Diamond of Tiger vs Citrines

faolyn
faolyn Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Assassin
Okay, before any of you get carried away with the title, allow me to explain my position. I will be rolling a Sage Sin very soon, and already have half the endgame gear I need, including the Lunar Interval Cape, for 4 aps (5 with Wind Shield). What I was wondering was, I intend to fully refine ALL OF MY GEAR, and it made me wonder whether or not, considering all the extra HP I will get from refines, that I should instead socket all my gear with Diamond of Tigers instead of citrines. After calculation and taking the Jone's Blessing into account, I can have 63 attack level unbuffed. An extra 63% damage at 4aps, on top of 35% crit, 3% BP, and constant Sage Spark.

I am politely asking now, that we dispense with all advice, constructive or not, insulting or not, about the choice to go sage, otherwise I will ignore you. This thread is strictly about helping me to understand attack level and it's value endgame vs other gems.

Your thoughts, people. =D
Post edited by faolyn on

Comments

• CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    faolyn wrote: »
    Okay, before any of you get carried away with the title, allow me to explain my position. I will be rolling a Sage Sin very soon, and already have half the endgame gear I need, including the Lunar Interval Cape, for 4 aps (5 with Wind Shield). What I was wondering was, I intend to fully refine ALL OF MY GEAR, and it made me wonder whether or not, considering all the extra HP I will get from refines, that I should instead socket all my gear with Diamond of Tigers instead of citrines. After calculation and taking the Jone's Blessing into account, I can have 63 attack level unbuffed. An extra 63% damage at 4aps, on top of 35% crit, 3% BP, and constant Sage Spark.

I am politely asking now, that we dispense with all advice, constructive or not, insulting or not, about the choice to go sage, otherwise I will ignore you. This thread is strictly about helping me to understand attack level and it's value endgame vs other gems.

I just got sage and I love it, IJS.

IMO Sage/Demon is just for your playstyle. i've been too poor for pure APS anyways.

Anyways, good luck with all the refining and CSingb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I'm a sage sin with only DoT in my gear. I never felt the need to have vit stones/citrines or defence lvl, and actually think DoT is the best shard to use as sage sin. I think you must have a minimum of 5k hp at lvl100 to be able to tank vana and solo some TTs as sage. With refines that shouldn't be to difficult.

To explain the value of att lvl shards, I'd say the main thing is DoT is the only att based gem for armor. If you consider you have enough survivability, why add more def lvls or hp? That is where DoT are great. They up your attack as if you were higher lvl and it's % based. In weapon garnet is better though, since garnets get multiplied by dex, skills and spark.

One more thing though, don't be to obsessed with the "4 aps" thing. You don't need it to keep the sage spark damage reduction up. If you got the means for g15 vanas (even without any -int add) or r9, go for it. It's your dps that is valuable for bp heals, not your aps. Sins got tons of chi skills and there are also genies.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    faolyn wrote: »

It depends on your refines and what bosses you wanna tank i would say. If you are full+10 than i would go ahead and shard DoTs for extra dmg. Ultimately DoT is the best option to put in interval gear. The faster you kill stuff as a sin the less dmg you take and the bigger chance to survive. Less chance for a boss to pull of some lethal purge/armorbreak/amp combo to. But if your gear is only +5/+6 or so i would use citrines until had more hp.

Having around 6k buffed is enough to tank easy stuff like NV and solo Frost, but you wont be able to tank several bosses in TT/Warsong/Lunar/FB99 with that low hp. Even if BP heals you for more with DoTs in, your charm can get bypassed or you get 1 shot when Deaden Nerves breaks. When you get stunned or sealed (it does happen a lot even when using Tidal Protection) than Blood paint stops healing, you cant spark either to resist and get hp, you also loose the reduction from sage spark and Ribtrike can run out. So need to be able to take 2-3 hits.

For group PvP/TW i would say the same. Until you get at least like 8-9k unbuffed from refines dont shard DoTs. If you're not going to PVE at all and just fly around solo and pk 1v1 than i would skip citrines from start and just stack attack levels though. You dont really need that much hp for popping out of stealth ganking players since they rarely get a chance to hit you back.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You should listen to Empu, he's a pro sage sin :D

If only he were on my server QQ
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    You should listen to Empu, he's a pro sage sin :D

If only he were on my server QQ

b:cute well, ty Skai. Come to Sanc b:avoid b:sin
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    b:cute well, ty Skai. Come to Sanc b:avoid b:sin

I got to get to 100 and get me TT99 ornaments and R8 so I can spot you in a random Nirvana. Heard a friend of mine was on a run with your people just yesterday.

Unfortunately, if I wish to keep up my merchanting to any kind of level, I'll have to wait until the next rep sale before I get Rank 8. And I'm not too enthusiastic about going to 100 without even having Rank 8.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear
    KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    yeah as a sin chi is like..given freely without having to be a interval monster..though i am demon i still have to depend on my skills to semi-perma spark me.But i already have al lthe interval stuff for later on..so...yeah i love demon.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    I got to get to 100 and get me TT99 ornaments and R8 so I can spot you in a random Nirvana. Heard a friend of mine was on a run with your people just yesterday.

