The Psychology in Perfect World Intl

Lu$t - Sanctuary
Lu$t - Sanctuary Posts: 1,005 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Alrighty, time for another serious post (is that even possible from me? xD). I allow people to think as they will while conducting my own "studies" which may seem "erratic" at times but have been effective in my understanding of people. True I'm only 19, but a life not spent pondering is not a life worth living for myself. But after 2 years+ on this game, I believe this game is a huge breeding ground on a psychological level. I'm no psychiatrist and I haven't had any study really in this area. My points are unorganized but they resemble my thoughts. Perhaps this is all "common sense" to most of you reading. Allow me to further explain in detail if I may.

This game tends to either put a person in a very ignorant state or in a more enlightened mood. The mass populace is but a small sample of this world we live in. Everyone knows the fact this is a game. What most won't admit either through sheer ignorance or stubbornness, is that no matter in which way, this game affects your real life. Another thought is, we're NO different then the real world. Listening to so many stories, I start to put together the fact that we come to this game to escape something. Whether it be boredom, a bad marriage, a bad life in general, or even what we would consider a "perfect" life. That much we do have common. I'm still going off this theory I've been observing, whether there is an absolute or not, and so far have only concluded paradoxes.

Whilst observing the mass of the player base, I've found the subjects players tend to instantaneously repulse compared to subjects most tend to relate with. People feel a lot more comfortable when you can relate to them on even the most basic level. This is how damage is dealt on the mind. As a friend told me not too long ago:

"Computer mediate communication is a field of research when a mind reads the text they receive from another, it lacks several things inflection, facial expression body language
so it fills it in best as it can sometimes to incorrect conclusions, this is the obvious thing
however
more importantly
when a person meets someone through a paradigm of viewing them positively
they often form incorrect idealizations of the person in their head
the theory is that the relationship can attain "closeness" faster
but it takes longer to really KNOW the person"

But it leaves so many more questions doesn't it? It feels as though it is both true, but then it isn't. Or perhaps we're more subjective to "mind games" then we'd like to think.

I've had a few talks with friends who saw past my little games of "playing the pervy guy" and we had a long discussion. There's a fair amount of players who have more psychological walls then the rest, that's a given. But it's this sort of...thought process that makes them all the more interesting. We're both alike but different in oh so many ways. I used to be ignorant (still am in many aspects) about thinking I was the only one that tried to learn the other person before they could understand me. It still proves quite effective. But these people tend to be more...fragile I suppose. Or maybe not fragile but hardened. Whichever you prefer. Once someone penetrates that fortress however, you realize how, no matter HOW hard you try, you're still subjective to what is generalized as "Mind f.cking".

Perhaps this is why I find anyone who states an absolute, or "knows everything" so humorous and worth observing. How can you be so sure you know something, or for that fact, anything? How can you be certain what reality is? What many tend to not speak of and perhaps fear, is the mere fact of Subjectivity. Nothing is what it seems but it's all what it appears to be. Of course, one might think of trying to be an Existentialist. If that keeps the sanctuary of your mind intact, then by all means delude yourself with it. But we're all subjective to Subjectivity whether we like it or not. In a sense, we were never in control. But perhaps, the blissful ignorance we live in is what keeps this giant circle of life going.

Sorry for the poor organization but yes, this concludes my concurrent ideology on the subject. Feel free to comment, discuss, or ask any question pertaining to the post. To answer the question that I'm sure one person may be thinking, yes I have some free time this morning. But I didn't formulate this hypothesis in one morning lol There's a reason I can't sleep (and no it's not because I'm thinking about this game).

If you read this all, you have my sincere gratitude.

Sincerely,
~Lu$t

P.S. - I hope this is in the right section of the forum xD;
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero~
Post edited by Lu$t - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I read it all. Quite the thinker, you are. May I add that over 80% of the PWI servers population is infact ADDICTED to this "game" ?

It isn't merely a game, it's more of a chatroom for people to socialize in. Let's face it, if people REALLY wanted to play a game, as in...A REALLY GOOD ONE (not this pile of bugs), they would have played an offline story-based RPG, with better graphics, no bugs, no packs, and no ****-colored horses.

Then again...we all gotta feed these tired, routine-stricken minds, right ? So what do you do ?

