Sparking, when, how and more...

BabaORiley - Dreamweaver
BabaORiley - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Venomancer
I am working on my veno team support roles like helping out with a spark now and then.

I have figured out to spark the Cleric when they do the blue bubble thing, but am somewhat confused about all the Barb attack visuals and haven't worked out which ones to look for to know its time to spark the Barb. b:puzzled

Is there a particular effect to look for where its sure to be appreciated. I have yet to learn all the abbreviations and connect them with how they look.

Also is working off visual clues how most people do it, or is there some kind of squad chat signaling that works well? Ask the Barb to just yell when they need it?

How do you handle it?

b:laugh
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
BabaORiley
Post edited by BabaORiley - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    blue bubble and red bubble are obvious visual cues, and of course i spark after those.

i've heard it's good to spark after a barb uses invoke... but like you, i've no idea what invoke looks like. hm, maybe we ought to go searching on youtube... failing that, i try to remember to tell my squads to ask me for a spark as they need it. that's never yet been taken badly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    All barb skills 1-79

Edit: I cant seem to find one with invoke, but i can probably find a pic of it.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Krisnda wrote: »
    All barb skills 1-79

Edit: I cant seem to find one with invoke, but i can probably find a pic of it.

I don't see invoke in that video...but the moving catshop was awesome!

And holy ninja edit batman!
  • Lorann - Raging Tide
    Lorann - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Lol I've had the issue of not knowing when to spark the tank too but generally speaking if Cleric isn't RB/BB I just feed any spare sparks to the tank as and when I get them.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Invoke - barb goes into a yellow banana split dish and a little Buddha pops up above his head (I think DSHolder has a picture of it in his signature, but I could be thinking about someone else.) Another cue is that he get's the turtle icon next to his name.

Another 2 spark barb skill:

Sunder (also tiger form) - barb spins around in an aoe attack.
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    What Mauntille says is right, though I always refer to it as "flower thing" xD

BB and RB are obvious "I need a spark-skills" :) If I see an archer use barrage, or a wiz a nuke, I usually ask around if someone needs a spark, if not they get one.

Also if the barb and cleric don't need a spark and there's a bm using HF(the red dragon that later gives the amp effect) hand the bm a spark :)

Anyway, if you're not sure, just ask them to give a yell when they need a spark ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    In TW usually people want sparks all the time... however you need to keep 2 for yourself.

Reason being bramble hood... sending all your sparks away isn't going to help if you die as a result of it and cannot send more at a stead pace.

During the cool down of Lending Hand usually I spend it to build more.... hood comes in handy with just about any attack coming at you
    edited May 2011
    when i see a BM HF'ing (the spinning dragons are pretty hard to mistake, luckily) i'm often conflicted; spark them, or nova? it usually comes down to, is this an APS BM or not --- if yes, i nova; if no, i noxious then spark.

i'm out of the habit of sparking archers after barrage. that's partly because i tend to run with high-level faction archers who seldom if ever need sparked, and who i know will ask if they do. i should probably get into that habit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    when i see a BM HF'ing (the spinning dragons are pretty hard to mistake, luckily) i'm often conflicted; spark them, or nova? it usually comes down to, is this an APS BM or not --- if yes, i nova; if no, i noxious then spark.

i'm out of the habit of sparking archers after barrage. that's partly because i tend to run with high-level faction archers who seldom if ever need sparked, and who i know will ask if they do. i should probably get into that habit.
    Also a good move for BM's (especially if they are aps) is to go fox and use Amplify Damage on the boss. That extra 20% is awesome (30% if your sage :D)
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I am working on my veno team support roles like helping out with a spark now and then.

I have figured out to spark the Cleric when they do the blue bubble thing, but am somewhat confused about all the Barb attack visuals and haven't worked out which ones to look for to know its time to spark the Barb. b:puzzled

Is there a particular effect to look for where its sure to be appreciated. I have yet to learn all the abbreviations and connect them with how they look.

Also is working off visual clues how most people do it, or is there some kind of squad chat signaling that works well? Ask the Barb to just yell when they need it?

How do you handle it?

b:laugh

Asking your team mate.. who wants a spark in the order of Barb->cleric->bm->Archer->wizard in term of piority.
    If a sin ever say he needs you to give him a spark, kick him lol
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver
    Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    not sure, but is invoke what the barb uses on 2:15 here?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCdRxtw-Ho
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DREAMWEAVER:
    Myrrmidonna, 8x Trickster b:sin
    Eskarinne, 5x Summoner b:cute

It is not the destination that makes the journey worthwhile...
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011

that is correct.
    Going for
    While waiting
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited May 2011

95% of BMs invited to Nirvana nowadays have some sort of aps (of varying levels) yet are still expected to spam HF whenever possible while DDing between the dragon's cooldown time.

