Few quick questions

VelvetSin - Lost City
VelvetSin - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Wizard
After wandering what class should I be, my decision went on either Wizard or Psychic. I;m writing in Wizards' forum, 'cause I' leaning more to Wiz than to a Psy. OK, so my questions are:

1. Does Sage BIDS's Critical Hit Rate increase affects also THIS BIDS attack?

2. Sutra vs Tide Spirit - is it the same skill with the exception that TS increases also M. Atk or does TS increases channeling speed buy lesser amount?

3. AoE wise, it seems that Wiz has only 3 good AoEs - BT, BIDS and MS, while Psy has a lot of shorter-range spammable debuff AoEs, am I right?

4. Wiz is said to have great DPH, but the best Wiz's nukes are BT, BIDS, MS and then Glacial Snare, Sandstorm and Divine Pyrogram. How does they stand against Black Voodoo + Stone Smasher, Red Tide, Sandball Clush, Crystal Light?

5. Do all melee class like Frostblade or only APSers?

6. Is Wizard good at PvP?

7. And last one - it seems that Wizards are great but underrated extincting class which is very deadly when used smartly?

Thanks in advance b:thanks
Post edited by VelvetSin - Lost City on

Comments

• HardToThink - Lost City
    HardToThink - Lost City Posts: 967 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    After wandering what class should I be, my decision went on either Wizard or Psychic. I;m writing in Wizards' forum, 'cause I' leaning more to Wiz than to a Psy. OK, so my questions are:

2. Sutra vs Tide Spirit - is it the same skill with the exception that TS increases also M. Atk or does TS increases channeling speed buy lesser amount?

3. AoE wise, it seems that Wiz has only 3 good AoEs - BT, BIDS and MS, while Psy has a lot of shorter-range spammable debuff AoEs, am I right?

4. Wiz is said to have great DPH, but the best Wiz's nukes are BT, BIDS, MS and then Glacial Snare, Sandstorm and Divine Pyrogram. How does they stand against Black Voodoo + Stone Smasher, Red Tide, Sandball Clush, Crystal Light?

7. And last one - it seems that Wizards are great but underrated extincting class which is very deadly when used smartly?

Sage bids has the added 30% crit rate to your crit rate if it procs, and the spells used for the next 10 seconds after that

I dont know about ts because i'm not a psy but ts has a cast and channel time and stura doesnt.

No you aren't right i love my hailstorm b:cute

Wizards are imo fun to pk with, very good at group pvp and okay at 1vs1's but we get lolapsfish'd more than a well geared psy will

Um wizards are a great class which can be deadly if cash shopped extremely? idk we arent going to rambo a squad and live if thats what you mean :p
    Siggy from bellefleurs.
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/25yzm05jpg.png/[/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/HardToYawn?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
  • Galox - Heavens Tear
    Galox - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    1.) I'm not sure on this myself-- Some I've asked have said yes, others have said No..
    2.) They are almost the same, although, Wizards get a larger benefit from using Sutra because a lot of their skills have huge channel times. A Psychic has other things to use their sparks on.
    3.)Yes
    4.) I can oneshot a Psy with a Sandstorm Crit. He cannot oneshot me any of his nukes in Black Voodoo, and I'm LA. Stone Smasher + Black Voodoo would be almost hitting the same damage as BIDS.
    5.) Theres no negative effects; difference may be small, but you may aswell buff them with it.
    6.) Against any other class than Sins..they can be quite lethal. You'll have trouble with Archers too, but they're more manageable than Sins.
    7.) Extremely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:victory
  • Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide
    Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    unfortunately i'm not qualified to answer most of your questions.
    however in terms of aoe's you are forgetting a very important one. dragons breath.

also, tide spirit increases channeling speed (not that psy really need it)
    sutra eliminates it. (granted the increase in damage on tide spirit is very nice)

and yes, if played well and used in an intelligent manner then wizards are a very very deadly class. the problem is its a lot easier to play a psy and get good results then it is to play a wizard and do the same.
    patience is a virtue
  • VelvetSin - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Psy seems to be tricky class which requires good strategy and timing (Voodoos switching), Psychics Will, Soulburn etc. Do Wizards also have some "tricks" which are deadly when used well?
  • Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide
    Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Psy seems to be tricky class which requires good strategy and timing (Voodoos switching), Psychics Will, Soulburn etc. Do Wizards also have some "tricks" which are deadly when used well?

well, we can kite...

also we can 2-3 shot most mobs at our level in later levels.
    at level 42 i could grind lv60 foxwing supremes.

...oh yeah, i don't have it yet. but sporific vapor is an instant cast sleep that lets us open up against some poor poor player with a long casting hard hitting ultimate spell. kind of like shooting fish in a barrel b:chuckle (pun intended)
    patience is a virtue
  • Galox - Heavens Tear
    Galox - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Hm..

