So... what's wrong with venos?

Options

Comments

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yay another grammer cop b:chuckle

you know, usualy when kids start to correct others it means they are clueless about the subject b:bye

Yeah.. I'm clueless.. even though I've given reasons behind my thinking, yup. Totally clueless.
    Maybe you both should stop trolling eachother and come with value arguments about the topic...ijs.

I didn't really say anything remotely troll-like until Doqui started behaving like an ***. It's not my fault he/she doesn't wanna be civil, if you're gonna tell someone not to troll it'd be him/her.
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    @Zanryu: Seems to me that you do have to get the full potential out of your veno in a 5aps squad. If you don't, you're just a fail DD running along.
    At "normal" squads you actually have more freedom as a venomancer it seems even though there's more to look at and to do (like passing sparks, saving other squad members)
    However, if you want to be of ANY use at all to an aps squad, you will have to DD and debuff to your full potential.

In a squad where you are the "weakest" you will have to work harder to let the strong be stronger ijs. Or better said, play to the full potential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    @Zanryu: Seems to me that you do have to get the full potential out of your veno in a 5aps squad. If you don't, you're just a fail DD running along.
    At "normal" squads you actually have more freedom as a venomancer it seems even though there's more to look at and to do (like passing sparks, saving other squad members)
    However, if you want to be of ANY use at all to an aps squad, you will have to DD and debuff to your full potential.

In a squad where you are the "weakest" you will have to work harder to let the strong be stronger ijs. Or better said, play to the full potential.

I guess we have different view points then, since to me working to your full potential is utilizing more than just 2-4 skills and timing them right to maximize your squad's damage and survivability. To me a veno using Amp, Ironwood, and Souldegen then just using normal spells isn't really being used to full potential. Now if they're in a squad passing out sparks, working as an actual part of the team instead of just the occasional amp then to me they're working more to their full potential even if the squad overall isn't as effective as a 5APS squad.

A veno being in a squad may help bring out the potential of the squad with amps and what not, but if your actual damage output is far outshined by everyone else in squad and you're mainly just debuffing are you really working to potential? That'd be like if I was a pure pole BM who only used Glacial Spike. I'm debuffing bosses, but in only using poleblades I'm nowhere near my full potential.

In response to an earlier post.. I'd like to compare a three man Nirvana squad with two BMs and a sin and one another with a Sin, veno, and BM. I think the squad with the two BMs would be faster but it'd be a fun test. I may try that out later on.
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Frankly, it's because people are total idiots sometimes. I think people get it into their head that there's an "ideal squad" and that if they go outside of that, FC won't work. Which is just foolish. Someone on my server put together a squad of venos and one cleric and we went through FC, I think it went rather well. We definitely downed the bosses faster than any other squad I've been in. Yet I've still had people say they would -never- squad with a veno in FC simply because it doesn't fit into their "dream squad".
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I guess we have different view points then, since to me working to your full potential is utilizing more than just 2-4 skills and timing them right to maximize your squad's damage and survivability. To me a veno using Amp, Ironwood, and Souldegen then just using normal spells isn't really being used to full potential. Now if they're in a squad passing out sparks, working as an actual part of the team instead of just the occasional amp then to me they're working more to their full potential even if the squad overall isn't as effective as a 5APS squad.

A veno being in a squad may help bring out the potential of the squad with amps and what not, but if your actual damage output is far outshined by everyone else in squad and you're mainly just debuffing are you really working to potential? That'd be like if I was a pure pole BM who only used Glacial Spike. I'm debuffing bosses, but in only using poleblades I'm nowhere near my full potential.

Who ever says a veno should only use 2-4 skills? Anyway, that's not what this is about.
    In a squad you play a support role. In "normal" squads that will be spark-passing, debuffing, DD'ing and occasionally saving a squad member.

However, in aps squads you fullfill a different role, that is not one of spark-lending, saving people or DD'ing. You will want to support and make sure that the aps'ers can maximize their damage output.

