Forum advertisements getting more aggressive

Options
Kieve - Dreamweaver
Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
So, while in the process of browsing 'round here, I tried opening a new thread, and the strangest thing kept happening:
-Thread would open, display correctly
-Page would white out (redirect) almost immediately, and the status bar at the bottom claimed it was "transferring data from www.googleadservices.com"
-This happened about four times on various threads, until I updated a filter on AdBlock to deny "googleadservices.com" any access. Pages are now opening fine, by the way.

But what prompts me to post this thread is, even with FireFox's adblocker running, I have never had a problem with ads before. Now they're not only slipping past the blocker, but calling page redirects and denying proper access to a page? Anyone else having experiences like this?

And to Frankie - I've never understood why PWE felt the need to introduce third-party advertising to its pages in the first place, but when those ads start interrupting functionality even with script-blockers and the like active and running... maybe it's time to re-evaluate that decision?

EDIT: I should clarify, my system is clean of malware. I scan it thoroughly and frequently, and can safely say I haven't picked up any digital diseases.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clockwork spider luvs you.
youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
Post edited by Kieve - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Purple_fury - Sanctuary
    Purple_fury - Sanctuary Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    same thing is happening to me b:angry did a virus scan and nothing came up
    it seems only on the pw forums does this happen b:angry its freaking annoyinggggggg

edit: after adding "googleadservices.com" to my adblocker its stopped for now atleast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mozilla Firefox + Adblock b:dirty

I haven't been getting any of these advertisement issues at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The exact same thing is happening to me. I thought my computer was acting up. So the cause it's an add thenb:lipcurl

I have firefox too, is that addblocker an extension for firefox?
  • douknowjello
    douknowjello Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Same thing happened to me today but I was on here yesterday without no problem. I tried 5x to post here and it kept hanging up on ad redirecting me. I finally shut down firefox and opened explorer and it was fine. But I hate using explorer so thats not convenient to have to switch browsers. The writing at bottom said "transfering data from googleleads doubleclick.net" if that means anything.
  • Purple_fury - Sanctuary
    Purple_fury - Sanctuary Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The exact same thing is happening to me. I thought my computer was acting up. So the cause it's an add thenb:lipcurl

I have firefox too, is that addblocker an extension for firefox?

yea, its a addon called ad blocker plus
    you can download it from the addon section on the mozilla site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's an addon, yes. And there's something slight relief in knowing it's not just me. As I said in the OP, I don't see why PWE thinks it needs third-party advertising on its site to begin with, but when it starts causing trouble with the site itself? Re-evaluate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I was just going to post that I never had that problem and after I logged in I think it was getting ready to redirect me because it looked like a new window opening.

I tend to close my browser immediately when that happens, which is pretty much never. Safari is good like that lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • BabaORiley - Dreamweaver
    BabaORiley - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This started today for me with Firefox. Very annoying, and forces me to use IE instead as Firefox simply will not display the pages.

PW -- PLEASE FIX THIS!b:beg

I like to view your advertiser banners to support PW, but, if this continues, I may switch to using the Addblocker plugin.

I wonder if this also might be opening us up to cross site scripting attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The exodus is here
    The happy ones are near
    BabaORiley
  • KedgeSniper - Lost City
    KedgeSniper - Lost City Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    b:nosebleed Ads = Money

What part you dont get b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Face the fear. Face a war. Face the world.
    Leeching CQ salary since 09'
    Many names, Common Faces.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i happened to me too several times, and I've gone ahead and added the following lines to my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 googleadservices.com

and it seems to be chilled out for the time being. maybe its a one off that it actually worked but until I added both those lines I couldn't get the general discussion forum to load at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I wonder if this also might be opening us up to cross site scripting attacks.

NoScript. firefox plugin. lets you decide which sites to run javascript (or flash) from, on a case by case basis.

it's a bit uncomfortable to use noscript at first, because you don't realize how much modern websites depend on javascript and flash --- even from third-party sites that are nothing to do with the site you're actually trying to view --- until you have to turn each script on manually. but after a while, you'll have your defaults and your preferred whitelist all set up, and you'll be amazed how much faster things are. also how much less annoying.

works well with adblock, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I thought maybe my issues with this site recently were related to the ads, but I wasn't sure...I'm glad others have confirmed my suspicion.

I haven't had any issues for a couple of days, though, so it seemed like the ad(s) causing the problems may be gone now?
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty much going to stop coming to forums except for tuesdays if it keeps up. Congrats on lowering site traffic b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • KedgeSniper - Lost City
    KedgeSniper - Lost City Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    b:victory Spam Ads but Ranking system still broken and core connect still broken.

b:cute Just sit tight and click on the ads
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Face the fear. Face a war. Face the world.
    Leeching CQ salary since 09'
    Many names, Common Faces.
  • violetvalor
    violetvalor Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mozilla Firefox + Adblock b:dirty

I haven't been getting any of these advertisement issues at all.

