Non-English vulgarisms

Options
neaderick
neaderick Posts: 28 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
Hello. I'm not totally sure about that, but I guess vulgar foreign languages nicknames aren't allowed? If they're not and they're bannable or something like that, how can I report it?
Post edited by neaderick on

Comments

• Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I fail to see the relation between vulgarisms and names in another language. As long as they're using the alphabet letters it's fine. Now foreign characters are completely different. Not everyone knows how to type letters in other languages, thus to prevent certain "things" from happening it's simply not allowed.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • neaderick
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I was talking about vulgar foreign languages... b:surrender

EG. Someone has a nickname saying "****You*****" (without ***) but it's in Russian, Polish, Spanish, etc. so not everyone knows it's a vulgar name. Is THIS bannable?
  • Brus - Lost City
    Brus - Lost City Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's not allowed.
    The language doesn't matter, the rules are for everyone.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's Perfect World INTERNATIONAL. Twelve times perfect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • neaderick
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Thanks for answering guys b:victory

Some 100 lvl Sin from Dreamweaver is gonna have troubles... b:sin
  • BarbsGirl - Lost City
    BarbsGirl - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    pffffff no, it is not.
    not like the GMs hire people from all over the world to patrol people. Example? Well, in chat you have stars (*) as filters, while when you type swear words in other languages..... GUESS WHAT?! no stars!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG could it be?
  • OmegaToth - Harshlands
    OmegaToth - Harshlands Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    wow...smells like some1 is butthurt about being killed by a sin..else i dunno why u should bother..its not like u get a warm hug from the GMs for being a rat...go go mebbe u find some1 doing something else wrong so u can report it too..ooor mebbe go out on the street and find some bad guys doing something wrong like crossing the streets without looking left or right so u can call the police..hell we need more ppl like u..btw in my text is a hidden curse..find it and report me b:victory
  • neaderick
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Go out troll. Rules are created for some reason, don't you think? And the reason is to obey them. So I don't see what's wrong in keeping rules obeyed... And I bother just because I saw it, it's not any personal matter.
  • OmegaToth - Harshlands
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jawohl Herr Hammerschmidt ! going out now ! ty for showing me the right path ! yes rules are made so people can obey them and for no other reason. i dont want to think what would happen if people could not find a rule to obey..mass suicide for sure.b:shocked
  • hydrolace
    hydrolace Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This seems situational. I know of several things that in their own language isn't vulgar at all, but if translated to english it sudden is scandalous. Or even just sounds bad when pronounced but the meaning is innocent. I hope the gms consider that if you honestly submit a ticket... seems a little off but I guess if it offends you oh so much...
    I mean goodness, I've heard of someone with the name therapist reported because if you take off the "the" it suddenly becomes offensive.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If you have to ask yourself if something is allowed, it usually isn't
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You know, props to you for looking into this. To be honest I'm tired of people QQing about other people breaking the rules in game yet they never make the effort to report the person. Ignore OmegaToth, he obviously still has a lot of growing up to do.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    neaderick wrote: »
    Hello. I'm not totally sure about that, but I guess vulgar foreign languages nicknames aren't allowed? If they're not and they're bannable or something like that, how can I report it?

It's true, they would not be allowed. To report someone for it, submit a ticket with the player's name and server.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    it's not technically allowed, for all the obvious reasons. it's also not very well policed --- not even in english, when you look at what names people are using out there --- and naturally the GMs can't speak every language in the world. so in practice you're likely to get away with it unless and until you annoy someone enough that they report you... at which point it may well come down to who the GMs believe, since it's possible the report will end up with someone who doesn't speak a word of the language in question.

self-policing may be the best approach here. the guild i'm in has a "no offensive or vulgar character names" policy which we stick to as best we can, making judgment calls for what we think offensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    it's not technically allowed, for all the obvious reasons. it's also not very well policed --- not even in english, when you look at what names people are using out there --- and naturally the GMs can't speak every language in the world. so in practice you're likely to get away with it unless and until you annoy someone enough that they report you... at which point it may well come down to who the GMs believe, since it's possible the report will end up with someone who doesn't speak a word of the language in question.

self-policing may be the best approach here. the guild i'm in has a "no offensive or vulgar character names" policy which we stick to as best we can, making judgment calls for what we think offensive.

As I secretly suggested before, the best thing GMs could do is to make searches in player database for character, faction and pet names and corfirm, isolate and punish the ones with offending ones. Of course, having a translator on the dubious ones would be useful.

As for filter circumvention, I guess that people hardly modify more than a few letters to remain a homonym, so the result would still be easy to get.
    The impossibility to add spaces, punctuation, hyphens, underscores or numbers is already a good thing.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • OmegaToth - Harshlands
    edited April 2011
    Options
    yea ignore me ..OmegaToth needs grow up..waste ur energy on reporting useless **** instead of bombing pwi with tickets about game flaws and bugs because thats soo much more important than actually using the ticket system to fix something that matters..instead go look for players with vulgar names so ur tiny epeen gets a boost when some1 gets banned because of ur stupid wasted ticket. pathetic...
  • Psudeotrophe - Dreamweaver
    Psudeotrophe - Dreamweaver Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    yea ignore me ..OmegaToth needs grow up..waste ur energy on reporting useless **** instead of bombing pwi with tickets about game flaws and bugs because thats soo less important than actually using the ticket system to fix something that matters..instead go look for players with vulgar names so ur tiny epeen gets a boost when some1 gets banned because of ur stupid wasted ticket. pathetic...

