Barrier Thorns, Are they any good?

Options
CritCat - Archosaur
CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Assassin
I personally haven't spent much on this game, But would the Thorns be worth it for end-game daggers? I personally haven't gotten to this level with any of my other characters, so i'm open to suggestions.

I currently use H&T +3 With 2 Garnet Immac shards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Current Sin Build:
pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
Current Wizard Build:
pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
Post edited by CritCat - Archosaur on

Comments

• Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Which Barrier Thorn?

Barrier Thorn: Gutbreaker, or TT99 gold, is a worthless piece of trash.
    Barrier Thorn: Nirvana is one of the better endgame daggers.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Pytharia - Lost City
    Pytharia - Lost City Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I take it you're referring to Nirvana daggers and yes they are worth it, with current prices they cost about 150-180m and are good if you have no intention of saving up for R9 anytime soon.
    Be sure to have R8 top before getting nirvana daggers because R8 daggers are great dph and dps and they only cost 2m once you have the 200k rep, so they serve as great temporary daggers if you're not ready to get barrier thorns.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I personally haven't spent much on this game, But would the Thorns be worth it for end-game daggers? I personally haven't gotten to this level with any of my other characters, so i'm open to suggestions.

I currently use H&T +3 With 2 Garnet Immac shards.

Your best option would be to save up for rank8 on any of the next sales. It will give you great chest part, good daggers and ok leggings for cheap. Ultimate daggers would be either r9 or g15 vana. Personally I don't really see the big deal of g13 daggers. From my experience, r8 and g13 vana aren't much damage difference for the 100mil coins. And r8 has the plate and leggings on top of it. G13 vana does have an adventage cause of higher aps figure though.

If you don't know what to go for yet, I'd suggest to aim for r8 first. You will want that chest part. Then see if you go after r9 or g15 vana. Making g13 vana when going for r9 is kind of a waste imo, since you can't sell them.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Your best option would be to save up for rank8 on any of the next sales. It will give you great chest part, good daggers and ok leggings for cheap.

Indeed, for the cost, Rank 8 dagger is the best deal you're going to get.
    Ultimate daggers would be either r9 or g15 vana. Personally I don't really see the big deal of g13 daggers. From my experience, r8 and g13 vana aren't much damage difference for the 100mil coins. And r8 has the plate and leggings on top of it. G13 vana does have an adventage cause of higher aps figure though.

I can see a few reasons:
    1. It's easier to get 5 aps as you won't need a tome for it.
    2. It's actually a rather cheap piece of -interval, since it costs less than a tome and has -0.1 and not -0.05 interval.

For most people, I'd guess they just get Barrier Thorn: Nirvana because it's a "cheap" interval piece and then they stop caring because they reach 5 aps. Or they've already refined their Barrier Thorn: Nirvana to a high amount, such as +10-12 and cannot be bothered to wait for a Chienkun sale to transfer it over to a Dark Death Thorn. After all, transfering a Garnet Gem and +10 comes to 266 Chienkuns, which adds a hefty price to the Dark Death Thorn.
    If you don't know what to go for yet, I'd suggest to aim for r8 first. You will want that chest part. Then see if you go after r9 or g15 vana. Making g13 vana when going for r9 is kind of a waste imo, since you can't sell them.

Well of course, if your end goal is R9, getting anything between R8 and R9 is silly.

Personally, I might end up going for Barrier Thorn: Nirvana after getting R8.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I was talking about the TT99 ones with range, I personally don't know what to aim for.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I was talking about the TT99 ones with range, I personally don't know what to aim for.b:surrender

Most only use those to make the "Barrier Thorn : nirvana." If you only going to make them to use those, stick with Hook & Thorn until you can afford/farm the raptures, or go for Rank 8 daggers.

R8 is wayyy better then Guttbreaker.

What to aim for : Try to get Rank 8 (200K rep) , get the daggers, use until you can make the Nirvana daggers to go for more APS OR go for rank 9.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Most only use those to make the "Barrier Thorn : nirvana." If you only going to make them to use those, stick with Hook & Thorn until you can afford/farm the raptures, or go for Rank 8 daggers.

R8 is wayyy better then Guttbreaker.

What to aim for : Try to get Rank 8 (200K rep) , get the daggers, use until you can make the Nirvana daggers to go for more APS OR go for rank 9.

