I know many complain about packs/game problems, but I still love PWI

Options
Congenial - Heavens Tear
Congenial - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
There has been a lot of drama recently because of pack sales and the eventual rising of gold prices, but to be honest, I can't help but still love the game despite all the shortcomings that it has. And I'm wondering, do you love the game too?

There is so much hatred on the forums, I see threads going, PACKS ARE NOT WORTH IT. But I think that there is a flaw in players understanding about packs.

To me, I don't really open packs for Soaring Badge, or for Scroll of Tome, or things along those lines really. It would be a wonderful bonus, yes, but I'm opening packs for the tokens. With which I can make skillbooks for myself, or to sell to players. I can make flawless shards at cheaper costs, and combine them into immaculates, or even higher, than buying shabbies and combining from them. I can get hyper stones, makeover scroll and even a supply stash in case no one is selling perfect stones at a decent price anymore. There's quite a lot of things to be thankful for in packs.

I know, I know. Some players argue that the whole point of packs is to get the rare items. Like mounts, aerogear, scroll of tome, WTLG and whatever else, but the word we have to focus on is "rare". I mean really, if Soaring Tokens were that easy to get, it wouldn't be a coveted aerogear now would it?

But despite everything, and people saying that this game is broken and a fail, I implore you to ask yourselves, are you really happy to see PWI go? Because I'm not. And I hope that if you see packs and other things happening in PW in a rational manner, maybe you'll start appreciating more and trying to get others to do the same.

I love PWI. The people, everything really. Yes, it's not as friendly, as easy as it was before. But as long as we don't stoop down to the level of arrogant players and whatever else, I think PWI can still remain to be an amazing community, don't you agree?
Barbs played right are like celebrities, you are welcome in every party - Fistol (Raging Tide)
You're a fantastic barb, and I'd go anywhere with you - Merria (Heavens Tear)

I'm a chick barb, and I'm proud of it. b:pleased
Post edited by Congenial - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Vorgen - Sanctuary
    Vorgen - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I agree with you 110% My fellow barb!

I have been playing this game since 2008 and this game just really hasn't gotten boring for me. I have a Great Faction (Awakening) i have great friends who play....yes i cash shop be the first to admit it. But despite all the moaning and complaining(has done it to) I still love this game!b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I was honestly fine w/ this game till they decided to remove the medals, with no warning, and completely **** over what previously had been a nice economy where both cash shoppers, farmers, and merchants all had viable strategies to make good money.

Now they've made it so ONLY cash shoppers have the big advantage. DQ prices are nothing now, and they've left the game unbalanced because half of the people have R9, the other half dont.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There has been a lot of drama recently because of pack sales and the eventual rising of gold prices, but to be honest, I can't help but still love the game despite all the shortcomings that it has. And I'm wondering, do you love the game too?

There is so much hatred on the forums, I see threads going, PACKS ARE NOT WORTH IT. But I think that there is a flaw in players understanding about packs.

To me, I don't really open packs for Soaring Badge, or for Scroll of Tome, or things along those lines really. It would be a wonderful bonus, yes, but I'm opening packs for the tokens. With which I can make skillbooks for myself, or to sell to players. I can make flawless shards at cheaper costs, and combine them into immaculates, or even higher, than buying shabbies and combining from them. I can get hyper stones, makeover scroll and even a supply stash in case no one is selling perfect stones at a decent price anymore. There's quite a lot of things to be thankful for in packs.

I know, I know. Some players argue that the whole point of packs is to get the rare items. Like mounts, aerogear, scroll of tome, WTLG and whatever else, but the word we have to focus on is "rare". I mean really, if Soaring Tokens were that easy to get, it wouldn't be a coveted aerogear now would it?

But despite everything, and people saying that this game is broken and a fail, I implore you to ask yourselves, are you really happy to see PWI go? Because I'm not. And I hope that if you see packs and other things happening in PW in a rational manner, maybe you'll start appreciating more and trying to get others to do the same.

I love PWI. The people, everything really. Yes, it's not as friendly, as easy as it was before. But as long as we don't stoop down to the level of arrogant players and whatever else, I think PWI can still remain to be an amazing community, don't you agree?

While I agree w/ most of what you stated, I must implore you to look at the point of view of the "QQers" of the community. Most of why the community is upset, is... Look at gold. Let's start there, shall we? The thing boasted about this game when it was released in the International-zone, is the fact that it has a way to make coin in-game and transfer that in-game coin into Gold, which is a currency which can only be gotten by this method or Cashshopping.

