what is evasion?

Options
tajule
tajule Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
I'll pick up wearable items with an evasion rating on it. What is "evasion"? I keep thinking dexterity is a kind of evasion but it appears evasion is another attribute.
Post edited by tajule on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    in theory, evasion influences how often enemy attacks miss you.

in practice, evasion is linked to your dexterity such that, unless you're a pretty much pure dex build, your evasion won't matter and your enemies will hit. evasion adds on equipment are pretty much useless, at least for anyone who isn't an archer or assassin, and i'm not sure about them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Finaler - Raging Tide
    Finaler - Raging Tide Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Evasion is basicly the opposite of accuracy. The math is really screwy for it but basicly the higher that number the more often enemies will "miss" their physical attacks. It's almost a negligable stat if you ask me because of the amount of magical attack sources in this game.
    also known as notes or maxer depending on the server.

resident lowbie of tao
  • Hideori - Lost City
    Hideori - Lost City Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    in theory, evasion influences how often enemy attacks miss you.

in practice, evasion is linked to your dexterity such that, unless you're a pretty much pure dex build, your evasion won't matter and your enemies will hit. evasion adds on equipment are pretty much useless, at least for anyone who isn't an archer or assassin, and i'm not sure about them.

useless? I dont think so. evasion saved my *** many times. warrior without dexterity will miss most of atacks. its not useless, unless your dexterity is very low. in that case +-30 evasion wont change anything.
  • Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide
    Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    <-- was a pure dex archer with evasion ornaments for belt and necklace, sharded with amber and buffed with lv10 wings of protection.

at most you are going to get what says a 35% chance to evade, maybe higher on mobs much lower level then you. in practice you are going to have much less then that.

it really is a shame that the mechanics of this game make it that evasion is all but useless
    patience is a virtue
  • SoulRequiem - Sanctuary
    SoulRequiem - Sanctuary Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The main problem is,not just the non-reliability of Evasion(You can have % chance to evade an attack,no guarantee),its the fact the 80% of mobs/bosses pve wise have also a magic attack,and evasion serves no purpose against magic power.Also some bosses have such crazy accuracy,that no matter how much your evasion is,you will have at most like 5% chance to evade attacks.

PvP wise....I have no experience myself,but even if you had like 70% evasion....how you gonna deal with magic classes?(Not counting those 100% accuracy hits like....a Barb's Mighty Swing or a Sin rising dragon strike,just saying).Sharding with Evasion means not sharding with Hp,and this means being extremely squishy vs even low refined mages.

On the other hand,Hp shards works with any type of attack(Having Def. and Mag. Def shards helps too until a certain degree).
    WTB>More Fash
    Currently Want-to-buy list>>(W=White;B=Black;A=Any color)
    ((W. Steampunk Top \\ W. Aegan Dress \\ W. Road Warrior Vest and Shorts \\ W. Cougar Top \\ W. Barfighter Top \\B. Chipao \\ Trading B. Shinobi Set to White \\ B. Bowknot Top \\ W. Porcelian Dress \\ B. Leopard Boots \\W. Corsair Dress \\ B. Debutante Dress \\ W. Sunshine Blouse \\ W. Tiger Lily Dress \\ W. Stardust Dress \\ \\ Red Bikini Bottom \\ W. Crown Princess Dress))
  • Eva_La_Roux - Lost City
    Eva_La_Roux - Lost City Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Most of the time evasion helps very little, but if combine w/ an accuracy debuff skill like a venos befuddling mist which reduce accuracy by 70% (maxed) or the genie skill blinding sand which debuffs 15% (maxed at lv 45) without looking into str or dex of a genie, evasion can make a difference on regular mobs or fighting against another class that dont use mag. atks. like bm, arhcer, barb, and sin

But like Soul said most Boss have insane amount of accuracy so evasion doesn't help much at that point.