HOW-TO : Ask a pertinent question and run a fair discussion

Options

Comments

• Wingsly - Raging Tide
    Wingsly - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    how do you change your avatar's appearance?
  • Humanalmokhr - Raging Tide
    Humanalmokhr - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Dear all,

You may be in a bad mood, in the wrong period of the month, frustrated because you've just once more be outruned with the latest shaodu cub taming contest, genetically lazy, or really tired of your hard working day at the Wall Street Stock Echange.... but this does not ALWAYS excuse the posting of another nth post about a very well and already documented subject.... It is quite easy to check before you ask, and the reward being to keep other people in a good mood worth it.

Also remember that the "protection" given by anonymity does not allow you to act as a vulgar bad-mannered kid. Acting superior and rude may give you some impression of power over people, but mainly it gives you a pathetic reputation and it may also brings you somme painfull spanks if you happen to meet the people in real life.

Then, here are a few rules that one may always follow before even thinking about opening a new post:

- the SEARCH option is your friend. Learn about it, use it, and NEVER ask a question before you've done it first. ONLY if you do not find you answer there could you consider looking at the other rules or/and posting your question
    - Did you try to look at the guides/FAQ clearly sticked on the top of ALL forums threads stacks? You'll nearly always find your answer there... there is even one called "Beginner FAQ - Please read before posting!". No question whose answer could be found there should ever be posted!
    - Can't remember if I told you about how to SEARCH...
    - Sometimes, words may vary from one to another leading to search failure... try different spelling, or thing about nicknames. Some famous examples are the NIX = phoenix/ph(oe)nix/phenix, and HERC = Hercule etc...
    - Do you remember the SEARCH option?
    - Don't know what HH, TT, WTF, OMG, LMAO*, .... mean? Do u really think you are the first wondering about that? There are a lot of guides about them.... and some are sticked so that they are easy to find (eg try "Commonly used abbreviations"). Did you also try to guess?
    - SEARCH... does that remind you of something?
    - Make your subject clear. Avoid the common "a few question(s)". People should know before opening the post if they may be able to answer or not.
    - Search
    - Is your question really linked with the forum you are going to post in? If not, please try to find a more appropriate one, to avoid extra work for the Mods!
    - Search could be translated as "rechercher" in french.
    - If you plan starting your post with "I am sorry if it has already been asked before but..." then surely it had. And if so, it will irritate people... look at first and second rules
    - There is an option called "SEARCH"
    - If this makes your post clearer, don't hesitate to use text formating : bold, italic, colors, size, etc.... But this is not a fashion contest : do it to help people get your point, not to make their eyes bleed..
    - Someone people sometimes perform a search before posting.
    - There are plenty of databases or database-like websites that gather nearly all the informations you may be looking for (here again, info can be found in the "Beginner FAQ" under the "MISCELLANEOUS" part)
    - Do I sound like I insist on searching? : on purpose! 80% of the posts would have not been posted if a real search had been previously performed. In order to prove it, I propose you try to search for "FB19"... this is meaningful.
    - ...And this would surely have been 90% if FAQ/guides had been read first.

And the ones about being fair :