Why is this an issue?

My server says gold is about 1.2m at this present moment. After this sale, gold will most definitely nearly reach 2m. You feelin' me yet? Let me continue.

Take a look at what's in the Boutique. What you will find are common items such as a smiley set, which sells for 75 silver. Not a bad price, right? 75 silver is basically 75 cents USD, if you think about it. No big deal right? Are you willing to pay roughly 2m to make a smiley set for yourself, using the in-game currency? If you are, maybe your not a serious gamer, which is okay... But the people that are "QQing" are generally serious gamers, and want to see this game successful.

The people that put these items on sale, which rise gold prices are the staff of Perfect World Entertainment. The marketing staff to be exact. Putting "packs" in the Boutique, started w/ Anni packs ages ago. Since then, the only players that have really enjoyed these packs, are serious gamers and massive cashshoppers.

The major issue is this...

The economy is dependent upon the packs now. Take the packs away, and prices return to Boutique-related prices which is set at a rate of what gold costs to transfer w/ in-game coin. The items not obtained from the Boutique, such as end-game gear + pots rise. Until people realize at that point, that it's better to farm 5+ months to obtain the gear, rather than by a 600m+ scroll of tome, etc.

If packs that contained end-game gear we're never introduced, the economy wouldn't rely on 'em. It's as simple as that.

While I do enjoy this game, very much... I've said it over 9000 times, that a monkey could run this game better than Perfect World Entertainment's staff do (as well as PW-CN's developers).

Taking packs out of the Boutique, wouldn't kill the game by the way. It would just change the way people obtain the items, gear, pots, etc.
  • LShattered - Heavens Tear
    LShattered - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,365 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What's your point?

/maybe I should read the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ☆Heavy Armor Venomancer since level 1☆
    Previously known as _Surreal_b:avoid

Sig by me.

[=>theempire.ucoz.com<=]
  • RouxLouka - Dreamweaver
    RouxLouka - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There is really nothing wrong with packs, except that they keep putting up sales. If the sales never existed, gold would still be at 400-500k. Each time they lower the price, gold shoots up even more.

PWI got desperate to make money with a crappy pack like coral packs (which clearly had the worst rates), and it screwed up the gold prices horribly ever since.
    /quit.

</3 All packs/Awful community.
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Taking packs out of the Boutique, wouldn't kill the game by the way. It would just change the way people obtain the items, gear, pots, etc.

It would put....and keep a HUGE gap between up and comeing gamers, and endgame geared players. To the point they may never catch up. Because the already advanced geared players will have the advantage of being able to progress, while the not so lucky will still be stuck in 5+ months of catch up hell, just to get to a point of more catching up.

Medals being taken out after easy access was just a taste of what would happen without the advantage of packs. only 5aps people will own instances, and caster classes will be paying out the rear just for a nice piece endgame item..

Only way to take out packs, is to change the way people obtain endgame gears now,
    re
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It would put....and keep a HUGE gap between up and comeing gamers, and endgame geared players. To the point they may never catch up. Because the already advanced geared players will have the advantage of being able to progress, while the not so lucky will still be stuck in 5+ months of catch up hell, just to get to a point of more catching up.

Medals being taken out after easy access was just a taste of what would happen without the advantage of packs. only 5aps people will own instances, and caster classes will be paying out the rear just for a nice piece endgame item..

Only way to take out packs, is to change the way people obtain endgame gears now,

Oh trust me mate, I completely agree w/ you, 100%. It's just like the medals, where the only way to get 'em now is one per week on a random territory.

All I was saying, is if packs did leave and never come back... It wouldn't be a game breaker. I agree that people would have to farm the end-game gear, and just like the medals, people who got the items while they we're abundant, will have an advantage. It would suck, yes. I completely agree, and many people would realize this and quit.

In the end, now that packs have been out so long, the economy relies solely on them. It's a good and bad thing, generally. Honestly, they should keep them permanently in the Boutique for the normal non-sale rates. That way, gold will at least stay at a steady pace under 1m, and people could still acquire end-game gear.
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the good side to packs: lower token prices b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm opening packs for the tokens. With which I can make skillbooks for myself, or to sell to players. I can make flawless shards at cheaper costs, and combine them into immaculates, or even higher, than buying shabbies and combining from them.

eh..i dont really get it, why someone would open packs for the tokens
    Pack price = 500k~ means 15 tokens are worth like 34k~
    Tokens in catshop each worth 10k...so you actually losing money if you buy packs only for token propose O.o common sence?
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    eh..i dont really get it, why someone would open packs for the tokens
    Pack price = 500k~ means 15 tokens are worth like 34k~
    Tokens in catshop each worth 10k...so you actually losing money if you buy packs only for token propose O.o common sense?

