Help with Beginner Pet

Options
ayamekoren
ayamekoren Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Venomancer
I just recently started playing PW and have chosen to be a Veno. I made it to level 15, but the pet I received at the start of the game is failing fast. Can anyone recommend a good pet that I can catch around my level, so probably anywhere from level 1-20?

Thanks ^^
Post edited by ayamekoren on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    how exactly is your starter pet "failing"? i kept mine to level 40-some, and it still did some tasks decently. how's your pet's loyalty, what level is it compared to your own?

at level 19, you can get a glacial walker to use as a melee land tank. this will last you until you get a herc, or quit playing veno, or get sick of looking at the big ugly slow thing. at level 8, you can get a petite sawfly as a flying DD pet; this too will last until you get a phoenix, or give up the class. at level 9, the dark wanderer (shadow ranger) is a land melee DD pet, that'll keep you until endgame. for more hints, search the wiki.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Bridigan - Sanctuary
    Bridigan - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Are you feeding your pet regularly? Feeding it will increase its loyalty, which will make it fight harder and gain more experience. You should have recieved 200 pure water from a quest when you got your pet; feed the pet one water whenever it gets hungry. You can tell when the pet is hungry by looking at its picture, next to its health bar. When the pet is full, its picture will be clear, but when it gets hungry the picture will turn green. If it continues to go hungry, the picture will change color again and gradually turn a dark red, and the pet's loyalty will decrease.

What level is your pet? Pets gain experience and level up like players do. You should make sure that you keep your pets up to your level. For best training, you should fight monsters of the same level as your pet (the pet will not gain experience from monsters that are many levels below it).

Also, which pet did you choose? Different pets have different purposes. Some have great defences, while others are made for damage. The wolf starter pet is okay, although not particularly fabulous. The scorpion starter pet does a lot of damage, but does not have very good defence. If a defence pet is what you want, there are many available. I suggest you look at this thread for pet listings:

http://forum.deviantart.com/community/complaints/1594487/#/d3dj5ue
    Director and Webmistress of Faction Tramonto
  • ayamekoren
    edited May 2011
    Options
    how exactly is your starter pet "failing"? i kept mine to level 40-some, and it still did some tasks decently. how's your pet's loyalty, what level is it compared to your own?

at level 19, you can get a glacial walker to use as a melee land tank. this will last you until you get a herc, or quit playing veno, or get sick of looking at the big ugly slow thing. at level 8, you can get a petite sawfly as a flying DD pet; this too will last until you get a phoenix, or give up the class. at level 9, the dark wanderer (shadow ranger) is a land melee DD pet, that'll keep you until endgame. for more hints, search the wiki.

I honestly just want something new and the starter pet has been dying a lot faster on lower mobs; It may help if I increase my healing skill or loyalty, but I also realize that the pet is ready to level before I reach the end of mine. So, I think having a second pet would really be helpful. I just had no idea which to choose so thank you very much for your help ^^
  • ayamekoren
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Are you feeding your pet regularly? Feeding it will increase its loyalty, which will make it fight harder and gain more experience. You should have recieved 200 pure water from a quest when you got your pet; feed the pet one water whenever it gets hungry. You can tell when the pet is hungry by looking at its picture, next to its health bar. When the pet is full, its picture will be clear, but when it gets hungry the picture will turn green. If it continues to go hungry, the picture will change color again and gradually turn a dark red, and the pet's loyalty will decrease.

What level is your pet? Pets gain experience and level up like players do. You should make sure that you keep your pets up to your level. For best training, you should fight monsters of the same level as your pet (the pet will not gain experience from monsters that are many levels below it).

Also, which pet did you choose? Different pets have different purposes. Some have great defences, while others are made for damage. The wolf starter pet is okay, although not particularly fabulous. The scorpion starter pet does a lot of damage, but does not have very good defence. If a defence pet is what you want, there are many available. I suggest you look at this thread for pet listings:

http://forum.deviantart.com/community/complaints/1594487/#/d3dj5ue

Oh, I thought you weren't supposed to feed your pet past full. That might be why my pet's loyalty is so low. It is only about 300 right now and I'm going to work on trying to get it up asap! Thanks!
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ayamekoren wrote: »
    Oh, I thought you weren't supposed to feed your pet past full. That might be why my pet's loyalty is so low. It is only about 300 right now and I'm going to work on trying to get it up asap! Thanks!

