Change the rules for INI edits

Comments

• Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I'm in favor of what was already said here as well. "Extreme" cases like the posted example shouldn't be allowed

The problem of allowing .ini modification is : where to draw the line? Something extreme to someone might not be for someone else.

So one GM may ban someone for and edit, and another one would not.

It's easier to manage by simply not allowing any edition of the files.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Woneo - Harshlands
    Woneo - Harshlands Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Supported.
    Here is my sin without any fashion;

25upl6t.png

I am not harming anyone with my sin like this, and I like it better like this.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited April 2011

There was this one guy that i sent multiple tickets about over the course of a year (for him having tideborn hair) and nothing was ever done to him or about it.

Wow, OP is a jackass lolz.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The problem of allowing .ini modification is : where to draw the line? Something extreme to someone might not be for someone else.

So one GM may ban someone for and edit, and another one would not.

It's easier to manage by simply not allowing any edition of the files.

That can be accounted for with some basic rules. Really the only reason to disallow is size edits to gain a PvP advantage. As long as they include a line about characters not editing scale below X amount (/amount allowable by game slider) I see no grounds not to have the rule changed.

Granted it hasn't stopped me from editing characters anyway, but I do so currently with the full knowledge that if they are found/reported, they will be banned unless changed. In which case I'd probably just delete them anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • Fishlips - Harshlands
    Fishlips - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    i vote NO for the fun of itb:chuckleb:laughb:pleased
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Why? For reporting someone for breaking the stated rules of the game?

I took a video of someone doing just the same, using an air pet to glitch mobs, and sent it in in a ticket. Am I a jackass too?

I think PWI, and PWE, is ridiculously stupid over some things, like the air pet glitching, and not actually fixing it. But if they are gonna put rules up...

If you can't live with the rules, and you don't break them, that's one thing. If you can't live with them, and break them, don't pitch a fit when you get banned. Don't be surprised either.

I hate some of the rules, but I don't intentionally break them.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Vinat is not a Jackass. tyvm.

Anyway I support this. I think it's ridiculous that we can not use colors that we want to create our characters. What's the harm in having a bright red archer?

ALSO, PWE. Kindly, go on Lost City server. and count how many of your top paying customers would have to be banned if you PWE people actually equally enforced this rule.

Why not just ban the abusable modifications, and let me make my archer red-skinned :(

Also, why the hell are there no advanced makeover scrolls in this version? You people are starting to remind me of my middle school where dress code rules were enforced based on the principal's personal taste.

Another thing: Honestly, if you think a char is ugly, don't look at it. Why try to ban someone from making a char that would make someone with a proper sense of humor laugh just because it doesn't appeal to your aesthetic standards. Shame shame D:

One more thing: seriously why are there no advanced makeover scrolls in this game?
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited April 2011

I took a video of someone doing just the same, using an air pet to glitch mobs, and sent it in in a ticket. Am I a jackass too?

I think PWI, and PWE, is ridiculously stupid over some things, like the air pet glitching, and not actually fixing it. But if they are gonna put rules up...

If you can't live with the rules, and you don't break them, that's one thing. If you can't live with them, and break them, don't pitch a fit when you get banned. Don't be surprised either.

Yes.

Let's get real here: no one sees a barb with a mohawk and thinks "Holy ****, I need to report this atrocity!! I'm SOOOOOOOO offended and I'm sure dozens of orphans have been mortally wounded just so this guy can have a mohawk, it really ticks me off! b:angry" This is just a rule that people take advantage of to report people they're butthurt at out of pure and utter spite; if there were no butthurt between players then I doubt anyone would ever report this.

And then OP goes on to take action against this rule and mentions how it doesn't harm anyone and there's no point to the rule. WTF OP, you're a jackass!