In both squads you will have to work for the full potential. However, as I stated before, in aps squads your spot is better filled up by a different class if you don't play to your full potential. In such a squad your full potential will be mainly debuffing. Nova, amp, (sage)soul degeneration, ironwood, myriad. You ARE working to your full potential if you can maximize the squads damage output. 'Cause that's your role in that case.

All in all, in different squads you will have different roles. By adjusting to the needs of that squad you will use the class to it's full potential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Who ever says a veno should only use 2-4 skills? Anyway, that's not what this is about.
    In a squad you play a support role. In "normal" squads that will be spark-passing, debuffing, DD'ing and occasionally saving a squad member.

However, in aps squads you fullfill a different role, that is not one of spark-lending, saving people or DD'ing. You will want to support and make sure that the aps'ers can maximize their damage output.

In both squads you will have to work for the full potential. However, as I stated before, in aps squads your spot is better filled up by a different class if you don't play to your full potential. In such a squad your full potential will be mainly debuffing. Nova, amp, (sage)soul degeneration, ironwood, myriad. You ARE working to your full potential if you can maximize the squads damage output. 'Cause that's your role in that case.

All in all, in different squads you will have different roles. By adjusting to the needs of that squad you will use the class to it's full potential.

Can we agree to disagree? We're both set on our views and that isn't gonna change with a bunch of posts. That, and I don't feel like typing another two paragraphs. b:surrender
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with venos, just the pets that sucks.

Dont know how many times bosses have re-set or bugged out or just gone nuts after a veno used a pet in 3-2/3-3 or NV <.<

Just a few days ago a stupid veno summons her herc at last boss in NV. Of course it gets sealed and random aggro and runs god knows where, boss goes after and disappears - he never came back. That happened to me at KFC chicken boss to, he some how got stuck up in a pillar after chasing a herc and never returned.

Even if the boss doesn't re-set or gets stuck in a wall after chasing a pet, its still annoying when he starts running around and everyones attack gets interrupted. It can even cause a party wipe if you're running 3-3.

They should change it so that pets doesn't act like mobs once they get sealed really. They should also make all bosses in NV possible to amp, because debuffs and reflect is what a veno contributes with at the moment. Their damage is a joke, they cant use the pet, no one needs chi.

However when you can land all debuffs on a boss a veno is godly to have in party. Amp, Sage soul degen, Demon parasite Nova, 100% armor break and a veno is better than any extra 5.0 DD.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    veryones attack gets interrupted. It can even cause a party wipe if you're running 3-3.

They should change it so that pets doesn't act like mobs once they get sealed really. They should also make all bosses in NV possible to amp, because debuffs and reflect is what a veno contributes with at the moment. Their damage is a joke, they cant use the pet, no one needs chi.

There's a method to control that running.
  • Vitruvio - Raging Tide
    Vitruvio - Raging Tide Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wow, this turned into another APS thread... Anyways, after reading what this barb told me:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/unledmo.jpg/ I feel like I am done, I am going to find a game where I can play what I want without problems...
    96 Blademaster - 89 Venomancer
    81 Archer - 83 cleric
    86 seeker...
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wow, this turned into another APS thread... Anyways, after reading what this barb told me:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/unledmo.jpg/ I feel like I am done, I am going to find a game where I can play what I want without problems...

Feel your pain. I get this every day at least ONCE, no jk:

wc: LF any DD for FC 90-98
    me: veno lvl95
    he: Veno is not a DD
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Don't overestimate masteries. They only affect weapon damage, which is only part of the equation that determines your damage per hit.
    I went and made a 4.0 bm and a 2.0 sage veno (both unsparked, with only their own buffs) on pwcalc:
    http://pwcalc.com/06451ede903fbabc
    http://pwcalc.com/d74f8ea5306a1f02

I decided to give the bm only lvl 10 fist mastery, just to make it a little bit easier for the veno to win. I only used the armor/weapons that were necessary to achieve the aps that you specified.