You log on to Perfect World, ignoring EVERYTHING that upsets you about it, having a good time with your friends only to come and rage about it on the forums WHEN YOU'RE NOT playing. Don't tell me you're not having a great time when you see that ****-colored horse in the game, you actually smile, because it's damn funny.

As Lu$t stated, it's common sense to most of us. No difficult psychology behind it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • So_Sick_Er - Raging Tide
    So_Sick_Er - Raging Tide Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Very well thought out in many aspects..however some of the things that you yourself mentioned contradicts with the message you're trying to convey.
    Good job nonetheless. i love it xD
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    can u say whole speech again in spanish
  • kknboy
    kknboy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Phew! Usually i would think in my head 'gah whats with this block of text?! Too many words!" and then just skip it, but what you wrote was very interesting to read b:pleased. Sooo do you plan on becoming a psychologist, philosopher or perhaps quantum physicists later in life? Quantum physics talks about stuff like how the things around us is reality only because our minds perceive it as our reality. Quantum physics also treats reality as just an illusion. Its a modern science so hopefully there will be a scientific break through and then i can finally teleport to places *cheers*.

Anyways, I have not logged into perfect world for a month though and reason being... schools over.. its summer... lots of other things to do (like BBQ's b:laugh) lol. I usually played perfect world during school semesters because i got sick of studying. That's my reason why i played pw. It makes a good escape when i am too tired to do anything else.

P.s. I did take one psychology class and it would have been a lot more interesting if they made a unit about 'the minds of gamers' and... 'why people become trolls' xD.
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    lol tbh I haven't the slightest idea what I want to do. Psychology, Philosophy and Astronomy/Physics both allude me to a high degree. But so does the medical field rofl xD decisions x.x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Ok a serious post this time,

I think I got the gist of what you are saying, forgive my brain it's capacities are quite limited
    But may I add that many I have met escape to this game for a greater sense of belonging because they have some disability or ailment in real life that prevents them from doing what others can freely do.

I've met quite a few deaf/disabled people and the great thing about seeing whats on the screen is that they don't get judged by that.
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Ok a serious post this time,

I think I got the gist of what you are saying, forgive my brain it's capacities are quite limited
    But may I add that many I have met escape to this game for a greater sense of belonging because they have some disability or ailment in real life that prevents them from doing what others can freely do.

I've met quite a few deaf/disabled people and the great thing about seeing whats on the screen is that they don't get judged by that.

Mmm this is true as well. Through this time of communicative medium, your "actions" and mind is what determines what judgment players will pass on you. Can really learn a lot from just listening from others. More then my simplistic mind could have ever imagine. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I had been talking to Lu$t about this, I find it interesting.
    PWI has two elements in particular, I believe, that contribute to its addictiveness.
    A) an induced sense of drive to improve gear
    B) "teamwork" (I'll explain)
    On each:
    A) The Gearing Up Drive
    When you start a character in PWI, your primary goal is leveling it. The game is open ended enough that you can do this however you see fit. Along the way, you start to need better gear to survive and continue pursuing your leveling goals (whether PvE or PvP server). Once a player has reached end game, the focus shifts to maxing out survivability/DD capacity through gear. Most of the playable end game is oriented towards attaining end game gear. The disparity between +10 and +3 is felt more heavily at end game, as is the disparity between R9 and R8/Vana or below. Add in weekly hyped sales to make you the buyer the "ultimate killing power" (how many times have we heard this phrase?) and the end game player is quickly trapped in a cycle of saving and purchasing. Non APS players are encouraged to make APS characters or Clerics to help fund their mains. Players who take time off find themselves hopelessly behind in gear based on the false benchmarks they create based on perceptions of other players. Thus the player must continuously play (or pay) to keep up.
    B) "Teamwork"
    Here is where the social aspect comes in, and please take this with a grain of salt. A "person" in PWI is an avatar, and should not be considered a real person. We affectionately personify avatars through fashion, mounts, while ignoring the fact that the entire persona is based on different social rules than we face in reality. An Avatar does not need to fear physical repercussions from their actions. An Avatar does not need to fear lasting damage from their wrong doings (in most cases). On the other hand, the person controlling the Avatar is now free to explore social taboos and may choose to do so actively. Trust in this situation is very difficult, but not impossible. Relationships and serious friendships can be formed this way, but they take time. Perception of a false sense of closeness is common, and in some ways necessary for the game to operate.
    At level 19 your first instances becomes available to you which requires a team or help to complete. After this, every 10 levels you need a squad to proceed. Every other level or so an elite boss is given which also requires a squad to kill. FCC/Gamma/Delta/Phoenix all require squads, and TW is a squad based activity. Factions are born of people with united goals who hope to work well together to achieve those goals. However, our access to knowledge of other Avatars is limited to text based communication in most cases, and relationships require frequent communication to maintain quality teamwork and trust. In real life if you see someone too much, you take a break from them. Online, if you take a break from someone it could mean the end of the friendship due to lack of perceived social monotony.
    PWI is not entirely a microcosm of real life. It has different rules and functions in a different way, all the while remaining completely detached from real life. Addicts lose sight that the game is a game. "Heavy Users" rely on the achievements they gain in game to validate their real life existence. The fantasy aspect allows people to do things they never could dream of in real life (FLYING ON KITES?). The game is designed to addict from the start. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on how the player functions alongside the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    So many ways to intake everything we receive >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    lol tbh I haven't the slightest idea what I want to do. Psychology, Philosophy and Astronomy/Physics both allude me to a high degree. But so does the medical field rofl xD decisions x.x