Unfortunately, if I wish to keep up my merchanting to any kind of level, I'll have to wait until the next rep sale before I get Rank 8. And I'm not too enthusiastic about going to 100 without even having Rank 8.

^^ hope to see around after next sale then. No idea who you're talking about, cause during 2x I meet many ppl in vana b:laugh

And good idea to hold lvling till next sale. It will be there fast enough. If you start out with a bad name as DD, you will have trouble getting squads after. You often have those discussions when squad not full yet : "I can invite X" ~ "Oh no, plz not him"
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    ^^ hope to see around after next sale then. No idea who you're talking about, cause during 2x I meet many ppl in vana b:laugh

Well, I acquired my tt99 ornaments now, so all I need is the R8 and money for shards/refines. Unless we get crappy sales or the next rep sale is too soon, I should be able to get enough for r8 during the next sale.
    And good idea to hold lvling till next sale. It will be there fast enough. If you start out with a bad name as DD, you will have trouble getting squads after. You often have those discussions when squad not full yet : "I can invite X" ~ "Oh no, plz not him"

Well, leveling from 99 to 100 takes about four days anyway, so it's not that hard to get to 100. And before Rank 8, I'd pretty much make a **** DD since I'm still using a +4 2x Immaculates Hook and Thorn.

Though, until I get more -intervals, I'll probably have to depend on the few 5 aps DDs I have on my friends list to get into nirvanas, as right now it'll look like I'll have 2.22 aps at 100 until I can get a tome or leggings.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • StrangeGirl - Raging Tide
    StrangeGirl - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    http://pwcalc.com/6dc22d4dd45e3024
    with headhunt = win b:cute
  • Niner - Dreamweaver
    Niner - Dreamweaver Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    soo...for sage sin, shard all DoTs? kk ima do that b:victory
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    soo...for sage sin, shard all DoTs? kk ima do that b:victory

That only works if you can get high refines with that. Otherwise you'll be left with too much DPS and too little life and you'll just be a glass cannon character.
  • Pytharia - Lost City
    Pytharia - Lost City Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    http://pwcalc.com/6dc22d4dd45e3024
    with headhunt = win b:cute

DoT's on weapons?
  • Epros - Raging Tide
    Epros - Raging Tide Posts: 1,720 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    DoTs all the way. RT laughed at me for doing it (and some STILL do) but honestly as a sin you need as much possible damage as fast as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pytharia - Lost City
    Pytharia - Lost City Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    not on weapons, garnets>DoT's on weapons.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Well....duhhh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Nyxyo - Harshlands
    Nyxyo - Harshlands Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    DoT in weapon is sign of the noob lol... go very fast away from ppl with dot in weapon..b:chuckle
    but for sins DoT would be best choice ..demon or sage all the same... i got full vitality stones shard...230 vitality and while i am not that sorry.....it served me well along time.... i wish i made full dot build... assuming you have time to farm you will eventually get to have all gear+10 there for 24 dot +5lvl(helm+pants nirvana)...that's 29 attack lvl that will do more dmg and more heal..i think even if u have 5k hp and cant do some stuf....in time and with patience ..you will be rewardedb:victory
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    That only works if you can get high refines with that. Otherwise you'll be left with too much DPS and too little life and you'll just be a glass cannon character.

With only 5.1k hp and the capacity of keeping sage spark up all the time, you can already solo a large amount off bosses. Ofc, not wurlord or ape in 2-3, but you can do many. Even vana bosses (though you'll need to use pots or have charm ticks). When I just got to 100 and had around 5.2k hp, I kept myself alive (while tanking) in vana when cleric died.

5k+ hp doesn't take that high refines. 5k hp and +/- 16att lvls is an easier start to gear up more then 7k hp and 0 att lvls imo. If you do a lot of damage, you'll get easier invites for vana/tt.
    DoT in weapon is sign of the noob lol... go very fast away from ppl with dot in weapon..b:chuckle
    but for sins DoT would be best choice ..demon or sage all the same... i got full vitality stones shard...230 vitality and while i am not that sorry.....it served me well along time.... i wish i made full dot build... assuming you have time to farm you will eventually get to have all gear+10 there for 24 dot +5lvl(helm+pants nirvana)...that's 29 attack lvl that will do more dmg and more heal..i think even if u have 5k hp and cant do some stuf....in time and with patience ..you will be rewardedb:victory

I really doubt what the part I made red. And I think you already answered it with what's in bleu. Even though I got my armor all +6~+10 I highly depend on sage spark for survivability. I know 1 demon sin on my server who has roughly same armor as me with all DoT. I wonder if he can solo a lot though. Being a damage monster when you can't survive isn't worth it imo. On a demon sin I'd never shard all DoT (maybe half, but not fully). I got 7.2k hp, without sage spark just to many bosses would hit me over half of my hp or be able to 1 shot me on their special attacks. Or I'd have to get cleric, barb and bm buffs every time I'd solo something...
  • StrangeGirl - Raging Tide
    StrangeGirl - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    DoT's on weapons?

Was testing to see how much attack level someone could get :D