How are you connected to PWI?

With ALL the QQing about DCing and blaming the servers, I became curious about what sort of internet connection you guys have. (Note that 95% of the time DC's have nothing to do with the PWI servers, but rather a router between the player and PWI.)

So, Vote on your connection type/speed and if I've missed what yours it, Select Other and post what connection you have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by SylenThunder - Twilight Temple on

Comments

• Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    1.5mbps DSL line.

Max download: 150kbps
    Max Upload: 13kbps

Upload isn't proportional VS 99.9% of most 1.5MB DSL line's, however my ISP sucks. Glad I'm not paying for this Internet connection.
  • Fluxal - Dreamweaver
    Fluxal - Dreamweaver Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    With ALL the QQing about DCing and blaming the servers, I became curious about what sort of internet connection you guys have. (Note that 95% of the time DC's have nothing to do with the PWI servers, but rather a router between the player and PWI.)

So, Vote on your connection type/speed and if I've missed what yours it, Select Other and post what connection you have.

Very true, I tracked a lot of my problems down to a Road Runner Router 2 hops outside of the East Coast Servers. This also explains why some ppl get d/c, and some dont. I opened a ticket with RR about the router, and escalated to 3rd level b4 anyone understood me, but I have yet to see any improvement.

PWI also has a gateway router with issues too, I dont know which ISP's other than Roadrunner use this gateway, but when it acts up, I get a lot of d/c due to packet loss. It could be trafffic load, or it could be a lack of memory in the router itself...not sure, but she's definately got problems.

PS: if anyone is curious enough to want info on how to check these things, pls send me a pm. I dont want to post it here and encourage tons of ppl to ping the **** out of the server ;)
    And I will strike down on thee with great vengeance and furious anger...the life you thought you led is gone, and your catshop is on an island surrounded by dinosaurs.
  • Drazomyst - Dreamweaver
    Drazomyst - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ~16 Mbps ADSL connection.
    [Retired from PWI]
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I use my Sprint cell phone. Mostly 3G speeds at 1.3 Mbps. If I were with a group of PWI players with laptops I'll set up my phone as a mobile hotspot and turn on 4G for up to 7 Mbps connection speed and play outdoors with fresh air in a park. I can be pretty mobile when I want to.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • NOTREAL - Archosaur
    NOTREAL - Archosaur Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ~3Mb p/s Down 50k up ADSL.

It know when its me that DCs, cos everything else does too. Theres something along the way thats ****ing with us, or its the servers. Or both.
  • Shandaar - Dreamweaver
    Shandaar - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    5MB ADSL2 connection. ISP: Radioactif.

Only DC I had, that was either server-side or node-side... was last Friday (the 13th). I haven't felt the need to check my ping - I'm usually fine on that... to me anyways - so even less the routing nodes.

Ack, lunch break over. DX
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    uh.. where's the option for fios?
  • FrozenPhire - Lost City
    FrozenPhire - Lost City Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    12mbps fibre optic line b:dirty
  • ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear
    ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    (Note that 95% of the time DC's have nothing to do with the PWI servers, but rather a router between the player and PWI.)

That was a 100% POOMA assertion, and you know it.

\Pulled Out Of My *ss
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    im connected through the internet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2011
    uh.. where's the option for fios?

Whoops, that was supposed to fall under the 30+, which I incorrectly typed. I was supposed to put 20+.

Speaking of FIOS, I need to see if they offer that for me yet. Seems like they ran the fiber out here last summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slipper_E - Heavens Tear
    Slipper_E - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    3 Mbps↓ / 3Mbps↑ RF Broadband... sadly we don't have fios where I live b:surrender
  • Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver
    Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    About the dc rate,I've seen a lot of people dc often like me but the problem is not PW servers
    as you speak.It's because of weak net signal or using WI-FI like me.
    I've been dcing a lot till I get to 100 with WI_FI but HEY! I reached my goal.
    Long ago in a distant land,I Aku the shape shifting master of gods
    unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.Before the final blow was stroked I do opened a portal in time and send him into the future were my evil is grown.Now the fool seems to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SirHammer - Heavens Tear
    SirHammer - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    It's kinda odd, i got 12Mbps / 6Mpbs fiber-optic and average ping to the server ~600ms. Plus occasional game freeze for 5-15s. And the way I see it it's gettin worse after every big maint.

Edit: I know connecting from Europe instantly adds at least 200ms but ping to ALL european servers is <50ms So to PWi I should be expecting ~300ms

Think servers are just starting to struggle with all the new features. So PWE, maybe it's time to get new, more powerful ones...
  • Barber - Heavens Tear
    Barber - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I still use my WebTV...it rocks ;p
    Barbarian(Barber)=104
    Cleric(MysticFrost)=104
    BM(TooCold)=104
    Seeker(TiltedKilt)=104
    Assassin(Spongeworthy)=104
    Veno(UnZipped)=103
  • Kathikins - Dreamweaver
    Kathikins - Dreamweaver Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    100 Mb/s symmetric!

Ping time to PW is 80-280ms.