Someone needs a hug
    Apparently its more difficult to milk a smurf than originally conceived..
  • OmegaToth - Harshlands
    edited April 2011
    Options
    yes pls b:cry
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    yea ignore me ..OmegaToth needs grow up..waste ur energy on reporting useless **** instead of bombing pwi with tickets about game flaws and bugs because thats soo much more important than actually using the ticket system to fix something that matters..instead go look for players with vulgar names so ur tiny epeen gets a boost when some1 gets banned because of ur stupid wasted ticket. pathetic...

I kind of agree with Omega on this point.

There are far better things to bombard GMs over than if someone possibly has a vulgar name or not in some language that few may actually know.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I kind of agree with Omega on this point.

There are far better things to bombard GMs over than if someone possibly has a vulgar name or not in some language that few may actually know.

True enough, but it's not a reason for some to test/go against rules. As it's said, 'play too much with fire and end burning yourself' or something like that.
  • OmegaToth - Harshlands
    edited April 2011
    Options
    True enough, but it's not a reason for some to test/go against rules. As it's said, 'play too much with fire and end burning yourself' or something like that.

im not encouraging any1 to go gainst the rules. dun get me wrong. my opinion is that the energy used to send a ticket about a player who has a vulgar name w/e is better spend on making a ticket about someting usefull like rubberbanding(yes i know it will never be fixed due to incompetent devs that cant code even a different colour of font if they dont have a program for it) ooor the magic resistance buff of clerics ...ooor the GV bullcrap with being teleported to 1k ...my rant was originally about peoples mentality to go against some1 they dont know and just saw walking by (as the OP said) and report them only to get some satisfaction for themselves by banning some1 from game only cuz he/she has a vulgar name. to me these ppl r worse than some1 who choses a STUPID name that indicates vulgarity..it may just be me but i think we as a player base should stick together and dun go rulenazi on eachother just to feel some success in life..i better go sleep nao before i troll myself..happy eastern..yes u too mr OP
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    "LadyBollocks" had an english friend of mine laughing hard, but that really doesn't excuse the meaning behind the name. it isn't a polite one. Why should it be allowed? (I can't remember server, it's been a while)

if I write "****" (I'm shocked it isn't filtered on the forums, but it is ingame) do you get offended by it if you speak spanish? Why should you have to see it? it's the same with everything else. It's a matter of respect, not about flooding GMS with tickets.

note to frankie: I'll edit the word out in a few mins myself
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    im not encouraging any1 to go gainst the rules. dun get me wrong. my opinion is that the energy used to send a ticket about a player who has a vulgar name w/e is better spend on making a ticket about someting usefull like rubberbanding(yes i know it will never be fixed due to incompetent devs that cant code even a different colour of font if they dont have a program for it) ooor the magic resistance buff of clerics ...ooor the GV bullcrap with being teleported to 1k ...my rant was originally about peoples mentality to go against some1 they dont know and just saw walking by (as the OP said) and report them only to get some satisfaction for themselves by banning some1 from game only cuz he/she has a vulgar name. to me these ppl r worse than some1 who choses a STUPID name that indicates vulgarity..it may just be me but i think we as a player base should stick together and dun go rulenazi on eachother just to feel some success in life..i better go sleep nao before i troll myself..happy eastern..yes u too mr OP

Yes, I understand what you mean. And no worries, there is diversity in tickets. I wonder how many of each kind CMs/GMs get though. I am sure they are flooded with tickets regarding glitches and all. What worries me though is how gamers express themselves in their reports/complaints.
    'Fix the darned rubberbanding, bunch of fails, yo' (aimed at no one, it's an example of a typical angry customer that lacks a bit of etiquette) sure is not a proper way to ask people to change things for the better, even if you do finance them directly or not.

And then, they are human beings, not automatons. I always felt that CMs and GMs were the guys at the frontline, having to deal with angry customers. They are paid for it, but why make their lives misery? Nothing is perfect. And yes, it takes time to be corrected, even if some bugs irk me much.

Sometimes the community here makes me ponder, but yeah, things are not fully black or white, but there is all in between... It's all about variety, which should mean richness for a MMO like this one.
    And then, Terms of Service exist for a reason, it's a warning you gotta accept from day one as soon as you install the game.
    You got lots of freedom from management (trust me, if I were to create an online game, I'd be even more rigid, lol), but acting haphazardly at best, being a constant annoyance on purpose at worst only brings grief and hatred in game and around it.

Etc.

Thanks for reading. Happy Easter!

P.S.: I am not a representative of staff, I was not paid to write this (sadly... just kidding, eh, but still not paid) and I am no mercenary. I hope people will not flame at me for this (and then, I shall not back down on a calm, rational, mature response either if I am)