I hate the "barbs are worthless" debate. Can someone please help?

Comments

• HellWariorB - Raging Tide
    HellWariorB - Raging Tide Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2011

PS. Yes, if anyone could show me a thread about socketing/refining for a barb 70-90, that would be amazing, thank you. :D

from 70 to 90 you can use TT70 2-3 sockets with +2/+3 refines with flawless until you reach 90 you should switch to TT90
    You can always chose between lvl 70 and 90 the legendary chest and pants they are dirty cheap right now b:victory keep up the good work
  • Congenial - Heavens Tear
    Congenial - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    from 70 to 90 you can use TT70 2-3 sockets with +2/+3 refines with flawless until you reach 90 you should switch to TT90

Thank you for the advice! But can I just check, what kinda gems should I be socketing my armors with? +Mag Def, +Phy Def or +HP? And how will the gems affect my gameplay (if it does affect in the first place).

Never knew a character could be so technical. But it's kinda fun! :D
    Barbs played right are like celebrities, you are welcome in every party - Fistol (Raging Tide)
    You're a fantastic barb, and I'd go anywhere with you - Merria (Heavens Tear)

I'm a chick barb, and I'm proud of it. b:pleased
  • Lulznotwar - Lost City
    Lulznotwar - Lost City Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for the advice! But can I just check, what kinda gems should I be socketing my armors with? +Mag Def, +Phy Def or +HP? And how will the gems affect my gameplay (if it does affect in the first place).

Never knew a character could be so technical. But it's kinda fun! :D

Definitely HP shards in your HH99 or below, you should be able to shard hh90/99 with Immaculates minimum and 80 or below flawless as shards are now SO cheap compared to what they used to. For G13 and above? i'd say Vit if you can afford them, or Jade of Steady Defense or a bit of both its really up to you. Otherwise just immac/perfect citrines as they provide the best scaling out of pdef/mdef as Tigerform/BKI all increase the HP gain
    RIP spoons
    RIP PWI
    The game is dead
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Lulz is right, shard with citrine for the extra hp all the way until end-game. Fuzzy is pretty sure by the time you acquire your Rank/Nirvana/whichever gear you will feel much more confident about your barb and be able to choose whatever you think best by then. However, up until then, citrines are always the safe bet.

That being said, personally, back then Fuzzy sharded his Tauren cape with mag def immacs for touch more defence in that dept. Seemed to work out well.

Also, don't forget, when it comes to your weapon, Amber shards are a barbs best friend. The higher the grade you can get your paws on the better.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    Lulz is right, shard with citrine for the extra hp all the way until end-game. Fuzzy is pretty sure by the time you acquire your Rank/Nirvana/whichever gear you will feel much more confident about your barb and be able to choose whatever you think best by then. However, up until then, citrines are always the safe bet.

That being said, personally, back then Fuzzy sharded his Tauren cape with mag def immacs for touch more defence in that dept. Seemed to work out well.

Also, don't forget, when it comes to your weapon, Amber shards are a barbs best friend. The higher the grade you can get your paws on the better.

Don't forget Misty Forrest Rings. Those things are a god-send for barbs.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide
    X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Lol at this thread...
    Really? Why does it facking matter?..Barbs are still needed, it just becomes less at 90+...
    They're great for TW...and if they're claw, well, they kill the boss faster. BMs and Sins are great too but yeah...
    Get over it man
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Barbs tanking? That's silly these days.
    Just move aside and let the archers take over. b:victory

http://i.imgur.com/Gce0a.jpg

Don't forget to buff on your way out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited May 2011

As impressed as I am by your ability and tenacity, I do believe that those buffs your character had came from a barb and a cleric.

