I'm truly astonished.

Options
hines86ward
hines86ward Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
I don't consider myself to be one who takes this game as seriously as many of us do, and I have a few considerably lucrative money-making 'shortcuts' in my possession, so I'm not particularly bothered by this. Just overwhelmingly disappointed.

Sunshine Packs are on sale for a whole month. Immediately after, the Easy Rider Packs are introduced and appear on sale for yet another month. Half way through the Rider Pack sale, they bring back Tiger/Sunshine/Coral Packs for another two weeks?? Typically I just dismiss issues like this as part of the obvious (and dirty) agenda this game has for taking advantage of those who are addicted to it (it does). What's leaving me befuddled is the way this new sale is being promoted: "Return of the Packs!", as if we were to have not seen Packs for ages, as if ONE SINGLE PLAYER was actually thinking "you know what we could use? A pack sale."

I have yet to utter a single word of disapproval in regards to the staff's commitment (or lack thereof) to fix the many issues that plague Perfect World. Frankly, I don't even concern myself with them enough to have a solid grasp of what they are, but with as much complaining as I see (especially on the forums), a good portion of you are bound to have pinpointed issues that legitimately need fixing, at least to a small degree.

The fact that, in my experience so far with the game, the backbone of weekly (monthly) sales is made up of items that specifically exploit not one but TWO weaknesses (for lack of a better word) that many of us tend to succumb to (spending too much cash on this game, and the all-too-common addiction to gambling), in my humblest of opinions, amounts to nothing more than a collective middle-finger from the entire staff.

I'll conclude with a legitimate question: Having been here for just under half a year, I'm unaware of how often this kind of thing happens. Have Packs always been on sale 85% of the time? The fact that most mounts in the Cash Shop are considerably more expensive than so-called "Rare" mounts would lead me to believe otherwise. I'd like to know if there's a saving grace here, if at the VERY least, opening Packs can be used as an investment: If those who actually hold on to their Pack items/tokens can actually hope to see their prices rise in the future. Can we eventually expect a period of time without Packs long enough for their contents to actually build up some kind of value? Does anyone NOT share my opinion on these issues? I would love to see some discussion here. Not complaining (although it seems inevitable), but just some help in shedding some light on all of this.
Post edited by hines86ward on

Comments

• Velven - Heavens Tear
    Velven - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I can't even remember when there wasn't a pack sale happening anymore...
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think it is more like 95% of the time packs have been in boutique, since the first anni packs. If we get a break the gods are smiling down on us and we have been blessed. When packs are away people QQ too much about how tokens are 15k. There's no winning really.
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I remember when packs never existed...*cries a little inside*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • RouxLouka - Dreamweaver
    RouxLouka - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If gold goes up even more because of this, there is no hope for the players of pwi.
    /quit.

</3 All packs/Awful community.
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Packs have been here ever since, erm, was it their 2010 anniversary when they stuck in anniversary packs in? of course they saw the insane money they made out of this little deal thing, which was great because it was just a "one time thing", so before then, the game was free of this plague.

People had to actually level up, farm for there stuff more often then not, instead of now with it simply being a cash bag for PWE to exploit its moronic addicted players to gambling on the packs, it's a shame you didn't get to enjoy the game before that time as it was truely great, even normal players could do TW and actually have fun instead of the "you didn't CS your gear? then die in 1-3 shots."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Naturion - Dreamweaver
    Naturion - Dreamweaver Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    if we could atleast have 1 pack free week every month i would be happy, atleast gold would go down, but at this rate gold will never go down...
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Packs have been here ever since, erm, was it their 2010 anniversary when they stuck in anniversary packs in? of course they saw the insane money they made out of this little deal thing, which was great because it was just a "one time thing", so before then, the game was free of this plague.

People had to actually level up, farm for there stuff more often then not, instead of now with it simply being a cash bag for PWE to exploit its moronic addicted players to gambling on the packs, it's a shame you didn't get to enjoy the game before that time as it was truely great, even normal players could do TW and actually have fun instead of the "you didn't CS your gear? then die in 1-3 shots."

