What is your opinion on the best pet?

poppyann
poppyann Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Venomancer
This is my first character, and I've done some research but still not sure what the best pets would be to use for my kind of level (20).

I've read that one person kept a pet they had from a low level and just levelled it up, is this good enough? I still have a Sharptooth wolf I got from a lower level, can't remember which, but Im just wondering if I should ditch it and tame something else more suitable to my level?

Thanks
Post edited by poppyann on

Comments

• Edyn - Dreamweaver
    Edyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Hi there poppyann!

Well, many pets are great..but ofcourse some shine out in their abbilitys. This is my personal opinion as I found out myself by testing many many many pets b:chuckle

On the links I putt in you can see the stats of the pets and where to find them.

Damage: Fast killing =/= Tanking
    I'd like to recommend you the Varicose Scorpion as a great DD pet. DD stands for Damage Dealing. Its a pet that kills very fast and has the highest DPS (Damage Per Second) if you look to the free pets. Ofcourse the Legendary Phoenixstill ahs an even better DPS, buts thats really expensive. So i'd recommend starting with free pets and you can always look later if you want to invest in a Legendary.
    The advantage of a DD pet is that it's easier to let your pet hold agro which keeps you safe from drawing the mobs to yourself, as all know veno is kinda squishy.
    A variation of a DD pet is also the Dark Wanderer, I didnt like it that much cause the scorpion hits harder when using skills, the Wanderer hits harder when you turn skills of.

Tanking: Some Bosses, Aoeing =/= Fast killing
    The best free avaible pet is the Glacial Walker has great HP, Def but it kills slower then the scorpion. I kept mine untill lvl 96 when I got my Hercules and it worked pretty fine.

To draw some conclusions: Actually its best to have both a DD pet as a tanking pet. With a tanking pet you can solo alot more then other chars can at early lvl's. And with a DD pet the grinding and questing goes alot faster.
    Try to keep your pets at your lvl, its very easy in the beginning and then you wont have much to keep up later on.

As a final note I'd like to add that you really have to pick a pet for its stats (and/or skills) cause the look doenst do anything to help you kill mobs. I have a few pets also I just keep with me but they lack the attack off my mains.

But also its you who has to decide what pets are good for you, eventhough their appearance cant be the final decision you still have to like the pet that you're gonna use.

If you have any more questions plz feel free to ask b:cute

Greetz and GL on picking the right pets for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ty Silvychar b:thanks
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    For the lower levels I'd suggest a Glacier Walker for a tank pet, (which is the best until you can get a Herc). and or a Varicose Scorpion, or a Petite Sawfly, (which is the best until a Nix).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • Lorann - Raging Tide
    Lorann - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Briefly going to Echo what's been said by Edyn. Glacial Walker pet which you can get your hands on at lvl 19 is really great for tanking. I actually use a Shadou cub, which is a pain to get as it only spawns once every 12 hours but it's a pet I highly recommend if you can get one . Great for tanking, pretty good for damage and great for luring. (As you get higher in level and have to lure things more frequently a golem tends to take more of a pummeling than is preferred which is why a faster pet comes in handy).

With flying and water pets (Especially water pets) I've found it's easier just to catch a same level pet as and when I need one. I haven't done enough underwater or Flying-combat quests to make leveling up these worth the time it takes. Perhaps that will be different for you.

Anyway I rambled a bit much there. The point I wanted to get to is... whichever land pet you choose it is better to train from an early level rather than replace your pet with one that can be tamed at a higher level. Leveling a pet up will always be stronger than a pet that you tame at a higher level. - I've seen Venos similar levels to me with pets they have recently caught at around the same level and they just don't work as well as my pets that I've had since level 20(ish). - (For those who aren't so new: I don't recall facepalming so hard since seeing a veno spend their whole time during battle with bh51 Wyv doing "summon pet>send-in-to-battle>revive - repeat" because their new pet can't stand a hit or two from wyvs AoE...)
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Gnome sabateur b:shy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Gnome sabateur b:shy

He has been my main pet since I caught him at lvl 17. He's a great DD(He's stolen aggro from a the Herc of a lvl 100 Veno against Ofotis)
    andhis evasion is nice when combined with the accuracy debuff of Befuddling Mist. Nice Mdef as well, though he lacks in Pdef.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ow, i meant cause he picks his nose, then looks at his fingers, then flicks whatever is there off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ow, i meant cause he picks his nose, then looks at his fingers, then flicks whatever is there off.

Oh, you mean because he's cute and adorable and a little macho man in his own way. That's the main reason I use him. Being a decent DD is just icing on the cake.
  • poppyann
    edited May 2011
    Thanks everyone! From what you've all said, Im just about to go try and catch a Glacial walker, and level it up.

All your replies were really helpful, thanks again :)
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    poppyann wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! From what you've all said, Im just about to go try and catch a Glacial walker, and level it up.

All your replies were really helpful, thanks again :)

glacier walker are in the tideborn area. You might need a flyer to reach there. Walking/swimming there is not recommended. b:laugh
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    There is always the teleport servive , the way point to tideborn city is unlocked through ur quests
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    There is always the teleport servive , the way point to tideborn city is unlocked through ur quests

yup that might work. Only 1k fee =)
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • poppyann
    edited May 2011
    Thanks everyone! I used the Teleportation guy, to raging tides and caught one. There seemed
    to be other Venos there catching them too, lol.

Thanks a lot for all your help! I've yet to meet anyone helpful in game yet, so this is appriciated b:chuckle
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    poppyann wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I used the Teleportation guy, to raging tides and caught one. There seemed
    to be other Venos there catching them too, lol.

Thanks a lot for all your help! I've yet to meet anyone helpful in game yet, so this is appriciated b:chuckle

Leave raging tide , come to Heaven tear , Dreamweaver or Sanctuary , much better people there

Tide is good too , just personal server promotion b:laughb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Lorann - Raging Tide
    Lorann - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    lol Plenty of raging tides helpies. Drop me a PM i'm on quite a bit and I probably spend more time helping people than doing my own quests heh. The guild I'm in is nice too, plenty of people always happy to help and we welcome just about anyone so long as they're not a jerk haha
  • Nehru - Heavens Tear
    Nehru - Heavens Tear Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    When you go to get the Glacial walker, you might as well pick up a Cloud skatefish as well.
    They're decent flying pets, and you don't need to be able to fly to get one.
    "It is said that whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. In fact, whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first hand the equivilant of a stick with a fizzing fuse and ACME Dynamite Company written on the side. It's more interesting, and doesn't take so long."
    - Terry Pratchett