Multi Clienting, use two hard drives or have both work of the same one?

Flixix - Dreamweaver
Flixix - Dreamweaver Posts: 152 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Okay so to multi client I use my two hard drives, so one Element client would for instance work from the PWI files on Drive D while the other client would work of the files on Drive C.

My question is what is faster? Is it it better to use two entirely different drives (these are not partitions but 2 seperate HDD's) or have both element clients working from the same files. Does it even matter?

Thanks everyone for the help :)
Post edited by Flixix - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    i dont think it matters about the HD... it has more to do with CPU and RAM speed...
  • Flixix - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    i dont think it matters about the HD... it has more to do with CPU and RAM speed...

Aye but my thoughts are that would it slow down a program if two clients are trying to access the same files?
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    Infernia - Harshlands Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited May 2011

^

PW isnt particularly hard drive intensive, its managing upwards of 200 poeple onscreen that makes it melt. Your CPU and RAM are more important.

As an half assed benchmark, a 2Ghz Dual Core with 4Gb (3Gb technically, 32bit ftw) of RAM running Windows Vista / 7 (I use both, im mid migration :P) can multiclient with ease.
  • Flixix - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    ^

PW isnt particularly hard drive intensive, its managing upwards of 200 poeple onscreen that makes it melt. Your CPU and RAM are more important.

As an half assed benchmark, a 2Ghz Dual Core with 4Gb (3Gb technically, 32bit ftw) of RAM running Windows Vista / 7 (I use both, im mid migration :P) can multiclient with ease.

*Sigh* my 2GB ram on this comp is killing me lol, it heats up so hot that it could burn haha. Ah well new comp with 8GB ram in a few months ;)
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    *Sigh* my 2GB ram on this comp is killing me lol, it heats up so hot that it could burn haha. Ah well new comp with 8GB ram in a few months ;)

I should probably add that my windows is stripped down to the point of looking and functioning like '98 and otherwise pro'd the **** up.

I should try not taking care of a computer some time....
  • Flixix - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    I should probably add that my windows is stripped down to the point of looking and functioning like '98 and otherwise pro'd the **** up.

I should try not taking care of a computer some time....

Well this lappy has been going for 3 years now and is used pretty much every single day. For what it has been doing I have to say it is bloody brilliant. I just went through the program files and data files to see if there is any ****. Would not believe the junk that is left after an uninstall. Besides that I don't give my laptop much loving besides a cooling stand/fan underneath. Give it a hover out once in a while and she runs good lol. Can play PWI on two elements plus use photoshop, KMP (video player), vent, steam and a few other programs with not to much trouble. Can't wait to see what 8GB is like haha
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Well this lappy has been going for 3 years now and is used pretty much every single day. For what it has been doing I have to say it is bloody brilliant. I just went through the program files and data files to see if there is any ****. Would not believe the junk that is left after an uninstall. Besides that I don't give my laptop much loving besides a cooling stand/fan underneath. Give it a hover out once in a while and she runs good lol. Can play PWI on two elements plus use photoshop, KMP (video player), vent, steam and a few other programs with not to much trouble. Can't wait to see what 8GB is like haha

b:dirty I love peoples who know how to use PCs b:dirty
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Aye but my thoughts are that would it slow down a program if two clients are trying to access the same files?

no. if anything, you're slowing things down by preventing sensible caching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Flixix - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    no. if anything, you're slowing things down by preventing sensible caching.

Ahh good to know then i shall revert to using it on one HDD lol
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I think anything with at least 1GB in Ram should be able to multiclient if you're not gonna alternate between windows too often.

I mean, if you plan on running a catshop on one and play on the other, 1GB should be enough. If you wanna play actively on both 'sessions' of PWI, then you gonna need more RAM.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Astute - Lost City
    Astute - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Dunno if anyone is curious.. but with my comp (quad core 3.2ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM) I can run run 2 clients along with everything in the background at ~25% cpu/ram usage. Just for shucks I tried opening 6 clients.. didn't lag whatsoever and had ~60fps.. and cpu/ram usage was still only at ~75%. You really don't need that great a computer to run 2 clients lol (or do anything special).