MITnet is nice.
  • Barber - Heavens Tear
    Barber - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    here try this...it's a decent way to test dont know how accurate it is :p
    http://www.att.com/speedtest/
    Barbarian(Barber)=104
    Cleric(MysticFrost)=104
    BM(TooCold)=104
    Seeker(TiltedKilt)=104
    Assassin(Spongeworthy)=104
    Veno(UnZipped)=103
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I can tell you this right now, most of the time somone's complaing about the servers, it's not the servers cause me and everyone else i play with are fine as ALWAYS....... If it's the SERVERS, EVERYONE'S going to be dc'ing. Take that last DDoS attack as a good example. lol 99% of the time it's something like somone already mentioned on the first page, a ... node between u and PWI that has nothing to do with PW. Hell at least one person on this thread voted they have dial up still..... lol I just got a new USB dialup modem to go with my new laptop i just got. So that when i go to grandma's (and the rest of the family) for 2 weeks each year (I'm in miami they're in W. Virginia) I can get online at grannys. Now i dont' have to drag half my rooom up to W Vir. (my desktop, the monitor... etc etc etc.... XD). lol But I tested the modem soon as i got it. Within 2 MINUTES of being on and in just NORTH arch i dc'ed lol I NEVER dc, but i did on dial up within a couple minutes, TWICE. FYI i went in best performance after that while in arch and it stopped dc'ing, but ya this thread makes me wonder....

How many of u people complaing about dc'ing all the time (that live in the US) are still on DIAL UP? lol
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Sylen, you wrote in another thread that it was some router hub in New York (or something like this) that was affecting player connection to some of PWI's servers.

I was wondering how you came to know this?

I've been experiencing increased lag spikes for about 1 month now.

I considered that it might have been a PWI server issue bit when I found out that only some people experienced issues and not others then it probably would have been a routing issue between me and Dreamweaver as a lot of the other websites I access work with no issues.

Tried doing ping requests to Dreamweaver (pwieast2.perfectworld.com) which always time out and traceroutes which never seem to return a great deal of information about the route taken.

With traceroute, the last discernable hop is to an IP address associated / belonging to Internap (border1.pc2-bbnet2.nyj001.pnap.net). Everything else after that is request timed out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    4.47 mbs down

.31 mbs up

My internet is usually pretty good, it's just my computer's graphics card that lags me b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Just did the test...

download: 7.607 mb/s
    upload: 818 kb/s
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Alys_Mystic - Archosaur
    Alys_Mystic - Archosaur Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    1mbps down
    30kb/s up
    i had feelings that this is even WORSE than what you guys have
    and this is what i call as indonesia
    even the governor-made cable connection is not better than the other wireless modems
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    LOLWAT 6+MBPS cable, and 12MBPS DSL? Those are... Sorta reversed.

Fastest DSL you can get here is like 3 MBPS ADSL. It's 3 down, 128k up.

Cable goes up to 15 MBPS... Usually about 5 up, 15 down. Though, I haven't looked lately, they might be up to 20 MBPS.

And Satellite, which is either one of two things, will be 1-3 MBPS down, 56k up for DISH, or 5 MBPS down, 64k up for upgraded DISH. Actual Satellite will be... Around 56k down, 12k up. BOTH Dish and actual Satellite will be effected VERY heavily by weather. Raining? Bad signal, slow speeds, game DC's. Thunderstorm? Kiss your internet goodbye.

And there's cellular based, which will be equivalent to your 3G or 4G phone network, which ever it uses. Slightly more reliable than Satellite (DISH or ground to space Satellite), but a thunderstorm can still knock you off the network.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Drazomyst - Dreamweaver
    Drazomyst - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Cable goes up to 15 MBPS... Usually about 5 up, 15 down. Though, I haven't looked lately, they might be up to 20 MBPS.

And Satellite, which is either one of two things, will be 1-3 MBPS down, 56k up for DISH, or 5 MBPS down, 64k up for upgraded DISH. Actual Satellite will be... Around 56k down, 12k up. BOTH Dish and actual Satellite will be effected VERY heavily by weather. Raining? Bad signal, slow speeds, game DC's. Thunderstorm? Kiss your internet goodbye.

And there's cellular based, which will be equivalent to your 3G or 4G phone network, which ever it uses. Slightly more reliable than Satellite (DISH or ground to space Satellite), but a thunderstorm can still knock you off the network.

In my country, ADSL can take you upto 24 Mbps (with ADSL2+ to be precise), but most get less than half of that. Mine is 16 Mbps downstream and 1.1 Mbps upstream and I can asure you it's ADSL.
    [Retired from PWI]
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2011

Yes, it doesn't matter how you stack your speed with Dish, satellite internet sucks for MMO's. That and the limit on poll options is why I only gave it one entry. Whether 3G or 4G, I don't consider cellular to be any more reliable so I did not bother to list it. =P

DSL is offered at speeds up to 24M down and 6M up where I am. And I live out in the country. Sure my house is close to the CO, but the CO is at least 10 miles from the nearest hub to connect to. We didn't even have DSL until two years or so ago. It was either cable or satellite.

When I had cable a couple of years ago, I got 12Mbps down 2Mbps up. They currently offer 20Mbps down and 4Mbps up, or 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up where I live. 6 is the standard though, and because of selection limitation, that's where I left cable. DSL just has way more options, and I expanded it more because I felt that it was a more likely basis for how PWI users connect. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aranarwa - Heavens Tear
    Aranarwa - Heavens Tear Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    im connected through the internet

^ I lolled

My connection:
    73Mbps up and 90Mbps down b:victory
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder b:chuckle
  • ClericMD - Lost City
    ClericMD - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    4 Mbps Cable
    500 kbps dpwnstream
    125 kbps upstream

btw telemex sucks.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    our connection:

two rusty cans and a string.b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    24 down, 6 up supposedly.

The average is actually around 18 down, 1 up most of the time.

Edit: Cable connection through Charter Media.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die