Music randomly turning on

Rawrgh - Raging Tide
Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I dunno if this is happening to anyone else.

I have the music and effect volume set to zero. I switch to firefox, or another client, and when I switch back, the music is playing, I open the settings menu and it shows it as the bar slider all the way to the left, yet the music is playing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
Post edited by Rawrgh - Raging Tide on

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Are you sure that you didn't switch to and from "Best Performance"? That can switch the music on and off. Otherwise, that's weird ._.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Used to get that over on MY. Was really annoying. The only thing I could do was reset the volume sliders everytime I switched windows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Krisnda wrote: »
    Are you sure that you didn't switch to and from "Best Performance"? That can switch the music on and off. Otherwise, that's weird ._.
    I'm positive, it's set to best performance on both of my clients constantly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Tayalka - Heavens Tear
    Tayalka - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    same happen to me since 2 years- open your Settings and put the volume louder, after this again to zero...if u find a way to stop this ghost-music-thingie constantly, let me know lol...same btw happen with sound effects and it's rly scarry if u suddely hear an owl or sth like this o.O"
    ~Roses are red,
    violetts are blue,
    God made me beautiful,
    but what happend to you?~
    b:laugh[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    same happen to me since 2 years- open your Settings and put the volume louder, after this again to zero...if u find a way to stop this ghost-music-thingie constantly, let me know lol...same btw happen with sound effects and it's rly scarry if u suddely hear an owl or sth like this o.O"
    Yea I know how to make it stop once it randomly turns on, I'm seeing if anyone knows how to keep it from happening in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyYueliang - Sanctuary
    LadyYueliang - Sanctuary Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    It's happened to me a few time's.
    When I was on my laptop and playing pw it would do the same thing to me. So I played around with the settings volume etc. It got annoying so then I check what every else I had going or connected ( speakers, head phones )

Its just a process of elimination of out going or in going aduio
    I hold all the keys to every realm... You killed me my love so in turn I shall be your reaper till the end of time.
  • Suaver - Raging Tide
    Suaver - Raging Tide Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You haz a ghost in the machine!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Belgare - Sanctuary
    Belgare - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Has always happened to me. Some time ago I posted asking if there was a way to eliminate the music files from my install dir to totally squish the issue. No go.
  • Elendirah - Sanctuary
    Elendirah - Sanctuary Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Same, it has been happening to me since I started playing this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Q____Q - Dreamweaver
    Q____Q - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I like it when you go back and the music turns on.. and youo're in west arch..
    Then it goes "Hoooooot hooooooooot" like an owl :3
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I have this problem at startup usually with slower machines; as if it doesn't catch the setting "no music" until I'm fully logged in. Usually when I'm trying to listen in vent.

RedMenace
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • MyuMyu - Harshlands
    MyuMyu - Harshlands Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    rename the music folder inside element to whatever you like, then the BGM wont turned up anymore, but sadly the sound effect sometimes still comes up, like foot steps or owl sounds...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2011

I have the music and effect volume set to zero. I switch to firefox, or another client, and when I switch back, the music is playing, I open the settings menu and it shows it as the bar slider all the way to the left, yet the music is playing.

This happens to me all the freaking time... >.>
    headphones on listening to music, switch back to turn on another song.
    back to pw
    *throws headphones off* holy **** that makes more noise then my drummer in a good mood... b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    yes it does... well to my wifes pc anyways... normally if she alt tabs...
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Happening at least 1x per day it`s what u call a "common feature " lol.
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Still no answer? Sheesh! Alright, this may be part of the mystery, try it and see if it helps.

Your normal "runtime" settings are stored in
    Perfect World International\element\userdata\systemsettings.ini

This is the .INI that gets changed whenever you make adjustments through the patcher, or in-game. There's no real reason to mess with it because everything you do will alter it anyway.

However, what you may not realize is that PW also keeps a separate "backup" set hidden away
    Perfect World International\patcher\video\defaultsettings.ini

These don't change, as far as I can tell. They also carry a setting for music and SFX:
    [Audio]
    SoundVol = 100
    MusicVol = 100

Naturally, my only guess is that for whatever reason, PWI occasionally reverts to these settings under certain circumstances. I changed MusicVol to 0 in the "defaultsettings.ini" list and I've not had the audio problems since.

*And if someone wants to jump down my throat over "editing game files," you can stuff it. Blame your buggy software, not my quick fix for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    B_K - Sanctuary Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    oh goodness thank you, i hate this mostly because i play all morning while hubby sleeps and it always manages to **** him off
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    ive actuallly never had this problem in the couple years ive played - on any computer I've played on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Same issue here. I agree with Angel above , it's a PWI feature. b:scorn

Usually happens when I open another browser window to check quest guides or go to fac website while playing and close that browser window out. The settings stay a zero but the music and/ or sound effects are there. Oh, IE-8 & using Vent on XP ser. pk 3. If acknowledged, it may get fixed after rubber-banding.

Semper Fi,

Boartracker
  • MiniDusk - Heavens Tear
    MiniDusk - Heavens Tear Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Still no answer? Sheesh! Alright, this may be part of the mystery, try it and see if it helps.

This is the .INI that gets changed whenever you make adjustments through the patcher, or in-game. There's no real reason to mess with it because everything you do will alter it anyway.

However, what you may not realize is that PW also keeps a separate "backup" set hidden away

These don't change, as far as I can tell. They also carry a setting for music and SFX:
    [Audio]
    SoundVol = 100
    MusicVol = 100

Naturally, my only guess is that for whatever reason, PWI occasionally reverts to these settings under certain circumstances. I changed MusicVol to 0 in the "defaultsettings.ini" list and I've not had the audio problems since.

*And if someone wants to jump down my throat over "editing game files," you can stuff it. Blame your buggy software, not my quick fix for it.

Thank you so very much Sir. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver
    EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I've had this happen to me before, including the effect noises (Like the waterfalls in the center of arch).
    I was on vent with my old guildies and i kept asking who the hell is talking with their sounds on? They all proceeded to yell at me, saying it was ME who had them on. I swore I turned off all my sounds and music, and when I checked the sliders, I was right, but it was still playing. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happily forum married to Zannie again. >:O Haters gonna hate
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I read this thread title "Music randomly turning me on".....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I read this thread title "Music randomly turning me on".....

Damn you! Now I see it too.
    */fistshake*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Happens to me too. Quite annoying.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited April 2011

This happens to me all the time. It is not new to me. I just move the volume again and it comes back.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited April 2011

[Audio]
    SoundVol = 100
    MusicVol = 100

Oh wow I hadn't seen this post yet. Thanks a lot.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    And I thought I was the only one with this problem. Good work for asking what dozens also had in mind. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    At least you have music. Mine been broken for over a year and I still got no fix to it.
    *Semi retired*
  • Sunaro - Lost City
    Sunaro - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Been happening to me ever since I can remember. Thanks so much for the fix Keph.
    Zektera - Blademaster
    Djeserit - Assassin
    TranquilSoul - Barbarian
    Torsti - Cleric
    Heartbourne - Seeker
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Sweet, those random sounds were starting to **** me off. Thank you Keph for your brilliant solution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.