Maybe it's just me, but if I disagree with a rule (like this one) then I don't go around reporting people for not following it.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Yes. Reporting is for angry noobs only

Lol jk

Completely off-topic, but it reminds me of joining a couple factions with japanese characters on their names, and then the leaders saying they got pmed by gms telling them to disband said factions or else... Then a few months ago saw a lot of WC spam of yet another japanese-character-named faction recruiting people. It must have been 2 months already, at least, and that faction is still around, and even lvl3 now XD

Back on topic:

If this changes were applied, what would we name the first beauty contest held after they took place? Miss Perfect Frog? b:puzzled
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2011

My veno spent 70 million coins (well ok, some cash too) on a nix that glitches on every bump in the landscape. I always fight from the air. I don't fight gouf because I know he doesn't fight back against air pets. But, since the nix always takes damage I don't think fighting from the air is wrong? If someone wants to follow me around taking videos, fine by me, but you would get pretty bored I am afraid.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Yes. Reporting is for angry noobs only

Lol jk

Completely off-topic, but it reminds me of joining a couple factions with japanese characters on their names, and then the leaders saying they got pmed by gms telling them to disband said factions or else... Then a few months ago saw a lot of WC spam of yet another japanese-character-named faction recruiting people. It must have been 2 months already, at least, and that faction is still around, and even lvl3 now XD

Back on topic:

If this changes were applied, what would we name the first beauty contest held after they took place? Miss Perfect Frog? b:puzzled

lolwat

I've reported dozens of people for ini hacks, that I have never seen before, and never seen after. I've reported people for glitching and for selling teles for 87,000 coins instead of 8,700. It pisses me off seeing people glitch, cheat or steal, and ini mods are just plain against the rules. got a problem with that? take it up with the GM's.
    My veno spent 70 million coins (well ok, some cash too) on a nix that glitches on every bump in the landscape. I always fight from the air. I don't fight gouf because I know he doesn't fight back against air pets. But, since the nix always takes damage I don't think fighting from the air is wrong? If someone wants to follow me around taking videos, fine by me, but you would get pretty bored I am afraid.

I was watching a Mystic use a Devil summon. They flew up above mobs, and sent the devil down at mobs. If the mobs attacked back, they would resummon and let the mob reset. If it didn't hit back, they would let the devil kill the mob.

THAT is glitching.

They need to freaking FIX the damn air pets getting stuck on the ground. Seriously. >_> Are they going to? It's been 3 years now and there's no fix yet.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    They need to freaking FIX the damn air pets getting stuck on the ground. Seriously. >_> Are they going to? It's been 3 years now and there's no fix yet.

More like 6 or 7 years instead. Game was released in 2004 or 2005 in China.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
    edited April 2011
    lolwat

I've reported dozens of people for ini hacks, that I have never seen before, and never seen after. I've reported people for glitching and for selling teles for 87,000 coins instead of 8,700. It pisses me off seeing people glitch, cheat or steal, and ini mods are just plain against the rules. got a problem with that? take it up with the GM's.
    Ah, yes. The convenient "'ITZ AGAINST THE RULEZ'-*mindlessly reports*" mindset.
    Abusing glitches is one thing, but customizing your character to your liking is another. I would and have reported barbs I see abusing their tiger form claw glitch, they sit there smugly pretending they are pro, while everyone else who's losing to them is unknowing and totally unaware of the glitch and it's OPness. I do hate to see people cheat their way up, but I wouldn't report a mohawk'd barb, no way.

Oh and nothing ever happened to that barb that I reported.

But anyway, the reason we are currently trying to overthrow this ini edit rule is because it is mindless and unfounded considering the common nature of edits people use. Reporting it for the simple anti-logic of "it's against the rules' is just as mindless. You are essentially ratting out the innocent, as there is really no harm in most of those edits. Looking at some PWI servers, a new player would probably assume they are legal anyway.
  • Sneakret - Heavens Tear
    Sneakret - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The other funny part here is that in order to take an existing character and give them a modified appearance, you must get a hold of a makeover scroll. This is a potential revenue for the game (though dq scrolls kinda gimp that).

I can't really say too much on it since more or less it's a don't ask don't tell similar policy but most people really don't care, they see it and move on. Honestly, if the company seriously cared, they'd just move the customization .ini files out of being client side stored. Or even make them in a special packet that only the game dll files can access.