The conclusion: I applaud the fact that the veno's damage per hit is almost identical to the blademaster's, despite the fact that the veno is using a weapon that was never really intended for serious use by magic classes. However, the bm's dps is twice as high as the veno's. They have very similar damage per hit, but the bm just hits twice as fast.

Veno dps: ~7,200 (average)
    BM dps: ~14,400 (average)

You can go ahead and gear up the veno with as much additional armor as you want provided she stays at 2 aps unsparked, and that her weapon is the same refine as the BM's, it won't make up for that large of a damage difference.

Edit: Just in case you actually meant 2 aps unsparked veno using a magic weapon instead of fists, I went and made a pwcalc for that too.
    http://pwcalc.com/a0d5433586395995

Magic Wep Veno dps: ~7800 (average)
    Good luck getting that chest though.

that is broken, melee mastery only functions in fox form for a veno.... so for a more accurate comparison... and lets throw those lunar claws out of the equation :

veno :
    http://pwcalc.com/055b5d5df8ee4c2c

BM :
    http://pwcalc.com/1b2a31b629c90c05
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    that is broken, melee mastery only functions in fox form for a veno.... so for a more accurate comparison... and lets throw those lunar claws out of the equation :

veno :

BM :

I think you should turn spark on for both builds.
  • Atake - Raging Tide
    Atake - Raging Tide Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    **** la veno, ha veno, claw venos and all that ****. Might seem tempting but ITS SO USELESS. I could arguement about this for eternity but that's not what the thread is about. Anyways go pure mag w/arcane.

I've seen lots of newbies choose venos as their first character which leaves alot of bad venos to the game. I did the same myself, can't even understand how the heck I got as far as I did before I realized how many mistakes I made to her as my first character. But as long as you know your class and got the gears, venos are soo great to have..

I really doubt that many lvl 80'ish melee's got high aps (never played a melee rly, correct me if I'm wrong), so its nice to leave out a spot for a veno instead.
    High 90's might be harder since people are about to get their endgame gears and higher aps. I'd still sacrifice a spot for some lovely amplifies tho. Some people just don't realize how usefull a pro veno is, but those people need to be convinced xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lorrita - Raging Tide
    Lorrita - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    venos are a powerful toon they can do anything but heal and since most people dont like venos because of their skills well their bad, so lets start a veno guild and allow only healers and venos in lol think that will go b:chuckle
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    From now on I'm not taking barbs on anything I do. That'll learn 'em
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think you should turn spark on for both builds.

well everyone is aware of the APS bonus for Demon BMs it goes without saying... just pointing out a flaw when he compared he used claws which is not native to veno version of the mastery skill.

I actually use a similar build for my veno but with quite a lot more magic and two sets of gear.

sure one can argue the BM does this and that PVE but when it comes down to it for end game content you need a good balance of all classes for the only thing left to do : TW

and if your faction ignores people for runs just because they're not some APS person then they're either not going to participate in your faction events or simply leave due to lack of funds
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i never liked venos

and here are 10 reasons

they never use lending hand on me

i hate pets
    yaeh imma hunt down and eat your dog :D
    ever eaten horse-sausage ?

all of their skills look **** or the same

most veno chars are simply ugly

veno rank weapons are the ugliest things ever

veno pets are ugly too

im traumatized from old pwi years when QQbird killed me no matter what i did

payback for picking a class only cause its the best one (to those who had a herc and nix on day one of server start :P)

????

pulling / luring
    OKAY, we have a squad here,
    everyone is at least rank8 and has a lot of +10 armor parts
    WHY dont we just AOE?

dont pull those stupid runners in Warsong
    one aoe on mobs makes BB stay up, its safe, faster, more fun

