Dead barbs Don't Die

Options
Freizer - Lost City
Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Barbarian
So I was bored after finals and this thought came to me. I had fun in this game a few years ago ( no really) and this isn't going to be a "I'm not QQing but still QQing thread"

What I want to know is , who were your barb mentors when you first started out? Who were the tanks that you aspired to be like, and eventually either outlasted or surpassed? I feel it's a shame that all the new barbs don't know some of the old "Greats" that have long gone, and it's rather disheartening.

So post your mentors! your idols! and say why! (please don't nominate yourself >>)

Mine:

Gark (Lost City) - he was the original dex barb, and we all thought he was nuts, never quite made it to sage/demon but he was unstoppable. His idea of Dex was just not missing, not getting up to aps (before aps craze) . It was pretty cool to see him throw on blood bath and destroy my guild leader. He quit in late 2009 and he was also the reason I ended up rolling my special brand of sage.

Nosferatu (Lost City) - He was gone by the time I joined Coven, but he was the highest barb in guild at the time, and I got to see him log on once or twice. Having more HP than him, and being the highest barb in my guild was always a goal of mine. His player was an extremely nice fellow.

Phaedron (Lost City)- The only demon barb I've ever met that made me wish I was demon (some times) He's the stand by demon-axe build, and it works well for him. He taught me how to PK, and we eventually started making a tag team of 2v2 (or more as tends to happen on Lost City). Was proud to have him with me in Twar. (still currently plays)

Fuzzy (forums) - because no one else but him makes talking in third-person badass :)
Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
Post edited by Freizer - Lost City on

Comments

• Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lets see,

I grew up in a time where fuzzy isnt a mod yet.b:chuckleb:chuckle

I learn lots from Cybetron and Fuzzy, lots of thanks to them.

Special mention
    truekossy for pointing out the flaw of HP barb,
    cleopatra a cleric from RT showing me how to run FC.
    Graber, a sin from RT showing me how to run nirvana.

basically everyone in the barb forum.

Idols,
    Man from Raging tide (heard my idea of a build is the same as him.),
    Tzo from Raging tide (hope to surpass him =x)

My thinking are always weird, as such many a times i come up with stuff people might not understand. But it usually work out in the end with everyone's advise and ideas.
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    All i got out of this was getting the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" from the Four Seasons stuck in my head...
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • IBaMBii - Heavens Tear
    IBaMBii - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i took advice and followed the footsteps of the QQer / Goof and the Fail barb of the HT server.

lovely QQsan (Brandonsan) and Applefail (Appleyard). :)))) gotta give every barb some love. :D
    but, they are still alive and QQing / failing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Barbs make me....Nvm I can't say that word on forums o:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • Freizer - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    All i got out of this was getting the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" from the Four Seasons stuck in my head...

Shame on us ! you told a lie! Big girls do cry!
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    WolfGore from HT for being the first to expirement with a claw barb build.

Susamajii from Lost city for showing the power of Cash + Armageddon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide
    Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I remember starting out and meeting a lvl 50 something barb outside FB19 and being like totaly amazed at him doing my FB19 for me I thaught he was the best barbarian ever and joined his faction his name was MrCherry I learnt the basics from him.

Everything else my mate google showed me through alot of research and trial and error
    02/07/2011 - Lost paitence with PWI sold all my gear bought packs and wasted my coin till it was gone... goodbye PWI b:bye
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    only person i can really think of is Baalbak, he still plays of course. He has really been a good friend and a great role model. Ive learned a lot from him and I'm glad to call him my friend.
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide
    X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Heh..

I started out on Dreamweaver nearly I think, 2 years ago (?) on my beloved veno. I ran into countless barbs, not knowing a damn thing about what they have to do and just how bad it can get for them, coin wise thanks to the repairs and such. Anyway, I ended up in a great TW faction (not going to mention the name) on that server and I remember this barb in our squad during one of the TWs. So epic, knew what he was doing. He was pro (for his time.)
    Then...pwi introduced the Hyper stones. I went through FC (I didn't even started to use them til AFTER lv.95 on my veno...5 freaking levels LOL...) with barb after barb...failing hardcore. Asking questions like "So wait, Roar doesn't do damage? but it's a aoe!" Barbs being lazy as freaking hell about keep aggro...can't tell yah how many times I died or my herc died because the damned cat couldn't keep aggro/went to la-la-lafk land without saying anything.
    To make a long story short, a few things happened here and there, and I went off to Raging Tides with a few of my buddies from a faction on DW. I always liked how barbs are needed for just about every single instance in-game, how important their roll is. I sorta have that roll irl so it comes naturally lol. I did my best on my veno (got her *** herced WITHOUT catshopping...) and more. So I just wanna do the same on my barb on RT :) oh and have fun while doing it.

But meh.