2009 b:cry

@ Nat It takes at least 2 weeks without packs for gold to drop, that is assuming orbs arent on sale in the middle.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Packs have been here ever since, erm, was it their 2010 anniversary when they stuck in anniversary packs in?

Actually, the first ones were in September 2009.
  • Naturion - Dreamweaver
    Naturion - Dreamweaver Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    QQ, Aubree can u force the devs to stop with the pack sales so gold prices can go doown please?b:chuckle
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

September '09 was the very first round of pack sales.

They were originally slated to be removed after september (and iirc, they were), but because of their "popularity" the staff brought them back a week later or so.

The intervals between how long they were removed from boutique after each sale slowly decreased from that time onwards until they were permanently added.

Nowadays, the sales seem to go through a regular schedule: 1 month of no reduced price sales, then 3 months with price reduction. At least, to me it seems that way.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wish Nat, but all we can do is wait for some god damn empathy. I think GM are apathetic, maybe a bit narcissistic and sadistic too. You know I think packs sell a lot better when they haven't been in for a while. Well Thats when I like to buy some anyway.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Really? You're astonished that they did something greedy? Seriously?

I'm astonished that you're astonished. b:surrender
  • hines86ward
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's one thing for us players to complain about matters that aren't being taken care of. It's something completely different, though, for us to ask the staff to "stop" something. It's glaringly obvious that the consensus among players seems to strongly favor the idea of backing off the Pack sales for a while. The staff claims to notice these issues that are constantly brought up: APS being overpowered, rank badges, certain level caps, updating old classes, ect. I understand that they might be completely unable to address our concerns regarding those matters, but I refuse to believe that it isn't in their power to answer our collective call to take a break on Pack sales. I understand that a good amount of complaining would take place if Packs disappeared for a while, but it can't be more than our current unhappiness with their consistent sale. Furthermore, it diversifies the economy and is a step towards giving equal opportunities to players. I don't see how they can just keep this up.
    Really? You're astonished that they did something greedy? Seriously?

I'm astonished that you're astonished. b:surrender

Not that. I'm astonished at how much reason these sales lack on so many levels.
  • Lurani - Raging Tide
    Lurani - Raging Tide Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wish they would lay off pack sales for 2-3 months. Prices of gold could at least drop to nearly 600k-700k at most.
    I'm sorry but 1 gold = 1.2 or 1.3mil is bull sht.
  • hines86ward
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Backing off the Pack sales would at least give everyone the opportunity to make investments and add an element of balance to the economy.
  • Fishlips - Harshlands
    Fishlips - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    but its not PWI driving gold price up its us.....if ppls would stop buying gold for 2 weeks it would drop.I think it just us doing it a put it off on pwi they just try to make this game pay for it self and a nice little some thing in the bank.if i own pwi i would do what there doing. we have to stop and look on the other hand some time. pwi is damn if they do and damn if they dont. me i am damn if i do anything.....b:shutup
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Backing off the Pack sales would at least give everyone the opportunity to make investments and add an element of balance to the economy.

Clickeh
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Tyramera - Dreamweaver
    Tyramera - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I can't even remember when there wasn't a pack sale happening anymore...

Good...good...that's right Velven. There has always been a pack sale in PWI, and we have always been at war with Eastasia. Now stare at that image of frankie and think about how much you love him.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's one thing for us players to complain about matters that aren't being taken care of. It's something completely different, though, for us to ask the staff to "stop" something. It's glaringly obvious that the consensus among players seems to strongly favor the idea of backing off the Pack sales for a while. The staff claims to notice these issues that are constantly brought up: APS being overpowered, rank badges, certain level caps, updating old classes, ect. I understand that they might be completely unable to address our concerns regarding those matters, but I refuse to believe that it isn't in their power to answer our collective call to take a break on Pack sales. I understand that a good amount of complaining would take place if Packs disappeared for a while, but it can't be more than our current unhappiness with their consistent sale. Furthermore, it diversifies the economy and is a step towards giving equal opportunities to players. I don't see how they can just keep this up.