You really only need to maintain a 500+ loyalty. This will give you the max benefits with the lowest food consumption. It's worth your time to look into getting a cheap tome as well, as those will keep your pet fed.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    pets' loyalty should be kept above 500 at all times --- they hit harder then. with most free pets, might as well max it out since sesame oil is cheap enough.

your pet heal skill should always be as high as you can level it; every level that ends in 3, go buy pet heal. when you consider what it lets you do, it's one of the most seriously OP skills in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • rtsprite
    rtsprite Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just started a venomancer today. And am concerned about the cost of all this. I have to buy all my pet food, none are drops, right? I did a google and found a guide that said I should feed my pet every 5 minutes. Is this correct?

If so, and if all pet food is bought from a vendor, how will I be able to afford to keep feeding my pet?
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Different types of food drops from different mobs. (Check pwd for things such as Hay, Fruit, Fungus, etc.) These drops are somewhat rare though, so the cheapest food are the water types that you buy from the vendor and/or the perfect cookies that you can make with tokens.

However, if you get a tome, your pet will not get hungry. You'll still need to feed it to get the loyalty up initially and up again if the pet dies, but it won't get hungry every 5 minutes.
  • rtsprite
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So I do really have to feed the pet every 5 minutes I have it out? I won't spend real life money just for a tome. How on earth can I carry enough food with me, my carry bag is quite small? This makes no sense...
  • rtsprite
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I suggest you look at this thread for pet listings:

Oops, that is one NASTY page you linked to there.

Could you do a correct link to it?
  • Segreta - Sanctuary
    Segreta - Sanctuary Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rtsprite wrote: »
    So I do really have to feed the pet every 5 minutes I have it out? I won't spend real life money just for a tome. How on earth can I carry enough food with me, my carry bag is quite small? This makes no sense...

Pure Water is like...50 coins each?

And you can stack...2000 Pure Waters on a Single Slot of your inventory
    2000x5 = 10.000 Minutes or 166 Hours....

You get broke by spending 50 coins every 5 mins?

Really?
    Iam Segreta,Queen of the Chicken Kingdom,proud owner of the legendary Blue Chicken,BEHOLD Mortals o,o^
    Current # Chickens:
    ^,^ <- My Cleric <3
    o,o <- My Veno
    n_n <- My Bm
    =,= <- My Barb *Used as Mount*
    >,o <- My Sin(Stealth all the time for no reason)
    edited May 2011
    Options
    In early levels, I kept a stack of Pure Water and a stack of Sesame Oils. The water took a single slot in my inventory and the oils a single slot in my safe. The latter came out only when I had a newly hatched pet, and eventually, I wised up and only bought sesame's when I just tamed a new pet.

I'd suggest emptying your bag every time you go to town and prioritising what you want to carry around. Pick up every stack of coins, DQ item and gear drop that you can carry. Things like ammo you can trash as you can really only make money off the higher level arrows/bolts/shot if you merchant it to other players. Do the banker quests for free extra slots in your bank.

Also, keep your pet stowed when you're not fighting. It won't get hungry if it's in your bag.

If you do all of that, you only need to kill about 1 mob every minute (assuming mobs around your level drop on average 10 coins) to break even.

It may seem a little daunting at first, but it's not as bad as may seem.

Bridigan probably meant to look here:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Ultimate_Pet_List

Not all the information is there, but it's fairly thorough. But keep in mind that it's all the tamables and not just the good ones.
  • rtsprite
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You gotta understand, I have all newbie characters, and my repair bills can almost be as much as what I get from vendoring the junk and any quest reward money I recieve. It can seem like nothing for someone who has been playing for a while to spend 50 every 5 minutes. It is easy to forget what it was like when first starting out in a game like this.

I do really like the way this class sounds, BUT will focus on the less expensive classes at first and also being my crafting up. Some of the first tier potions sell for a lot to the vendor, so I will do that to get some money saved up, then start playing my cute fox girl more then. :)

One last question. Do I have to feed it every 5 minutes if I use better food?
  • Segreta - Sanctuary
    Segreta - Sanctuary Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You gotta understand, I have all newbie characters, and my repair bills can almost be as much as what I get from vendoring the junk and any quest reward money I recieve. It can seem like nothing for someone who has been playing for a while to spend 50 every 5 minutes. It is easy to forget what it was like when first starting out in a game like this.

I do really like the way this class sounds, BUT will focus on the less expensive classes at first and also being my crafting up. Some of the first tier potions sell for a lot to the vendor, so I will do that to get some money saved up, then start playing my cute fox girl more then. :)

If you think a Veno's Repair bill is high and/or its an expensive class then let me give you a little advice:

Veno is the cheapest class,and that's for sure.