If it truly bothers you, fine report it, but if you're upset because you don't know how, find someone that's done it and just ask. It's common sense...
    I can see what you see not,
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.
    Then you see what cannot be,
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited April 2011

What would be more pro-formal as a company. Is to 'add the option as a FEATURE not just an option where you have to edit the game files.

This makes it an option for everyone not just the people who can 'edit the INI files'
    Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I agree with allowing to edit the files, but to a certain extent.
    No making your chars SUPER skinny, stickpuppet-like... that would give unfair advantages in pvp.
    But per example for hair or eye textures, hell why not D: ?
    I saw a mohawk barb once, looked awesome imo and told him just that.
    There's no harm in editing the .ini files for colors, hairstyle or eye textures. I don't see the problem in editing those things...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    inb4twigswithboobies.

Nonetheless, I support this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    inb4twigswithboobies.

b:dirty
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    inb4twigswithboobies.

b:dirty

doesn't that give an advantage over male players in pvp? b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I "found" this for Boogie's viewing pleasure. I call it Twoob.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
    edited April 2011
    nomnomnom
  • OmegaToth - Harshlands
    OmegaToth - Harshlands Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Woneo..u bloody copycat..even the hair..tsk tsk Murder_Deat_Kill on you^^
    back to topic : imo as a final i would keep forbidden .ini edit but make true black n pk red and all other colours to be aviable in game. same goes for any hairdo.
  • Engeli - Sanctuary
    Engeli - Sanctuary Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    support this!!!!

i soo want the EG hair on my cleric *drools*
    although extreme cases like asterelle showed... errm.. nty xD

make it so its allowed to swap small things :)
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I agree with allowing to edit the files, but to a certain extent.
    No making your chars SUPER skinny, stickpuppet-like... that would give unfair advantages in pvp.
    But per example for hair or eye textures, hell why not D: ?
    I saw a mohawk barb once, looked awesome imo and told him just that.
    There's no harm in editing the .ini files for colors, hairstyle or eye textures. I don't see the problem in editing those things...

Actually, such edits should not be giving unfair advantages, as your character still takes up a "spot" on the PWI grid.

Setting uglies aside, this rule needs to be thrown out. It's already perfectly legal in the Chinese version, and as others have said, they seem to be "doing things because it is hwo China version does them" so why not continue that bandwagon of changes?

And the biggest reason to allow this is: MALE TIDEBORNS NEED FACIAL HAIR!b:angry
    edited April 2011
    And the biggest reason to allow this is: MALE TIDEBORNS NEED FACIAL HAIR!b:angry

What? Preposterous.
    I think it's obvious that all tideborn males are deficient in terms of puberty and thus lack the proper ability to grow facial hair.
  • Asthariel - Dreamweaver
    Asthariel - Dreamweaver Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    What? Preposterous.
    I think it's obvious that all tideborn males are deficient in terms of puberty and thus lack the proper ability to grow facial hair.

Have you ever seen any fish with hairs ? xD
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The reasoning behind the multi-client rule change was not "to be more like China", but to account for the fact that modifying game files was no longer necessary to multi-client.

Editing game files has always been against the rules, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon-
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I dont really see the harm in editing INI for hair and color changes. In many cases you cant even notice it.

However some INI- makovers are to extreme like those superskinny guys that you cant even target unless you use T. Kinda gives them unfair advantage in PvP to, since you have problems seeing them <.<

**** the size of a Mammoth mount makes me lag to i swear b:angry

But i guess you cant allow certain INI-files to be edited and others not. So the rule should probably stay the way it is.
    edited April 2011
    necessary to multi-client.

Editing game files has always been against the rules, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon-

That's what you said last time b:pleased

-places $50 on rule change within 4 weeks-
    edited April 2011
    Have you ever seen any fish with hairs ? xD

No but I imagine it would look like a metrosexual pre-teenage boy playing around with a fake mustache kit.

Or like that weird girl at my high school who used to wear a mustache for no particular reason.
This discussion has been closed.