Should i try to get a Penetrator Bow?

Zheromus - Archosaur
Zheromus - Archosaur Posts: 13 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Archer
At this moment i have a Sinister Shooter, but im thinking on trying to get the Penetrator bow as my next weapon... I have 4 Divine Honor of Light at this moment and im having a hard time to get more purple quests (it has been like two weeks since the last one...)... My point is: Should i keep grinding without leveling until i get two more divine honors (because i will no longer be able to get them after the 51) or should i stick with my Sinister Shooter and just toss away those divine honors?
Post edited by Zheromus - Archosaur on

Comments

• TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Depends how much pie you want out of your woman.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Sinister can easily last you through your 50s, so there's really no need to aim for penetrator. If you manage to get the quests needed for it, that's great. However it's nothing that's worth keeping yourself from leveling.

Assuming, of course, that you aren't Dan. Dan needs as much help "penetrating" as he can get b:chuckle
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    Sinister can easily last you through your 50s, so there's really no need to aim for penetrator. If you manage to get the quests needed for it, that's great. However it's nothing that's worth keeping yourself from leveling.

Assuming, of course, that you aren't Dan. Dan needs as much help "penetrating" as he can get b:chuckle

It is quite harder to operate with a much larger weapon.

• DeathVark - Raging Tide
    DeathVark - Raging Tide Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I used my SS 2x flawless +5 all the way to Wind and Clouds 2x flawless +5 at 69 and never regret it, then I used W&C all the way to 85, when I got my Broad Land with Perfect Garnet +7. I skipped Crimson Horn and will skip HS all the way to R8 bow. My Broad Land base damage refined to +7 is just a bit less than Heaven Shatterer refined to +5 at half the cost, and when it proc's it's comparable enough. So aside from debuff proc of HS, I see no reason wasting 45+mil on Lunar bow.
    I know you were asking about SS, but i just gave an example, that if you find a good refined weapon, u don't have to get EVERY weapon every 5 levels, just do the math.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I want a Penetrator if it looks good
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Stupid Dan...I saw him post then I automatically assumed the thread was about a Penetrator or something, then I saw that I was right b:infuriated
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    Stupid Dan...I saw him post then I automatically assumed the thread was about a Penetrator or something, then I saw that I was right b:infuriated

Everyone knows that when it comes to Dan, a Penetrator will ALWAYS be involved. b:laugh
  • Shandelzare - Sanctuary
    Shandelzare - Sanctuary Posts: 732 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Go straight for W&C
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Everyone knows that when it comes to Dan, a Penetrator will ALWAYS be involved. b:laugh

usually because he is always the one getting penetrated

and no do not get this bow, stick with the Shooter you got
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011

Considering he calls himself a "man cave" boss... I did have my suspicions! b:surrender
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I was given The Penetrator bow mold by a factionmate for free.

It was fantastic on my Archer. Very nice DPS for the level. However, for the cost of 10 silver orders and 25 copper orders, it's not worth buying the orders, nor is it worth spending 15+ mil on either. However, it's now available via Divine Honors, and as such, can be had for more or less free. I would say, yes, it is very much worth that.

I added a socket and put some lvl 8 shards in mine, and stashed it over to my sin. Pure awesome on Sin (at level 56, my G8 daggers, refined to +3, were doing 900 per hit on a mob, The Penetrator at +3, was doing 2500 per hit on the same mobs), gonna use it until Level 70 when I can use my Unicorn with 2 sockets, two perfect Garnets in it, and +3 refine on it.

Speaking of that, The Wind and the Clouds sling is very worth refining and keeping for higher levels, I put two perfect non-garnets in it, and use it on certain mobs with elemental resistances. It's situational, like i have a Guardian of the Realm I got via Divine Honors with a G10 earth shard in it. That's my FCC toy.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    I was given The Penetrator bow mold by a factionmate for free.