How would I get R8 without spending money?b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    How would I get R8 without spending money?b:shocked

Merchanting.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Merchanting.

Cat Shop Merchanting?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Cat Shop Merchanting?

Well yes.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Indeed, for the cost, Rank 8 dagger is the best deal you're going to get.

I can see a few reasons:
    1. It's easier to get 5 aps as you won't need a tome for it.
    2. It's actually a rather cheap piece of -interval, since it costs less than a tome and has -0.1 and not -0.05 interval.

For most people, I'd guess they just get Barrier Thorn: Nirvana because it's a "cheap" interval piece and then they stop caring because they reach 5 aps. Or they've already refined their Barrier Thorn: Nirvana to a high amount, such as +10-12 and cannot be bothered to wait for a Chienkun sale to transfer it over to a Dark Death Thorn. After all, transfering a Garnet Gem and +10 comes to 266 Chienkuns, which adds a hefty price to the Dark Death Thorn.

Well of course, if your end goal is R9, getting anything between R8 and R9 is silly.

Personally, I might end up going for Barrier Thorn: Nirvana after getting R8.

That in bleu is my main point indeed. From what I see, the original poster is getting close to 100 but not sure about what to aim for. Since r8 includes the chest part that everyone would recommand, and comes with good (imo great) daggers and decent leggings, I'd strongly recommand to get r8. Then spend some time at 100, see if you consider it worth making g13 vanas. It's only at lvl100 you really start to squad with ppl using those daggers, so you can judge on it. Also you will see how much you vana, to see how long it would take you to gather 100 raps.

From my experience, g13 vana is terribly overrated. When in squad with sins using +/- equivelant gear and 1 with g13 vana of same refine as the others r8, I see aggro ping-pong. Meaning for me the dps is pretty equal. Ofc, the extra damage -0.1 int on g13 vanas depends on your aps to start with, making it impossible to say 1 is always better then the other. Also both refine differently.

Anyways, what makes -int worth getting is imo not damage related, but general opinion related. If you have 2.86 aps instead of 2.22, ppl consider de facto you're better dps then the other. I sometimes say it as a joke, but it's actually very true. With r9 +12 daggers, it's harder to get a wc squad then with lvl60 fists. That is the main, and only, real advantage from g13 vanas over r8 daggers. That is also why I'd say, get r8 and to 100, then see. If you highly depend on wc to vana and bh, yeah g13 vana is worth it. If you have no trouble finding squads, stick with r8 and work on other stuff first (refines, vana leggings, skills, ...)
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You'd definitely want to aim for the first cast Nirvana Barrier Thorns over the TT99 Gutbreaker version.

Though if you haven't much money, Rank 8 should be the first priority over vana daggers.

My main daggers I use is the first cast nirvy dags. +10 with 2 g11 garnets. But after hearing about how great GoF or SS are, I am very tempted to save up for the g15 2nd cast daggers with some hopefully great adds. That or rank 9, if medals come back before I get/afford 150 raptures.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • RioNHale - Archosaur
    RioNHale - Archosaur Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    AuroraTear uses 2nd cast G15 tt nirvana daggers with 2 -0.05 int and sac strike rofl.

G15 nirv with ss 5aps > g16 r9 gof 4aps?

so far what ive seen, they are the only ones with those exact stats, 1 in a million, but seem worth it. O_O

Also most people dont realise but g13 nirvana daggers at +11/+12 refine like g15, ive used +12 barrier thorns and they are pretty great, especially the consistant 4aps unsparked.

so g14 +12 r8 daggers get pwnd by +12 g13 nirvana.
    That being said if your under a budget... R8, is good enough the ring/chest/leggings should make it worthwhile anyways getting g14 daggers is the cherry on top especially for a sage sin like yourself crit.
    ★Immunity is an Arch Server TW Faction. If you want to join Apply @ immunity.shivtr.com★ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    AuroraTear uses 2nd cast G15 tt nirvana daggers with 2 -0.05 int and sac strike rofl.

There's a million reasons why that's never true.
    1. R9 has 30 Attack Levels, which alone already covered the APS difference.
    2. R9 has a higher grade so it has a higher DPH as well
    3. R9 ring is much, much better than any alternative you could have

And since you cannot get both GoF/SS and the +20 Attack Levels on the nirvana dagger, it'll never be even close in terms of DPS.
    Also most people dont realise but g13 nirvana daggers at +11/+12 refine like g15, ive used +12 barrier thorns and they are pretty great, especially the consistant 4aps unsparked.