I am sorry for those of you having the issues, but I am in the same boat as Gravoria. In fact I also have had no issues with public computers that just use IE. oO Though they may have some hidden blocking software working in the background somehow, I suppose.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hey guys, I haven't seen any of the behaviors reported so far (using Chrome), but I've forwarded your concerns to the marketing team so they can look into it.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hey guys, I haven't seen any of the behaviors reported so far (using Chrome), but I've forwarded your concerns to the marketing team so they can look into it.

I use chrome and have no problem too.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ok, now I added adblocker for firefox and those pop ups don't come out anymore.
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    pop up don't like me...they dont even try to come to me b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Translation: Nothing will be done. The marketing team is the reason PWI has gone to hell. The devs may have some blame behind bad additions with little forethought, but it's ultimately the marketing team that is behind PWI's downward spiral.

But yeh, this happened to me to yesterday.
  • Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide
    Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I was having issues with this earlier was using IE to combat it (who would of thaught IE would serve a purpose)... Seems to be fixed now though.
    02/07/2011 - Lost paitence with PWI sold all my gear bought packs and wasted my coin till it was gone... goodbye PWI b:bye
  • Drazomyst - Dreamweaver
    Drazomyst - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm using Chrome and I've not had any problems here, aside from when the ads cause all of the tabs to freeze for a second or two after loading a page....
    [Retired from PWI]
  • Vitruvio - Raging Tide
    Vitruvio - Raging Tide Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's an addon, yes. And there's something slight relief in knowing it's not just me. As I said in the OP, I don't see why PWE thinks it needs third-party advertising on its site to begin with, but when it starts causing trouble with the site itself? Re-evaluate.

Thanks for this addonb:thanks
    96 Blademaster - 89 Venomancer
    81 Archer - 83 cleric
    86 seeker...
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Two Words: NO SCRIPT

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/

Here is another two words: PEER BLOCK
    http://www.peerblock.com/releases/public-releases/peerblock-1.1.0-r518

Also edit your hosts file if your running Windows 7 / XP

If you don't know where to find your hosts file or how to edit it:
    Clickedy Click

then add the line

127.0.0.1<tab>google-analytics.com
    127.0.0.0<tab>googleadservices.com

or

0.0.0.0<tab>google-analytics.com
    0.0.0.0<tab>googleadservices.com

Then just save it and there you go.

Don't want it, don't need it.

b:laugh

Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I had that problem to, it kept re-directing to Googlead.net and ****. I thought it was some kind of Virus first, but since i only had the problem on this site i figured my desk top was clean lol. Had to re-install Firefox to make it go away b:angry

Still not really sure whats causing it, prolly script related.
  • Zuqria - Dreamweaver
    Zuqria - Dreamweaver Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Google will keep bothering you, so Opt-Out **CLICK** as they were forced to provide... Its called Adsense/Ad-words : does anyone know what it really does, did you even know it is there?
    QUOTE from http://www.aboutads.info/choices/: Ads you receive on Web pages are customized based on predictions about your interests generated from your visits over time and across different Web sites.
    http://eu.ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html life after Google
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The thing I'd like to point out, since I don't think I've been very clear, is that I'm less concerned with having to adblock something else (google-ads) than I am over the fact that:
    1) They were invasive enough to disrupt actual use of the forums
    2) PWE is permitting third-party ads on their private domain.

Point 1 is self explanitory of course - obviously, errors that affect service use need to be dealt with, in some fashion (for my part, slipping an extra line or two of filter into a blocker isn't a big deal).
    Point 2 though... why should I (*potentially) be seeing ads on an MMO website for HBO, Netflix, "Singles" sites, other games, and/or especially competing MMOs (which we aren't allowed to discuss, mind you!). If PWE were advertising their own services or other MMOs, big deal - it's under the same roof. But I make the same point here that I did about the "buzz stream" that was briefly added to the main page, back when it was redesigned: you are letting someone into your private territory to do more or less as they please. How is this in any way a good decision?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Drazomyst - Dreamweaver
    Drazomyst - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    And any "professional" webmaster who integrates third-party controlled adverts that can (and will) disrupt or interfere a "professional" website should be fired, dragged out onto the streets and shot. Not necessarily in that order.
    [Retired from PWI]
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Google Chrome + Adblock b:dirty

There, I fixed it.
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This happened all yesterday on my windows portion using firefox. Or well, I wasn't redirected anywhere, but the site went white so I had to refresh it several times.

On safari it worked like a charm when I went to the osx part. Finally that stupid good for nothing browser does something right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]