Also no,no matter which food you use,you will always have to feed it every 5 mins.
    The quality of the food influence the loyality it gives.
    Iam Segreta,Queen of the Chicken Kingdom,proud owner of the legendary Blue Chicken,BEHOLD Mortals o,o^
    Current # Chickens:
    ^,^ <- My Cleric <3
    o,o <- My Veno
    n_n <- My Bm
    =,= <- My Barb *Used as Mount*
    >,o <- My Sin(Stealth all the time for no reason)
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you think a Veno's Repair bill is high and/or its an expensive class then let me give you a little advice:

Also no,no matter which food you use,you will always have to feed it every 5 mins.

+1

Even if you say that you tried out all classes. Veno is indeed the cheapest class. 99% of the playerbase will confirm it. Maybe its hard for you at the moment, but if you use AA build you will never need MP/HP pots (and even if then VERY VERY rarely). Other this this, since your pet can take over the tank job you dont have that high repair bills.
    Pure Water is very cheap. Start with it, you can farm later on better food from mobs.

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guide_to_Taming_and_Raising_Pets#Feeding_Pets_and_Loyalty

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Mystical_Tome
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Cost for necessary skills = 7-10 million
    Cost for herc/nix = 90-100 million
    Cost for Building decent normal pet = round to 4 million , less if u find good deals in AH
    Cost for buying tome = 1 million
    Cost for decent weapon and gear = 8-18 weapon , 4 for each piece of armor with shards + extra for refines. = way higher for endgame

I dont think veno is really that cheap class. It just the only class that has a balanced need of money through the lvling process while others may face problems at higher lvls ( ex. Archers sins get most int stuff 90+ that costs a lot).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    At very early levels, pick up ALL the ammo you can find... it's more valuable than the coin drops, or even the equipment drops from levels 1-~10.

Repair bills for venos are very low (mostly weapon repairs from casting, your armor and ornaments take very little damage because your pet is tanking... and if it isn't tanking, you need to practice better aggro control, so it can tank.) Also, past the mid-40s, the potion budget of a veno is very small, thanks to nature's grace, soul transfusion and metabolic boost. Unless you have a herc or nix, your food budget is small. If you have one of the legendary pets, be prepared to shell out for a tome (not the one in the boutique which you have to replace every week, but a permanent one made in-game from mystical tome fragments and pages) or go broke keeping it fed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited May 2011
    Options

um. my veno became my main char within weeks after i started playing, and became my highest leveled char before she hit 20. i played with that good old one pure water every five minutes system for well over sixty levels, and though i've got a fair bit of coin now, it definitely wasn't always so. i assure you, i remember being unable to buy all the stuff i wanted before starting out on my next quest because of running out of coin; it still happens, only now it's because i've sunk all my on-hand coin into skills first, and am too lazy to go to the bank... =)

(pet's face in the little circle turn green? hit the hotkey for pure water. it got to be such an ingrained reflex, after i got my tome, i walked around the map with an odd feeling for many days; "something's wrong, but what is it? oh yeah, i haven't fed my pet all session --- i have a tome now, i no longer need to. duh.")

pet food is not a huge cost. it's 52 coin per pure water, i used to buy it in stacks of 250 to make it an even 13,000 coin bill; such a stack could last me most of a week of gameplay. one week of veno-style grinding can make MUCH more than 13k coin of pure profit, even after repairs and upgrades, i assure you! yes, even in the lower levels! when i finally got a tome a while ago, it was because i wanted the extra mag and had started building towards a level-3 tome for a much longer-term goal.

(and yes, it's every five minutes no matter what quality food you use. the more expensive kinds get you more loyalty for your pet; they're worth it to get the loyalty bar maxed out at first, but not after you hit 500 loyalty any longer.)

i quit paying for potions when i got soul transfusion. so long as your pet does all the tanking, that skill alone can keep you from running out of MP. haven't bought either a HP or a MP potion since, and i've sold most of the ones i've picked up, though i did get some from the divine emissaries to keep as an emergency reserve.

as best i can tell, the most expensive class to play may be one of the earthguards, because of potion/apoth expenses. or possibly a barb, because of repairs. wizards and psys probably get expensive later on, because of needing good gear, but neither of mine are that far along yet. having played every class to at least some extent, the veno's the cheapest by far in my experience.