Um, it's pretty much blatantly obvious that Barrier Thorn: Nirvana is better than Ocean Supreme Dagger. But the true question is whether that is worth the cost? Is the increase in damage really worth the 150,000,000+ coins you'll have to pay for it?

Of course, as I already explained, if you're looking for the cheapest -intervals, they would be:
    1. TT99 Wrists + Boots (~41m for -0.15)
    2. Rank 8 (~72m for -0.1)
    3. TT99 Ornaments (~47m for -0.05)
    4. Energetic Robe: Lunar Glade (~50m for -0.05)
    5. Barrier Thorn: Nirvana (~170-200m for -0.1)
    6. Shadow Ashura Greaves (~150m for -0.05)
    7. Pan Gu, Creator (~240m for -0.05)

Of course, that's not really all there is to it. For example:
    1. Someone might not consider R8 as -0.1 because of R6 or R4 armor being -0.05
    2. Someone might prioritize Pan Gu, Creator over Nirvana because you don't need refines or shards for it
    3. Someone might be using Energetic Robe: Wraithgate or might farm the Energetic Robe: Lunar Glade via Trophy Mode so the price would be a lot lower
    4. Someone might prioritize TT99 over Rank 8 and Nirvana due to level requirement being lower

Though, it seems that the basic kit for any level 100 Assassin is TT99 ornaments, TT99 wrists and boots and Rank 8.
  • Pytharia - Lost City
    Pytharia - Lost City Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    meh, never mind. Not worth the long discussion.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited May 2011
    Options

so far what ive seen, they are the only ones with those exact stats, 1 in a million, but seem worth it. O_O

That being said if your under a budget... R8, is good enough the ring/chest/leggings should make it worthwhile anyways getting g14 daggers is the cherry on top especially for a sage sin like yourself crit.

Personally, I'm probably not going to go pure APS, I honestly don't have the funds, and I realized that so I went sage and I probably go R8 or something, this is my first toon I've gotten this level.b:thanks I appreciate all the advice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear
    KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I want nirvana daggers because they look cool,I love the intervals,and it's a great goal to work toward.
  • Potzi - Lost City
    Potzi - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There's a million reasons why that's never true.
    1. R9 has 30 Attack Levels, which alone already covered the APS difference.
    2. R9 has a higher grade so it has a higher DPH as well
    3. R9 ring is much, much better than any alternative you could have

And since you cannot get both GoF/SS and the +20 Attack Levels on the nirvana dagger, it'll never be even close in terms of DPS.

Um, it's pretty much blatantly obvious that Barrier Thorn: Nirvana is better than Ocean Supreme Dagger. But the true question is whether that is worth the cost? Is the increase in damage really worth the 150,000,000+ coins you'll have to pay for it?

Of course, as I already explained, if you're looking for the cheapest -intervals, they would be:
    1. TT99 Wrists + Boots (~41m for -0.15)
    2. Rank 8 (~72m for -0.1)
    3. TT99 Ornaments (~47m for -0.05)
    4. Energetic Robe: Lunar Glade (~50m for -0.05)
    5. Barrier Thorn: Nirvana (~170-200m for -0.1)
    6. Shadow Ashura Greaves (~150m for -0.05)
    7. Pan Gu, Creator (~240m for -0.05)

Of course, that's not really all there is to it. For example:
    1. Someone might not consider R8 as -0.1 because of R6 or R4 armor being -0.05
    2. Someone might prioritize Pan Gu, Creator over Nirvana because you don't need refines or shards for it
    3. Someone might be using Energetic Robe: Wraithgate or might farm the Energetic Robe: Lunar Glade via Trophy Mode so the price would be a lot lower
    4. Someone might prioritize TT99 over Rank 8 and Nirvana due to level requirement being lower

Though, it seems that the basic kit for any level 100 Assassin is TT99 ornaments, TT99 wrists and boots and Rank 8.

Lost City price 600mil+
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lost City price 600mil+

Sanctuary Price, 320M, give or take 50m either way.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sanctuary Price, 320M, give or take 50m either way.

Um, that's for Love: Up and Down, the one you get from Scroll of Tome.

Pan Gu, Creator, which you make from 3 Scripts of Fate, won't go for more than 270,000,000.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Scripts of Fate are reaching the 90m point in RT.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!