- There is a common rule that says that a discussion is over (ie definitely fruitless) as soon as someone has named someone/something else "facist" (or any synonym). Indeed, this should never be used... there are a few other similar words/sentences that should FOREVER be banished in order to keep discussing instead of fighting. I am sure I don't need to give you a list of them.
    - Level is not the same as IQ. Don't mix things up.... it may be very boring for some less experienced player facing some other player who acts like he is a kind of Genius King or something similar.
    - Not everyone can talk a fluent and perfect English (especially me as a native French talking being)... even some native-English talking people I know don't. Not only pointing out that flaw will not strengthen your argumentation, but also this will irritate people trying to argue with you. Definitely something that you should be aware of and thus avoid. However, if you mean to help someone improve his language abilities, there are plenty of polite ways to do it without breaking the discussion.
    - But also, If you belong to the previous category, try to understand that people may not understand you, and don't get rude about that : try to say it a different way, or ask a friend/relative to help. And if you eventually can't manage to make it clear, try to say it in your language and ask if someone could translate it for you.
    - If you are VERY angry or irritated about something and wanna talk about this..... don't. Wait until you get calmer. No fair nor intelligent discussion can be built on emotional basis.
    - If you feel like the real world doesn't want you or doesn't like you, don't take your revenge on anonymous players as soon as you can.... we are sorry for you but this will not help you get better. Instead, the numeric world will also start hating you.
    - If someone has not said something, then he has not. Do not answer to what you think is only suggested unless you are perfectly sure it was... languages mistakes and non-native english could be quite confusing.
    - If you happen to ask something, a quick and easy "thank you" after you've been answered makes a great difference between a human being and something else.
    - "WTF, tak it ez every1 . LMAO. :)))))))) LoL U suk" is not proper english, even for a non native-talking person. Really, avoid it if you don't want people to get angry about you for no apparent reason....
    - There is a forum called "Rules of Conduct"... did you read it?
    - Eventually, remember the player you are arguing with may be 30 years older or younger than you.... Being aware of this may seriously improve the quality of many discussions.

These many rules could also apply in game of course.

Yours faithfully,

Dys

PS : I told you English was not my native language. So feel free to point out (fairly) the many mistakes I surely did. I will correct them asap.
    PS' : I am surely not exhaustive about rules that you should follow to improve forum overall quality. I'll add the ones you'll suggest (unless they are REALLY stupid indeed)
    PS ''' : I would gladly provide a French version of this If you want one. For other languages, you'll have to ask your friends with good english abilites.
    PS'''' : I have followed my own rules and search for such a topic.... if I happened to fail : feel free to throw me everything you can find (including money of course!)

* : Holly Hall, Twilight Temple, What the F***!, Oh My God!, Laughing My A** Off
    How can i get molds???
    what is the benifits of dragon quests?
    how can i rapidly increase my spirit ( except killing monsters)?
    i failed to find the answers so help me please
  • teewee55
    teewee55 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    how enter game?b:cryb:sadb:surrender
  • Assburger - Harshlands
    Assburger - Harshlands Posts: 785 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well, i will admit i've made bad posts and pointless threads. Learning from experience i think is one of the best ways to actually start posting on forums properly. But the list was very helpful though :)
    Harshland's everlasting cleric L.uckyrose and damn proud of it

Should be back very very soon...two weeks from now at most b:bye
    ~Pst...imma girl barb ;-P
  • illieron
    illieron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hey! i know this might be a silly question but how much spirit do you need, as a winged elf, to become a Spirtual Adept? i come to the taoist and he keeps on saying "you have to explore more in the perfect world and increase your spirit" or something like that please help.
  • james5o5
    james5o5 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Where xD is that stone arrrrg. its said to go to the shop thing so (i hit "O" and i dont see anything like that name)
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    james5o5 wrote: »
    Where xD is that stone arrrrg. its said to go to the shop thing so (i hit "O" and i dont see anything like that name)
    It's in the Boutique under Utility -> Storage. FYI, it's cheaper in the long run to get the Super Inventory Stone than it is to keep buying Inventory Extension Stones.

For other items, take a look at the Cash Shop page on the PWI wiki, it can help you find stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • shtefi
    shtefi Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Can please someone tell me how to sell my items :S
  • spikefool
    spikefool Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    what is the "assassin coordinator' and h also he doesnt show up in the city of raging tides where he should be atleast he's not on my game. What i want to know is what hes used fioor and if ill need him?
  • imnice222331122
    imnice222331122 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Hey can i be in your guild
  • jusse95
    jusse95 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • glittermuffin
    glittermuffin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I wanted to say good post to the OP, but also make a bit of a request.

Being this is my first post here, I hope this doesn't get me labeled as a jerk, but I'm trying to do the right thing and read the noob forums to get a feel for the place seeing as how I'm new-ish to the game (and subsequently, the forum.)

The request: Could you take the bright colors out of the original post and perhaps use something just a little teeny bit toned down/darker or less bold? I actually had to highlight the text in order to read the post because the bright colors on the dark background were causing physical pain to my eyeballs.