I guess these are the peeps that can motivated me to reroll a barb. And do a DAMN good job of playing him lol

Furryball (DW) not spelled exactly like that but he was an epic tank back then. Sage too (not sure if he's still one though)

Supernova (DW) Dunno, he played his class well. Was a good player. Got so pissed when his barb died though lmao...b:chuckle

BigWacky (DW) I only encoundered this beast during TWs...I think he was a demon barb. I remember him triple sparking me...and then 1 shotting me lmfao. That right there, reaaally wanted me to reroll to a barb on DW but I said "meh, I'll reroll to AA and 1 shot his ***!!...um or try to >_>"

Man (RT) I'm roaming around on my barb, not having any idea who was on top on the pvp game, etc. I'm flying around West Archo and I see this damned crazy barb going at it against LuciferV. He's switching from axe, to poleaxe, to lance, Demon sparking, attacking...checked out his gear and I was "O.o". That's when I said "Yeah...I'm gonna keep my barb b:victory)

But yeah, I dunno.

I'm loving the barb class. I'm not loving the "barbs are useless" bs though. But all well. b:victory

• Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    YouStoleMyPie was the one who showed me all the basics back when I was a cub. He quit to play WoW. :/

Badass_Panda (or most commonly known as BaP), was the barb to look up to for PK. He always seemed to **** anyone who dared attack. I occasionally see his name in WC, but don't know how much he still plays.

Supernova taught me everything I needed to know about being a cata-puller in TW. Haven't seen him in a while.

Skippy was the quirky dex build barb who always seemed to be more powerful than he should have been. Used to run a lot of TTs with him. Sadly, when he left the faction we were in he stopped associating with any of us. He still plays though.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • MAClNTOSH - Dreamweaver
    MAClNTOSH - Dreamweaver Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    YouStoleMyPie was the one who showed me all the basics back when I was a cub. He quit to play WoW. :/

Badass_Panda (or most commonly known as BaP), was the barb to look up to for PK. He always seemed to **** anyone who dared attack. I occasionally see his name in WC, but don't know how much he still plays.

Supernova taught me everything I needed to know about being a cata-puller in TW. Haven't seen him in a while.

Skippy was the quirky dex build barb who always seemed to be more powerful than he should have been. Used to run a lot of TTs with him. Sadly, when he left the faction we were in he stopped associating with any of us. He still plays though.

Aww, I remember BaP. He definitely lived up to his name most of the time. I don't see him around too much anymore, though when I do, he's usually hanging around OT. It's a pity he's kind of undergeared now compared to today's standards. b:surrender

As for my idols, I kinda have two.

Volf: Back when I was a little baby cleric, the main TW faction, Calamity, used to have boss days. They would go kill several bosses for people's quests/culti just for the sake of being helpful (my, how things have changed). One week, they decided it would be fun to have a server-event where we all teamed up against the Sword Tamer (this was back before the -int craze where a BM/Sin could grab a random cleric or two and finish a WB off in a matter of minutes). There were literally hundreds of people there, a good amount of them dead. And I remember Volf was the one tanking him. Keeping aggro off of half the DW server. Tanking Sword Tamer might not seem like much to some people, but it amazed me at the time.

Cortimis: This guy was my main go-to barb and friend during my days as a psychic. And even though he caused a lot of drama in our circle of friends with some of his decisions, he was honestly one of the best barbs I had ever met. We had a lot of the same opinions on how a barb should be played, and he was never afraid to run head-on into a group of mobs (unlike some pansy barbs nowadays who want you to pull each mob individually :/ ). He was always looking for the best gear he could get for his level, and would continue farming something until he got a max-stat roll. Unfortunately, I never got to see him perform past level 95, and don't even know if he still plays, but in any case, I plan to mold my barb's gameplay after his example.
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Aww, I remember BaP. He definitely lived up to his name most of the time. I don't see him around too much anymore, though when I do, he's usually hanging around OT. It's a pity he's kind of undergeared now compared to today's standards. b:surrender

As for my idols, I kinda have two.

Volf: Back when I was a little baby cleric, the main TW faction, Calamity, used to have boss days. They would go kill several bosses for people's quests/culti just for the sake of being helpful (my, how things have changed). One week, they decided it would be fun to have a server-event where we all teamed up against the Sword Tamer (this was back before the -int craze where a BM/Sin could grab a random cleric or two and finish a WB off in a matter of minutes). There were literally hundreds of people there, a good amount of them dead. And I remember Volf was the one tanking him. Keeping aggro off of half the DW server. Tanking Sword Tamer might not seem like much to some people, but it amazed me at the time.

Cortimis: This guy was my main go-to barb and friend during my days as a psychic. And even though he caused a lot of drama in our circle of friends with some of his decisions, he was honestly one of the best barbs I had ever met. We had a lot of the same opinions on how a barb should be played, and he was never afraid to run head-on into a group of mobs (unlike some pansy barbs nowadays who want you to pull each mob individually :/ ). He was always looking for the best gear he could get for his level, and would continue farming something until he got a max-stat roll. Unfortunately, I never got to see him perform past level 95, and don't even know if he still plays, but in any case, I plan to mold my barb's gameplay after his example.

