Does PWI encourage scamming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

He is right In other certain Blizzard RPG they (player) 'roll' for items. In ours we could do something like this.

They also do it like this in Forsaken World b:chuckle

I agree that if the last NV boss drops visible items and the others drop chests, it seems like it would be simple enough to change the others... All the other bosses in every other instance in the game drop visible items. Of course it does pay to roll with people you trust.

I don't know about changing the token icons. Guess it couldn't hurt. However, they are both tokens, presumably in the same family of items, one high-grade and one low-grade. No one complains about single and double spark icons being the same. (Or very similar, I can't tell a difference.) By the way I'm not a scammer, and haven't been scammed, I just read carefully etc.

This game is very similar to real life in many ways, it really pays to find some people you trust when you need help. It pays to read the fine print twice before you pay a lot of money for something. And sometimes you just have crappy luck even when everything else appears to be going fine.

I liked FiDolla's example with the used car, being a mechanic I can tell you this is so true and happens all the time. No one knows anything about the way their vehicles work (extreme generalization but for the most part true) The people that do know will be able to look over the car and see if it's in the condition described, or worth the asking price, and the rest have no choice but to blindly trust the seller or dealer.

Ok enough philosophy, back to grinding b:thanks
  • Pvp_watcher - Harshlands
    Pvp_watcher - Harshlands Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Look at the prices in the Boutique, of course they encourage scamming, they are doing it themselves. b:chuckle
  • TankedBeast - Lost City
    TankedBeast - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Good idea on the NV topic. About icons needing to be different, agreed for the most part. ---And btw, tweakz doesn't play any more from what i hear. Just trollz forums. They more burnt out than the rolling stones...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Leader of Sangnati (Latin for Blood Born/Nation)
    We can be your best friend... Or your worst enemy...
    Which would you prefer?
    b:sin
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
    Yes, 5.0 really is OP. Yet, I still got it... b:chuckle
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    They will tell you themselves they do not encourage, but they will not do anything about it. From a conversation I once had with one of their reps, when an player receives an item, they are in no way expected to share it or give you anything for it (this includes common scams like when a player tells you they will give you some service or item for money, but upon receiving it, do not honor the deal). Apparently, while they will compare in-game scams to common cons we know of in real life, they will not enforce any punishment on them like real cons are enforced, nor will they create any new rules regarding them, though they have that ability and right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • DrowsEdge - Heavens Tear
    DrowsEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    These topics NEED to be addressed by the PWI staff and development. Please respond to one of the 3-4 topics now in general discussion. I know ultimately you care about making your players (customers) happy. We spend hundreds if not thousands in gold per player who has income as an adult. We should be able to have issues about the game addressed and changed for the better.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Are you trying to say that capitalists don't want your money?

Capitalists want your money. Communists want your entire life.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    FiDollaYou - Sanctuary Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm sorry, not all of us are little kids or teenagers. Our minds have been wrecked from years of stress, work, medication, age, or sickness.

I'm likely older and more "wrecked" than you are... I just tend to pay attention to what I'm buying. Oh, I've made some poor decisions and paid way to much for items (usually when sobriety has left the building), but I've never been "scammed" per se.
    Scumbags that think it's "OK" to rip people off because the buyer may not be as coherent as the next shouldn't be enabled by bad design.

And... the alternative is a nanny state. There are always going to be inattentive or gullible people - and shady folk to take advantage of them. The only way to eliminate all scamming would be to eliminate the cat shops and the possibility of player trades. Probably the AH as well.

The two tokens have similar *but not identical* icons - as befits two items from the same "family". But then, this is true of a lot of item families in the game. If they made the two token icons vastly different, then something else would take their place as the Prime Scam.
    Selling a lemon and false advertising is illegal

If it's a sale between two private citizens, then no, it's not illegal.
    , but if you purchase as is that is how you get screwed. ALSO, you can sue in real life and get back your money from theifs and scammers. Yes you can sue individuals who **** you over (doesn't mean you'll win),

You probably will NOT win. You might win if, say, you "purchased" a Ferrari and the other guy handed you the keys to a Kia. Might. No guarantees.
    go watch daytime T.V. and one of the 10 judge shows genius. You can't in PWI.

And those judge shows bear about as much resemblance to "real life" as C.S.I. does to actual police crime labs.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    And those judge shows bear about as much resemblance to "real life" as C.S.I. does to actual police crime labs.
    have you been in the courtroom for an actual case?
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    have you been in the courtroom for an actual case?

Yes, I have. And I assure you that (with a few notable exceptions *cough*OJ*cough*) entertainment value takes a back seat to proper courtroom behavior in a real case before a real judge.

The "judge shows" more or less approximate a court room setting, and they do follow a lot of the same procedures, but participant behavior and the judges' rulings are based more on entertainment factor/ratings than they are on actual case law. They pretty much get away with it because it's considered arbitration and the "judgments" are paid by the shows' producers.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    the judges' rulings are based more on entertainment factor/ratings than they are on actual case law.
    I was in the court for a federal case, and asside from the joking that they do in the shows it was very similar.
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I was in the court for a federal case, and asside from the joking that they do in the shows it was very similar.

As I said:
    The "judge shows" more or less approximate a court room setting, and they do follow a lot of the same procedures, but participant behavior and the judges' rulings are based more on entertainment factor/ratings than they are on actual case law. They pretty much get away with it because it's considered arbitration and the "judgments" are paid by the shows' producers.