I'm actually an administrator of 2 other forums, and a member of several others, and usually bright colors like that aren't even an option for text because it does cause problems for some people when they're trying to read the text.

b:shy

Please don't take offense; I'm just making a soft request and trying to help out others who might have this same problem. It was rather difficult to read through that post because of the colors.
  • tomkis29
    tomkis29 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    hi. what is that arows

20101109145548.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    tomkis29 wrote: »
    hi. what is that arows

20101109145548.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The arrows, from left to right, are:
    Coordinate Assistant arrows
    Squad Leader arrow
    Quest Rewarder NPC arrow

To get rid of them, you can:
    1. Clear your coordinate assistant (the green button around the minimap with an arrow on it)
    2. Untick the arrow for the squad leader by clicking the green arrow on the squad menu, IIRC:
    3. Unticking the box that says "Track NPC location" or similar at your quest menu.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Selth - Dreamweaver
    Selth - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What does it mean by beta? when it sent me an email saying 'oh yeah, bye' and then it said to fill somthing out... but huh? o-o
    -Insert cool stuff here-
  • zerocoolro
    zerocoolro Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How much is mystical blood?
    ]
    beta= in testing, not finish
  • overlordloon11
    overlordloon11 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    hello i just got this game downloading now can anyone let me know what its like or if its any good please and thank you :)

Overlordloon:)
    xXxOV3RLORDLOONxXx
  • jaboy1
    jaboy1 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    heelp!!! im lvl 7 and al my skills are interrupted what should i doo??
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    jaboy1 wrote: »
    heelp!!! im lvl 7 and al my skills are interrupted what should i doo??
    You should ask this question in its own thread, and be sure to include information on what class you're playing and what is happening when you see that your skills are interrupted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • katrinakimono
    katrinakimono Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    someone tell me how to get to the solstone altar?
  • drowmistress
    drowmistress Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'd like to know that too.
  • Savidlin - Harshlands
    Savidlin - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    On what ranged or magic mobs should i grind for money (and DQ items) with my 52 archer?
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is how to ask a question, not where to ask a question, idiots.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Awamomori - Archosaur
    Awamomori - Archosaur Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ok, O,. o b:questionuh,.. i feel like a COMPLETE AND TOTAL NOOB right now for asking this but uhrmmb:surrender.
    b:irritated How do i find my other levels??
    -like strength
    -like [my bad if i spell wrong] dexterity
    -um um.. i cant remember any others but yeah

so id really appreciate it if someone could let me know x3??

-From,
    -A Complete and Utter Noob. b:bye
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Boo.. necro.

Awamomori, as to find your character's stats, just look at the second icon in the menu bar (the one with your inventory, emotes, quest log, etc.), it's the one with the face.

Thread will be closed, soon, ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!! b:avoid
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • violentxwhisper
    violentxwhisper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hi, I have quite an annoying problem, i can choose server and push the start button, log in, then i'm having the screen where there's a big circle on the ground where i guess my character should stand on, but i can't create any character, there is nothing but two buttons with 'start' and 'exit' , and the start button doesn't works.. I can't wait to play the game but i just can't? can someone please help me? :(
  • birdconure00
    birdconure00 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I just have a few questions..I just joined this game and I am at the City of Lost (?) and am currently a venomancer at lvl 4. I just recently got my first pet (the wolf one, when you get to choose between that one and a scorpion) and these are my questions..

1) Does the pets hunger level go down when it is stored/not called out?

2) I got my pet to lvl 4 and now its exp says 80/80..Why did it stop going up?

3) When/where can I buy meat for my pet? The water does not seem to fill it for very long.
  • Veilana - Heavens Tear
    Veilana - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    in answer to why your pet is no longer leveling up, it probably has to do with the fact that your pet can't be higher level than you yourself are. At least thats what I would assume.

Mystics pet auto levels so I don't really know how it works with Venomancer. As for where you can buy food, there are really only two options that I know of... the Pet Manager, and the Auction House.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    1. No
    2.Your pet can't be a higher level than yourself.
    3.Buy from players, or farm from certain mobs which I do not know the name of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D