You might be surprised to hear this, but the forum community here is made up of a pretty small percentage of the players. Anything seen on here cannot be considered "general consensus" due to the lack of input from those not actively participating in the forum community, but who actively play the game.

See my above comment. Also, how many people remember the last time the packs were gone for a while? The forums were flooded with threads requesting packs be added back because of the rising cost of tokens and things bought through use of the tokens.

Overall, I don't think people really understand the impact that packs have had on the economy, and will still have, long after they are gone (if they ever are gone). After taking packs out, gold in the trade system may go down in price, but token-obtained items that people rely on like herb yuanxiao and crab meat will exponentially increase in price. This, coupled with the lost income from gold sales dropping, will prevent anyone but the elite of the elite from getting those two powerful items. Sorry to say it, but I'm not really seeing the benefit of packs going away...
  • Velven - Heavens Tear
    Velven - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Good...good...that's right Velven. There has always been a pack sale in PWI, and we have always been at war with Eastasia. Now stare at that image of frankie and think about how much you love him.

I... love... frankie? I think I do... yes, I DO!
  • Belgare - Sanctuary
    Belgare - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't consider myself to be one who takes this game as seriously as many of us do, and I have a few considerably lucrative money-making 'shortcuts' in my possession, so I'm not particularly bothered by this. Just overwhelmingly disappointed.

Sunshine Packs are on sale for a whole month. Immediately after, the Easy Rider Packs are introduced and appear on sale for yet another month. Half way through the Rider Pack sale, they bring back Tiger/Sunshine/Coral Packs for another two weeks?? Typically I just dismiss issues like this as part of the obvious (and dirty) agenda this game has for taking advantage of those who are addicted to it (it does). What's leaving me befuddled is the way this new sale is being promoted: "Return of the Packs!", as if we were to have not seen Packs for ages, as if ONE SINGLE PLAYER was actually thinking "you know what we could use? A pack sale."

I have yet to utter a single word of disapproval in regards to the staff's commitment (or lack thereof) to fix the many issues that plague Perfect World. Frankly, I don't even concern myself with them enough to have a solid grasp of what they are, but with as much complaining as I see (especially on the forums), a good portion of you are bound to have pinpointed issues that legitimately need fixing, at least to a small degree.

The fact that, in my experience so far with the game, the backbone of weekly (monthly) sales is made up of items that specifically exploit not one but TWO weaknesses (for lack of a better word) that many of us tend to succumb to (spending too much cash on this game, and the all-too-common addiction to gambling), in my humblest of opinions, amounts to nothing more than a collective middle-finger from the entire staff.

I'll conclude with a legitimate question: Having been here for just under half a year, I'm unaware of how often this kind of thing happens. Have Packs always been on sale 85% of the time? The fact that most mounts in the Cash Shop are considerably more expensive than so-called "Rare" mounts would lead me to believe otherwise. I'd like to know if there's a saving grace here, if at the VERY least, opening Packs can be used as an investment: If those who actually hold on to their Pack items/tokens can actually hope to see their prices rise in the future. Can we eventually expect a period of time without Packs long enough for their contents to actually build up some kind of value? Does anyone NOT share my opinion on these issues? I would love to see some discussion here. Not complaining (although it seems inevitable), but just some help in shedding some light on all of this.

You have taken the words out of my fingers...

When I read the title for the blog I was very let down. You always assume PWI doesn't care about anyone, and then they make a blog post about "return of the packs, round and round and round", which to me reads like, "Yep, we're bringing packs back, try to do something about it b!tches!! LOLLLL!!! b:kiss"

I find its presentation insulting. And any inclination I had to charge some zen and get some packs is GONE. Never buying packs again. And I was someone who liked opening them.
  • Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver
    Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Tip:Don't buy packs I have lost 8M on packs so if you see them >.>
    RUN FOR YOU"RE LIVES!
    Long ago in a distant land,I Aku the shape shifting master of gods
    unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.Before the final blow was stroked I do opened a portal in time and send him into the future were my evil is grown.Now the fool seems to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tollingbell - Sanctuary
    Tollingbell - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I hate to be the (zillionth) bearer of bad news, but pack sales and the resulting high gold prices are excellent for short-term revenue. They can shut this thing down tomorrow and laugh all the way to the bank if they want, but they'll keep doing it as long as it works. I'm just thinking about what they'll think of to raise gold even more, and no worries, they'll think of something.
    It's TollingBell b:angry
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    You might be surprised to hear this, but the forum community here is made up of a pretty small percentage of the players. Anything seen on here cannot be considered "general consensus" due to the lack of input from those not actively participating in the forum community, but who actively play the game.