BUT HERE COMES HERC AND FAILS PULLING AAAAAH RUNS BACK BREAKES BB AND I KEEP TICKING AND EVERYONE DIES, THEY COME BACK IM STILL RUNNING AND TICKING WITH MOBS THEY DIE AGAIN CAUSE THEY HAVE FAIL MDEF AND NO BUFFS AAAAAAAH

number 10 is my only real reason
    the reason why i dislike squadding with venos
    and the reason why clerics scream at me in BH b:shutup
    "HEX! Dont do that again, ever!"

i have a lot of veno friends, i like them, forgive them their class choice cause they are rocking persons

edit: should i read all those posts?
    i like potato
  • Tyramera - Dreamweaver
    Tyramera - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

It's only fun until Hex gets the BM killed by pulling sac assault and increase mag attack dinos all at the same time b:shocked

But yeah, I'm fine with not pulling individual strong mobs ... but the squad has to let the veno know that. Safer to pull and be told it's not necessary, than to bring a whole group and cause a wipe. Not like pulling is fun anyway, I like it better when other people pull with the genie, hell, I pull with the genie more than my pet anyway b:laugh
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The decent venos are quitting, slowly.

Eventually, you all will be left with Fail Venos.

The class needs a re-work. It's extremely underpowered compared to 5.0.

My friends attempted to persuade me to keep playing my Veno. My Veno was 82 at the time, and the next highest alt I had was 71, my cleric. My Archer was 61. I said 'FFFFFFFFF that!'

Now my Archer is 90, and my Veno is still 82. To be completely open, if I didn't have a 72 slot cupboard, and level 5 crafting on my veno, as well as fashion slots, I would stash everything that's bound/my nix to another character and just delete it. It's a storage/crafting alt now. I couldn't even work up the energy required to do faction base quests/TW on it. >_>

And HALF the problem is the class and the skills.

The OTHER HALF of the problem is the playerbase. Partly, the people playing Venos tend to not give a rotting damn about anything that they're doing, not using the best skills they have for the situation they're in. When I was LA on my Veno, I could do freaking FCC pulls. I could survived the party wipes at shades, and killed the damn mobs myself. Stupid pure dex Sin died after the first AOE, I had the same number of mobs on me long enough for me to use my weak AOE to kill them. >_>

Then there's the rest of the playerbase. "Oh, you don't do huge DPS, no nukes, pansy AOE, you're useless in a squad". Um... If you really want to think that, then fine. While there are Venos who are just that, a well played Veno can make things in a squad go smoothly.

And about Lending Hand... It's shocking to think this, but there ARE veno skills that require chi. In some situations, especially FCC, you might as well just get yourself a ****ing genie with Cloud Eruption, because I'm gonna be using Ironwood on the shades for the Sin/BM/Archer for Armor Break, and Parasitic Nova on the mobs, and both of those cost chi (20 chi, and 2 sparks). Ironwood is used about every third Venemous with no -channeling, so you gain about 20 chi... Which means by the time Parasitic is cooled down, you probably don't even have 2 sparks yet.

>_> If Veno and Barb become completely unplayed, I won't be shocked. You people and your boxes, with neat little compartments for what everything should do and be...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i never liked venos

and here are 10 reasons

they never use lending hand on me Cause we know you prefer to use rather your right hand...

i hate pets
    yaeh imma hunt down and eat your dog :D
    ever eaten horse-sausage ?Meet my dog Frankenstein...

all of their skills look **** or the same Nova has awesome skulls

most veno chars are simply ugly Its cause most Venos are male (and we know they are all ugly) and you didnt seen mine yet

veno rank weapons are the ugliest things ever Wiz isnt better either

veno pets are ugly too QQbird <3 flying piggy <3 florafang <3 bunny <3 HexOmega...oh wait that one is ugly

im traumatized from old pwi years when QQbird killed me no matter what i did Love it now even more

payback for picking a class only cause its the best one (to those who had a herc and nix on day one of server start :P) No more aps squad for you

???? !!!!

pulling / luring
    WHY dont we just AOE?
    one aoe on mobs makes BB stay up, its safe, faster, more fun Ok, then have fun in fb99 instances