It was fantastic on my Archer. Very nice DPS for the level. However, for the cost of 10 silver orders and 25 copper orders, it's not worth buying the orders, nor is it worth spending 15+ mil on either. However, it's now available via Divine Honors, and as such, can be had for more or less free. I would say, yes, it is very much worth that.
    Meh. Personally, I wouldn't find holding back for that weapon as worth it. If he had another goal like leveling skills, getting a good LP genie, or simply managed to get the last orders prior to hitting 51, sure. However, keeping a lower level for a Penetrator when he has a weapon that can serve him quite fine til 69 (or 60 if he feels like going for TT60 as soon as he can get it) just doesn't seem worth it to me.
    I added a socket and put some lvl 8 shards in mine, and stashed it over to my sin. Pure awesome on Sin (at level 56, my G8 daggers, refined to +3, were doing 900 per hit on a mob, The Penetrator at +3, was doing 2500 per hit on the same mobs), gonna use it until Level 70 when I can use my Unicorn with 2 sockets, two perfect Garnets in it, and +3 refine on it.
    I have to ask... is your sin a vit build or something? My so-so geared sin with a +2 level 46 dagger with 1 average garnet in it (found it in AH for like... 60k lol) was doing an average of 1kish per hit before even being able to use the daggers you're talking about. Meanwhile, with the Bow of the Goddess, I was only doing around 1.2kish without sparks... but I was also attacking much slower due to the difference in speed between daggers and bows.

So basically what I'm asking is... wtf was your sin doing to be outdamaged by a lower level sin with a worse weapon?
  • Assassinal - Heavens Tear
    Assassinal - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Why not get it? You can get it free from divine contracts so I don't see a point in not getting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Siggy by Silvychar.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011

and no do not get this bow, stick with the Shooter you got

A girl's nipple or two does usually get into my mouth, but that's about it.

• Genehoang - Lost City
    Genehoang - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    keep ur SS until W&C, get yourself a dragonfly assault blade, that's a very nice claws, u'll need it later if u cant afford gorenox vanity b:cute
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Meh. Personally, I wouldn't find holding back for that weapon as worth it. If he had another goal like leveling skills, getting a good LP genie, or simply managed to get the last orders prior to hitting 51, sure. However, keeping a lower level for a Penetrator when he has a weapon that can serve him quite fine til 69 (or 60 if he feels like going for TT60 as soon as he can get it) just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I have to ask... is your sin a vit build or something? My so-so geared sin with a +2 level 46 dagger with 1 average garnet in it (found it in AH for like... 60k lol) was doing an average of 1kish per hit before even being able to use the daggers you're talking about. Meanwhile, with the Bow of the Goddess, I was only doing around 1.2kish without sparks... but I was also attacking much slower due to the difference in speed between daggers and bows.

So basically what I'm asking is... wtf was your sin doing to be outdamaged by a lower level sin with a worse weapon?

Yeah, vit build. And you're right, it was more like 1.2k damage per hit, vs 2.5k damage on the bow. I've capped my base Vit at 60 for now. Easy to stat out later with a single restat note, and I still have a bunch of Dex and enough str for armor.

My sin is 61 right now. But... I'm out DDing Sins in the mid to late 60's right now, simply because I have blood moon bracers and refined daggers. b:chuckle I also have a set of tank daggers, and a set of DD daggers. Specifically, the lvl 56 Legendary daggers with the 5% HP regen proc and +11 vit for tanking, and the TT60 daggers with +11vit X2 for DDing.

If you're suggesting to use a lower level crossbow over The Penetrator, even though it's Legendary... Nuh uh. Crossbow has a lower APS, lower DPS, and... well... The Penetrator just looks awesome. I was out damaging archers at level 53 using The Penetratr on my Sin if they were using basically anything else. And that's with the penalty of not being able to set my hand on fire or use skills.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Dude, do whatever the hell you want. Be a gear ***** if it feels good.

But my personal story, I used quest reward weapons until level 60 when a friend of mine gave me his old archer's legendary xbow.
    i simply saw no need to spend that much time or money on weapons for levels that you don't exactly stay in for too long.