Or if none of those work for you, theres always the chance to try becoming a developer of asian MMORPGs.

We need some that aren't so... well... you know... narrow-minded about what people playing on other versions of their games might want.
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Time to go for a deep reflexion on the subject and try to reply to it in the best way possible.

First of all, you are indeed right. PWI is a game (thus entertainment, a boredom-killer), the kind in which you have to integrate a community. You can act as you see fit, as you can play as a male or a female character, but on top of that, PWI has an extensive possibility of char customization.
    The supposedly main goal of a MMORPG is to lead your character from a total beginner to a savior of the world, destroying many monsters and helping the populace (NPCs) through heroic deeds, even if some quests are rather shady.

Of course, you are not obligated to do that and you can work on the appearance of your char and work on his/her possessions. Other tasks include being a merchant (catshop character) for all eternity or just be an alt to goof off.
    Freedom is there, as long as it does not break rules.

Now, why would people play MMOs?
    One reason would be to explore the world and its possibilities. Another would be to be the best around.
    The one purpose I want to talk about here is the following:
    It would be to interact with others (as in looking for true friends around the world for legitimate reasons. If not, some choose to be a jerk and they enjoy breaking rules and cause grief on others... among other cases). It all revolves around roleplay, consisting in taking the characteristics of the gender and class of char you have chosen and adding a persona to it.
    Will he/she be one with pure intentions, a 'carebear', or on the other side a complete party-pooper (to remain polite), with all variants between the two extremes?

Most amusing is that some expressly act in-game in a way they never would in the 'outside world', because they feel they got immunity (until they get reported and banned, muahaha. Oh, sorry). Others will try to make their chars look and act as close as possible to them, or try to emulate someone famous.

As for in-game romance (something I have difficulty to grasp and that I will most likely never experience by choice), some seek some kind of in-game love. Would that perspire into RL? Some aim for it, others just do it for fun. Surprises can be good or not...
    It especially brings disaster when despicable acts are planned behind that chain of actions and intentions.

What else to say? Maybe the idea that MMOs are made to be addicting. That it becomes some 'serious business' and that most players will aim to be the strongest ever and maybe be show-offs (so others feel envious/jealous and invest their cash in turn in the game). The bad side to that is that it creates and maintains greed and a certain wish to hurt others (trolling, griefing, scamming, among others), bringing some decadence to the community.

My final point is that I don't really interact with others. I prefer to go my own way and work hard on my characters, and I do not give them a particular personality. I don't pretend, I don't show off (There is always better out there, for sure... but does it always mean 'respectable'? Not at all in my point of view). You could say I am a loner on purpose. Yet, I know my limits and I know where I am headed and I never regret it.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Ah the subject of love lol Some older folks from when I was leader in Caelestis would remember me always saying "bah! love". never really believe that it was possible lol but its one of those rare but unexplainable things that just..happen. lol to this day we both still wonder how it happened when we both didn't think it would. irony XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Time to go for a deep reflexion on the subject and try to reply to it in the best way possible.