I rest my case.
    Barbs played right are like celebrities, you are welcome in every party - Fistol (Raging Tide)

• X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide
    X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2011

lol

I'd like to see yah try it without buffs :3
  • CoolRebirth - Archosaur
    CoolRebirth - Archosaur Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The only people that believe that barbs are useless are the ones who will flock to the next big fad as soon as it comes out. You talk about seekers, of BMs and Sins and the like as if they are godly(not saying you, but the philosophical you), I say you're kidding. Sure, the aps can take and hold the aggro really really nice and sure blood paint and 5aps can keep you going for a long *** time. But, you wanna try lessening your damage taken to 90% in a moment's notice? You wanna find a skill you can spam that will keep your squad and the cleric healing your *** alive? And do you want to find skills to make that aps damage and your hp increase? How about crowd control skills that don't cost chi or your genie's stamina? A 100% accurate attack that has a 50+% chance to stun? A skill that deals damaged based ON the hp you have? Or a crowd control bleed skill that heals you up nice and sexy like. Barbs will NEVER be useless. You wanna find another class that has about 6 beastly aoe and can pretty much tank any boss aps or not? And before you answer, remember, way after PWI decides to nerf the new classes or lower the aps or anything like that. A barb will be standing right there, rotfl'ing as he takes his place back as the true tank of pwi. Before r9 and Sins, before Seekers and Aps. Before those cute little herc venos(like Nevaleah on Archosaur XD) There was the barb, baddest looking **** to run around naked on all fours.

BARBS FOR THE WIN!
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Barbs will always be wanted in every aspect of the game. Not necessarily "needed" though.

Every class has it's use, whatever build path they choose, the people who say otherwise are just narrow minded and imo don't deserve to be squaded with b:cute

Just remember to play a barb how YOU want to play it, not how others want or expect you to.
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    Dagnatic - Sanctuary Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The only people that believe that barbs are useless are the ones who will flock to the next big fad as soon as it comes out. You talk about seekers, of BMs and Sins and the like as if they are godly(not saying you, but the philosophical you), I say you're kidding. Sure, the aps can take and hold the aggro really really nice and sure blood paint and 5aps can keep you going for a long *** time. But, you wanna try lessening your damage taken to 90% in a moment's notice? You wanna find a skill you can spam that will keep your squad and the cleric healing your *** alive? And do you want to find skills to make that aps damage and your hp increase? How about crowd control skills that don't cost chi or your genie's stamina? A 100% accurate attack that has a 50+% chance to stun? A skill that deals damaged based ON the hp you have? Or a crowd control bleed skill that heals you up nice and sexy like. Barbs will NEVER be useless. You wanna find another class that has about 6 beastly aoe and can pretty much tank any boss aps or not? And before you answer, remember, way after PWI decides to nerf the new classes or lower the aps or anything like that. A barb will be standing right there, rotfl'ing as he takes his place back as the true tank of pwi. Before r9 and Sins, before Seekers and Aps. Before those cute little herc venos(like Nevaleah on Archosaur XD) There was the barb, baddest looking **** to run around naked on all fours.

BARBS FOR THE WIN!
    you forgot one...
    Want every female Player in the game hitting on you?
  • Skippy - Dreamweaver
    Skippy - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Poor Tigey Wigey! Crack your knuckles all you want... I'm not intimidated in the least and I can return fire. YOU may be on a server where barbs are still gods. Barbs on my server suck! Aps barbs have **** for HP, still can't tank, and still have awful damage. I'm the one stuck saving their pathetic bums whether it's on my veno or my cleric. I have not seen a barb tank for squat if a bm or a sin is in the squad. I'm sick of it. I don't care what you think of my opinion about tanking barbs vs aps. I made it based off of what I see in my server. If you are going to educate some morons, educate the barbs who rolled a fail bm with tiger stripes. I have played long enough (3yrs) to know good players when I see them. I'll educate your moronic bum.

ehm i been here for almost 3 years, im 5.00 demon barb and i have 18k HP human form :p
    bring me a full vit barb who can tank as safe and fast as me

sure you can say that we are fail BMs with stripes, but at least i can farm and get my stuff done. on top of that i have more HP then most vit barbs.

im 5.00 and concidered 1 of the best barbs here on my server b:bye
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ehm i been here for almost 3 years, im 5.00 demon barb and i have 18k HP human form :p
    bring me a full vit barb who can tank as safe and fast as me

sure you can say that we are fail BMs with stripes, but at least i can farm and get my stuff done. on top of that i have more HP then most vit barbs.

