About the Perfect Packs which yield the Herc and Nix tickets:

Options
zbzkda
zbzkda Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Venomancer
Hi everyone,

I saw the new sale this morning, and I'd just like to share my experience with opening the Perfect Packs.

I logged on, excited, and I immediately traded some coins on AH for 10 gold. On my fist try opening the packs I got a Nix ticket :) (Thank you PWE).

However, since then, I haven't got any more rare pet tickets at all. I have since bought about...I'd say 20-22 gold more worth in these perfect packs, (using in game coin though), and I haven't got any more nix or herc tickets. Luckily, I cunningly traded my nix ticket for a herc ticket, so I can now go on to farm the nix, and not bother about the packs anymore.

BUT, what is the point in this topic? The facts above are quite self-evident: there's a 0.1% chance to get the item from the packs. HOWEVER, I have spent in real life money, approximately US$110.00 :)

So, if the PWE coders were to say, add a condition that you must have a certain minimum balance of previous real-money purchases before you get the herc/nix tickets, then it would certainly make sense that on my FIRST try, I got a nix ticket, and subsequent tries have been fruitless, yielding nothing more than Perfect stones, shards, and mirages :)

I'm not sure enough about this to say, it's what the situation is, but if other venos have had similar experiences, this would be a good place to say it, so that people who have earned all their money in in-game coin, and not invested around US$100 in PWI, would not try the packs thinking they have a fair chance to get one of the pets.

In other words, post up your own experience if you have got a herc/nix from the Perfect packs, (or more than one), and state whether or not your total investment in IRL cash has totaled near to the cost of a herc/nix, and how many tries it took you to get the ticket from the packs.

I seriously wonder: people who don't RPK, if you play the board game "Sorry!" and you roll the dice so that you land on an opponents piece and send it back to the beginning, do you sincerely apologize and ask everyone if you can have a do-over roll so you can give your victim another chance? It's a god damn game..

--LongKnife
Post edited by zbzkda on

Comments

• Spliffany - Lost City
    Spliffany - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/10118

0.2% chance to get a battle pet ticket. statistically this means 1 ticket out of 500 packs... so i think u were just extremely lucky
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Peerless -> GuardianZ -> RageQuit -> Spectral -> Essence -> Tri-Force [retired]
  • rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Why are the rare flyers from these packages so slow? They should be 3.20 speed flyers?
  • zbzkda
    zbzkda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Lol, rgog: they feel slow, but they actually are faster. Try chasing someone down on your flying mount and you'll see the speed difference when you catch up. On the other hand, try chasing someone on a mount of the same speed as theirs, and you'll actually see that the distance between you two won't get closed at all :)

Also, thanks Spliffany for the correction, it's a 0.2% chance, and not a 0.1% chance :O
    I seriously wonder: people who don't RPK, if you play the board game "Sorry!" and you roll the dice so that you land on an opponents piece and send it back to the beginning, do you sincerely apologize and ask everyone if you can have a do-over roll so you can give your victim another chance? It's a god damn game..

--LongKnife
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    0.2% chance to get a herc tick + 0.2% chance to get a nix ticket = 0.4% chance to get a battle pet ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Lol, rgog: they feel slow, but they actually are faster.

but the speed is listed as 2.5, highest regular flyers are 3.0 and ones from special events are 3.3 - so for such a rare find they should be at least 3.0 and probably faster IMO
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    zbzkda wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

BUT, what is the point in this topic? The facts above are quite self-evident: there's a 0.1% chance to get the item from the packs. HOWEVER, I have spent in real life money, approximately US$110.00 :)

So, if the PWE coders were to say, add a condition that you must have a certain minimum balance of previous real-money purchases before you get the herc/nix tickets, then it would certainly make sense that on my FIRST try, I got a nix ticket, and subsequent tries have been fruitless, yielding nothing more than Perfect stones, shards, and mirages :)

I'm not sure enough about this to say, it's what the situation is, but if other venos have had similar experiences, this would be a good place to say it, so that people who have earned all their money in in-game coin, and not invested around US$100 in PWI, would not try the packs thinking they have a fair chance to get one of the pets.

gambling: buying a chance to win something of higher value than the cost of the chance.

Purchasing: 100% chance of getting what you want, at the cost of 100% of its market value
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LenaKitteh - Dreamweaver
    LenaKitteh - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well, I will share my experience with the Perfect Packs.

Firstly, I will say flat out that I cash shopped my Herc back in December (about $180). I've also geared a level 94 Cleric and 89 Veno up via gold buying through the boutique. Not ashamed of it, but I've spent way more than the Herc purchase in total. If that correlates to the opening of packs, I doubt it.

I was actually on another game when I remembered that it was Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and PWI had updated. Hopped on the front page to check and was kind of shocked to see both legendary pets included in this new pack. I've not been as active as I could have been lately, so I had a good amount of in game coin saved up. I had planned on buying a Nix when the pack sale hit, but I never quite got all the funds together.

Logged in to find ONE vendor in West Arch selling the packs I needed. All in all, I spent about 20m in-game coin, and got my Nix ticket on my 15th pack opening out of 40 packs I purchased.

Needless to say, I was completely happy since I finally had some luck in this game! Even happier when I found out the loot rate (0.2%!) I am not a PKer but I wanted the Nix anyway, and this was a nice cheap way of getting it :)
  • WingedHlpr - Lost City
    WingedHlpr - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Me I had better luck getting the flyers (4 in total) than the pet tickets... spent about $200 on the packs and got nothingb:cry
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gambling: buying a chance to win something of higher value than the cost of the chance.

Purchasing: 100% chance of getting what you want, at the cost of 100% of its market value
    This is where the adage "quit while you're ahead" comes from. The way most gambling is set up (including in this game), you are on average better off with the second choice listed above than the first. That means if you get lucky with the first choice and get the prize early, quit while you're ahead. The longer you continue to gamble, the greater your probability of coming out a loser.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The problem here is, that there are scammers who try to get you to buy stuff at 300, 500, 800, 10,000, or 50,000% of market value.

Ever purchased teles at 87,000 coins a pop? There, you just got scammed. Purchased a Razor Sting for 18 mil? You got ripped off.

Buying from other players is a gamble all in itself. It's neither more safe, nor easier, than buying a bunch of packs.

I personally try to do neither. b:surrender
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with that.

Buying from players isn't a gamble if you watch the market and know what things are worth. (Not counting gambling on market shifts for merchanting.)

If you purchased a tele for 87k instead of 8.7k or a perfect token for the price of a best luck token, it's really your own fault for not looking at the numbers/items closely.

If you buy a Razor Sting from a player, it's not going to magically turn into a Griffin/Drake/Roc when you equip it. You know exactly what you're getting for the the exact price you're paying. That's not gambling.

It's low for people to set up catshops that are misleading, but it's really not that hard to avoid them.