First of all, you are indeed right. PWI is a game (thus entertainment, a boredom-killer), the kind in which you have to integrate a community. You can act as you see fit, as you can play as a male or a female character, but on top of that, PWI has an extensive possibility of char customization.
    The supposedly main goal of a MMORPG is to lead your character from a total beginner to a savior of the world, destroying many monsters and helping the populace (NPCs) through heroic deeds, even if some quests are rather shady.

Of course, you are not obligated to do that and you can work on the appearance of your char and work on his/her possessions. Other tasks include being a merchant (catshop character) for all eternity or just be an alt to goof off.
    Freedom is there, as long as it does not break rules.

Now, why would people play MMOs?
    One reason would be to explore the world and its possibilities. Another would be to be the best around.
    The one purpose I want to talk about here is the following:
    It would be to interact with others (as in looking for true friends around the world for legitimate reasons. If not, some choose to be a jerk and they enjoy breaking rules and cause grief on others... among other cases). It all revolves around roleplay, consisting in taking the characteristics of the gender and class of char you have chosen and adding a persona to it.
    Will he/she be one with pure intentions, a 'carebear', or on the other side a complete party-pooper (to remain polite), with all variants between the two extremes?

Most amusing is that some expressly act in-game in a way they never would in the 'outside world', because they feel they got immunity (until they get reported and banned, muahaha. Oh, sorry). Others will try to make their chars look and act as close as possible to them, or try to emulate someone famous.

As for in-game romance (something I have difficulty to grasp and that I will most likely never experience by choice), some seek some kind of in-game love. Would that perspire into RL? Some aim for it, others just do it for fun. Surprises can be good or not...
    It especially brings disaster when despicable acts are planned behind that chain of actions and intentions.

What else to say? Maybe the idea that MMOs are made to be addicting. That it becomes some 'serious business' and that most players will aim to be the strongest ever and maybe be show-offs (so others feel envious/jealous and invest their cash in turn in the game). The bad side to that is that it creates and maintains greed and a certain wish to hurt others (trolling, griefing, scamming, among others), bringing some decadence to the community.

My final point is that I don't really interact with others. I prefer to go my own way and work hard on my characters, and I do not give them a particular personality. I don't pretend, I don't show off (there is always better out there, for sure). You could say I am a loner on purpose. Yet, I know my limits and I know where I am headed and I never regret it.

I knew I find you here xD. I have found a way to get on the net :D. You still play PW dude? I really would love to play that again. (Not on my computer btw)
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    Ah the subject of love lol Some older folks from when I was leader in Caelestis would remember me always saying "bah! love". never really believe that it was possible lol but its one of those rare but unexplainable things that just..happen. lol to this day we both still wonder how it happened when we both didn't think it would. irony XD

It sincerely depends on the context. You could always find your soulmate online (if it's your goal), but well, it's much harder in a MMO.
    It is because not only some like to play as female characters and act like one... and inadvertantly charm guys in the process, while they are male in RL. -Always confirm the truth first if you seek love! I repeat, always confirm the truth first!-
    (Manipulation of minds and intended scamming/brainwashing is another topic that I will not talk about here)

Another point I talked about is indeed pretending. Some are pros in creating totally different personae for each of their creations. I could never do that.

And yes, you have to be really cautious if all you want is to look for your chosen one. As some will only do it for fun, better ask serious stuff from the very start if you are into that kind of stuff. That can backlash into one saying he/she is already taken or you being called a creep... b:laugh Well, better that than hoping for too much and fall from your 'little cloud nine'.
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I completely agree with what you said about pwi filling something in in real life that's lacking.
    I personally just moved 1500 miles away from all my friends and my parents to be with the love of my life. I have no job, (can't get one) no school, no friends. I play PWI even more so now than when I was with friends irl because I'm filling in that void I have.