Ok, true enough.

See my above comment. Also, how many people remember the last time the packs were gone for a while? The forums were flooded with threads requesting packs be added back because of the rising cost of tokens and things bought through use of the tokens.

But as you noted in your first paragraph, people in this forum are a "pretty small percentage of the players"... Contradiction much?

Overall, I don't think people really understand the impact that packs have had on the economy, and will still have, long after they are gone (if they ever are gone). After taking packs out, gold in the trade system may go down in price, but token-obtained items that people rely on like herb yuanxiao and crab meat will exponentially increase in price. This, coupled with the lost income from gold sales dropping, will prevent anyone but the elite of the elite from getting those two powerful items. Sorry to say it, but I'm not really seeing the benefit of packs going away...

It's completely linear, actually.

b:bye
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ...The fact that, in my experience so far with the game, the backbone of weekly (monthly) sales is made up of items that specifically exploit not one but TWO weaknesses (for lack of a better word) that many of us tend to succumb to (spending too much cash on this game, and the all-too-common addiction to gambling), in my humblest of opinions, amounts to nothing more than a collective middle-finger from the entire staff....

PWE marketing has been flipping us a collective bird since they saw the earnings statement for Sept. '09. I flipped them one of my own, once, and all it got me for my trouble was a forum perma-ban on my main character.

I don't even bother anymore, the constant sales and complete disregard for anything but a player's wallet has destroyed this game beyond hope of saving. Even if the PW-CN devs turned it all around in the next patch, completely rebalancing classes, tweaking this and that, pouring in tons of new content for middle & endgame... it still wouldn't heal the damage PWE's marketing guys have done, and would continue to do.

The game is effectively dead - pack sales are just PWE's idea of a defibrillator to prevent actual cardiac arrest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • Xyrika - Archosaur
    Xyrika - Archosaur Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    honestly whats wrong with you??
    remember the time before the last sale? No? The forum was full of "please bring back packs, we need the token".. Year, they listened and now the forum is full of "please no more packs"
    So decide what you want!!!

If you don't like the packs, so what you don't have to buy them, but consider prices for nearly everything will raise when sale is over, because you need tokens for most aspects of that game or do you farm your wine for BH, don't you like 75-pots and so on...
    Stop complaining about everything..
  • XLeetSauce - Dreamweaver
    XLeetSauce - Dreamweaver Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    honestly whats wrong with you??
    remember the time before the last sale? No? The forum was full of "please bring back packs, we need the token".. Year, they listened and now the forum is full of "please no more packs"
    So decide what you want!!!

If you don't like the packs, so what you don't have to buy them, but consider prices for nearly everything will raise when sale is over, because you need tokens for most aspects of that game or do you farm your wine for BH, don't you like 75-pots and so on...
    Stop complaining about everything..

thats just it. the sale is never over. it may go away for a week or two but it always comes back in full force. i dont want packs to go away. i do need the tokens and other goodies inside of them. but for christ sake we already have a pack sale going on why do we need another one?

someone said earlier that the time frame between pack sales was decreasing. now its just not there. we are in a time now were there will always be packs at 60% off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I don't understand whats so hard for you to understand that i cant understand why you don't understand me.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't really care which way gold goes, or if there are packs or not. Having cheap crabs and MP food is nice, but really... If that stuff suddenly went away... I think there would be a lot of screwed players. b:chuckle

I remember when the Silver HP and MP charms were the 'best' you could get. Then Gold came out! OMG! And now we have Platinum. When are Double Plat charms coming?

