defense level

ClericMD - Lost City
ClericMD - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Hello people i have a little question the defense level that give shards and some armors increase both magic and phisicall defense? or only physycall defense, cuz i was thinking get g11 citrines for my armor but i did some maths and you can get easy 50%+ defense level with second recast nv gears and the right shards, and that is a lot of defense.

But if only give physicall defense i go for the citrines, casters still doing the greater damage IN ONE HIT in game.

thanks.

PD i know my english sucks, but gms still dont give us a language boards b:surrender
Post edited by ClericMD - Lost City on

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    the defense level that give shards and some armors increase both magic and phisicall defense?
    shouldnt it be both?

Diamond of Dragon and
    Jade of Steady Defense

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Hello people, I have a little question about defense levels from shards and some armors; do they increase both magic and physical defense? Or only physical defense, cuz I was thinking about sharding g11 citrines in my armor, however, I did some maths and you can get easy 50%+ defense level with second recast nirv gears and the right shards, and that is a lot of defense.

But if only give physical defense and I go for the citrines, casters still doing the greater damage IN ONE HIT in game.

Thanks.

PS I know my English sucks, but GM's still don't give us any kind of language boards other than this crappy English one. b:surrender

Edited for clarity, please don't consider it rude, just trying to help. b:surrender

Think of Defense level like this:

If you are level 50, and there is a level 50 mob, and it normally is hitting you for 300 damage, and your defense level is 0, then you go to a +50 defense level, it will (basically, by my understanding) be only hitting you for 150 points. Things get complicated (go to the archer forum, and bring water, your head will catch on fire) for equations for differences in level, IE, a mob level 53, and you are level 50.

I believe that there is a 'cap', since you can get a def level over 100%, and more than a 100% reduction... Well, it would be silly as hell to be healed every time a mob hits you. b:chuckle HOWEVER, there are mobs with [?] for their level, which are effectively level 150, so having a high defense level when fighting them (higher than level 100), would still provide positive returns.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Defense level reduces the damage you take before it hits your defenses. And, defense level does not care whether the damage is magic or physical -- it reduces both.

In other words, if you hit C you will not see your defenses change when your defense level increases. You just do not get hit so hard.

How hard you get hit also depends on your attacker's attack level. But defense level is great for fighting monsters since most of them do not have attack levels. Defense level winds up being not quite so effective in PvP because of jones blessings and because of gear and genies and stuff that gives attack levels. (It still helps, but not so much.)

Finally, defense level does nothing for damage over time attacks (and mostly you can ignore those, but not always).

Edit:

Think of Defense level like this:

If you are level 50, and there is a level 50 mob, and it normally is hitting you for 300 damage, and your defense level is 0, then you go to a +50 defense level, it will (basically, by my understanding) be only hitting you for 150 points.

That is not quite right, you would take 187.5 damage which would probably seem like 188 damage. See http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=698392 for details.
  • ClericMD - Lost City
    ClericMD - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the answers, i start thinking in this because i saw a wizard in lost city with all armor with defense level +2 stones, and he have a great defense magic and physical, i saw wizards with the same gear but use citrines 11 and I can do them near twice of damage than that wiz.

But the price of that stones are quite ridiculous so i want be sure if they are worthy.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the answers, i start thinking in this because i saw a wizard in lost city with all armor with defense level +2 stones, and he have a great defense magic and physical, i saw wizards with the same gear but use citrines 11 and I can do them near twice of damage than that wiz.

But the price of that stones are quite ridiculous so i want be sure if they are worthy.

If you are going to be PKing, then yes, JOSD are worth it.

If you are going to just be farming instances, then... It starts to depend on the instance.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level