for the Cave :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    B_K - Sanctuary Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i liked wolf and i and earthguard both, but the use of the poem in flowers was so touching, though im too lazy to go back and lok where did the earthguard fit in
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Pretty sure anyone can use it. It's a Native American legend.

I voted for cave.

Really? I thought it was an original story b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Really? I thought it was an original story b:surrender

they actually have it in the notes on the video where the poem and song come from
    "CREDIT:
    ᴾᴼᴱᴹ:http://www.achievebalance.com/think/colors.htm
    ˁᴼᴺᴳ: ᴰᴶ ᴼᴷᴬᵂᴬᴿᴵ ⁻ ᶠᴸᴼᵂᴱᴿ ᴰᴬᴺᶜᴱ
    ᴵ ᴰᴼᴺ'ᵀ ᴼᵂᴺ ᴬᴺʸᵀᴴᴵᴺᴳ ᴮᵁᵀ ᵀᴴᴱ ᴱᴰᴵᵀᴵᴺᴳˑ"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Really enjoyed the Flower Dance one. I didn't really understand it at first but in the end, when Rain came in, I was like "OMG RAINBOW!" It's so cute how creative it is... a nice outlook on how a rainbow was originally made. Never heard of the story before so. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Voted for Flower Dance, the music and poem was beautiful, aswell as how the recordings were shot out. overall, a enjoyment to watch ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Flower dance was amazing ;...;

All were good imo, except...
    I just couldnt sit through the one set to the unremarkable Taylor Swift song.

Edit: OOOh also, Earthguard I found kind of annoying ._.
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Kay final rate from my side... (side note, I wont comment on graphics cause two of them only work via proxy for me.. awful quality >.<)

Perfect World Cave... The typical story. Boy rescues girl, they fall in love. Like the humor but the storys a bit too overused imo, sorry b:surrender

Arrivals & Departures... Pretty much same as first. Very nice zoom and camera movements but ya.. love story x_x

Wolf and I... love story again. lol But this time in a different way. I really like the sad touch to it, how you gotta hide your love. Also the song <3 Very nicely done, could use some new action toward the ends though.

Flower Dance...When I watched this one first.. I cried. It's so damn cute and poetic. The poem goes so well with your pictures and the camera movments. And your play with colours <3 The idea behind it is just wonderful and inspiring :3 Only critique I got is that I had a bit of trouble reading some looong lines in the short time they appeared.
    But wow, hats off. Very nicely done :) You got my vote, Felizia.

Earthguard... Interesting. Something different. You hit the topic most for me. But I got trouble understanding the story b:surrender Youre a good narrator but the rather bad audio makes it hard for me as I didn't grow up with English as mothertongue. That ones so worth redoing it with a good mic :)

edit: whoa sorry for the wall of text ._.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Flower Dance is my fave for the message it gives...NO ONE RACE OR CLASS IS BEST....we are all here to work together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Deoxyribose - Heavens Tear
    Deoxyribose - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The Cave :D... even though the audio wasn't all that! It was very cool :>... Goodluck battle!
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Flower Dance is my fave for the message it gives...NO ONE RACE OR CLASS IS BEST....we are all here to work together.
    Thank you.... Quote for the win!
  • Flyingkea - Dreamweaver
    Flyingkea - Dreamweaver Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Earthguard... Interesting. Something different. You hit the topic most for me. But I got trouble understanding the story b:surrender Youre a good narrator but the rather bad audio makes it hard for me as I didn't grow up with English as mothertongue. That ones so worth redoing it with a good mic :)

Sorry about the poor sound quality everyone b:sad I don't have a mic of my own so I ended up borrowing a flatmates guitar hero mic b:surrender Also Kieve very nicely sent me some tips on how to improve sounds recordings for future reference. b:thanks. Also if I'm open to any feedback if people want to give it.
    I'm glad tho that most people like my take on the new race, i was a bit surprise at how "offtopic" some of them seemed but maybe I'm a bit biased since I entered a vid lol. :P (Aroogah is my alt)