Meh. Gold being really expensive means I can sell gold for more coins. Gold being cheap means I can buy gold for fewer coins. I just never... Seem to have coins when gold is cheap, and never seem to have gold when it's expensive. >_>
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Bosk - Sanctuary
    Bosk - Sanctuary Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The price of gold is really more a question of supply and demand. Pack sales might increase demand, as players perceive the value of the pack to be greater than the cost even at the inflated gold price. Eliminating the sale, however, only has a limited reverse effect. Gold is not going to go back to 400k or even 100k (where it was when I started playing) so long as ANY items exist that have a perceived value greater than that.

I suspect I am stating the obvious, but trading coins for gold and gold for coins does not actually eliminate either (other than the 2% transaction fee). The coins and gold still exist, just in someone else's hands, and I doubt they would like to see the value of their investment drop by the price of either going down.

In the past many items were worth far more coins than they are today. Likely most of you remember the 20% reduction of the price for DQ items, and some will remember how Pet Eggs could be cashed in for a lot more than 1 coin (I seem to recall it was 5 or 10k per egg). There were even item rewards from WQ that could be cashed for 5 million coins, but now they are only worth 5k (and they might be gone altogether, as I have not seen one in ages).

Even so, more and more coins are generated every day inside the game, and either there are more players willing to pay higher prices for Boutique items, or there are fewer players willing to charge Zen on their Credit Cards, thus the price of gold increase. With fewer gold to go around, more coins must be offered to buy it. Simple economics.

As for all the actual sales, they do make me shake my head at times. When an item is 10% off, it is a sale. At 30% it is a markdown, usually implying that it was overpriced to begin with. At 50% off, it is a "going out of business sale". So what on earth does an 80% or more reduction in the price signify? (Case in point, 25 gold mounts available for only 5 gold.)

There are so many sales and so many packs that ANYONE who pays full price for ANYTHING is either very rich or very foolish (or perhaps both). I cannot count how many posts I have read about people complaining that they saved up for ages to buy their $50, $75 or even $100+ items only to have that same item go on sale a few weeks or months later for under $20 (for example, Herc and Nix tickets currently available in shops for a fraction of the "SRP").

Am I complaining? Not really. It is annoying when this kind of thing happens to you, and I still maintain a modicum of empathy for those who feel they have been cheated by these events. But at the same time, the volatility in the market makes the game somewhat more interesting. I have examined a number of the pack sales and I have yet to find one that I thought was beneficial to the pack purchaser. Ultimately anything that is in the pack comes onto the market cheaper than the expected cost of buying enough packs to get the item through sheer randomness. Of course, some people get a rare item with very few purchases, and others pay ten times what the item is worth and still do not get it. Without a fixed price market, however, it means the person who "wins" tends to under value the item, and the perceived price drops.

Personally I do not see more or fewer pack sales doing much to change the price of gold. Perhaps if absolutely nothing new was in the Boutique, and there was NOTHING on sale, then interest in what can be bought with gold would wane a bit and the price might drop to 600-900k. But any lower than that is unlikely, and unless PWI is attracting more new people every week than are leaving, the price of gold is only going to keep trending upwards as coins become more available and gold becomes less.

Just have to try to make the best of it.

Good Luck!
    Dante: "Cute is a relative term."
  • Finaler - Raging Tide
    Finaler - Raging Tide Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    here's how i see it. It's too much of a good thing. yes tokens have become part of the life blood for this game nowadays. But in all honesty it the things that come with them that makes it incredibly stupid.

also here's a nice little comparison for ya.

gold at lets say 800k [which is the low end for a pack sale period]
    and lets also say you buy 2 gold[easier math for me] you'll buy 5 packs with them.
    and if that's all tokens that 75 tokens alright.
    current price for tokens[on RT also on the low end] is 10k so for 75 tokens is 750k. so think about this. For the price of 1 gold you could get all the tokens you would get for 2 gold.

So to make my point now. If they would make a pack that gave double the tokens with a chance for a flight, mount, and best of luck. Now make that pack permanent instead of the tiger and coral packs for about 40 silver. there easy fix.
    also known as notes or maxer depending on the server.

resident lowbie of tao