I had to fix it, the grammar **** voice in my head told me to. b:surrender Or is it grammer? Let's discuss :D

Also... yeah... gotta agree with some things said here, whether packs are taken out or remain on sale PWE can't win because either way some part of the community will be unhappy. However.. since pack sales majorly benefit cash shoppers because they result in higher gold prices you can damn well bet they'll keep giving them to us, after all why would the upset their precious cash shoppers? PW's a slave to the almighty buck. Oh well.. at least they keep the game running right? b:surrender
  • Finaler - Raging Tide
    Finaler - Raging Tide Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    would i care if pwi was shut down? no. cuz i know it's a game. I mean it's not even my main game mostly. If anything I hope the rumor is true that pwe is trying to sell pwi cuz if it gets picked up by a good publisher[pwe is a publisher not a developer they mostly just translate and implement the english language version of the game].
    also known as notes or maxer depending on the server.

resident lowbie of tao
  • ChloeAgave - Archosaur
    ChloeAgave - Archosaur Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I've been playing since open beta, I still love this game. The game isn't the problem, the quality of the players is. Everyone here knows they are greedy. I'll even admit I am, not crazy greedy, but I am much more so than when I started this game. It's not that I wanted to, it's survival in this game for me. I used to play a "FPS" game called Gunz. Worst community you could ever imagine of players. So bad, I sometimes hesitate to even mention I played it because I might be associated as one of "those players." Still, I loved the game.

It's not so much the packs as what is in them, as others have said in here. We all love the packs, whether we admit it or not. We love that so many items which were once extremely rare and expensive are now much cheaper. When PWI started, it was rare to see people sharding with Flawless stones, that was considered a rich person's luxury. Now, everyone and their grandmother's uncle has Flawless shards in their gear.

They won't take out these items in the packs (as that is why they sell so greatly), so we need a good coin sink to take out a lot of the money in the game, lowering the price of gold. Want a good coin sink? Put a 1 million coin fee on opening FFC, instantly you have a great coin sink. Yep, people are going to be pissed about it, they will rage and QQ all over, but at least gold will go down. Besides, that is only 166k per person in a full squad, really not all that much. Go to TT 1-2 once and you will have that in mats most likely. Get a decent mold, you will have at least a week of FCing once a day.
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    would i care if pwi was shut down? no. cuz i know it's a game. I mean it's not even my main game mostly. If anything I hope the rumor is true that pwe is trying to sell pwi cuz if it gets picked up by a good publisher[pwe is a publisher not a developer they mostly just translate and implement the english language version of the game].

I dont invest any money in PWI cause if they shut down i dont want to QQ about it.
    Here are players who had to quit the game cause they almost lost their house or have huge debts cause of pwi (no joke i saw many). i saw 13 years old girls buying packs worth 2k with her parents CC and she got nothing than tokens. So i doubt PWE intends to sell PWI either. At the moment this game just brings to much money which they need to envelope FW. As for greed, players dont care anymore about social contacts or their repuation among the server, cause all they want is to get the best gear and to show off...

@Zan: its fine, i dont mind if someone corrects me. i prefer to learn. Had issues before as well with than=then...
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Finaler - Raging Tide
    Finaler - Raging Tide Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i suggest a boycott on the pack sale.
    also known as notes or maxer depending on the server.

resident lowbie of tao
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont invest any money in PWI cause if they shut down i dont want to QQ about it.
    Here are players who had to quit the game cause they almost lost their house or have huge debts cause of pwi (no joke i saw many). i saw 13 years old girls buying packs worth 2k with her parents CC and she got nothing than tokens. So i doubt PWE intends to sell PWI either. At the moment this game just brings to much money which they need to envelope FW. As for greed, players dont care anymore about social contacts or their repuation among the server, cause all they want is to get the best gear and to show off...

@Zan: its fine, i dont mind if someone corrects me. i prefer to learn. Had issues before as well with than=then...

Don't tell Okeano that o.o He would destroy you with nerdrage if he ever saw you use than and then interchangeably. True story. b:surrender
  • Congenial - Heavens Tear
    Congenial - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So we've found a couple of inherent problems. But what I noticed is that most people are annoyed with either gold prices and/or Medals of Glory being removed from DQ reward system.