For the most part, I'm the same in game as I am irl, but I'm a lot more outgoing because being face to face with an in game avatar is a lot less intimidating than doing it for real. You may or may not believe it, but I'm actually pretty shy, bordering on anti social sometimes. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    I knew I find you here xD. I have found a way to get on the net :D. You still play PW dude? I really would love to play that again. (Not on my computer btw)

Haha, yeah, it's good to see you are well. I replied on your own thread, btw.
    I still play it indeed, but really casually now... working on my characters and harvesting... the usual.

Yup, I hope you can play PW again in the near future.

You've been missed, trollbro. b:laugh

P.S.: Hey, don't hijack threads if you are not going to participate in them... And then... 'You got mail!' b:laugh
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    I completely agree with what you said about pwi filling something in in real life that's lacking.
    I personally just moved 1500 miles away from all my friends and my parents to be with the love of my life. I have no job, (can't get one) no school, no friends. I play PWI even more so now than when I was with friends irl because I'm filling in that void I have.

For the most part, I'm the same in game as I am irl, but I'm a lot more outgoing because being face to face with an in game avatar is a lot less intimidating than doing it for real. You may or may not believe it, but I'm actually pretty shy, bordering on anti social sometimes. b:chuckle

aw xD
    and I hope more people see what you said lesthor. ive seen too many times a guy play a female and take advantage of said "assets". best way to really tell is webcam imo lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    aw xD
    and I hope more people see what you said lesthor. ive seen too many times a guy play a female and take advantage of said "assets". best way to really tell is webcam imo lol

I'd trust no one... It's all a conspiracy.

To get more serious on that, when one you vaguely know is asking you something like: 'Hey baby, please by me this kind of fashion and I love you more *Kiss kiss wink wink*', it's red flag time.
    But dummies fall into that...repeatedly. How desperate.

P.S.: I cannot believe I typed that kind of stuff. As for those who use it for good reasons, well, not my business. b:surrender
    P.P.S.: As for webcams... Acting is too frequent, not good enough as a standalone tool to seek truth. I'd ask for the serious reasons and views on life if I were to seek love. Man, why am I talking about myself? No one cares. lol
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    I'd trust no one... It's all a conspiracy.

To get more serious on that, when one you vaguely know is asking you something like: 'Hey baby, please by me this kind of fashion and I love you more *Kiss kiss wink wink*', it's red flag time.
    But dummies fall into that...repeatedly. How desperate.

P.S.: I cannot believe I typed that kind of stuff. As for those who use it for good reasons, well, not my business. b:surrender
    P.P.S.: As for webcams... Acting is too frequent. I'd ask for the serious reasons and views on life if I were to seek love. Man, why am I talking about myself? No one cares. lol

well put. the mind of a scientist questions everything xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    well put. the mind of a scientist questions everything xD

Hell yes. Until the Absolute Reason of all things is found (meme fans will say '42'), well, keep looking for it.
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    reading over the replies thanks everyone for keeping it serious and also thanks to the nice PMs in game. Much appreciated :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Yuniryu - Raging Tide
    Yuniryu - Raging Tide Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    reading over the replies thanks everyone for keeping it serious and also thanks to the nice PMs in game. Much appreciated :D
    Interesting thread, reminds me of my situtation. Trying to quit here.b:surrenderb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Hi everyone. My name is Paul and I'm a PWIholic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Hiiii Pauuul.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Hiiii Pauuul.

In spite of the recent pack sales, my addiction has only gotten worse. I am now close to reaching 3 APS sparked. My family thinks I should go to rehab, as it's the only way to get rid of this evil addiction. Must...not...get...more...APS... b:faint
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    In spite of the recent pack sales, my addiction has only gotten worse. I am now close to reaching 3 APS sparked. My family thinks I should go to rehab, as it's the only way to get rid of this evil addiction. Must...not...get...more...APS... b:faint

You are lucky.. your addiction hasnt even gotten you 3aps sparked.

Mine carried me to 5aps spark and 4aps unspark as a barb.
    and now i am working already on a 2nd 1. lol

But seriously , i think customisation goes a long way for any mmo. If you can craft the perfect looking character, most probably you will stay for a pretty long time just to enjoy the looks.

Everyone has their idea of perfect, idea of escaping reality and idea of enjoying life.

Mine belong to the area of escaping reality, because thats really all i am doing here.
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011

Well hi there Paul. Just tell your family not to worry. Just tell them PW is srs bsnss xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]