BUT HERE COMES HERC AND FAILS PULLING AAAAAH RUNS BACK BREAKES BB AND I KEEP TICKING AND EVERYONE DIES, THEY COME BACK IM STILL RUNNING AND TICKING WITH MOBS THEY DIE AGAIN CAUSE THEY HAVE FAIL MDEF AND NO BUFFS AAAAAAAH It was a herc named "HexOmega" who wanted to AOE so much :p

number 10 is my only real reason
    the reason why i dislike squadding with venos
    and the reason why clerics scream at me in BH b:shutup
    "HEX! Dont do that again, ever!"

i have a lot of veno friends, i like them, forgive them their class choice cause they are rocking persons

edit: should i read all those posts?Yes

b:cute hai
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Yuji_Sakai - Harshlands
    Yuji_Sakai - Harshlands Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

veno :

BM :

Lets see, there are at least 2 things wrong here.

1. The venos I showed were both in fox form with sage mele mastery, so I don't know why you are implying that they weren't in fox form. In game, venos can glitch so that they are wearing claws in fox form. (unless they fixed that, I'm not a veno so I don't keep up with that stuff. pwcalc still calculates it all the same)

2. The person that I was replying to gave a number of parameters to define the bm and veno to be compared. a) veno 2 aps, bm 4aps, (unsparked). b)veno has sage mastery, in fox form. c) both are unsparked when dps measurements are taken
    Your fox has 2.22 aps, and your bm has 2.86 aps, this violates parameter "a".

Even with your comparison (which is nothing near the comparison that the person I was originally replying to was making) the bm beats the veno. If I tweak your builds so that the bm has 4aps unsparked, and the veno has 2aps unsparked, then, OH LOOK! the bm still has about twice the dps as the veno. So, the notion that I was originally disproving, that is, 2aps veno unsparked > 4aps BM unsparked, is still false. I don't see the point of your post.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Have you seen how people play? I don't just mean venos, I mean people in general.

Most people have no idea how to play their class in a squad setting. Everyone knows what their minimum role in FC is and hardly ever branches out of it.

Too often do I see venos that never use helping hand, amp, etc because they would rather DD and use their sparks for triple sparking and the such.

Yes venos are awesome in squads when used correctly, but the sad fact is that most people don't use them correctly.
  • HellWariorB - Raging Tide
    HellWariorB - Raging Tide Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Have you seen how people play? I don't just mean venos, I mean people in general.

Most people have no idea how to play their class in a squad setting. Everyone knows what their minimum role in FC is and hardly ever branches out of it.

Too often do I see venos that never use helping hand, amp, etc because they would rather DD and use their sparks for triple sparking and the such.

Yes venos are awesome in squads when used correctly, but the sad fact is that most people don't use them correctly.

So true.
  • ShaoliXen - Lost City
    ShaoliXen - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

So true.

Indeed.
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I love venos <3 I like your amp ... I like your aoes ... I like the diversity of the class itself ...

It's just a shame people are so narrow minded and silly to think everything needs aps or it sucks.

I tend to pick the person behind the pixels for things rather than pick the pixels themselves. Guess I'm alone on that one.

Why are people discussing aps venos? *facepalm* Gunna be aps clerics next ... "I canz heal AND dd, I so pr0"
  • Edyn - Dreamweaver
    Edyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I love venos <3 I like your amp ... I like your aoes ... I like the diversity of the class itself ...

It's just a shame people are so narrow minded and silly to think everything needs aps or it sucks.

I tend to pick the person behind the pixels for things rather than pick the pixels themselves. Guess I'm alone on that one.

Why are people discussing aps venos? *facepalm* Gunna be aps clerics next ... "I canz heal AND dd, I so pr0"

At least some ppl still like us b:kiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ty Silvychar b:thanks
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

-Nice, and from one of the best Barbs on HT!