Gold prices

We cannot blame packs itself for this. Yes, demand for packs makes prices soar, but this is inevitable. Even if they removed packs for a long time and gold prices drop, given enough time, prices will soar once more because there would be an increasing number of players thanks to PWI reaching out to social media like Facebook and that's one hell of a powerhouse for exposure.

Gold prices will still rise because more players means a greater demand, and by economics demand/supply law, prices will soar. It's a matter of time.

Yes packs are making that rise go faster than normal, but it's not like the packs are completely useless. We all claim that we need Crab Meat and Jiaoxi and whatever else. We now have cheap shards for our equipment, without the packs, prices of OTHER items will soar and we have another form of whining all over again.

Isn't it best to just adopt to the changes and try to handle it as best we can?

And I'm sure developers are not as brainless as what many people have made them out to be. The costs for handling servers, and managing bandwidth and ensuring a safe game environment doesn't come cheap. It is only natural that they try their best to keep the game "free" for players who don't wanna spend real life money, but they still allow people who are willing to contribute to have something (hence the boutique).

I mean at least now we have more packs, and there is a variety of items that can be won from aerogear, weapons and so on. I'm sure once things are slightly more saturated, they could tweak the items in those packs to make it worth the money/coins spent on them in the first place.

Medals of Glory

Yes I was sad when this happened too but then again, I'm not too sure whether I can hti 101 but that's a separate thread.

Put it this way. Wasn't there a period of time when Medals of Glory wasn't in the DQ system? And it was impossible to get rank 9? And everyone was whining about how it was impossible for anyone to get rank 9. Then it was introduced into the DQ system, (and it was an idea by the PWI side to the PW-CN) and suddenly R9 popped out everywhere. ANYONE could get it, if you're 101 with a boatload of coins or tonnes of DQ items.

It was removed because PW-CN disapproved of it. PWI wanted it to be more available for the players because they UNDERSTOOD that the game dynamics changed. Refinement now is super common and they wanted to help players stand out. Before R9 came out, there was the Legendary weapons, where you use items forged at that NPC (god I cannto remember, that monstrosity just across Head Hunter in Archosaur) with Attack Level 50. Everyone was whining about those items then.

The point is, I'm sure with enough time, and enough consideration by both PWI and PW-CN side, I trust them to come with some consensus to let players achieve something that is POWERFUL and not completely impossible to do.

Jones Blessing is a good example of that, no?
    Barbs played right are like celebrities, you are welcome in every party - Fistol (Raging Tide)
    You're a fantastic barb, and I'd go anywhere with you - Merria (Heavens Tear)

I'm a chick barb, and I'm proud of it. b:pleased
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Put it this way. Wasn't there a period of time when Medals of Glory wasn't in the DQ system? And it was impossible to get rank 9? And everyone was whining about how it was impossible for anyone to get rank 9. Then it was introduced into the DQ system, (and it was an idea by the PWI side to the PW-CN) and suddenly R9 popped out everywhere. ANYONE could get it, if you're 101 with a boatload of coins or tonnes of DQ items.

It was removed because PW-CN disapproved of it. PWI wanted it to be more available for the players because they UNDERSTOOD that the game dynamics changed. Refinement now is super common and they wanted to help players stand out. Before R9 came out, there was the Legendary weapons, where you use items forged at that NPC (god I cannto remember, that monstrosity just across Head Hunter in Archosaur) with Attack Level 50. Everyone was whining about those items then.

I must interject. PW-CN had nothing to do w/ Medals getting the boot from the DQ points system. It wasn't that it was too easy either. I know, I know... The community manager here, Frankie will tell a different story. However, the Medals we're put into the Boutique (25 gold each if I remember correctly), while they we're obtainable once per week per random land, and obtainable via DQ points system. When you put end-game gear in the cashshop in a MMO, for a set price of 25 gold per (need 20 in total), and later call it too easy to get... Your begging to get ripped a new one. Which is what the community did, and I doubt they will ever let Frankie and his staff live it down. Cashshop prices are based off of the marketing team of Perfect World Entertainment.

All in all, they we're taken out of the Boutique and DQ system, so that in the future people will be deprived of them on all servers. People that had farmed their asses off and had 17/20 medals, etc etc, will now HAVE to buy the Medals to get R9. If they don't, all the hard work of farming was wasted. Whatever price PWE's marketing team wants, they can set it to. 25 gold is cheap as balls. Let's be honest, if they put them back in the Boutique for 50-75 gold, I'd be shocked. Honestly, I'm expecting higher prices than that. Might as well milk the money train while it lasts, amirite?