b:irritated If people will actually take the time to READ what I'm saying everyone would see that I'm talking about MY SERVER. Not Dreamweaver. Not Raging Tides. Not Sanctuary or any of the others. I'm talking about the fail aps demon barbs I have met on my own server.
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    b:irritated If people will actually take the time to READ what I'm saying everyone would see that I'm talking about MY SERVER. Not Dreamweaver. Not Raging Tides. Not Sanctuary or any of the others. I'm talking about the fail aps demon barbs I have met on my own server.

seriously there is bound to be one good right? cant be all failed..
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    seriously there is bound to be one good right? cant be all failed..

It's HT. Of course it's full of fail. b:chuckle Er, wait... That's Archo, not HT...

Yeah, there's some good barbs on HT. Just gotta... Get the Catnip out and lure them into the light... Or something.

If you hate your server so much, reroll on another. Go to any server except Archo. Archo is a ghost town, apparently. RT has the trolls, Sanct has the Cash Shoppers (we have at least two FULL R9+12 Barbs with 47k HP so far).
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • BloodyOne - Dreamweaver
    BloodyOne - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ]

and his Peanut Butter has sold and made him millions to Boot b:laugh
    b:shocked no signature
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Every class is worthless because of CSers
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    edited May 2011

BARBS FOR THE WIN!

Well no one really focus on reducing damage taken, just DPS/DPH .
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    It's HT. Of course it's full of fail. b:chuckle Er, wait... That's Archo, not HT...

Yeah, there's some good barbs on HT. Just gotta... Get the Catnip out and lure them into the light... Or something.

If you hate your server so much, reroll on another. Go to any server except Archo. Archo is a ghost town, apparently. RT has the trolls, Sanct has the Cash Shoppers (we have at least two FULL R9+12 Barbs with 47k HP so far).

Every server have problems, not just one... >.>

And people always wanted my mid LVL barb in squads unless for TTs higher than TTs at LVL8x+

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Every server have problems, not just one... >.>

And people always wanted my mid LVL barb in squads unless for TTs higher than TTs at LVL8x+

So people always wanted your barb for 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1...
    edited May 2011
    Sevas can say whatever she wants (or is it a dude playing a veno?) but all I can say is:

I'm an awesome chick barb.

Ever since hitting 8x, I've been asked to go for FF runs, TTs, asked to tank BHs and bosses, and even paid to go on runs with a certain squad. Woohoo. People thank me on world chat for my scary pulls and I'm one happy tigger. :D

So yes, I am awesome. b:pleased

• Fistol - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Sevas can say whatever she wants (or is it a dude playing a veno?) but all I can say is:

Ever since hitting 8x, I've been asked to go for FF runs, TTs, asked to tank BHs and bosses, and even paid to go on runs with a certain squad. Woohoo. People thank me on world chat for my scary pulls and I'm one happy tigger. :D

So yes, I am awesome. b:pleased

I am in your sig. b:chuckle

Someone commented he was on the same level as me [75] , one day i suddenly disappear from his radar and ends up 101 when he is just 80~90 range.[obviously exaggerated but none the less.. its good to hear stuff like that.]

Its a bit hard not to level when there are people waiting for you to login, people refusing other FCs just to go with you. People whom refuse to party people their level because waiting for you is worth it despite the nerf. Sometimes you have to run 2 FC instead of 1 because there is another group waiting right outside.

I wouldnt say i am pro, i am far from it. But what i want to communicate is Barbs are needed here, its no where near useless as stated. Learn what you need to be doing, you will find yourself the center of attraction in no time.

and for those who cant find a good barb, take time to teach the one near you.
    Most barb play this class knowing that they will take hits for everyone. They played knowing it will mean lots of repair cost and they keep it going. I can say this in general, barbs and clerics are some of the nicest people you will find in pwi if it is their first choice.
    Going for
    While waiting
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    Dagnatic - Sanctuary Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I can say this in general, barbs and clerics are some of the nicest people you will find in pwi if it is their first choice.
    Exactly... and 95% of the time.. the biggest flirts =P i try not to hit on my female's in my squads.. but my white fluffy coats like a magnet and it cant help my self.. i guess.. im an addict...

mind you.. im one of those nooby barbs, that Hates FCC, And doesn't really want to BH unless he has another fellow barb in the squad with him... oh and CS's are to expensive.. im a barb.. 30k's alot for not much exp.