From personal experience, I can say aps has slowed down clearing of most instance runs. Toons are far richer than they used to be, but now generally take longer.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Nael - Dreamweaver
    Nael - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

pulling / luring
    WHY dont we just AOE?

BUT HERE COMES HERC AND FAILS PULLING AAAAAH RUNS BACK BREAKES BB AND I KEEP TICKING AND EVERYONE DIES, THEY COME BACK IM STILL RUNNING AND TICKING WITH MOBS THEY DIE AGAIN CAUSE THEY HAVE FAIL MDEF AND NO BUFFS AAAAAAAH

QFT
    The other day I did Warsong with a Veno she (or he) kept trying to pull runners and fail, but raged at me when I AoE pulled the mobs :<
    Seriously, Cleric has like 7k+ hp unbuffed, there was no need to take risk of aggroing whole pack of mobs while BB is down...but noo, the Veno just had to try too hard

Oh, and I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I hate Venos because they look better in fashion than everyone else. </3
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There's a method to control that running.

How? As far as i know even if pet is on manual/defend or attack it will run wild when sealed by bosses. Is there a pet command that makes the herc stay still and attack the boss even when its sealed O_O

I'm no veno i only know that "Halt" makes it stand still and "follow" makes it come up to its owner. But than the pet will stop attacking. I guess you could use "Halt" every time a boss sais stuff like "You will be punished" in NV. But not all bosses are like those in NV, they wont tell you politely when they're gonna aoe-seal. If the veno gets sealed to you cant use pet commands right?

But yeah i dont really know these things, do tell me the method. I never meet a veno that had a Hercules who never moved an inch after it got sealed :o
  • zbzkda
    zbzkda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ...Now my Archer is 90, and my Veno is still 82. BAWWWW DERP DERP DERP...

I felt the same way about my veno until today when I got enough money to learn my first Demon skill, Demon Venomous Scarab and I went out to west arch and two-shotted a sin at my level by chaining Demon Venomous -> Lucky. Suddenly I don't feel like I'm a sh.itty PvE only class. Also, there's a venomancer by the name of "Lumpejudd" on my server whose h4x OP-ness makes me feel like at endgame I'll be able to kill other classes. So I've pressed on. Basically as a veno you will enjoy PvE a whole lot. BUT you will be continually frustrated by what seems to be a lack of control skills for PK. However, it would seem that as a venomancer, your real role in PK is to go about in a team. Which would probably make TW more of a focus for you as a PvPer. I'm yet to get good gear and test out an open PKer veno, but my main goal is to PK people, so definitely I'll be experimenting soon.
    And HALF the problem is the class and the skills.

I totally agree. If you have no pheonix, you have no useful stun. Lucky is not enough, and the only other "immobilizing" move you get is Demon Frost Scarab which requires one spark. You get no defensive PK self buffs, the only defensive skills you have are: Bramble Hood (requires two sparks, but at least you can use it however often you like since it doesn't have a retar.dedly long cooldown), and Feral Concentration (but it requires one spark, and guess what? You can only use it once every five minutes).

I've begin to think that even if they only reduced the cooldown on Feral Concentration and did nothing else for us, venos would suddenly become SO much more fun to play. Even making it (and demon Summer Sprint) a 30 second cooldown would mean more survivability. Pop it up every 30 sec, kill someone, then kite, then go back 30 sec later...
    And about Lending Hand... It's shocking to think this, but there ARE veno skills that require chi. BAWWWWW HUUURRRR DURRRRRR HEERRRRRP

As a veno in a squad, your sparks are not your own, get used to it. they belong to the cleric, BM and barb.
    >_> If Veno and Barb become completely unplayed, I won't be shocked. You people and your boxes, with neat little compartments for what everything should do and be...

Veno will not, barb already is.

Hi:

This is my own response to all of the stuff I'm hearing, both in reply to the particular post I quoted and to the general sentiments I saw expressed here.