So yes... sparks are always needed and appreciated by most BMs. However 95% of the time the average Veno in squad never even looks our way. b:surrender
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I've got Cloud Eruption on my Archer, and the Sage chi skill, so I never need sparks for barrage. In fact, it makes Sage Spark + Barrage possible.

As for cleric, if they are doing RB, I'll ask if they want a spark, as RB only requires one spark. For BB, I toss one anyway.

Barbs... Eh. I haven't played mine enough to figure out the skills yet. I just toss one whenever I have one.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • BabaORiley - Dreamweaver
    BabaORiley - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Reason being bramble hood... sending all your sparks away isn't going to help if you die as a result of it and cannot send more at a stead pace.

I'm one cultivation step away from getting bramble hood, so that conflict will be a new one for me.

That helps a bunch. I tried looking at a few Barb skill videos, but I could not glean much from them, but I definitely recognize that gold circular pattern from now on.

Will be sure to pipe up in squads now and ask. b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The exodus is here
    The happy ones are near
    BabaORiley
  • Lorann - Raging Tide
    Lorann - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2011

that is correct.

Awesome! Thanks for this. Now I won't feel so useless about when to spark teh barb. :D
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    95% of BMs invited to Nirvana nowadays have some sort of aps (of varying levels) yet are still expected to spam HF whenever possible while DDing between the dragon's cooldown time.

So yes... sparks are always needed and appreciated by most BMs. However 95% of the time the average Veno in squad never even looks our way. b:surrender

thought most bm who went nirvana would have taken cloud eruption with them.

4+1 spark is enough for you to spark first , HF, wack till you get 4 spark again.
    if you have 5aps of cuz =x
    Going for
    While waiting
  • Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver
    Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Spanking: http://media.photobucket.com/image/spanking/tinahopper/spanking.jpg?o=8 b:laugh
    But were and how idk lol b:laugh
    Long ago in a distant land,I Aku the shape shifting master of gods
    unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.Before the final blow was stroked I do opened a portal in time and send him into the future were my evil is grown.Now the fool seems to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Heavenberry - Dreamweaver
    Heavenberry - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Here is a tip from me, read it over.

The top tiers needing sparks are as following in my personal opinion:
    S- needy
    F- unneedy

S - Barb: Invoke, devour, flesh ream
    A - Cleric: BB, spark
    A - BM/intBM: HF, MSS, GS, spark
    C - Sins: Spark imo
    F - other ppl

If you are going to spark people regulary/on CD, get a Demon/Sage spark. It has 15 sec CD instead of 60 sec.
    Achievment unlocked: Lagg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I know why you cry, but it is something I can never do.
  • LongWushi - Heavens Tear
    LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Can I ask what the heck happened that venos never spark me when I put up BB? I would expect a L90+ veno to know that if I'm putting up BB it would be nice to get a spark, especially if I'm expected to keep moving the bubble. In all of my BH squads and FF squads (haven't run TT too much lately) whenever I put up BB I'm left to foot the bill for my own sparks. Yes, I do have Cloud Eruption on my genie, but I have to wait a long time for it to recover, especially if I have to HP to follow the tank. Once in a very, very long while will a veno remember to spark me.

I disagree with your statement about Sins needing sparks. They don't. 1. The attack Rising Dragon Strike grants 1.5 sparks. 2. Maxed out Inner Harmony grants 2 sparks. 3. Tackling Slash grants half a spark. 4. If they really need it (and aren't acting as tanks) they can use Shadow Escape to gain a full spark. Besides, by the time one of the better two spark skills coolsdown the other is ready to use. I have Cloud Eruption on my sin's genie too, she never needs a spark.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Can I ask what the heck happened that venos never spark me when I put up BB? I would expect a L90+ veno to know that if I'm putting up BB it would be nice to get a spark, especially if I'm expected to keep moving the bubble. In all of my BH squads and FF squads (haven't run TT too much lately) whenever I put up BB I'm left to foot the bill for my own sparks. Yes, I do have Cloud Eruption on my genie, but I have to wait a long time for it to recover, especially if I have to HP to follow the tank. Once in a very, very long while will a veno remember to spark me.

There could be a couple things to this:

1. You run with the noob venos who don't know about Lending Hand.
    2. The veno decided it wasn't necessary.
    3. It's still on cooldown (pre-99, the cooldown is 1 minute.)