In other words, they may look and feel a bit like a real courtroom/trial, they have different aims, different goals, different rules, and (mostly) different results. But sure, other than that the two are identical:)

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So hop back on the computer in that nice trailer of yours, smoke your ****, and scam some people while you still can. Have a nice day.

You mad bro?
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    so you're telling me that they don't follow the law? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree there, they even EXPLAIN the law behind their rulings.
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    so you're telling me that they don't follow the law? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree there, they even EXPLAIN the law behind their rulings.

They have the freedom to interpret the law however they wish, they are not bound by case law, and they edit the shows to match the rulings that give the best entertainment value. But sure, they are "real".
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm not getting into this debate with you, it's pointless because all you continue to talk in circles with no actual facts or proof.
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm not getting into this debate with you, it's pointless because all you continue to talk in circles with no actual facts or proof.

Perhaps a paper by the ABA will be more convincing than I:
    As popular as they are, there is a major misconception about syndi-courts. The
    sets are dressed up like courtrooms and the judges wear robes and have gavels, however,
    these are not real courtrooms and, while in syndi-court, these judges are, in reality
    arbitrators. In order for the syndi-court "judges" to have power, the parties in each case
    sign agreements to arbitrate. By gaining jurisdiction over the parties through contract,
    the judges are not bound by rules of procedure, evidence, or even proper decorum, which
    allow them to behave as they do. While syndi-courts adhere to their own rules and
    function very differently than regular courtrooms, the general public does not know that
    they are not actual courtrooms, as they are designed to look like the public's notion of the
    appearance of a courtroom. Viewer misconception that these videotaped arbitrations are
    actual court cases can have extremely detrimental effects on the legal system. The
    danger is that the public perceives these shows as how trials are supposed to work, which,
    in turn, warps potential jurors' approach to acting as impartial triers of fact.

Or perhaps you just want to believe everything you see on TV.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    perhaps you mised that part where I said I was a juror, you also obviously missed that I watched several after, and the very LAW that I jusdged on in that case was the very law that the cases on TV were bassed on? (or something very close to it, as I was in a federal case, and it was a serious case, not over like $30 or a TV) perhaps not EVERYTHING on TV should be believed, but from what I have seen the judge shows are, while comical, are very factual. forget the decorum, I don't buy that the cases are pre-detemined. it isn't the WWE, it's the law.
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    perhaps you mised that part where I said I was a juror, you also obviously missed that I watched several after, and the very LAW that I jusdged on in that case was the very law that the cases on TV were bassed on? (or something very close to it, as I was in a federal case, and it was a serious case, not over like $30 or a TV) perhaps not EVERYTHING on TV should be believed, but from what I have seen the judge shows are, while comical, are very factual. forget the decorum, I don't buy that the cases are pre-detemined. it isn't the WWE, it's the law.

I didn't say that the cases are predetermined. Simply that the syndi-court judges are free to interpret the law as and how they wish. They are not bound (or possibly even influenced) by precedent. Any "pre-determination" comes more from the choice of which disputes to televise.

These shows are *designed* to look and feel like "real" courts, so it's not surprising that they do.
  • TheWorm - Dreamweaver
    TheWorm - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I put exactly what you said in the suggestion box 2months ago, nothing is happening, Im suprised...not :<
    101 Psy
    100 Cleric
    100 BM
    96 Sin

Pure pwnge
  • Foxxxxiiiiii - Sanctuary
    Foxxxxiiiiii - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Actually no, they can't do that.

Because how would the program code know what is the price the players set for a mat? Or how would it know if a certain player places a higher value on a certain mat because they want it for their gears? Or how about the gold mats, where would their prices come from?

And if a gold mat does drop, how would the game balance that out? After all, the code cannot just split the mat into 6 pieces nor is it guaranteed that there will be enough mats to give everyone a share equal to the price of the gold mat.

I suppose they could do a system similar to runes***e where the game prices things. Not exactly the same because that f***ed runes***e up (not like it was ever un****ed up in the first place)...

Also, a Need/Greed Roll system like FW, WoW, and RoM would be good. All the lastest MMOs are doing it, its really in right now.
  • DrowsEdge - Heavens Tear
    DrowsEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bump.

Why in the hell is this 6 pages long and not one from the PWI staff has acknowledged these topics or responded. Show us that you guys GIVE A DAMN. Cause it's pissing me off and I'm ready to leave this ****ing game. You guys get MORE than monthly games, ****ing fix this ****!!!
  • Honourless - Heavens Tear
    Honourless - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Bump.

Why in the hell is this 6 pages long and not one from the PWI staff has acknowledged these topics or responded. Show us that you guys GIVE A DAMN. Cause it's pissing me off and I'm ready to leave this ****ing game. You guys get MORE than monthly games, ****ing fix this ****!!!

No offence to you,but you have more chance of seeing humans travel to alpha centauri within the next 5 years than pw showing they give a damn and address issues with this game b:laugh
    How to be pro at all recent COD games,lay claymore behind you at exit to room,lie down and shoot anyone coming in front door,rinse and repeat.
    Host advantage get you killed?Never fear,with a 50% chance of spawning in behind your killer revenge will surely be yours.
    Can't aim for ****?Never fear.aim assist and cursor magnetism!
    Best of all,after a few kills the game will play itself and bump your k/d to new highs with its killstreaks system!