Make good use of Distance Shrink; It's Amazing.

Always keep Earth Barrier Up.

The Dragon's Breath is not a PvP skill. For PvE, sure, it's pretty cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:victory
  • VelvetSin - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Hm, I think I'll try the Wizzie out. Psychic also seems nice to me because of Voodos/Psychic Will/Soul skills and his quite nice nukes, but there are too many Psychics and too few Wizards b:surrender
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited April 2011

1. yes

2. psy skill is sutra on roids, esp with the lvl 11 version (we only have one level of it D:) On the other hand, wizard skills have higher channel times on average, so we see more benefit with these skills

3. We have several aoes, but our are kinda different from theirs. Where a psychics are mostly 8m aoes that require little to no chi and do moderate damage, our ultis are amazing. They take 2 sparks, but have a 12m range (thats more than twice the area that a psy will be hitting) and hit considerably more.. plus ours have awesome effects as well.

4. Psychics can hit slightly harder than a wizard, but wizards are an AoE DPH class. The fact that our ultis have a 12m range as opposed to a psychic's 8m range is HUGE. We also build chi much faster (and our only major chi uses are ultis/sutra..) so we can use our ultis much more than a psychic would.

5. I rarely get asked for it, although it does increase damage by a bit.

6. yes (but don't expect to put up a fight against sins)

7. mhm
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    psy with extremely high refine > wizard with extremely high refine

almost unkillable in tw
    when everyone can hit only once and gets sealed right after that

but full +12 gear is nothing everyone can aquire lol
    i like potato
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Yes, that's the reason people want this skill so much

As Androit said, Psychic has weaker and faster spells by default, so TS doesn't give as much "punch" for Psychics as Sutra gives for Wizards. Extra damage in TS is lesser than that after 1 spark :P

I don't like when people underestimate wizard AoE's:
    - Dragon's Breath: 2nd strongest Zhen skill in-game (after Seeker's Vortex). Deadly in FC, GV and in some TW situations (combined with Expel and anti-stun pot guarantees couple of kills and area of denial, e.g. around friendly catapult)
    - Hailstorm: fast non-spark AoE, great finisher if cast after sage (or even lvl 10) BIDS. In demon it becomes a reliable AoE freeze
    - Will of Phoenix: small, close range AoE but casts extremely fast, hits hard and has low cooldown
    - Emberstorm: pointless to level it unless to learn demon version, useful even on lvl 1 as insta cast non-spark AoE. Gives Chi and knocks unsuspecting sins out of stealth (only noob ones though). Amazing in demon since has 50% chance to stun
    - Last but not least, our 3 ultis are what makes wizards feared in TWs, since we will always have at least 1 of them ready to cast as soon as we build 2 sparks

It all depends on gear, really. Rank 9 psychic oneshots people just as rank 9 wizard does.
    Few things to remember:
    - Wizard's ultis are lvl 59 skills, hardest hitting Psychic skills are level 100 made from Chrono pages so much less obtainable
    - Psychic gets double benefit from high refines thanks to Soulforce (not only damage-wise)
    - Wizard's Blade Tempest hits hard with physical damage by default, Psychic's Red Tide only if you got really high Soulforce. BT can crit, Red Tide's bleed can't. Bleed can be removed by genie Cauterize, cleric's Purify or by triple sparking.

I've encountered even clerics asking for "shiny" hand :P
    I like buffing any physical damage class with it, it's extra damage dealt for free after all.

It's never class dependant. You can fail at any class, you can rock at any class, depends on how you build your char and how you play it.
    But if you want to generalize like that: sins dominated world PvP, period. In TW, though, wizards still play extremely important role due to ability of killing big amounts of enemies in short time (AoEs) + ability to deliver high burst damage, important in killing catabarbs (Essential Sutra).

Playing a wizard is frustrating at the times, requires time and patience but it rewards you with piles of enemy bodies and high numbers in damage logs of your opponents during every TW.

One word of warning though: times are crazy now, don't roll wizard if you don't plan to get high refined Lunar wand or r8 at least. If you can get rank 8 weapon to a decent refine though you will enjoy running around and randomly oneshotting people.

Answers in ugly purple, hope it helped.
    Packs World International
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Psys role in TW is more of a crowd control aoe class. Kind of like a ranged BM that deals more damage. Wizards main roles are to take out the BMs and barbs and drop ultis whenever possible.

That's the main difference that I've found in my firsthand experiences with both classes.

Also, it helps if you trash talk your rival factions enough that their melees hate target you and try to attack you while you're in psy will so the rest of your squad can pick them off.
This discussion has been closed.