I remember that Sword Tamer event. Think I was doing WQ when someone WC'd it, so flew on over and took a couple of whacks at him before getting wiped by AoE. xD
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My role models when I was a starting barb: Gogg (left a long time ago) and Gyonax, who still plays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    Dagnatic - Sanctuary Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sniffles...b:cry
    i never had any b:cry
    i was left alone unwanted.. no one to look up to in the gutter
    then i maned up and stared ****ing $#** up... i didn't know i was supposed to tank till lvl 50... nowa days... im still a lone wolf.... trust me.. i dont even have any cleric friends =P
    But hey... we cant all be awesome can we?
  • Jurky - Sanctuary
    Jurky - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sniffles...b:cry
    i never had any b:cry
    i was left alone unwanted.. no one to look up to in the gutter
    then i maned up and stared ****ing $#** up... i didn't know i was supposed to tank till lvl 50... nowa days... im still a lone wolf.... trust me.. i dont even have any cleric friends =P
    But hey... we cant all be awesome can we?

Took me also around 50 lvl's to realize my role was to tank b:laugh
  • ChrisDaBarb - Raging Tide
    ChrisDaBarb - Raging Tide Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Redzen because that guy could do oracles like no other!
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Redzen because that guy could do oracles like no other!

Fuzzy just had to laugh at that one. b:laugh

Nothing says dedication like killing the Eidomas General for god knows how many hours a day to go from level 70 to level 100. Good ol' Red to this day hasn't set foot in FC.

As for Fuzzy, much like Dagnatic wrote, the panda didn't have anyone to look up to. The great Pan Gu decided to throw the panda out into the world of Raging Tide on the day he created it. He then smashed the mould and sent Fuzzy out into the wild to learn and grow by himself.

Since it was on the same day Pan Gu created Raging Tide that the evil fish race found their way ashore near Dreamweaver port, those who had perhaps in former lives on past worlds been great barbarians all found themselves now living in inferior weaker forms due to the spinning of the great wheel of karma. Alas, this left the panda with no one to look up to and learn from.

The panda was left to fend for himself and carve his own path in the world.

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • MrSyko - Raging Tide
    MrSyko - Raging Tide Posts: 515 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    When I started I was the highest level barb in my first faction and the only one that was active on a normal basis.

I had to go to the forums to learn anything because I didn't know any barbs in game :
    - Baalbak
    - Fuzzy_Wuzzy
    - Knownase
    - XylolyX
    - And occasionally Rawrgh when he wasn't trolling the RT forums.
    The ones I remember most from the forums back in the day.

Then after I joined my current faction I met herozero and he's teaching me about being an aps barb.
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Then after I joined my current faction I met herozero and he's teaching me about being an aps barb.

All you need to know is don't do it b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • MrSyko - Raging Tide
    MrSyko - Raging Tide Posts: 515 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »

Too late. b:surrender
  • Roriror - Lost City
    Roriror - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Freizer you were always my insparation you big sexy beast. b:shy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    Because who would want to be 100x more useful in PvE right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Freizer - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Freizer you were always my insparation you big sexy beast. b:shy

aww thank you ^^ <3
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I personally didn't really have someone to look up to, I didn't even know what tanking was until lvl 65-ish. b:cool

If anything, it was the Barb forum that helped a lot, especially for tanking tactics, and ideas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I mostly used the forums. So thanks to any of you who put up with me :)

I didn't have any in game role models...I'd always check out other barbs I met though, compare gear and such.
  • CoolRebirth - Archosaur
    CoolRebirth - Archosaur Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    While Archosaur wasn't the first server I've played on, I learned my barbarian's builds from Mechanism and Sam_Son there. I've gotten some more advice lately from RioNHale and from dmoncamori(spelling) while feeling down on my own build, and of course my own research.

I personally give alot of new barbs the advice I'd gotten from both Mech and RioN.

But I have to add to this forum by asking:

Which build/style did YOU go with(to all)?
  • Skippy - Dreamweaver
    Skippy - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

b:cute
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I personally didn't really have someone to look up to, I didn't even know what tanking was until lvl 65-ish. b:cool

If anything, it was the Barb forum that helped a lot, especially for tanking tactics, and ideas.
    Knownase! haven't seen you on in a while...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Knownase! haven't seen you on in a while...

Took a break from the game, just been logging on for Nirv keys still since I don't plan on quitting yet. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I never really had a mentor tbh b:sad

but I'm glad i was able to leave an impression on some other barbs b:cute I'm still not where I want to be gear wise. Have lots of farming left ahead of me before I get my stage 2 build I'm shooting for now (because they destoyed my plan of getting rank 9b:cry).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..