Enough about me though

barbs are far from useless... im sorry.. but from 40-80 id like to see any BM or Sin tank as well as a barb... or even survive more than 3 hits from a boss with no heals, the other day i was doing a 1-3, last boss, son of a gun decided that he wanted all his whatsama callems with the tree stump[s to come and kill the whole squad... cleric got healer agro, and before i could rawr they were out of my rawr range... and the whole squad wiped.. except me and the sin.. (because he decided it would be a good time to go invis) i Managed to hold my own against that sucker for a couple of mins, spamming Crab meat, ToP, and hitting the dang thing like crazy after the whole squad died... truth is no other class can take a hit like a barb. non.. for the first 90 odd levels, you tank, you take the hits... Can a sin or BM do all the pulls in FCC? no they cant, Can a Sin at lvl 80 tank BH69, i doubt it, the AoE would get em in 2 seconds... Nothing compares to a barb, nothing
  • Watain - Raging Tide
    Watain - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2011

barbs are far from useless... im sorry.. but from 40-80 id like to see any BM or Sin tank as well as a barb... or even survive more than 3 hits from a boss with no heals, the other day i was doing a 1-3, last boss, son of a gun decided that he wanted all his whatsama callems with the tree stump[s to come and kill the whole squad... cleric got healer agro, and before i could rawr they were out of my rawr range... and the whole squad wiped.. except me and the sin.. (because he decided it would be a good time to go invis) i Managed to hold my own against that sucker for a couple of mins, spamming Crab meat, ToP, and hitting the dang thing like crazy after the whole squad died... truth is no other class can take a hit like a barb. non.. for the first 90 odd levels, you tank, you take the hits... Can a sin or BM do all the pulls in FCC? no they cant, Can a Sin at lvl 80 tank BH69, i doubt it, the AoE would get em in 2 seconds... Nothing compares to a barb, nothing

No, Barbs aren't useless. But the thing is, as soon as all the DD's you spent your time in FC/TT/whatever with hit 100 and are able to solo, you are basically out of the picture. It seems that most people tend to forget that without us Barbs, they would probably still be stuck on BH69 or FC. Unless of course somebody needs Delta or our sexy buffs, then they are all over us lol

However, I've tried most classes by now, and yet I always seem to end up back on my Barb. There's no better feeling than being the last man standing...

Barbs ftw b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Of course I'll say whatever I want. I just can't swear when I do it. I am female.

I'm glad you're doing so well, but please note that I was talking about barbs that were much bigger than you when you started the thread. Every now and then I do come across a barb miraculously knows how to tank a pull or a boss. They are few and far between and I let them know it when we squad. I'm just tired of everyone being "tanking sucks, must go crazy aps like everyone else!" I see so many barbs do that (granted I probably only see 1% or less, but it is enough to make me grind my teeth with frustration). The barbs who try to swing it without knowing really knowing what they are doing is what irritates me because I'm the one that suffers for it, whether on my cleric or one of my DD classes.

Congrats on making a good barb if so many wish to squad with you. Good luck on your upcoming cultivation with whichever path you choose.
    edited May 2011
    First to Sevas,

I didn't mean that in a bad way. I believe you're entitled to your opinions and I would also like to thank you. Honestly, thanks to your comments about barbs on HT, it was prolly one of the many reasons I stressed myself out learning how to play my character well instead of running in aimlessly.

I remember the many runs that I went to FB19 alone at 80, just to learn how to pull greater mobs and maintain aggro while my wizard friend would AOE and attempt to pull aggro off me. Probably the reason as to why I'm pretty decent at FF now. So thank you sweetie.