If there's a long period between when you should be putting up BB, then there's really no point to sparking the cleric as they are expected to regain that chi through healing/attacking/debuffing/etc. That goes for both bh's and higher level FF squads. The priority of who gets sparks should be dependent upon the instance and the squad. If someone is being lazy they get fewer sparks. If someone is doing great and it would benefit the squad to spark them, they get more sparks.
    edited May 2011
    The veno didn't spark anyone, period. She didn't use Hood or Nova, so it wasn't like the sparks were productive. Although once or twice they used Frozen Scarab (I don't remember the name for the water skill - I never use it). Or they didn't use sparking stuff at all and failed as DD too (which happened today in BHs). I just miss that when I was leveling my veno it was expected that you gave the cleric a spark in case of an accident after BB went up. Everyone else came second.
    edited May 2011
    The veno didn't spark anyone, period. She didn't use Hood or Nova, so it wasn't like the sparks were productive. Although once or twice they used Frozen Scarab (I don't remember the name for the water skill - I never use it).

you are describing a failveno, someone whose playing skills are so deficient i'd have to wonder if they even completed their 59 culti and got their second spark.

(i believe i've used my frozen scarab exactly once, to see what it looked like. and i've since forgotten, it's been so long...)
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The veno didn't spark anyone, period. She didn't use Hood or Nova, so it wasn't like the sparks were productive. Although once or twice they used Frozen Scarab (I don't remember the name for the water skill - I never use it). Or they didn't use sparking stuff at all and failed as DD too (which happened today in BHs). I just miss that when I was leveling my veno it was expected that you gave the cleric a spark in case of an accident after BB went up. Everyone else came second.

At 90+, you shouldn't need to be using BB left and right and veno should be using Nova. I feel lucky if a veno has a Herc, and uses amp and Ironwood. Too many seem to think we want them around as decoration, and not enough squad leaders kick them for it.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited May 2011
    tweakz wrote: »
    At 90+, you shouldn't need to be using BB left and right and veno should be using Nova. I feel lucky if a veno has a Herc, and uses amp and Ironwood. Too many seem to think we want them around as decoration, and not enough squad leaders kick them for it.

I seem to get fail squads. In Brim or Eden I have to set up BB two or three times because somehow we end drawing 5+ mobs. Occasionally I go to Abba/SoT or Metal/Fire, but in the 99s is generally only have to BB at the bosses (when they aren't the interrupt bosses). In my BH Eden/79 the veno had a herc and sometimes that was all that was DDing. Reminds me of yesterday when I was in 79 and we had a barb stand around with his thumb up his butt until the bosses were almost dead. I don't get how people don't know how to play their classes at all or just fail hardcore at it. I kinda get it, with the plvling now, but I would think (and hope) that they knew a little bit about the class they played. Maybe I am putting too much faith in people.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I seem to get fail squads. In Brim or Eden I have to set up BB two or three times because somehow we end drawing 5+ mobs. Occasionally I go to Abba/SoT or Metal/Fire, but in the 99s is generally only have to BB at the bosses (when they aren't the interrupt bosses). In my BH Eden/79 the veno had a herc and sometimes that was all that was DDing. Reminds me of yesterday when I was in 79 and we had a barb stand around with his thumb up his butt until the bosses were almost dead. I don't get how people don't know how to play their classes at all or just fail hardcore at it. I kinda get it, with the plvling now, but I would think (and hope) that they knew a little bit about the class they played. Maybe I am putting too much faith in people.

I used to love Barbs, but now it seems they're worse than venos on avg. No other class gos AFK as much. There are still some great Barbs in the game, but for the most part they're played by people taking advantage of their rarity.

I also see that squads lately are very cleric unfriendly. -That is squads and not just the veno. Barbs will play aggro pong when they should realize they can't hold aggro. Assassins will steal aggro knowing it will kill them just to show off. Archers and wizards will steal aggro just to show off, and cause bosses/ mobs to move (slowing down melee DD and causing repeat AoE).

It's no wonder I favor solo classes. I like group dynamics but sometimes it's just too many idiots.

Before doing Happy Valley runs in RB: Spark the cleric (after BB)! You don't need the freakin sparks for the runs, and the quest isn't even available until a bit after the time the first wave is destroyed! Sometimes the BB goes down for whatever reason (has to move it, gets interrupted, etc).
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Thayl - Heavens Tear
    Thayl - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Before doing Happy Valley runs in RB: Spark the cleric (after BB)! You don't need the freakin sparks for the runs, and the quest isn't even available until a bit after the time the first wave is destroyed! Sometimes the BB goes down for whatever reason (has to move it, gets interrupted, etc).
    Yeah i wait to spark cleric in RB culti for maps and squad members star saying, Veno runs? why veno dont start run? veno still here?. so i laugh n start doing the runs b:chuckle