I'm a lvl90 veno, and I've FCd to lvl90 (from lvl80) in about 17 days (I've never bought heads). I've never had problems where I had an Fc squad telling me that they don't take venos, or anything like that. I cannot comment on that. Maybe on Harshlands the venos just aren't as fail, or maybe on other servers they're more fail than usual.

I have a friends list FULL of barbs and clerics who would FC with me readily if they're not busy. I once had one of my barb friends tell me one day that he spent a long time trying to fill one of the spots in his squad with a DD, and he was looking for a veno specifically but couldn't find one, and when I PMd him to start a squad he expressed unhappiness that he couldn't find a veno for his current FC. I'm pretty sure I've run with him enough times that his impression of venos in FC squads has at least something to do with my own performance.

When I am in FC, I do not bother do DD if there is a support role which needs filling. For example, most venos will try to DD on Frost Bishops in the small clusters with the Sirens. What I do is I send in my Herc with pounce, and I amp the bishop in time with the BM's sprint to AOE stun. This way the bishop will definitely get stunned by either the BM or the pet, and it will die quickly due to my amp.

I use amp like it's a spam move. I amp Harpies, I amp Shades, I amp Bishops on the bishop boss, I debuff everything that moves, I watch out for the cleric to see if anything is attacking him/her and I try to take aggro asap. I use Ironwood as smartly as I can. I prefer not to use it, but for high HP mobs (Bishop, Shade, Harpy), I will debuff them for the BM/sin who is trying to kill it. I use Blazing Scarab as much as I can to build chi, and at the very least, whenever the cleric puts up BB/RB he knows he is getting a spark.

I discovered only yesterday that one of the clerics I run with regularly uses chi pots when his chi is lacking...so I made extra note of that since I didn't know that clerics had to spend that much money. I learn. When we're doing bosses, I do not pass chi to the Barb; I pass it to the BM. The BM needs chi for DG, and the sin gets 3-spark too fast, so giving chi to the BM speeds up the rate at which he can DG for the sin to 3 spark.

And of course, I always amp in time with the BM's DG. In other words, in squads, I am a pure support veno. And I apparently give other people a good impression of venos. Ever since I got my 79 skills two days ago, I also use the AOE Myriad Ranbow whenever I can, but it also requires 800 MP, so I give preference to amping single high-priority targets (Bishop, Harpy, etc). When I die on the bishop boss, my squad FEELS it. The bishops die slower. And while this is probably not ethically a good thing, I do it anyway:

When the cleric rezzes me, I say something like: "Kay, finally I can amp these bishops". And I make sure to debuff them, and the squad FEELS my presence.

Play your class right ^_^. And no, a veno is NOT a DD when working in a squad. A veno is support for the cleric/BM/DDs. And NO, a veno is NOT a DD in team PvP either. Your role in team PvP is to stay back in the shadows and just debuff. Kill if you see a way to do it without leaving priority targets un-handled, but you're MUCH more useful distracting enemies with your PK pet, and debuffing, then kiting to keep them more distracted while another member of your team dispatches the target.

Learn your class. Did you know a veno can pop sins out of stealth (no channeling time attached!) using fox form Myriad Rainbow (OMG, and every 20 seconds too at that!)? Learn your class. Do you still you Venomous Scarab at heads? It takes 1.5 sec to channel and 0.8 to cast, which is more than 2 seconds before you can hit a head...which someone else is already probably going to hit before you do. Take a bow along to FC for heads. Venomous will allow you to hit one head at most on each set. With a bow I can hit 2. I have personally probably only used Parasitic Nova about twice in all my time FCing.

Another note is that I'm extremely squishy and I die very often on runs...yet my regulars are always happy to take me again...and again and again and again. You people on other servers are doing something wrong, definitely.
    I seriously wonder: people who don't RPK, if you play the board game "Sorry!" and you roll the dice so that you land on an opponents piece and send it back to the beginning, do you sincerely apologize and ask everyone if you can have a do-over roll so you can give your victim another chance? It's a god damn game..

--LongKnife
This discussion has been closed.