To Fistol,

You are/were possibly the only source of encouragement when I first started. Kinda makes me wish I was on Raging Tide, but then again, my toons are all on HT. Wish there was a server transfer stone of some sort. Would love to party with you. :D

Yes you're in my signature because it's so awesome to be reminded that I can be an asset. So thank you for that. I know what you mean. I just had to run an FF just now even though I didn't want to because my friends were begging me to tank it for them. I was the lowest levelled toon, in a squad of 90-94s. It was amazing.

I remember one particular squad. I was with my usual FF members, and I pulled the whole big room and everyone went: OMG CON NOOOOO! But I did it and got my named mentioned in World Chat after that. It's an amazing feeling. I log on and people immediately whisper me to tank something - BH, FF orTT, and sometimes I have to say no cause it gets pretty tiring. But again, I feel quite bad saying no so I end up doing three more runs. LOL. But it's good fun and awesome experience and it's nice laughing with people you met in-game. Thankfully they're not the ones with APS kinda mentality.

Watain brought up an AMAZING point

Sometimes I wish people would remember who was the essential people in their squad from 1-90. DDs are impt but I must say that the bulk of it goes to barbs and clerics. And yet, barbs, clerics and anyone without fists are thrown aside for Nirvana because they want faster runs.

As sad as I am, some friendsof mine told me that when we all hit 100, we're doing Nirvana together. My future as a barb is sealed. I love my barb, more than my veno, more than my cleric, mystic and seeker. :D

Dagnatic is a baaaad boy

Hahaha, I don't know why, but everytime I enter a squad, I must tell them:

HELLO EVERYONE, CHICK BARB HERE.

And all the guys go b:dirty and the girls go b:laugh. Girls claim that female players handle barbs better while males think it's sexy. Either way, it's win win. It's kinda awesome.

In conclusion

All in all, I'm VERY happy with where I am as a barb. I'm thankful that I stuck to it and never gave up - thanks to Fistol, Rawrgh and a few others for their encouragement and push when I first started. I'm thankful for my FF buddies who just keep encouraging me and giving me pointers on how to improve.

Of course, I do meet arses every now and then. There are sins who try to spoil the lure, end up dying and call me a fail barb. There are bms who demon spark, take aggro and die and blame me for not DD-ing enough. There are losers everywhere.

But as barbs, WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO KILL.

I recall tanking BH69 and this demon bm started demon sparking at pole. The cleric was my friend and I didn't like her experiencing aggro ping pong. So I whispered her my plan, stopped using Flesh Ream and watched him die. Then I killed the boss. The BM left the squad immediately after that.

Hahahaha, so yes, it's been an awesome journey. Thank you sweet people. :D

• Fistol - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    @Congenial

Wow you actually did training on your own in FB19? thats really very hardworking.

did my training in FC itself with a bunch of friends, even did a 3 person FC once before lvl 100 just to see how it goes. lol

nowadays i can do duo with an archer, so no more worrying about FC failing due to people leaving. Yeah! b:chuckle

Would love to be able to cross server, too bad pwi dont even have the code to do stuff like that. And it will mess up the economy pretty bad if it happen.

I dont think any class can really replace barb, not while we still have HP buff =x the pure awesomeness of being able to increase your HP by 30%

When i first started as a barb, i have people that encourage me along the way. Just doing my part in making sure future generation of barb feel encourage too.
    Going for
    While waiting
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    When i first started as a barb, i have people that encourage me along the way. Just doing my part in making sure future generation of barb feel encourage too.

It is very important to encourage the "next generation" of barbs. Fuzzy believes that we are already an endangered species and there are many aspects of the game play today that lend to the thinking we will only become more so.

The more we can help each other out the better our entire community of barb brethren will be for it.

b:thanks
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    No, Barbs aren't useless. But the thing is, as soon as all the DD's you spent your time in FC/TT/whatever with hit 100 and are able to solo, you are basically out of the picture. It seems that most people tend to forget that without us Barbs, they would probably still be stuck on BH69 or FC. Unless of course somebody needs Delta or our sexy buffs, then they are all over us lol

This type of treatment has actually helped me improved my barb, rather than wither away.

I'm far more self reliant and self sufficient. More often than not, if I need something and am refused help, I can still get it by myself.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die